• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Routh > Cavill

Spacey > Eisenberg
Still doesn't make that -I don't know how to call it, a movie it isn't, more like, a tuesday 10am sermon from an 80 years old senile pastor from the Westboro Baptist Church of Richard Donner- better than the other, better, Superman movies.

Kickz

Some observations:

- The Nolan Batman trilogy is garbage.

8gFRKSd.gifhttp:

kmfdmpig

Even though I would LOVE a multiverse/in-universe reboot (similar to what Star Trek did or sure, Flashpoint/Crisis) I feel like a lot of people would be against it or just not really understand what happened.

The problem seems to be direction/editing. Some of the actors are not great (Cavill, for example), but I'm looking forward to Affleck's Batman and would like WB to just get out of his way and let him and Johns do what they want with it.

Suicide Squad will almost certainly make money, but assuming audiences dislike it (a safe assumption at this point) there will be an uphill battle for future DCEU movies. Eventually good will or bad will is reflected in results, and this will certainly hurt Wonder Woman and Justice League's results even if they are good. Batman and Robin, for example, likely hurt Batman Begins' results, while Batman Begins being solid likely helped Dark Knight.

3N16MA

Banned
What if the DCCU did so poorly that Marvel was able to absorb it? What if there was only 1 CU left standing? Does the government even try to control monopolies on CUs? I wouldn't mind seeing Batman in MCU, tho.

Disney would have to buy WB or try to pry DC away from them.

kmfdmpig

24 BEST AND WORST DC SUPERHERO MOVIES

From biggest Rotten Tomatoes to smallest, not counting Suicide Squad

BpmFtXj.png

ucciAdl.png

LOL at the best DCCU movie being behind Swamp Thing

Also, fuck yeah Superman Returns

IMO Batman Returns is much too high. Batman Forever is too high. BvS is too low.
Surprised, but OK with Superman 2 being so high. Otherwise this looks like a solid ranking to me.

What if the DCCU did so poorly that Marvel was able to absorb it? What if there was only 1 CU left standing? Does the government even try to control monopolies on CUs? I wouldn't mind seeing Batman in MCU, tho.

What must be frustrating for DC is that their movies are underperforming, but otherwise they are doing well. Rebirth is going well for them, their games sell well, their animated stuff (while not what it was a decade ago) is solid, and they've had much more success on TV than Marvel. Their movies, however, should be where the real money is and they're dropping the ball pretty handily there.

New002

I'm gonna do the same thing I did when I went in to The Killing Joke after having seen the reviews...I'm gonna order a Blue Icee. Movie might suck, but that Icee is gonna be amazing.

Raxus

Mask of the Phantasm really deserves to be higher on the list as well. I need that movie in my Blu-Ray collection.

The problem seems to be direction/editing. Some of the actors are not great (Cavill, for example), but I'm looking forward to Affleck's Batman and would like WB to just get out of his way and let him and Johns do what they want with it.
They could use Cavill as Bizarro and keep Affleck as Batman :p

Seriously though, I'm in the same camp (as I imagine others are too). I don't have a problem with Affleck or (so far) Gadot, and Momoa/Ezra have my interest piqued, at the very least. But Superman's characterization and most of the direction/writing for the movies has been less than ideal. I wouldn't mind Cavill as Supes so much if we had the proper director and writer combo. I like the guy well enough to enjoy some of his other movies.
Suicide Squad will almost certainly make money, but assuming audiences dislike it (a safe assumption at this point) there will be an uphill battle for future DCEU movies. Eventually good will or bad will is reflected in results, and this will certainly hurt Wonder Woman and Justice League's results even if they are good. Batman and Robin, for example, likely hurt Batman Begins' results, while Batman Begins being solid likely helped Dark Knight.
Right, I don't think SS will do poorly but I don't think it's going to set the world on fire (in terms of box office), so as you said, it'll be harder for the next DCCU movie to just break out of the shadow of these lukewarm entries.

holy crap that bottom row lol.

Dead

well not really...yet
That is a worthless list as it is based off of tomatometer scores, theres literally no opinion or reason behind it.

jdstorm

Banned
The best DC movie outside of Nolan's Batman movies in recent years is:

Superman_Returns.jpg

As insane as that sounds.

Nope. Man of Steel is better then Superman Returns. Sure Superman kills a bad guy, but at least isn't a deadbeat dad who needs to get saved by his baby moma's new boyfriend

Cuburt

Ironically, if they were to retcon the DCEU to have Dr. Manhattan create it, critically speaking it would be the best association with the DCEU of any film so far.

Then ZacK Snyder can really take credit for shaping the universe with his takes on Alan Moore and Frank Miller's work.

So poetic. So meta.

guek

Banned
Nope. Man of Steel is better then Superman Returns. Sure Superman kills a bad guy, but at least isn't a deadbeat dad who needs to get saved by his baby moma's new boyfriend

Am I remembering correctly that Clark impregnated Lois and then used the amnesia kiss so she forgot it ever happened?

aaaaand we've reached the "fondly remember Superman Returns" phase of the thread.

I'm waiting for the Spider-man Goblin quotes. That's always my favorite phase

Betty

Banned

Because Man of Steel superman doesn't kill anyone, or let anyone get hurt eh?

😏

Reading this thread has been...uh, interesting.

Seeing this on friday. I've lowered my expectations and I'm kind of expecting to enjoy it a bit. I just can't see this being as bad as the last couple.

Lokimaru

IMO Batman Returns is much too high. Batman Forever is too high. BvS is too low.
Surprised, but OK with Superman 2 being so high. Otherwise this looks like a solid ranking to me.

What must be frustrating for DC is that their movies are underperforming, but otherwise they are doing well. Rebirth is going well for them, their games sell well, their animated stuff (while not what it was a decade ago) is solid, and they've had much more success on TV than Marvel. Their movies, however, should be where the real money is and they're dropping the ball pretty handily there.

Yeah the rest of Rebirth is doing well but I read that the Rebirth Superman titles are selling like shit compared to where they were before Rebirth.

Dead

well not really...yet
Best DC movies

Watchmen Director's Cut
Batman Begins
Superman The Movie
The Dark Knight
Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut
Man of Steel
Batman Returns
V for Vendetta
Batman 1989
Superman II Regular or Donner

Fucking fight me.

edit: fixed :p

mrjohill

Best DC movies

Watchmen Director's Cut
Batman Begins
Superman The Movie
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut
Man of Steel
V for Vendetta
Batman 1989
Superman II Regular or Donner

Fucking fight me.

I agree with putting batman begins twice

Watchmen is good, particularly the extra long version, though it's too literal in its adaptation of the book at times (which I blame directly on Snyder).

Can't really win on that front, it already gets blasted for some of the divergences it did make in the interest of narrative efficiency (e.g. by tying the ending into the Manhattan storyline instead of a separate one about psychics and genetic engineering, they can cut out a bunch of scenes). There's a couple of gaffers I remember arguing with about that who claimed it ruined the movie. I think it's actually superior to the original in that one area!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom