• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let's say that, against all reason, they cancel Justice League and Wonder Woman and everything else except Batfleck and start the canon all over

Is Leto's Joker good enough to survive in that new canon?

Don't know about Joker, but going by the reviews Harley Quinn would likely make it.

Also I'm guessing they will be refocussing on singular character movies for a bit now to get things back in a 'MCU' kind of order, while postponing Justice League. You would think they shouldn't blow their load on the main event now when the tie-ins are all bombing, critically at least. But we all know Snyder is already working on it and they'll do it anyway. But they really need to refocus.

I don't think it's garbage, but I think the trilogy equates to one good film (with its own issues) sandwiched in-between a mediocre and straight-up bad one.

This is sort of my feeling on it. I don't worship the Nolan films at all. They were just OK, and I didn't like TDKR (tho I can see why some people could). At least we got the Tumbler out of it - my favorite Batmobile.

I don't think it's garbage, but I think the trilogy equates to one good film (with its own issues) sandwiched in-between a mediocre and straight-up bad one.

Batman Begins is the only good thing that came from Nolan Batman
These opinions are worse than Suicide Squad.

By the way why the fuck are we talking about the Thor 2 and the Nolan trilogy? This is the SS review thread! How did we get here?!?

Prompto

Banned
...soon.

sziHc0O.png
You're tearing me apart DC!

Switzer

This was about what I was expecting. DC pls, I feel embarrassed for you guys at this point. The goddamn Ghostbusters reboot has double the score, and its trailers made it look like garbage compared to this.

Azerth

I think one thing that gets overlooked when comparing the two is marvel didnt have to deal with the general public having an idea how there char should be portrayed.

Dc on the other hand has had movies of batman and superman, live action shows, great animated shows and movies that people have watched. So for example: when someone mentions superman they think of superman from the cartoon

Jombie

These opinions are worse than Suicide Squad.

I think it's fairly accurate. It's just those movies are all dc movie fans have to cling on to at this point.

Perhaps "the only good thing" is a bit mean, but I legitimately can't watch The Dark Knight as a whole anymore. I don't like Bale as Batman, and Aaron Eckhart is fine as Two-Face. I just wish it was The Joker film.

It suffers from the same problem that most Batman movies do -- he's woefully less interesting than the villain. I was extatic when Bale was cast as Batman, but I find his Wayne kind of wooden and his Batman has zero on-screen presence. But Nolan was only using the name to make action movies with some half baked subtext thrown in.

I think one thing that gets overlooked when comparing the two is marvel didnt have to deal with the general public having an idea how there char should be portrayed.

Dc on the other hand has had movies of batman and superman, live action shows, great animated shows and movies that people have watched. So for example: when someone mentions superman they think of superman from the cartoon

This doesn't work for Spiderman though.

They think of Christopher Reeves Superman first probably, but your point is well taken. At some point you can't even pander to the fans who like a specific interpretation of the character because there are so many.

nynt9

I don't think this factors in at all. People will accept a portrayal as long as it's solid. People took to Nolan's take on Batman. Suicide squad doesn't even have known characters so that doesn't even apply here.

I think it's fairly accurate. It's just those movies are all dc movie fans have to cling on to at this point.
I'm not a DC movie fan and I think it's wildly inaccurate. But they are opinions so they can't be wrong or right...but they can be bad lol.

Switzer

Sure, but objectively they are still bad movies. Going against established canon and expectations can garner you some negative points, but not 28% RT train-wreck level reviews.

Ahasverus

So far it's the most highly acclaimed DC Extended Universe movie.
Did you forget Man of Steel? We discussed it 4 years non-stop :p Say what you want about DC movies, but damn if they never leave us. For better or worse.
In this thread, I think I've pretty much seen every kind of opinion possible on comic book movies. To add to the list of strange opinions, I think The Dark World is a better film than the first Thor.
No lies detected.

In this thread, I think I've pretty much seen every kind of opinion possible on comic book movies. To add to the list of strange opinions, I think The Dark World is a better film than the first Thor.

Jzero

Fuuuuuck. I only paid $5 for my ticket but those reviews are making me not want to drive to the theater.

That's not strange, I'm fucking sick of "oh no, I lost my powers" on movies. One of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of Iron Man 1.

guek

Banned
This doesn't work for Spiderman though.

Spider-man in Civil War is a masterful blend of both Ultimate and classic Ditko Spider-man. He draws so heavily from established precedent, he instantly feels familiar to the audience. I don't think every character needs to be so closely referenced from source material but for bigger characters like Spidey, it can work really well. I feel like Snyder tried to do this with Batman being already established in the DCEU for 20yrs. It would have worked too but the whole casual killing thing threw a lot of people for a loop coming off of the Nolan films where his reluctance to kill is so heavily emphasized.

Ahasverus

Didn't she love BvS?

And add fuel to the whole Disney shill conspiracy flame?

I'm surprised at that reaction.
A common criticism to SS is that it feels apparently misogynist. Harley is played as a bimbo, Enchantress is only there for her more powerful brother and so on. Grace doesn't like misogynist stuff.

Blader

Spider-man in Civil War is a masterful blend of both Ultimate and classic Ditko Spider-man. He draws so heavily from established precedent, he instantly feels familiar to the audience. I don't think every character needs to be so closely referenced from source material but for bigger characters like Spidey, it can work really well. I feel like Snyder tried to do this with Batman being already established in the DCEU for 20yrs. It would have worked too but the whole casual killing thing threw a lot of people for a loop coming off of the Nolan films where his reluctance to kill is so heavily emphasized.

What bugs me most about Batman's casual killing in BvS is that it's not clearly explained why this is happening. Is it a symptom of age and being in the game too long? Is it an after effect of Joker killing Robin? Is it because Superman's presence humbled him (in a bad way)? It's a little all of the above, but the cause is too muddled imo and the effect is never really addressed in any real way; this Batman just kills people, for some reason, and never really reflects on it.

A common criticism to SS is that it feels apparently misogynist. Harley is played as a bimbo, Enchantress is only there for her more powerful brother and so on. Grace doesn't like misogynist stuff.
Well damn.

Save Harley, Affleck.

And save us.
Look closely and you can even see him shake his head. If Evans head animation was cleaner it would be goat.
Where is that one even from? Has Plainr_ set a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom