• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Fucking amazing cast and line-up.
I've had a feeling that this might surprisingly turn out to be the best upcoming DCU movie, or heck, best upcoming superhero/supervillain flick in general and this strongly increases the likelyhood of that.

guek

Banned
Fucking amazing cast and line-up.
I've had a feeling that this might surprisingly turn out to be the best upcoming DCU movie, or heck, best upcoming superhero/supervillain flick in general and this strongly increases the likelyhood of that.

Nah, that honor goes to Civil War. Not because of the properties or actors involved but because the Russo brothers earned it.

Wiktor

Nah, that honor goes to Civil War. Not because of the properties or actors involved but because the Russo brothers earned it.

I liked Cap2, but nah... Hopefully with Iron Man as bad guy they will avoid the usual pitfal of Marvel flicks, which is weak villains.
Still, I'm more hyped about GotG2 from Marvel line up than Cap3.

Member876

Banned
How did Cara make it? She is terrible actress and not even that interesting it girl.

Edit. Holy cow, she seems to be in some big movies next year.

I'm totally hyped for this flick, of that there is no doubt. Dirty Dozen/Ocean's 11 combined with supervillains? That sounds fucking awesome.

Smith better play Deadshot as a bastard and not just a cocky rogue with a heart of gold. Maybe a deep, glint of gold, deep beneath the surface, exposed at the very end.

I actually really like the Deadshot they have in the Arrowverse. His first few appearances were a bit rough, but he got legit great in Season 2.

deadshot1heisk.gif

a916

Probably confirmed before, heck I probably commented on it before

But today's announcement also confirmed that David Ayer is writing the script so no longer the dude who did the Legend of Chun-Li!

Thank god... why on Earth was the Chun-Li guy ever given the movie in the first place?

The thing that seems most out of place to me is Leto as Joker. I'm actually really happy that Leto got the role, he's great. I just have no idea how the hell the Joker would work in a Suicide Squad flick.

Not really a team player, him being a villain would be weird.

a916

The thing that seems most out of place to me is Leto as Joker. I'm actually really happy that Leto got the role, he's great. I just have no idea how the hell the Joker would work in a Suicide Squad flick.

I would not be shocked if he's there to plant seeds to a future film... for the same reason Luthor might be in the film too. And that the majority of the film does not really concern him but he's there to just further legitimize the film.

duckroll

With a Suicide Squad story the idea of there being a "villain" doesn't make sense. I'll say that what would probably work best would be to have Joker be essentially the protagonist in a complex con - he sets himself up as a target for a Suicide Squad mission, making them do the legwork to "take him out", but some of the members are actually working under his directives to pull off something entirely different. That would be a pretty typical classic Joker scheme, he wouldn't be a "villain" in the traditional sense, and he wouldn't have to be a team player, and the Suicide Squad would still be the Suicide Squad.

With a Suicide Squad story the idea of there being a "villain" doesn't make sense. I'll say that what would probably work best would be to have Joker be essentially the protagonist in a complex con - he sets himself up as a target for a Suicide Squad mission, making them do the legwork to "take him out", but some of the members are actually working under his directives to pull off something entirely different. That would be a pretty typical classic Joker scheme, he wouldn't be a "villain" in the traditional sense, and he wouldn't have to be a team player, and the Suicide Squad would still be the Suicide Squad.
I would really dig this. I definitely don't see The Joker being in the squad.

Okay, that legit sounds pretty awesome. Everyone comes out looking pretty good.

Though I'm still holding out hope that this depiction of the Joker is a fucking horror movie nightmare:

joker_conceptart2.jpg

eisenberg's lex tho. really curious how that's gonna play out. clearly they're looking to social network as an inspiration with that casting but i imagine instead of the socially awkward cocky genius we're getting rid of the awkward part.

BadAss2961

That's an idea.

Assault on Arkham handled it fine. You can have Joker as a big player in a SS film without him being part of the Squad. Harley Quinn being in the lineup opens up many ways to include him.

duckroll

eisenberg's lex tho. really curious how that's gonna play out. clearly they're looking to social network as an inspiration with that casting but i imagine instead of the socially awkward cocky genius we're getting rid of the awkward part.

I might have imagined it, but wasn't there some leak about how the new Lex is going to be a mix of the tone in Google/Facebook and the personality of Steve Jobs?

I might have imagined it, but wasn't there some leak about how the new Lex is going to be a mix of the tone in Google/Facebook and the personality of Steve Jobs?

hard to keep track, seems there's a 'leak' about all of these movies every few days lol. that might have been speculation but it makes a lot of sense.

JNA

Banned
Ugh.

DC, you know, there is this guy who is not too old, not too young, who has both the looks, acting chops AND the voice of a great joker.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pAn49oUtHJE

Seriously, just give Troy the makeup, scars, etc. And he's good to go.

I mean I'm not familiar with Leto and his work so I can't actually say he is a bad choice or anything, but I'm just saying...Troy Baker...come on man. :(

Ugh.

DC, you know, there is this guy who is not too old, not too young, who has both the looks, acting chops AND the voice of a great joker.

I mean I'm not familiar with Leto and his work so I can't actually say he is a bad choice or anything, but I'm just saying...Troy Baker...come on man. :(

Leto is an incredible actor who just won an academy award. Some of you can be so narrow minded about these castings, like there can only be one interpretation of a character and someone as talented as Jared Leto can't be trusted to come up with his own awesome and memorable version. If it were up to some of you 50 year old mark hammil would have been cast in Dark Knight and we would have never gotten Ledger's amazing performance.

JNA

Banned
Leto is an incredible actor who just won an academy award. Some of you can be so narrow minded about these castings, like there can only be one interpretation of a character and someone as talented as Jared Leto can't be trusted to come up with his own awesome and memorable version. If it were up to some of you 50 year old mark hammil would have been cast in Dark Knight and we would have never gotten Ledger's amazing performance.

50 year old Mark Hammil could pull off a future live action Dark Knight Returns movie. XD

Alienous

Ugh.

He doesn't have the smile.

... or maybe he has the perfect smile for Joker.

BadAss2961

Ugh.

Troy's a damn good voice actor, but come on man.

You're the first, right?

Thread made it 14 pages before someone started wondering about why Deadshot is a black guy in the movies.

Odd. Usually people are in an uproar when the race of a character is changed like in The Last Airbender. I bet it would have caused quite a stir if Deadshot was of another race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom