• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodust

Banned
I want to ask a serious question to all the people who had high hopes for Suicide Squad and thought it looked better than BvS: How?

It always looked like complete garbage with worse decisions than any recent comic book movie. BvS was trash, but it always looked better than Suicide Squad.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
yrOR3Eq.jpg
<3

pestul

I wonder how the Collider guys will review this, they gave a relatively positive review to BvS. Their live show happens in one hour.
They don't see it until tonight. I'm interested to see what the Schmoes guys think of it. I could see Mark liking it (he's sometimes clouded by loud music blaring), but I know Kristian is going to hate it.

I want to ask a serious question to all the people who had high hopes for Suicide Squad and thought it looked better than BvS: How?

It always looked like complete garbage with worse decisions than any recent comic book movie. BvS was trash, but it always looked better than Suicide Squad.

Because it looked like it didn't take itself too seriously which means even if it was bad it still had a chance of having some fun

zeshakag

It's crazy how biased all reviewers are against DC films. Do you suppose it's that they are being paid off by Disney, that they just always hated good honest superheroes like Superman, Batman, and Joker, or that they love the "fun" and "lightheartedness" of Marvel movies and want all movies to be crappy and dumb like that and so can't enjoy solid arthouse films like DC makes?

Can't wait for Justice League by Terrence Malick and how it explores the theme of how no matter what superpowers villains or heroes have, we are all simple byproducts of the cosmos that must eventually return to dust.

Guevara

Yikes at these reviews.

All I want is for DC to get it together in time for us to get a decent Justice League movie. Is that too much to ask?!

Because that's not possible at all, right? I'm not saying the movie isn't shit, I'm saying it's probably not complete shit.

You aren't just saying it's possible, you're saying it's true. You also have no reason to claim as such other than 'Marvel movies = well-received, and DC movies = terribly received"

Don't go down this path, you're embarrassing yourself.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Because that's not possible at all, right? I'm not saying the movie isn't shit, I'm saying it's probably not complete shit.

There isn't some super secret movie critics cabal where they plot out ahead of time what movies will get bad scores. People are going to click on the review because of the movie they're reviewing, bad or good. There is going to be more interest in a Suicide Squad review than there would be for some art house film.

Sometimes studios just release bad films. It isn't a conspiracy or a supernatural event. So no, it isn't possible. Why wouldn't they give Civil War bad reviews or Star Trek Beyond (something that most people were down on before it was released)?

Son Of D

Reading some of the reviews and I keep seeing that the editing is a mess. Really hated the editing in BvS and it's really putting me off if it's as bad as that in Suicide Squad.

175 million.

Thanks. No idea how to calculate what it needs to break even but I'm guessing at least something like $600m to $700m?

pestul

Shame. DC has a real uphill battle with their cinematic universe. As a big DC comics fan, it saddens me.
I think WB screwed them over by demanding the Justice League so fast to catch Avengers. The development would have gone so much better 1-2 characters at a time per film.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait, so does GAF now hate Civil War? I know its been a rough summer, but are we now retroactively shit-binning that movie due to a few other clunkers?

Kusagari

I have zero faith that any movie where Snyder's name isn't attached somewhere will be good. And he's on Wonder Woman so that will suck to.

Him merely having his name mentioned will cause a movie to be trash.

Used condoms or not, I question what part of his character Leto was trying to embrace here, what "method" he was getting at one might say. Did I miss the comics where Joker tortured Batman by sending him condoms?

Harmen

Wow, I really thought this was going to be "the good one", with a moderate to high success.

Damn, I for one think some of Ayer's films are really great and would love to see Will Smith in a great blockbuster again and I like many of the other cast members as well. Too bad, I hope I will be able to enjoy it, but I thought BvS was a pretty crappy movie deserving of it's critical response. Same goes for MoS.

blackflag

not only critics, just read the threads for the justice league and dr strange trailers from comic con.

i mean i know dc movies arent freaking the godfather or the exorcist, but c'mon! neither are marvel ones

Neither one needs to be the Godfather for us to notice the vast difference between Marvel and DC in the quality of writing and presentation.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They all had fun. Something critics apparently don't like

I hate this argument....the actors had fun shooting the movie! Those stupid critics giving the film a bad score must just hate fun. Poo hoo!

You are disregarding the actual film in this argument and that is always worrisome.

number11

How is DC run? I know the directors have some say, but Marvel films seem like they're mainly studio projects similar to the James Bond franchise. Is DC similar?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Oh let's add that Jai Courtney inflicted self damage and using drugs to get into the role of Boomerang...yeah that's not how you do for a role..it is plain stupid doing shit like that.

He most likely does drugs anyway or gives them to people to land huge roles.

pestul

Reading some of the reviews and I keep seeing that the editing is a mess. Really hated the editing in BvS and it's really putting me off if it's as bad as that in Suicide Squad.

Thanks. No idea how to calculate what it needs to break even but I'm guessing at least something like $600m to $700m?
I'm going to guess that a literal fuck ton of marketing budget on this one (possibly more than BvS). So probably $500-600M world wide just for breakeven. It's going to do great regardless opening weekend, 2nd week will be interesting. Maybe RT% will buck trend and it will actually keep going up lol.

Simo

Didn't BVS also get those before release too? :p

NEVER trust early reviews from comic fans

Yeah but when I brought up a critic hearing SS was bad last week he chimed in to tell me on the community side that it was getting more positive impressions and much more than BvS first got...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom