• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

yX7kkJ.gif
Been busy all day, but this was basically my reaction to seeing the RT score a few hours ago. Absolutely hilarious.

Review headline in the local paper: Suicide attempt failed.

Lol.
That is perfect.

Spinluck

Marvel movies do what they're made to do, entertain and please an audience. It works, it's repetitive, predictable, and sometimes unimaginative but it works.

As a result, we have some of the worst films in the genre and some of the best films. I think overall its been a huge success.

duckroll

The reviewer has been pretty down on superhero movies this year though. I think he's just trying to express how bored he is of reviewing them in the funniest ways possible now. He didn't even like Civil War much. I think out of everything this year he only liked Deadpool and X-men Apocalypse.

From my understanding in this thread. All comic book movies suck except the ones that I like.

Good enough for me

Batman Begins best Superhero film and AS2 worst. Take my opinions as facts, I'm trust worthy.

Spinluck

From my understanding in this thread. All comic book movies suck except the ones that I like.

Good enough for me

Batman Begins best Superhero film and AS2 worst. Take my opinions as facts, I'm trust worthy.

Catwoman is by default the worst right? I just assume that it's an unspoken rule and that it's so bad that we do not acknowledge it.

The reviewer has been pretty down on superhero movies this year though. I think he's just trying to express how bored he is of reviewing them in the funniest ways possible now. He didn't even like Civil War much. I think out of everything this year he only liked Deadpool and X-men Apocalypse.

I like this guy.

XAL

She was fighting hard for BvS, like unhinged hard.

Damn man.

Yeah.

Going after Campea when he actually liked BvS and MoS and gave them good reviews. Posting the "suspicious" emoji and $$$'s next to pictures of him and his wife at he Civil War premiere only a day later to make a super enthused video of her unboxing the massive press goodie box for BvS...Then before Campea could reply she claimed she was taking the high ground and that if Campea responded it would be because "of his own ego".

hilarious

At the end of the video she says "after Suicide Squad Zack Synder is on his own"

oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck SS is that bad wow

guek

Banned

I don't know how film critics avoid becoming jaded when they're forced to watch so much shit for their job. I love movies to death but if I had to sit through every major studio release, I think I might go postal.

Valentus

Not true. It reminds us, again, that the MCU is dookie and DCEU is judged unfairly. Also, the idea that Marvel can do no wrong..yet Thor 2 exist..

its not about marvel and mangod faige can do no wrong or not. If you take 20 shots, you cant expect that the 20 will be bullseye... but yet, the point is, learning from mistakes, thing that seems that marvel does, and DC not.

And besides, whoever that takes marvel or DC's filmography too seriously is insane lol.

karasu

On top of it all, the MCU does not produce ugly movies. It's guilty of many things, recycling structural elements being chief among them, but I fail to see where their merits as artists comes into question. My theory is that it all comes back to an overabundance of content that admittedly has repetitive elements throughout the entire slate of movies.

Half of the screens in that thread could be stock photos. Its really not very exciting stuff. Except for Guardians of the Galaxy. that was beautiful.

So you're saying the thread is failing at being better than the BvS thread like SS is failing at being better than BvS.

Life imitates art.

This thread tryna be a pale imitation of the BvS thread down to the 50 pages of Thor 2 talk.

tXjgL.gif

its not about marvel and mangod faige can do no wrong or not. If you take 20 shots, you cant expect that the 20 will be bullseye... but yet, the point is, learning from mistakes, thing that seems that marvel does, and DC not.

And besides, whoever that takes marvel or DC's filmography too seriously is insane lol.

This. This is key! Just watch the movie, stuff your fat face and enjoy it..or don't.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Half of the screens in that thread could be stock photos. Its really not very exciting stuff. Except for Guardians of the Galaxy. that was beautiful.
So we haves moved on from looking like television to looking like stock photos?

Let me get on the horn and let the rest of the world know!

guek

Banned

Nah. Some of the Cap 1 and Avengers stuff, maybe, but even those have some pretty great shots littered throughout. My point is that the MCU is held to a weird standard when it comes to both cinematography and music that's not applied to most other blockbusters. I suppose success invites scrutiny.

CloudWolf

I have to take issue with calling Marvel movies 'assembly line products', implying they're all identical.

I don't see how you could look at Guardians of the Galaxy against Cap 1, Civil War, Winter Soldier, or Iron Man 1 and tell me that they don't each have their unique style
You know how pop music all uses the same basic chord structures to trick your brain into liding it? MCU films are the same. They might seem different on the surface, but they all have the same kind of familiar ingredients underneath the surface, which makes every film relatable for the masses. For instance, on a surface level you might say "GotG was a daring film, it has a raccoon and a talking tree!", but since those characters are basically pastiches of Han Solo and Chewbacca, characters everyone knows and loves, the inclusion of those characters is as safe as can be.

duckroll

Nah. Some of the Cap 1 and Avengers stuff, maybe, but even those have some pretty great shots littered throughout. My point is that the MCU is held to a weird standard when it comes to both cinematography and music that's not applied to most other blockbusters. I suppose success invites scrutiny.

I don't think this is true. If it is, Marvel movies wouldn't be so well received by critics and audiences alike. I'll say they are held to the same standard as other blockbusters, and probably even get a free pass because people already like many of these characters.

The reason why cinematography and music is always brought up in Marvel vs DC discussions though, is because Warner has actually set a higher standard for those in their superhero films over the years. Nolan and Snyder films look and sound really good, compared to the average blockbuster. Just like how when we talk about James Bond vs other action movies and thrillers, with regards to Skyfall and Spectre the only thing people will really highlight is the cinematography. Because goddamn.

guek

Banned
You know how pop music all uses the same basic chord structures to trick your brain into liding it? MCU films are the same. They might seem different on the surface, but they all have the same kind of ingredients underneath the surface, which makes every film relatable for the masses. For instance, on a surface level you might say "GotG was a daring film, it has a raccoon and a talking tree!", but since those characters are basically pastiches of Han Solo and Chewbacca, characters everyone knows and loves, the inclusion of those characters is as safe as can be.

If there's anything we can learn from the DCEU and SS in particular though is that it's easy to use established archetypes but not so easy to use them well. Making good movies is hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom