• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I mean, it's not dead in the sense of making money - people are still flocking to see superhero movies in record numbers - but it seems to be well and dead are far as original IPs from creative masterminds becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist. Like, Jaws and ET for example were, in addition to huge hits, just flat out great films. What has happened?

Jaws was an adaptation of a best-selling book. :p

I guarantee I'll enjoy this WAY more than Ghostbusters. Thought GB was a 6/10 and totally forgettable. Are the DC movies being held to some subconscious standard of superhero movie making? Just because they're not as light hearted as the Marvel movies they get reviewed harsher? I'll find out in 3 days.
"Stop having standards, guys!"

Simo

holy shit Ryan. lol
13729107_873091892834934_6655701041936544315_n.jpg

It wasn't until I got home the next morning that I realized my right arm and both balls were missing. Worth it. @mutant101

Ouch at the telegraph review. It just needed to be Guardians will actual villains DC.

It's not that simple though. It's much easier to make a film about good guys being (mostly) good guys.

It's very hard to make a bunch of murderers fighting another murderer(s) likeable

HotHamBoy

I said this in the spoiler thread, but...

Saying I knew this movie would be lame is like saying I knew expired milk would be spoiled.

Black_Red

I'll never understand the people being happy because a movie is bad :s, I guess comic book wars are weird.

I wanted this movie to be good, and I liked most of the trailers, but the "we're bad guys, it's what we do" was always a bad sign...

What are the chances of Justice League being delayed after this? Because there's no reason to have faith in that being a good project as well at this point.

I don't believe in the conspiracy theories or that critics are paid off by Marvel but it's kind of shitty how they have been given a pass for that on almost all of their films but when it's DC...

This isn't true in the slightest - Marvel villains have personal connections to the Heroes, being their brother, their mentor, their best friend, etc, they have goals and motivations of their own, they have actual personality and character.

DC so far has had two villains that are lumps of hitpoints with no relationships, no character, no motivation, in fact they're so mindless they're barely sentient - Doomsday and the Adversary, and are about to get another in Steppenwolf.

If the next Spiderman film had Carnage as a villain, who is a similar pile of uninteresting, impersonal, mindless hitpoints as DC's villains, then maybe they'd be equal comparisons.

Order

Nah, there's something else going on. When that piece of fucking garbage Thor manages to score 77% and is considered somehow "better" than BvS I don't even know what to say.
Thor isn't great, bit it's way better than BvS. BvS is straight up garbage.

icespide

Banned
I'll never understand the people being happy because a movie es bad :s, I guess comic book wars are weird.

I wanted this movie to be good, and I liked most of the trailers, but the "we're bad guys, it's what we do" was always a bad sign...

I don't think anyone is actually happy its bad

tkscz

You haven't seen the movie yet, but you *know* it will be better than GB16.

Ah.

---

Also, reviewers are biased?

Do you happen to think the Earth is flat?

--

My friend, we are already well under way.

Honestly, I say it'll be better than GB as long as the JOKES FUCKING STOP! Holy shit, watching some of the gags in GB was like watching someone tell a joke and then try to explain it.
We get it, it's a middle finger, you can stop. We get it, he's stupid, you can stop now. We get it, the ghost is on your shoulders, you can stop now.
Man, I hate when jokes are stretch to hell.

pestul

The part of the reviews that bothers me the most is the common thread of 'messy editing'. I fucking hate disjointed films.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
When a movie seems to be this much of an insult to a viewer's time and money, critics have a right to pan it for being an insult to the senses.

I mean, Deuce Bigelow 2 got shit on like this too. Can't believe I'm comparing the two, but there you go.

Exactly. I think people get confused because they say things like "No way can Batman v Superman be worse than [insert movie with similar RT score]" but sometimes a film can just be tiring. Yeah, maybe it's filmed better and has better special effects than lower budget films, but I just felt exhausted after Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut. 3 hours of your time getting taken out for an unsatisfying experience just makes it sting even more. I especially will dislike a film if it insults my intelligence with a dumb twist or lazy characterization.

Reading a lot of the reviews the consensus seems to be that it isn't as fun or edgy as it thinks it is. Which I could see being a huge problem. If the entire point of this movie is that it shows the fun side of the DC with villains and there isn't fun or real villainy to be found...well, it's going to get hammered.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
What are the chances of Justice League being delayed after this? Because there's no reason to have faith in that being a good project as well at this point.
None if this still makes money. Though everything not currently in development will probably undergo some checks.

Shaanyboi

Banned
People are gonna say "critics hated Deadpool" but Deadpool still got over 60%.

On the basis of this and Ghostbusters it seems there is an inverse relationship between trailers and movie quality.
?

Ghostbusters had bad trailers and was a bad movie.

This atleast had great trailers, and now we're left with what seems to be a real stinker.

Bleepey

The Trailers went from dark and heavy to blaring out Queen back in January. As a reminder, here is the first trailer that came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

now here is the fun fast edit and colorful trailer from January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

The juxtaposition and confusion are clear. When you jump that drastically, tonally, as they have for the trailers, it (rightly it would seem in this case) indicated the studio did not have a vision for this movie from the get go.

They have been describing the movie as a comedy since the comic con trailer leaked.

JABEE

Superhero films all blend together in my mind now. The only modern ones that were memorable are Iron Man 1 and the first two Nolan Batman movies.

inky

I guarantee I'll enjoy this WAY more than Ghostbusters. Thought GB was a 6/10 and totally forgettable. Are the DC movies being held to some subconscious standard of superhero movie making? Just because they're not as light hearted as the Marvel movies they get reviewed harsher? I'll find out in 3 days.

Like clockwork. LOL

It won't, they already course-corrected for it after BvS. Wonder Women though, do not be surprised if WB just says "Fuck it" and sends it out to die.

jett

D-Member
I mean, it's not dead in the sense of making money - people are still flocking to see superhero movies in record numbers - but it seems to be well and dead are far as original IPs from creative masterminds becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist. Like, Jaws and ET for example were, in addition to huge hits, just flat out great films. What has happened?

Well, we don't have an Espilbergo these days for starters. Even Spielberg doesn't deliver Spielberg-tier quality or success.

It's the age of the IP, the franchise, the trilogy, the cinematic universe, the young adult book adaptation, the reboot, the remake. There ain't no room for no original blockbuster IP. And when your movies cost 100~200 million dollars, you're gonna for the the alleged safe route.

?

Ghostbusters had bad trailers and was a bad movie.

This atleast had great trailers, and now we're left with what seems to be a real stinker.

I think he means Ghostbusters had awful marketing and was generally well received. This had great marketing and seems to be rejected

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So BO wise I'm expecting this to do solid on entry thanks to marketing but will probably crash like BvS soon after.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the original of that evans laugh anyway?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Well, we don't have an Espilbergo these days for starters. Even Spielberg doesn't deliver Spielberg-tier quality or success.

It's the age of the IP, the franchise, the trilogy, the cinematic universe, the young adult book adaptation, the reboot, the remake. There's ain't no room for no original blockbuster IP. And when your movies cost 100~200 million dollars, you're gonna for the the alleged safe route.

We still got Nolan, it's all good.

RDreamer

Do you have a DAMAGED tattoo?

No I don't have a damaged tattoo. I didn't even particularly like that design at all. Could have been much better. I'm not saying Suicide Squad is a good movie. It could be terrible. I don't know yet as I haven't seen it. I do know I fucking loved BvS, and I do know Thor was one of the worst movies I've ever had to sit through. I was pretty down on DC even attempting a cinematic universe when hey were hyping up on it. Didn't really want it nor did I care for it, but BvS made me want it now. I was engaged in a way Marvel never really did.

I also think there's something weird going on with how people seem to perceive the Marvel movies which by now are insanely boring and predictable to me. They all seem like brightly colored popcorn fests with not much more to them. Writing is passable. Cinematography is ok at best. The big Marvel movie I'm really looking forward to is Doctor Strange because that seems at least a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom