• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

CNET review

The messy first act sets the machine-gun pace for the rest of the movie, moving impatiently between character introductions and plot points. The moment-to-moment cuts, soundtrack and thin plot make "Suicide Squad" feel more like a 2-hour trailer than a feature-length film. It leaves you reeling from one moment to the next, with never enough time to take anything in.

Will Smith puts in an admirable turn as Deadshot, the hitman with a heart of gold. While it's well-trod ground, his relationship with his daughter brings some much-needed emotional depth to the story. Likewise, Jay Hernandez plays a tortured El Diablo who helps slow things down a little.

Margot Robbie is an uneven Harley Quinn, short-changed by some questionable plot choices that leave her more ditz than antihero. The portrayal of her relationship with the Joker will also leave fans cold, especially those familiar with the character's more recent comic book incarnations.

Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang is a breakout favourite, but even he falls flat too often.
Arrested after "robbing every bank in Australia" (that's about 14,700 -- I looked it up) and armed with an unexplained stuffed unicorn
he's comic relief. But the slapdash pacing leaves him with nothing to relieve.

In this thread - people who confuse fight choreography with the quality of the movie.

Despite its flaws TDKR is a better movie than 99% of Marvel's output.

I wouldn't go that far. For me TDKR is on the level of Civil War and Iron Man 1, maybe even Winter Soldier, and if we extend past Marvel Studios, I like Days of Future Past better.

Arrow needs to be spun out into its own universe where it can't hurt anybody anymore. Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow may have their problems but they haven't managed to outright piss me off the way Arrow has.

It wouldn't be too hard to explain. When Arrow characters appear on Flash and LoT, they improve.

JeTmAn81

I haven't seen any of the Batman films other that TDK, but what are you trying to prove with the gifs?

Is The Godfather bad because the Sonny fight was terrible?

And no, I'm not comparing any comic book films to The Godfather, but a film can still be good even if the fights look like garbage... Unless the fights are basically the whole point of the film.

This old thing

the-godfather-pelea-sonny-corl-23d219254239e0925ca6c7b954687300.gif

styl3s

The only MCU that can be considered downright bad are Cap 1 and the Iron Man sequels. For all of Ultron's failures, it's still an okay watch.

Everything else ranges from solid to excellent.
I wouldn't consider Cap 1, Thor 1/2 or Iron Man 2 bad at all.

Iron Man 3 i can take or leave.

Despite its flaws TDKR is a better movie than 99% of Marvel & Fox output.

I agree. I like Marvel movies, but Nolan at his worst is still better than Marvel at their best.

The Dark Knight Trilogy are still the best superhero films, and will be for years.

2QcNSmR.gif

ZKAo5.gif

JtqPVE.gif

Don't make me start quoting Bane, CIA Guy, "Robin", pointing out the issues with the editing, etc.

You guys are delusional if you think DKR is a good movie. It's Spider-Man 3 and BTTF 3 all over again.

A few cherry-picked, slow-motion GIFs don't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. Film is good overall. You're delusional for even comparing it to Spiderman 3.

Papacheeks

Banned
I agree. I like Marvel movies, but Nolan at his worst is still better than Marvel at their best.

The Dark Knight Trilogy are still the best superhero films, and will be for years.

No.

They are great crime dramas, but mediocre Batman films. Batman Begins was the most batman like film throughout the trilogy.

Seems like Will was alright. Glad to see that.

When you say will do you mean will smith.

Anth0ny

tdkr is better than hulk

and iron man 2

and cap 1

and thor

and thor 2

and ultron

I'd put it around the same level as Iron Man 3/Ant Man, but below Avengers, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, GOTG and Civil War.

wachie

Some issues with choreography and some cheesy lines don't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. Film is good overall. You're delusional for even comparing it to Spiderman 3.
Most of GAF's film critique is limited to whatever they can fit into a 2 second GIF.
fist-bump.gif

Eidan

In this thread - people who confuse fight choreography with the quality of the movie.

Most of GAF's film critique is limited to whatever they can fit into a 2 second GIF.

On the flip side, we just had someone say TDKR is better than most of Marvel's output. Let that one sink in.

I'm not particularly a fan of Marvel's output anymore, so I somewhat agree, but cinema is really quite subjective, and there's room for meaningful discussion rather than just throwing around "shit" and "GOAT".

Fury451

Banned
LOL, seriously? WTF. xDDDDDDDD

Your avatar is literally perfect for everything.

But surely that's just a hyperbolic statement about the banks, not meant to be taken literally? If it is literal, then I think DC confused the abilities of Boomerang and Flash.

I wish these gifs were banworthy.
You're welcome to ban me when you become a mod.
I haven't seen any of the Batman films other that TDK, but what are you trying to prove with the gifs?
A movie about the caped crusader who is supposed to be a top fighter has poor choreography. That's not the only problem with the movie though. Problems with editing (scenes of Bruce healing in the pit), silly plot threads (Robin/the bomb/the financial plot), poor dialogue (the intro with CIA guy and Bane), etc. I can't take seriously anybody that thinks it's a good movie. It's an average movie, really, like most of these comic movies are.

Sure, focus on the one thing that can be shown in gifs easily despite the fact that I mentioned several other issues in my post so you can feel good about your fanboyism.
A few cherry-picked, slow-motion GIFs don't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. Film is good overall. You're delusional for even comparing it to Spiderman 3.
*shrug* that's fine. I expect a comic book movie to be at least a solid visual representation of the source material in terms of whatever power/abilities the main character has. I do take issue with a Batman movie showing either a dumb/non-detectiveish Batman or one that couldn't probably fight his way out of an alley brawl.

SpaceWolf

Banned
After the dismal critical failures of Man of Steel, Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad...are people really going to continue to hold much stock in this "DC Extended Universe" anymore?

At this point, I feel we need to just need to reboot this grim, misguided universe and start again from scratch. I'd be more optimistic for what's coming down the road if the upcoming Wonder Woman movie happened to star anyone but Gal Gadot in the title role, but here we are.

Fury451

Banned
After the dismal critical failures of Man of Steel, Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad...are people really going to continue to hold much stock in this "DC Extended Universe" anymore?

At this point, I feel we need to just need to reboot this grim, misguided universe and get it over with. I'd be more optimistic for what's coming down the road if the upcoming Wonder Woman movie was starring anyone but Gal Gadot of all people, but here we are.

Gadot is not an inspiring actress, but Wonder Woman looks good. Justice League has potential.

But so did Suicide Squad

wachie

Sure, focus on the one thing that can be shown in gifs easily despite the fact that I mentioned several other issues in my post so you can feel good about your fanboyism.
What a tough guy. Please dont derail the thread furher. This thread isnt about Nolan's Batman.

Can plain_r get some more gifs out please?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Your avatar is literally perfect for everything.

But surely that's just a hyperbolic statement about the banks, not meant to be taken literally? If it is literal, then I think DC confused the abilities of Boomerang and Flash.

This cant be real. Its like from a shitty 60s comicbook. Oh man.

Timu

tdkr is better than hulk

and iron man 2

and cap 1

and thor

and thor 2

and ultron

I'd put it around the same level as Iron Man 3/Ant Man, but below Avengers, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, GOTG and Civil War.
This is true but TDKR was better than Iron Man 3 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom