• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

He would, he's made how many movies that have him and a team go on near impossible suicide missions?

At this point in his career, I think Tom Cruise would come out of the closet to get a role with Marvel or DC.

With the exception of Mission Impossible, he's been stuck doing off-brand "blockbusters". He hasn't had a huge hit in some time.

tkscz

If Will can mix Bad Boys with I am Legend, then he would make the perfect Deadshot. Still hoping for Oprah to play Amanda, just weird enough to work.

Chariot

Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor for Deadshot?

1126.gif

THey would work for Deathstroke maybe, but but Deadshot. This isn't a fully serious character. He's a mustache twirling villain. He needs to have some goofball quality to him. Deadshot isn't meant to be taken completely serious. He can be convincingly badass, but he can't be played fully straight.
What? Read some Secret Six!

EYEL1NER

Leto is going to kill it as Joker, so that isn't concerning me. Smith as Deadshot is cool, so long as (like someone else said) he doesn't play 'Will Smith.' Jai Courtney? Haven't seen much of his work but I liked him in Divergent. He can definitely do 'smug' pretty well and Boomerang has always seemed pretty full of himself. I don't know anything about Hardy's character but I can't imagine he would do a worse job than he did as Bane, so I imagine we will get 'prime' Hardy and I'm pumped regardless. And I don't know anything about those female actresses. Oprah as Waller could definitely work really well, but CCH Pounder's voice IS Waller's voice for me. So I don't know about that.

I'm cool with the announcement I guess. This is really the only DC movie that excites me at the moment, so I'm down.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fresh Prince really slumming it these days.

Will needs a hit, but he still has star power. I think he finally saw which way the wind was blowing. Better to jump on a superhero flick, which are all the rage right now, than try to start up some unknown franchise.

duckroll

The biggest problem with getting Oprah to play Waller is getting her to sign on for multiple movies if necessary.

Will Smith, Jared Leto, and Tom Hardy will all present similar problems. They don't seem the type to sign for multiple films, and if this is a hit Will Smith will be really expensive. It's possible we'll never see these characters again other than Joker. Who knows.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Will Smith, Jared Leto, and Tom Hardy will all present similar problems. They don't seem the type to sign for multiple films, and if this is a hit Will Smith will be really expensive. It's possible we'll never see these characters again other than Joker. Who knows.

I'm thinking that's exactly why they've agreed to it. With Suicide Squad you can pretty easily explain away a character if they don't come back for a sequel. "He/She escaped blah blah blah."

I bet this is also a testing ground for Leto's Joker. If it works, they'll use him again in the larger Batman or Superman franchise. If not, ignore him and recast. Probably better to see how it goes here than gamble in a more prominent film.

Dammit, why do they have Will Smith playing one of their cooler characters? That guy has no range, he just going to play himself as usual.

Sandfox

It would be sad if the Joker of all characters was the only one to return for a sequel.

Sojgat

Dammit, why do they have Will Smith playing one of their cooler characters? That guy has no range, he just going to play himself as usual.

He does have range, he just doesn't do a lot with it. If he plays himself the movie will be shit, but it can also very easily be his Training Day (there's a David Ayer connection for you). Lawton is a great character, hopefully Smith knows that, and takes advantage of it.

Busty

Banned
I feel like there are still a lot of casting announcements to come for this film. While it may not be another 'AAA' star like Hardy or Smith there could still be some interesting actors circling this film.

The current working title for this production in Toronto is "Bravo 14" which likely reflects the 'Dirty Dozen' esque nature of the film.

http://www.omdc.on.ca/film_and_tv/Ontario_Film_Commission/in_production.htm

And while 'working titles' (or codenames) for productions aren't usually reflective of the actual (Blue Harvest, Oliver's Arrow etc, etc) film they do sometimes hint at what the production is. So while there may not be 14 members of this Suicide Squad I expect that there will be more than the 6 announced already.

I fully expect that the final Suicide Squad line up will include some DC 'Z-list' characters that will be cannon fodder just like
KGBeast
was in the Assault On Arkham animated film.

I also heard some speculation/rumor that the role Gosling was offered wasn't the Joker at all so it's possible that their might another major DC character still to be cast. I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard anything about Deathstroke yet. I know that he's a character that Warners are especially keen to do something with so it'll be interesting to see (providing that he isn't in this film) if he's kept for a potential Suicide Squad sequel or a film of his own.

They have all signed multi picture deals. This was the reason given in the trades for Ryan Gosling passing on a roll. I wouldn't be surprised if their deals see them signing for multiple Suicide Squad films (should the first film warrant them financially) and potentially a spin off film (Deadshot and/or Rick Flagg) or appearance (Joker/Harley Quinn in Affleck's solo Batman film?) in another DC film.

Unlike Marvel WB won't have presented the actors with unreasonable multi film deals with next to no money. I'm not surprised in the slightest that Marvel have had trouble with casting recently. The terms of their deals only appeal to actors at the very start of their careers (Chris Helmsworth) or those on a downward slide (like Mark Ruffalo) because of the horrendous terms.

And talking of Marvel whatever happened to all that talk of Cumberbatch for Dr Strange? It's been a while since we heard anything about that.

DC is doing it differently from everyone else. :)

Fixed that for you.

I've got a role for them...

I'm making a movie in my house...

*reads Escape Goat's script*

Wait, they are all plumbers coming round to fix your 'pipe'?

This thing needs a serious rewrite.

:p

Joni

Unlike Marvel WB won't have presented the actors with unreasonable multi film deals with next to no money. I'm not surprised in the slightest that Marvel have had trouble with casting recently. The terms of their deals only appeal to actors at the very start of their careers (Chris Helmsworth) or those on a downward slide (like Mark Ruffalo) because of the horrendous terms.

And talking of Marvel whatever happened to all that talk of Cumberbatch for Dr Strange? It's been a while since we heard anything about that.
I suspect the second has a lot to do with the first. Cumberbatch can do what he wants.

Joni

I think the Arrow costume for Deadshot would work a lot better for an actor of this caliber. Have him showing his face.

Alienous

I think the Arrow costume for Deadshot would work a lot better for an actor of this caliber. Have him showing his face.

He'll probably have plenty of screen-time without the mask, but I imagine they'll do some sort of balaclava/mask thing. It's a Batman-y thing, and Deadshot is the only character who wears that kind of thing.

Hyun Sai

I don't get the hate for Jai. He is not a great actor, but he does the "thug" pretty well (Jack Reacher, Divergent). I'm more concerned about Will Smith performance.

Busty

Banned
I suspect the second has a lot to do with the first. Cumberbatch can do what he wants.

Agreed. I'm surprised that he (and Phoenix before him) has even engaged Marvel in talks. He's got loads of heat and it just doesn't make sense for him to sign a 7 or even 9 picture deal for no money at the moment.

Unless it's all a negotiating tactic for something else. But either way Marvel are running out of time and need to get someone secured sooner rather than later.

I don't get the hate for Jai. He is not a great actor, but he does the "thug" pretty well (Jack Reacher, Divergent). I'm more concerned about Will Smith performance.

Though the film as a whole missed the mark I feel that Smith was excellent in I Am Legend. The scene with the dog was actually really powerful. The man has chops.

Chariot

Haven't read the newer stuff (if there is any), but Gail Simone's run TOTALLY played up Deadshot as by far the most sarcastic, nonchalant member of the group.
There was nothing new since the reboot (there will be a new series starting next year though). But Floyd isn't a mustache twirling villain, even if he has a fabulous one. He is a caring father and as a villain a professional. He don't have plans to take over the world or screwing some particular super hero. He just works to get money for his family - and well, because Waller is obsessed with him and tries to get him to work any way possible. But in any case he is not a mustache twirling villain.

quickwhips

Jared Leto will be a cool Joker but I think this movie is going to be horrible. They probably have a terrible script and they are just throwing awesome names at it. Then you have Jai Courtney the guy who has helped shit on some of my favorite movies. He was terrible in Die Hard not that the script was any good. Terminator looks horrible. I just really dislike this guy. I hope it turns out good but even with Will Smith and Leto I still think this is going to be a turd until I see an amazing trailer.

Busty

Banned
Jared Leto will be a cool Joker but I think this movie is going to be horrible. They probably have a terrible script and they are just throwing awesome names at it.

Tom Hardy and Will Smith wouldn't have signed up to do the film if the script was terrible. If money was all they cared about wouldn't a studio like Sony have just driven a truck full of cash up to their houses to do one of those Spider Man spin offs no one cares about?

Having criticisms is fine but just bringing nonsensical negativity is not.

anaron

Tom Hardy and Will Smith wouldn't have signed up to do the film if the script was terrible. If money was all they cared about wouldn't a studio like Sony have just driven a truck full of cash up to their houses to do one of those Spider Man spin offs no one cares about?

Having criticisms is fine but just bringing nonsensical negativity is not.
Lol, uh...several of their films say otherwise

Busty

Banned
Lol, uh...several of their films say otherwise

Name me one of the films in their respective bodies of work that they signed up to do knowing that the script was terrible.

EDIT - Men In Black 3 had a script that 'they' weren't happy with that went into production while an overall rewrite was done. However that was rushed into production to qualify for the NY tax rebate which was supposedly about to end. Of course NY decided to keep the tax rebate and the film was rushed into production needlessly.

The film the become a production nightmare that turned into a financial black hole. My point being that people knew the script needed work and went on to try and fix it. Then didn't just think 'that will do' and press on.

Platy

I am more curious to what role will Joker play ...

Will he be the movie ... Villain ?
Will he be a cameo and also appear on Batman vs Supes ?

I REALLY don't see the Joker working with the Suicide Squad

There's no confirmation that it won't eventually tie into the DCCU. Even if the movie doesn't reference it, I highly doubt they'd do anything to write Shazam and The Rock's Black Adam out of that continuity.

This compounded with Shazam being marketed in just about everything justice league makes me doubt that he won't be in the universe. Making him and not someone like Martian Manhunter a founding member of the Justice League in the newest animated movies and a long running team member in the comics (hell his stand alones started in justice league) makes it seem unlikely that he won't be part of the team in JL. At this point it looks to be 1:1 with the comic lineup (Superman, Cyborg, Flash, WW, Aquaman, Batman), except Green Lantern and Shazam probably won't be in the first JL movie.

How much money is WB dumping into this? Holy shit at the cast. Maybe this is the movie that leads to Bat v Supes?

They really want their movies to succeed. I think its more than just profit at the box office, they want to expand their reach in everything comics and movies are probably the best way to do that, alongside cartoons.

Blader

Agreed. I'm surprised that he (and Phoenix before him) has even engaged Marvel in talks. He's got loads of heat and it just doesn't make sense for him to sign a 7 or even 9 picture deal for no money at the moment.

Unless it's all a negotiating tactic for something else. But either way Marvel are running out of time and need to get someone secured sooner rather than later.

Well they only signed Boseman for 5 movies so maybe they're more willing now to back down on the number of contractural appearances (and I think 7-9 is only for the relatively more minor characters anyway; all of the other principals have signed for 6, and Renner and initially Downey were only on the hook for 4).

Given the litany of other things Cumberbatch is likely also doing, I'm sure it's a bitch just trying to figure out scheduling too --for both Strange and Avengers.

Kunan

Holy shit this casting is awesome. I kinda like the report that they want Oprah for Waller lol. They could really pull some good jokes with that.

This sounds just as dumb as George Miller's proposed Justice League (which was also high-profile, but was mercifully scuttled just before production began). Sounds like a whole bunch of people will be competing for top exposure.

Smith might be good, but I have the feeling that they'll keep the mask off for periods of time to accommodate him.
Leto is a very good choice. Same with Robbie.
Hardy's going to cause confusion if people are still thinking this is tied in with the Nolan films.
Courtney is pretty lackluster.
I don't know enough about Delavigne to make any judgement other than I have no idea if she's ever done film roles.

And Oprah Winfrey? Really? Just hire CCH Pounder and be done with it already.

botty

Banned
I love how the general consensus on Jared has changed so much on Gaf. King used to get so much venom shot at him from neckbeards, now he is finally getting the praise he deserves. ;_;

Acorn

This sounds just as dumb as George Miller's proposed Justice League (which was also high-profile, but was mercifully scuttled just before production began). Sounds like a whole bunch of people will be competing for top exposure.

Smith might be good, but I have the feeling that they'll keep the mask off for periods of time to accommodate him.
Leto is a very good choice. Same with Robbie.
Hardy's going to cause confusion if people are still thinking this is tied in with the Nolan films.
Courtney is pretty lackluster.
I don't know enough about Delavigne to make any judgement other than I have no idea if she's ever done film roles.

And Oprah Winfrey? Really? Just hire CCH Pounder and be done with it already.
Hardy won't cause confusion unless he's wearing a bane mask and parka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom