• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

1398.gif

Beyond was great, the trailers and makreting fucked it over. Meanwhile, Jason Bourne is a hit and it was dull as nails.

?

Ghostbusters had bad trailers and was a bad movie.

This atleast had great trailers, and now we're left with what seems to be a real stinker.

herewegoagain.gif

GB2016 was a *good* movie by all objective viewpoints. It is certified fresh and rated higher than Jurassic World, which while I despised JW, most thought it was ok>good at minimum.

Suicide Squad is not looking to be up to par with GB2016.

If this upsets you, I'm not sorry.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lololol Devin Faraci with the (barely) positive review
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/02/suicide-squad-is-a-huge-mess

So I’ll be giving Suicide Squad a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, if only because the site doesn’t let you give a mixed review. This movie is barely fresh, but it represents a step forward for the DC movies. It took a film full of supervillains to make a film about people who want to be heroes, but I’ll take what I can get from these guys. And honestly, any movie that makes me deeply care about El Diablo and Harley Quinn (a character I never, ever liked), isn’t all bad.

It’s just mostly bad.

spookyfish

Nothing Hollywood is doing has changed, audiences are just finally wising up thanks to social media and not buying into any of their tired retreaded shit.

This is a good thing.

Agreed. The studios could cut back on the number of movies produced and released in a year, for one thing. If the demand isn't there (it clearly isn't, for most studios) then cut the supply.

icespide

Banned
I'm probably getting more enjoyment out of this thread and Twitter meltdowns than I would have from a good Suicide Squad movie.

yeah but thats different then actually being happy the movie is bad. the threads that come from dumpster fire movies are fun and enjoyable, but I'd still rather the movie be good

So what's gonna be the first fresh DCEU film? I hear James Wan can actually make a coherent movie, so maybe Aquaman.

If it ends up being a Cyborg movie, just shoot me now.

Dissapointing if it's actually as bad as critics make it seem, though I'll be seeing it anyway to see for myself. I'm still hoping that Affleck can pull of a really good solo Batman movie.

It's like DC can't make a movie anymore lol. Marvel is on fire for the most part and DC is just straight terrible! They need to find better directors.

Wonder Woman has a great director and I am willing to bet anyone in this thread it will be the highest rated DCCU film for the next 5 years at minimum.

So what's gonna be the first fresh DCEU film? I hear James Wan can actually make a coherent movie, so maybe Aquaman.

If it ends up being a Cyborg movie, just shoot me now.

siren.gif

looks like it is time for a protest vote

one-sheet-web-res.jpg

Come on people you know what to do this weekend at the ticket booth. Aren't you guys tired of voting for the lesser of two evils?

meanspartan

How the fuck does WB let their DC cinematic universe get off to such a shit start, then still insist on rushing out a Justice League without even giving everyone a standalone film? Hell, they rushed fucking Doomsday for no apparent reason.

It remains stunning to me that any studio can have this much money on the line and so hilariously fuck it up.

This is probably the only one I had some hope for, and while I'm sure it'll still be passable fun, it is now definitively clear that DC is going to stay inferior to the MCU.

Fuck it. Scrap it, and bring back Nolan and crew to do a Dark Knight Returns with Bale. (Ya, I know Rises kinda was that already). Sad to be saying that, cuz Affleck is actually a good batman.

You mock, but I'd rather have gotten Burton's Superman than anything the modern DCCU has given us.

Oh no dude I'm on the level. Shit would've been interesting, certainly would've had more depth than the shit Snyder is serving us. Plus I'm really curious as to how Cage would play the role. His geeky Clark Kent would be fabulous at the very least.

pestul

Wonder how audiences will like it.

Another 60-70℅ second weekend drop?
I dunno, it doesn't really have much in the genre to contend with for quite some time. I don't think Sausage Party, Pete's Dragon or Ben Hur are going to knock it down much. This film might do really well even with a sub 40% RT score.

icespide

Banned
So did the reshoots really try to make the movie more like Deadpool like rumors sugested?

last I read, the speculation was that the reshoots were to have less Joker and more Deadshot, and to make the Harley/Joker relationship less abusive and more true love

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
At what point do you think people will stopped getting hyped for these films? Lets just say Wonder Woman reviews poorly (Please please don't let this happen), same with Justice League and Flash. Do you think there would be a point where people wouldn't show up the next film? Like could you imagine after all that the solo Batman doing poorly?

meanspartan

I guarantee I'll enjoy this WAY more than Ghostbusters. Thought GB was a 6/10 and totally forgettable. Are the DC movies being held to some subconscious standard of superhero movie making? Just because they're not as light hearted as the Marvel movies they get reviewed harsher? I'll find out in 3 days.

EDIT - It was a rhetorical question! I know there's no bias, haha.

Being grimdark does not equate to depth or emotion or seriousness. While they are slightly more "Grounded" than the MCU, they somehow still feel way more artificial.

This isn't true in the slightest - Marvel villains have personal connections to the Heroes, being their brother, their mentor, their best friend, etc, they have goals and motivations of their own, they have actual personality and character.

DC so far has had two villains that are lumps of hitpoints with no motivation, in fact they're so mindless they're barely sentient - Doomsday and
the Adversary
, and are about to get another in Steppenwolf.

If the next Spiderman film had Carnage as a villain, who is a similar pile of uninteresting, impersonal, mindless hitpoints as DC's villains, then maybe they'd be equal comparisons.

Spoilers!
To each his own of course, but I never liked any of the Marvel villains aside from Loki and Zemo. That last one is strange, I know, I just thought the actor sold it well in his scene with Black Panther, also he won. But in general, their ties to the heroes are too fomulaic at this point, it already felt tired with Jeff Bridges in Iron Man 1. I think the DC villains have historically been a lot better up until Man of Steel with Zod being the last good one imo. And as I mentioned in another post, I agree with you that Steppenwolf worries me. I don't want Doomsday 2.0.

meanspartan

At what point do you think people will stopped getting hyped for these films? Lets just say Wonder Woman reviews poorly (Please please don't let this happen), same with Justice League and Flash. Do you think there would be a point where people wouldn't show up the next film? Like could you imagine after all that the solo Batman doing poorly?

Which would be ironic, because if Affleck is indeed directing that one, it may very well be good. But we'll see.

Blader

Well, we don't have an Espilbergo these days for starters. Even Spielberg doesn't deliver Spielberg-tier quality or success.

It's the age of the IP, the franchise, the trilogy, the cinematic universe, the young adult book adaptation, the reboot, the remake. There ain't no room for no original blockbuster IP. And when your movies cost 100~200 million dollars, you're gonna for the the alleged safe route.

I don't think any of these things are inherently bad. Many of the greatest (or at least widely acclaimed) movies of all time are adaptations. Franchises and cinematic universes have existed since the 30s.

The cost of movies is definitely a problem, because it makes studios scared shitless about anything that doesn't have cookie-cutter four-quadrant appeal. But I think even that has gotten overhyped, because as four-quadrant as stuff like the Marvel movies can be, they're still interesting and engaging and fun in a way that 90% of summer blockbusters don't come close to.

No I don't have a damaged tattoo. I didn't even particularly like that design at all. Could have been much better. I'm not saying Suicide Squad is a good movie. It could be terrible. I don't know yet as I haven't seen it. I do know I fucking loved BvS, and I do know Thor was one of the worst movies I've ever had to sit through. I was pretty down on DC even attempting a cinematic universe when hey were hyping up on it. Didn't really want it nor did I care for it, but BvS made me want it now. I was engaged in a way Marvel never really did.

I also think there's something weird going on with how people seem to perceive the Marvel movies which by now are insanely boring and predictable to me. They all seem like brightly colored popcorn fests with not much more to them. Writing is passable. Cinematography is ok at best. The big Marvel movie I'm really looking forward to is Doctor Strange because that seems at least a bit different.
No, that's not weird at all. It's actually quite normal. It's people having different opinions.
For example, I like Resident Evil 6. I'm not saying the world is wrong for not agreeing with me.

Kickz

Spoilers!
To each his own of course, but I never liked any of the Marvel villains aside from Loki and Zemo. That last one is strange, I know, I just thought the actor sold it well in his scene with Black Panther, also he won. But in general, their ties to the heroes are too fomulaic at this point, it already felt tired with Jeff Bridges in Iron Man 1. I think the DC villains have historically been a lot better up until Man of Stee with Zod being the last good one imol. And as I mentioned in another post, I agree with you that Steppenwolf worries me. I don't want Doomsday 2.0.

No doubt, the one thing DC usually beats Marvel in is real villains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom