• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I guarantee I'll enjoy this WAY more than Ghostbusters. Thought GB was a 6/10 and totally forgettable. Are the DC movies being held to some subconscious standard of superhero movie making? Just because they're not as light hearted as the Marvel movies they get reviewed harsher? I'll find out in 3 days.

EDIT - It was a rhetorical question! I know there's no bias, haha.

I want to ask a serious question to all the people who had high hopes for Suicide Squad and thought it looked better than BvS: How?

It always looked like complete garbage with worse decisions than any recent comic book movie. BvS was trash, but it always looked better than Suicide Squad.

They got the irreverent tone down, which was what sold me since the first trailer.

I'm a little disappointed by the scores, because I had some faith DC would strike it out of the ballpark with this one, instead of BVS. Now it just seems like both will fall short of expectations.

I guarantee I'll enjoy this WAY more than Ghostbusters. Thought GB was a 6/10 and totally forgettable. Are the DC movies being held to some subconscious standard of superhero movie making? Just because they're not as light hearted as the Marvel movies they get reviewed harsher? I'll find out in 3 days.

No, they get worse reviews than Marvel's movies because they're worse than Marvel's movies.

Real Hero

No it's because they are not considered to be as good. Pretty simple

The truth is so hard for some of you to handle.

- J - D -

image.php

If only we got this instead...

Potential future DC movie spoilers:
If they do a Return of Superman film I am so so so down for Cage to be one of the imposters. Honestly it'd be a fantastic move.

You mock, but I'd rather have gotten Burton's Superman than anything the modern DCCU has given us.

pestul

Wow, that's really late. My anticipation for Suicide Squad was pretty high until last week when I realized the embargo was on the day before the international release. It's not always a bad sign but after BvS..

And Mark was the only one who gave BvS a rotten score if I recall correctly, even though it was pretty clear that none of them enjoyed it all that much aside from Campea. But yeah, he' probably going to like the soundtrack at least.
My guess: Denis - Dislike, Schnepp - Could go either way probably hate, Mark E - Like, Kristian - Dislike, Campea - Fair, Tiffany - Praise (DC all access blinded), Mark R - Like.

CrayToes

Have we had any accusations of biased reviewers yet? Or bribery? Or maybe claims that the movie is getting shat on because it's not a "Disney kiddie" movie?

Those posts are the best.

tomtom94

People are gonna say "critics hated Deadpool" but Deadpool still got over 60%.

On the basis of this and Ghostbusters it seems there is an inverse relationship between trailers and movie quality.

jackal27

Banned
My word. I was actually rooting for this one too. Hoped it could take some of that Deadpool edge and charm and spread it around.

Yet another movie I'm skipping this summer... What the hell is going on with Hollywood this year?

You haven't seen the movie yet, but you *know* it will be better than GB16.

Ah.

---

Also, reviewers are biased?

Do you happen to think the Earth is flat?

--

Have we had any accusations of biased reviewers yet? Or bribery? Or maybe claims that the movie is getting shat on because it's not a "Disney kiddie" movie?

Those posts are the best.

My friend, we are already well under way.

jmood88

Between Marvel's predictable, paint-by-numbers formula (complete with utterly forgettable villains) and DC's baffling lack of cohesive screenwriting, quality direction, and sensible editing decisions...I just want this whole comic book genre craze to die.

These films just aren't doing it for me anymore.
Then don't watch them.

I don't think they see it until tonight and I wouldn't call their BVS review relatively positive. Outside of Campea everyone else was disappointed and Schnepp hated it.

I almost missed you post, this thread moves too fast!
I know they weren't that positive on it but they all gave it a good score aside from Mark I think. Schnepp gave it a 6 or 6.5 and the other guys were in the 7-8 range. I really like the Collider team but they are stuck in game reviewer mode where they almost never give a score below 5 no matter how much they dislike a movie.
Not that a score matters that much but it always drives me nuts at the end of their reviews when it clearly doesn't matches what they said!

-griffy-

Banned
I mean, it's not dead in the sense of making money - people are still flocking to see superhero movies in record numbers - but it seems to be well and dead are far as original IPs from creative masterminds becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist. Like, Jaws and ET for example were, in addition to huge hits, just flat out great films. What has happened?

The literal most original blockbuster of the year is Central Intelligence. Runner up is probably Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, being at the least a new original story specifically for film rather than a straight sequel or adaptation or remake or preboot or whatever, even though it's part of an existing series. That's kind of crazy.

I guess Zootopia wins handily if you count that though. 10 Cloverfield Lane probably deserves a mention, but that gets kind of murky by starting an anthology Cloverfield series and also not exactly being a big blockbuster.

Kickz

My word. I was actually rooting for this one too. Hoped it could take some of that Deadpool edge and charm and spread it around.

Yet another movie I'm skipping this summer... What the hell is going on with Hollywood this year?

One of the worst summers in memory

Ithil

Hilarious given this film has specifically sold itself as being light hearted and fun.

Nothing Hollywood is doing has changed, audiences are just finally wising up thanks to social media and not buying into any of their tired retreaded shit.

This is a good thing.

Well thank god it's only a shit movie. We were nearly in trouble there.
You literally didn't understand my point. At all. Almost as bad as the other guy who made the conclusion that I thought the media had a marvel bias. Not even gonna address that strawman.

Maximus.

Seems that Warner Bros and DC are trying so hard to make these movies work, that they forgot how to make good movies.

I just want to know if Joker and Harley have good portrayals.

Sweet baby Jesus.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
You haven't seen the movie yet, but you *know* it will be better than GB16.

Ah.

---

Also, reviewers are biased?

Do you happen to think the Earth is flat?
It was a rhetorical question which I answered myself. I don't actually believe there's a critic bias. I'm not stupid.

Toxi

Banned
People are gonna say "critics hated Deadpool" but Deadpool still got over 60%.

On the basis of this and Ghostbusters it seems there is an inverse relationship between trailers and movie quality.
Deadpool has an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom