• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck are you talking about LMAO

Step away from the computer screen bud, you're getting too heated

I am calm as a cucumber.

He's a bad reviewer whose videos inform you little about the movie beyond the RT consensus, that's my take on it
Your take on his reviews is your own take, and his spoiler free reviews tell me if the plot and characters are done right, and that is all that matters to me
The fact that you jumped to fanboy conclusions is hardly surprising given your avy and posting history tho
It´s you who jumped to fanboy conclusion just because i linked a youtube video, lmao. Your posting history does not surprise one bit.

SexyFish

Banned
We now in The Shadow territory.

1e0c84a9e9.jpg

I dunno man, your personal investment in how much people enjoy the MCU despite your indifference to it has always come across as a strange fixation. I'll never understand why the popularity of a product can rustle so many jimmies. At least with stuff like Twilight or 50 Shades, it's easy to see the potential societal harm that comes with glorifying negative gender stereotypes, stalker behavior, and dysfunctional relationships. With the MCU, not so much.

It's more than I'm annoyed with the MCU being confused with "good cinema". It's disposable entertainment, at best. To be honest, nothing in the MCU has downright "offended" me like, say, TF Revenge of the Fallen. It's actually pretty harmless, by comparison. But the problem is that these movies are being treated like the "be all, end all" of the cinema experience. I feel like diehard MCU fans think the franchise is untouchable, and in a way it sort of is. It's untouchable in that it plays things completely safe, adhering to a specific grab-bag of elements that are carefully formulated in such a way that feels was designed in a test-audience laboratory. But not acknowledging this system is problematic in the grand scheme of the film industry, because nowadays people simultaneously demand more from their movies, but also default back to "safe territory" with the films the MCU puts out.

The MCU has become somewhat impervious to criticism; that is downright fucked up, to me.

That the best MCU film is also sort of boring in some spots (Civil War) is telling; there's so much potential to make some truly interesting, complex films...but they just don't know how to ride that line without falling back to what's safe and familiar.

I'm just not emotionally invested in these things. Not in the way I was with films like Spider-man 2 or Batman Begins.

The sheer scale of the MCU and the constant need to sell me on one character after another just so I'll sign up for their solo film is...fucking exhausting.

Things were a lot simpler pre-MCU. Even DC had the sense to give their coveted franchise to a real filmmaker and let him, y'know, make some real fucking movies with it.

It's more than I'm annoyed with the MCU being confused with "good cinema". It's disposable entertainment, at best. To be honest, nothing in the MCU has downright "offended" me like, say, TF Revenge of the Fallen. It's actually pretty harmless, by comparison. But the problem is that these movies are being treated like the "be all, end all" of the cinema experience. I feel like diehard MCU fans think the franchise is untouchable, and in a way it sort of is. It's untouchable in that it plays things completely safe, adhering to a specific grab-bag of elements that are carefully formulated in such a way that feels was designed in a test-audience laboratory. But not acknowledging this system is problematic in the grand scheme of the film industry, because nowadays people simultaneously demand more from their movies, but also default back to "safe territory" with the films the MCU puts out.

The MCU has become somewhat impervious to criticism; that is downright fucked up, to me.

That the best MCU film is also sort of boring in some spots (Civil War) is telling; there's so much potential to make some truly interesting, complex films...but they just don't know how to ride that line without falling back to what's safe and familiar.

I'm just not emotionally invested in these things. Not in the way I was with films like Spider-man 2 or Batman Begins.

The sheer scale of the MCU and the constant need to sell me on one character after another just so I'll sign up for their solo film is...fucking exhausting.

Things were a lot simpler pre-MCU. Even DC had the sense to give their coveted franchise to a real filmmaker and let him, y'know, make some real fucking movies with it.
I like Marvel and most of their movies but I agree with this a lot.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I just watched ASM2 and this shit is even worse than Thor 2

I seriously gotta rewatch Spider-man 2 and X-Men 2, I can't for the life of me understand the hype behind those movies.

Molina was great, that's for sure, but Tobey and Kirsten? Jesus christ. Don't get me started on that train scene.

This post deserves repping a hundred times even if you love them Marvel movies

Nokterian

When i think of the hero movies this year and most memorable scenes i do think of Civil War for example it does have great scenes that brings me back same goes for Deadpool such memorable scenes.

And then i think of Batman v Superman..i only get migraines.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I am gone for like 8 hours and you fuckers went into overdrive with the meltdowns and fanboywars. And all of that without me.

Anyway, we ranking cb movies now? Cool, this is how it actually goes.

BvS>>>TDKR=MoS>>>>TDK>BB>>>Cap1>Cap2&3>Norton Hulk>AoU>Iron Man>>>>trash not worth your time>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gotg and Ant-Man

kurahador

DC is still using the story treatment they came up with as a basis for the script and I think they're still producing.

Hardly amount much in terms of quality. I mean we already seen what happens to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.

The only DC movie (now that SS is out) that I have faith on is Lego Batman.

Ehhh...most LEGO media I've seen (those tv series and direct to video stuff) has been average at best except for The LEGO Movie -- which was most likely due to Lord/Miller duo, and they aren't involved with Lego Batman.

Ehhh...most LEGO media I've seen (those tv series and direct to video stuff) has been average at best except for The LEGO Movie -- which was most likely due to Lord/Miller duo, and they aren't involved with Lego Batman.

They're not involved? Well, damn. I'm not actually in the loop of most movie news so bear with me.

I have to take issue with calling Marvel movies 'assembly line products', implying they're all identical.

I don't see how you could look at Guardians of the Galaxy against Cap 1, Civil War, Winter Soldier, or Iron Man 1 and tell me that they don't each have their unique style.

I am calm as a cucumber.

You got incredibly defensive after I made a comment about your favorite reviewer

You're the last thing from calm. Comic book movies aren't serious

Your take on his reviews is your own take, and his spoiler free reviews tell me if the plot and characters are done right, and that is all that matters to me

You said he's better than 99 percent of reviewers LMAO

You know, I don't have reason to take you seriously ever since you defended Apocalypse's Magneto slaughtering millions and getting away with it, but at least put a modicum of effort in your posts

It´s you who jumped to fanboy conclusion just because i linked a youtube video, lmao. Your posting history does not surprise one bit.

Me: "jeremyjahns sucks as a reviewer"

You: "omg take that back, you're just butthurt that he liked suicide squad! you're just a fanboy!"

oh lordy

Lothars

I can't believe reviews are this bad. Smh. Like...not even a mediocre or middling critical reception? But mid-30s?!
I'm still looking forward to seeing it. I've tempered my expectations but still hopeful.

Not true. It reminds us, again, that the MCU is dookie and DCEU is judged unfairly. Also, the idea that Marvel can do no wrong..yet Thor 2 exist..
Ahh yes that's true. I appreciate you reminding me.

jman2050

Yeah and we all saw how that turned out.

EDIT - Unless you were talking about Batman there in which case never mind.

longdi

Banned
Tdkr was unbearable when i first watched it in the theatre.

Tdk was unbearable when i re-watched it at home.

BB seems to hold up well on repeated viewings.

Idk, but Nolan only made 1 good batman movie imo.

I have to take issue with calling Marvel movies 'assembly line products', implying they're all identical.

I don't see how you could look at Guardians of the Galaxy against Cap 1, Civil War, Winter Soldier, or Iron Man 1 and tell me that they don't each have their unique style.

This is different from style. These are key elements that make a film marketable to a given demographic. These screenplays aren't "written", they're carefully vetted to ensure they contain everything that helps these movies sell. You might not notice it, but your brain does.

Let's not forget how these films now HAVE to contain crossover elements/references/etc. It's shameless pandering, whether you want to accept that or not. The moment in Civil War when they recreate a comic panel with Cap fighting Ironman? Sure that was "awesome", but the moment felt completely manufactured and forced. I couldn't help but feel like they were saying "Hey comic fans! Look at this!!!"

It's filmmaking by committee. You either choose to accept that or you don't. The studio and the execs have the power in the MCU, not the filmmakers themselves. As if Edgar Wright didn't already make that painfully obvious (and, to a lesser extent, Joss Whedon).

BLACKLAC

I have a feeling SolidChamp is going to love Homecoming.

Tdkr was unbearable when i first watched it in the theatre.

Tdk was unbearable when i re-watched it at home.

BB seems to hold up well on repeated viewings.

Idk, but Nolan only made 1 good batman movie imo.

That's because Begins is the only Batman movie Nolan made.

guek

Banned

I guess I don't know what you mean by "real fucking movies" or "good cinema" in the context of comicbook movies. The overwhelming vast majority of movies put out by Hollywood is disposable entertainment. If your contention is with the lack of art communicating a strong message then maybe you have a myopic but still valid criticism. Even there though, very few superhero movies care about subtextual commentary and even fewer pull them off well. Coincidentally, both Russo bros Cap movies actually have easily digestible but still poignant political commentary running underneath.

The pedestal you're decrying is, I believe, one of your own making. Perhaps its a byproduct of their high volume output. Maybe you're just burnt out on the MCU as a concept. That I can understand. But to argue that they're not real filmmakers is something I find impossible to justify. The implication that they're immune from criticism because they've all been reviewed well also sounds like confirmation bias. There are numerous reasons why that might happen but the most obvious one is that critics see them for the enjoyable bits of disposable entertainment that they are. There's nothing inherently wrong with that in an industry that priorities entertainment first and artistry second in the pursuit of profits. This applies to the lauded Nolan films as well which have their own share of problems.

On top of it all, the MCU does not produce ugly movies. It's guilty of many things, recycling structural elements being chief among them, but I fail to see where their merits as artists comes into question. My theory is that it all comes back to an overabundance of content that admittedly has repetitive elements throughout the entire slate of movies.

This is different from style. These are key elements that make a film marketable to a given demographic. These screenplays aren't "written", they're carefully vetted to ensure they contain everything that helps these movies sell. You might not notice it, but your brain does.

Let's not forget how these films now HAVE to contain crossover elements/references/etc. It's shameless pandering, whether you want to accept that or not. The moment in Civil War when they recreate a comic panel with Cap fighting Ironman? Sure that was "awesome", but the moment felt completely manufactured and forced. I couldn't help but feel like they were saying "Hey comic fans! Look at this!!!"

It's filmmaking by committee. You either choose to accept that or you don't. The studio and the execs have the power in the MCU, not the filmmakers themselves. As if Edgar Wright didn't already make that painfully obvious (and, to a lesser extent, Joss Whedon).

I agree with you in the power lies with Feige and not the director per se, but the director knows what they are stepping into. They have to play by marvel's rules, and I think they know that.

Is it wrong that marvel does that? I can't really answer the answer there.

Anth0ny

That's GAF for you. Buying into that Marvel assembly-line product. The lack of true creative vision and risk with directors being stifled in their level of control; it's all perfectly calculated.

DC's biggest mistake is thinking they can do the same thing. It's like they hopped on the toilet as quickly as they could with this "me too" attitude only to have to strain and force out the most constipated, grotesque looking shit imagineable.

There hasn't been a truly memorable FILM in the MCU; nothing that could stand on it's own as a masterpiece like Nolan's interpretations (or rather, one of those). This genre is becoming a bit of a joke; fanboy flame wars abound on the eve of each and every release. There's that initial clamor, the "OMG BEST MOVIE EVAR!" (usually in the case of the MCU), and then it all blows over until the next one, which everyone has been reminded to see in a post-credit sequence of some sort.

Don't worry. I'm eagerly awaiting South Park The Fractured But Whole and its takedown of this nonsense.

Avengers 1 is memorable

And I really don't think anyone was saying OMG BEST MOVIE EVER after ant man. Or ultron. Or iron man 3...

Maybe people just really liked winter soldier, civil war and gotg because they were good movies?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Avengers 1 is memorable

And I really don't think anyone was saying OMG BEST MOVIE EVER after ant man. Or ultron. Or iron man 3...

Maybe people just really liked winter soldier, civil war and gotg because they were good movies?
People really take the MCU v DCU seriously.

Korigama

Thirteen MCU films so far, all of them certified Fresh (yes, Thor: The Dark World included), three films into the DCEU, all of them Rotten. I was hoping that Snyder not directing this would mean a chance for something good this time, but I suppose this is at least worth it for the gifs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom