• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

We can only hope.

This is the year that simultaneously destroyed an attempt at a cinematic universe (DC) and the practice of splitting movies in two parts (Detergent series). So it was good for something. Both of these Hollywood shenanigans need to die.

I mean, it's not dead in the sense of making money - people are still flocking to see superhero movies in record numbers - but it seems to be well and dead are far as original IPs from creative masterminds becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist. Like, Jaws and ET for example were, in addition to huge hits, just flat out great films. What has happened?

What basis do you have for claiming it is "probably" not shit?
If you're gonna quote me, actually quote me.

I said probably not complete shit. It's not exactly a well kept secret that reviewers are encouraged to put some pun in their titles and thrash films for more views. BvS had zeros across the board. The general consensus afterwards was that the film was indeed bad, but not the 0/5 the media was trying so hard to sell. Even now, as we have some good reviews coming in, the majority of this thread is anticipating these hilarious, scathing reviews.

I mean...fuck.

I feel like this movie really lives or dies on Margot Robbie and Jared Leto's performances. They're playing arguably the two most beloved villains in the DCU, and if they falter, it's doomed.

How is DC run? I know the directors have some say, but Marvel films seem like they're mainly studio projects similar to the James Bond franchise. Is DC similar?

DC stuff is largely director-driven. WB will come in and overrule them at times (like with the BvS theatrical edit), but mostly they are allowed to do what they want.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Im getting Sucker Punch vibes from the reviews. Will watch the film and see whats up anyway.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
How is DC run? I know the directors have some say, but Marvel films seem like they're mainly studio projects similar to the James Bond franchise. Is DC similar?

Directors get creative control, for the most part. Snyder got it with MoS, not much so with BvS. Ayer got what he wanted with this one. Funny how people were all on the fuck Zack thing after the BvS reviews hit, but now it's suddenly WB/DC fucking it up and not the director (who actually did get the creative freedom he wanted).

This will also lead to Petty Jenkins being kicked out of the editing room.

While I have no doubt that this movie is an absolute mess. I am struck by just how antagonistic some of these reviews comes off. Not a good look for critics tbh.

This was always going to suck. Lets take C tier batman villains and an include a cameo from Joker and make a movie out of it.

The animated version was great (Assault on Arkham had nearly the exact same premise and core team members).

I'm still hyped. Will Smith and Margot Robbie have too much chemistry for this to be outright bad.

Ithil

I said probably not complete shit. It's not exactly a well kept secret that reviewers are encouraged to put some pun in their titles and thrash films for more views. BvS had zeros across the board. The general consensus afterwards was that the film was indeed bad, but not the 0/5 the media was trying so hard to sell. Even now, as we have some good reviews coming in, the majority of this thread is anticipating these hilarious, scathing reviews.

I mean...fuck.

What "general consensus" is this, exactly?

Spaghetti

Woof, some of those reviews are acidic.

I can't help feel this film is still shouldering the sins of Batman v Superman and maybe that skewed reviews more negatively than they should have been, but clearly some marks were missed.

It doesn't give the impression of being a crushing bore like BvS from the trailers though, so I'm happy enough to actually go and see this, whereas I will never, ever pay to see something Snyder directed ever again.

They don't see it until tonight. I'm interested to see what the Schmoes guys think of it. I could see Mark liking it (he's sometimes clouded by loud music blaring), but I know Kristian is going to hate it.

Wow, that's really late. My anticipation for Suicide Squad was pretty high until last week when I realized the embargo was on the day before the international release. It's not always a bad sign but after BvS..

And Mark was the only one who gave BvS a rotten score if I recall correctly, even though it was pretty clear that none of them enjoyed it all that much aside from Campea. But yeah, he' probably going to like the soundtrack at least.

nicanica

yrOR3Eq.jpg

Ooooooh. Deep cut.

blackflag

Suicide Squad may be a bad movie but how fun is it?

THIS. Batman vs. Superman just looked terrible so I skipped it in theaters...rental confirmed it's terribleness.

This one I'll see in the theater because Harley. I'm just hoping it's fun. I don't really care if this is bad or not. It looks cheesy enough to be fun either way...I hope.

Damn, I wish we could go back to the golden days of quality DC films like Man of Steel.

image.php

If only we got this instead...

Potential future DC movie spoilers:
If they do a Return of Superman film I am so so so down for Cage to be one of the imposters. Honestly it'd be a fantastic move.

VanWinkle

While I have no doubt that this movie is an absolute mess. I am struck by just how antagonistic some of these reviews comes off. Not a good look for critics tbh.

It's a little weird but I do think it's common among all movies that they don't like. The more hyperbolic they are the more likely they are to get read.

Nokterian

BvS was a "Why am I watching this?" movie
sounds like this is too

I did find Man of Steel entertaining

BvS made my brain melt..sure ben as bats was cool and all he deserves his own movie but good god it was terrible and i expected nothing less from this one either. To me the trailers already did nothing and now seeing how those trailers mislead everything that's confusing the audience as a whole.

As a DC fan, I was out after MoS and it seems I'm not missing much from their Cinematic Universe. The only thing I was holding out for was Guillermo del Toro's Justice League Dark and that got dropped.

Oh well, maybe next reboot.

I mean...fuck.

BvS had an average score of 4.9 or something. Definitely not zeroes across the board

PBY

Banned

I mean...fuck.
I mean, you haven't seen it tho?

RDreamer

I swear to god if this actually turns out as fucking amazing as BvS did I'm never trusting reviewers on comic book movies again.

When a movie seems to be this much of an insult to a viewer's time and money, critics have a right to pan it for being an insult to the senses.

I mean, Deuce Bigelow 2 got shit on like this too. Can't believe I'm comparing the two, but there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom