• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good day for WB, is it?

dkRNKck.png

Lwxaz04.png
Shit what's wrong with the game now? Disappointing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
A few cherry-picked, slow-motion GIFs don't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. Film is good overall. You're delusional for even comparing it to Spiderman 3.

Yeah Spiderman 3 was so bad it was hilarious at parts. DKR was just as dour as it was poorly made.

SpaceWolf

Banned
batman begins and dark knight are actually better than 99% of marvel's output

the 1% being avengers

Absoloutely no Marvel film has topped the quality of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, that's for damn sure. And I say that as a die-hard Marvel fan.

Nolan's films felt like actual films, with scope and soul and some kind of artistic sensibility. Marvel's films are just colorful popcorn entertainment mostly featuring shoe-horned fan-service and light-hearted banter. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I think it's misguided to claim any of Marvel's output throughout the last ten years has been particularly outstanding, as fun as those movies might have been.

yuraya

Really disappointing to hear Leto is only in the movie for like 10 minutes. That is kind of a waste. Should have just saved him for the solo Batman movie or waited for Suicide Squad 2 where he could actually be the main villain with 30+ minutes of screen time. Without a good and significant Joker this universe will struggle. Especially since there are no plans for Man of Steel 2. Leto and Affleck better go big with the solo film.

Gonna see this either way tho. Critics butchered BvS but I still enjoyed like 80% of it. Only thing I disliked about it was Eisenberg and Martha.

Gorillaz

Everyone was complaining about Will Smith, turns out he's one of the best parts of the movie.

That's what's hilarious right now

what's even more hilarious is the fact a reviewer (or a few) said that the fight scene between will and ben was a highlight of the movie

2 actors people were against being in this universe to begin with

Anth0ny

This is true but TDKR was better than Iron Man 3 IMO.

yeah I think I like Iron Man 3 more than most people. definitely an 8/10, just like tdkr.

I'll never understand gaf's hatred for dark knight rises. never ever ever. at this point i'd kill for another DC movie of dkr quality.

JoeInky

That's what's hilarious right now

what's even more hilarious is the fact a reviewer (or a few) said that the fight scene between will and ben was a highlight of the movie

2 actors people were against being in this universe to begin with

They should just cancel the DCCU and focus on Batman, it's all they seem to be trying with anyway so it wouldn't be much of a change.

Fury451

Banned
37%? Lol yikes!
How did tmnt out of the shadows do?

38% RT

But it was a lot of dumb fun if you are a fan of 80s turtles.

This may end up being well-liked by an audience as well despite the critical scores, but my expectations are way tempered. I hate pacing/editing issues, and it sounds like those rear their ugly head again in Squad.

Papacheeks

Banned
Absoloutely no Marvel film has topped the quality of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, that's for damn sure. And I say that as a die-hard Marvel fan.

Nolan's films felt like actual films, with scope and vision and some kind of cinematic sensibility. Marvel's films are just colorful popcorn entertainment mostly featuring shoe-horned fan-service and light-hearted banter. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I think it's misguided to claim any of Marvel's output throughout the last ten years has been particularly outstanding, as fun as those movies might have been.

That's because Batman Begins, and Dark Knight are crime dramas, and if you took any comic element out of it, would still stand as crime dramas. Really good ones.

Marvel films are straight up CB films. With no trying to make it something it's not. If you took comic book elements out of ironman it wouldn't work as film. Those are the distinct differences IMHO from Nolan compared to marvel.

sirap

Thats the first two though.

TDKR is just a mess. Is it better than Green Lantern/DCEU? Obviously, but it was just such a let down for me after two masterpieces.

Threequel curse :(

Even books can't escape it. It's also part of the reason why I was so disappointed with AoU. Damn it, that was supposed to be the strongest entry.

Bad Trip

Banned
You have to just blame DC and whoever signs off on scripts . I'm not an avid comic book reader but I'm well aware there's libraries worth of DC stories to be told , ones like Frank Millers The Dark Knight, that DC could easily adapt into live action faithfully and it be badass . Yet over the course of three films so far they go the route of writing these bland and incoherent scripts involving established characters who have already had extremely well received stories . Why the refuse to just copy and paste these established stories from prior writers in their comic lines is beyond me . DC is making it harder on themselves than it needs to be .

Why are people fighting about Thor and Nolan movies in a Suicide Squad thread?

Anyway, disappointing reviews. I like the trailers. Might just wait for this to hit streaming/redbox.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That's because Batman Begins, and Dark Knight are crime dramas, and if you took any comic element out of it, would still stand as crime dramas. Really good ones.

Marvel films are straight up CB films. With no trying to make it something it's not. If you took comic book elements out of ironman it wouldn't work as film. Those are the distinct differences IMHO from Nolan compared to marvel.

This is all true. But then again, I don't believe any film that's come out of Marvel Studios has yet to top Spiderman 2 either, which was a film that unashamedly embraced it's comic book roots heart and soul. Again, that felt like a film that, although a superhero film, had a voice and a soul that these Marvel tentpole franchises otherwise completely lack as individual films.

Again, this comes from someone who's going to be first in line to see Doctor Strange this November.

Timu

yeah I think I like Iron Man 3 more than most people. definitely an 8/10, just like tdkr.

I'll never understand gaf's hatred for dark knight rises. never ever ever. at this point i'd kill for another DC movie of dkr quality.
Same here, I really liked that movie(TDKR) and another one of those would be better than anything that has been released since 2013 and onward.

And I liked Iron Man 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom