• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WB needs to give it 10 years for the Snyderverse to pass, and then give Nolan and Bale $100 million each to come back for a Batman sequel.

The Dark Knight Returns, Again

Nolan already did his own spin on some of the concepts from Year One (Batman Begins) The Killing Joke (The Dark Knight) and The Dark Knight Returns (The Dark Knight Rises). They're by no means direct adaptations but I feel like he's told all of the Bat stories he wanted to tell.

Get some fresh blood in.

George Miller was ready to do Justice League. Someone bring him back into the fold.

I'd love him to do one movie, but he's getting to the age where he may not have too many films left in him and I wouldn't want him to be shackled to doing a bunch of capeshit movies for a decade.

J_Viper

Best DC movies

Watchmen Director's Cut
Batman Begins
Superman The Movie
The Dark Knight
Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut
Man of Steel
Batman Returns
V for Vendetta
Batman 1989
Superman II Regular or Donner

Fucking fight me.

edit: fixed :p

Despite its flaws, I'd still throw TDKR on there

But aside from that, I can absolutely vibe with that list

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really don't like the direction they've been taking DCCU. I wish they took more notes from Post-Crisis DC.

It's cute people in here think DCEU is gonna be around after Justice League. WB clearly can't do this share universe thing, so they might as well cut their losses, cancel their entire slate, and start from scratch. I wouldn't mind a new Batman or Superman trilogy honestly. I still want my Man of Steel 2 by Matthew Vaughn.

Ithil

Can't really win on that front, it already gets blasted for some of the divergences it did make in the interest of narrative efficiency (e.g. by tying the ending into the Manhattan storyline instead of a separate one about psychics and genetic engineering, they can cut out a bunch of scenes). There's a couple of gaffers I remember arguing with about that who claimed it ruined the movie. I think it's actually superior to the original in that one area!

I mean more in aesthetics at times, like literally recreating images from the comic just because they were in the comic and not really carrying their meaning. That's what I blame on Snyder, as lifting images without their meaning attached seems to be a regular occurrence with him.

Like having the doomsday clock counting down that separated chapters in the book appear in the film as literally a big clock they're moving the hands on to indicate war. That's just silly.

It's cute people in here think DCEU is gonna be around after Justice League. WB clearly can't do this share universe thing, so they might as well cut their losses, cancel their entire slate, and start from scratch. I wouldn't mind a new Batman or Superman trilogy honestly. I still want my Man of Steel 2 by Matthew Vaughn.

I'm retching

Replicant

8gFRKSd.gif

I'm dying here.

I was expecting minor schadenfreude but never expected the thread to deliver in a big way from reactions to GIFs to meltdowns. I should have trusted DCEU GAF threads a lot more.

Cuburt

Can't really win on that front, it already gets blasted for some of the divergences it did make in the interest of narrative efficiency (e.g. by tying the ending into the Manhattan storyline instead of a separate one about psychics and genetic engineering, they can cut out a bunch of scenes). There's a couple of gaffers I remember arguing with about that who claimed it ruined the movie. I think it's actually superior to the original in that one area!
+1

Having seen the film before ever fully reading graphic novel, I thought it was pretty brilliant despite the not so subtle parallels between Dr. Manhattan and the Cold War race for nuclear weapons, but to find the real ending was with a giant squid and people actually preferred it blew my mind.

Really like Jeremy Jahns' videos. The guy is funny and entertaining, but I trust his opinion on films about as much as I trust WB to deliver a good comic book film.

Guys, what the fuck happened? I mean, you have all these actors and you have Ayer. I don't know if he's a good director or not, but I don't think I have heard bad things about him and we got a movie with bad reviews. What matters is our own personal taste, sure, but I don't get why more people didn't like the movie. Did they cut stuff again or something?

TDLink

WB needs to give it 10 years for the Snyderverse to pass, and then give Nolan and Bale $100 million each to come back for a Batman sequel.

They should have done Batman Beyond. It was actually planned at one point. They still could I guess if they scrap everything and let it blow over...not sure that they will though.

"I don´t like opinions that do not align with mine, boo hoo". He is a much better reviewer than 99% linked in this thread.

um right way to miss the point

i'm saying i don't like the way he does reviews. He never really says anything insightful in the ten minutes he spends discussing the movie, and most of the points he drops could have been gathered from the RT consensus lmao

and that last sentence LMAO are you saying that because he likes Suicide Squad? Your avy betrays you

Lokimaru

What bugs me most about Batman's casual killing in BvS is that it's not clearly explained why this is happening. Is it a symptom of age and being in the game too long? Is it an after effect of Joker killing Robin? Is it because Superman's presence humbled him (in a bad way)? It's a little all of the above, but the cause is too muddled imo and the effect is never really addressed in any real way; this Batman just kills people, for some reason, and never really reflects on it.

Dude, do they have too spell it out point blank for you? Hell if they did people would ding em for that saying they spoon fed you the info or info dumped. Trust me DC/Warners can't win in some peoples eyes.

The DCEU is what would it be like if these characters were REAL not comic book characters. The DCEU is Our World that's why you have Sears and Ihop in Smallville, That's why you have Soledad O'Brien, John Stewart and Anderson Cooper on News shows, It's Our World. Hell Ma Kent worked at that Sears in Man of Steel.
bgArw0d-300x146.jpg

What do you think a real 20 year vet Batman with Baggage would be like? We have guys in our World who went Right wing Nutso after 9-11, During the Martha/Bat Dream you hear the Thump of the World engine in the Background, that's not a coincidence. That day fucked him up, add that to Lex's manipulation and you got one fucked up Batman.

Log4Girlz

same. Better ending

um right way to miss the point

i'm saying i don't like the way he does reviews. He never really says anything insightful in the ten minutes he spends discussing the movie, and most of the points he drops could have been gathered from the RT consensus lmao

and that last sentence LMAO are you saying that because he likes Suicide Squad? Your avy betrays you
I did not miss your point. You are just pissed off because he liked the movie, and it shows.
He gives more insight about what he liked and did not like about the movie.

I have been watching JJ for 2 years now, and i like his reviews. He is not an elitist movie garbage reviewer who thinks his opinion is better than everyone else´s. You really seem butthurt over him liking the movie. Your username is fitting for your arrogant opinion.

Prompto

Banned
Like having the doomsday clock counting down that separated chapters in the book appear in the film as literally a big clock they're moving the hands on to indicate war. That's just silly.
Not sure if you're joking but that clock exists in real life

PsychBat!

Banned
I did not miss your point. You are just pissed off because he liked the movie, and it shows.
He gives more insight about what he liked and did not like about the movie.

I have been watching JJ for 2 years now, and i like his reviews. He is not an elitist movie garbage reviewer who thinks his opinion is better than everyone else´s. You really seem butthurt over him liking the movie. Your username is fitting for your arrogant opinion.
I like pointless cuts between sentences too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom