• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Three of these guys are now DC Comic Villains. Two of them are Boomerang. I see someone else in this picture that should get a DC Villain Role.

b640x600.jpg

Wow. I did not make the connection that Jai Courtney was Varro. I thought he seemed familiar but I never bothered to look him up.

inm8num2

Well, it's good to know Jai Courtney has a contingency plan in case Terminator: Genisys flops. :p

I'm pumped for this. Smith as Deadshot is going to be pretty sweet.

Hardy won't cause confusion unless he's wearing a bane mask and parka.

He was a prominent presence in a previous DC film, regardless of whether he had a mask or not. I won't be surprised at all if people get confused.

That said, Oprah as Waller could be hilarious if it goes through. I feel like this is going to be an absolute trainwreck.

Busty

Banned
This sounds just as dumb as George Miller's proposed Justice League (which was also high-profile, but was mercifully scuttled just before production began). Sounds like a whole bunch of people will be competing for top exposure.

If Warner Bros can make Ocean's Eleven work they can make this work. I doubt that this will be a problem.

He was a prominent presence in a previous DC film, regardless of whether he had a mask or not. I won't be surprised at all if people get confused.

Did people get confused by Chris Evans being Captain America when he was previously the Human Torch in Fox's Fantastic Four films OR when he was in WB's adaptation of the Vertigo title The Losers?

It's not going to be an issue.

That said, Oprah as Waller could be hilarious if it goes through. I feel like this is going to be an absolute trainwreck.

You only see Hardy's face for a few seconds in Rises. Chris Evans is in multiple superhero movies and no one seems confused.

Edit: As Busty said.

Joni

Wait, the Human Torch and Captain America aren't supposed to be the same person? Why do I keep waiting until Jessica Alba shows up?

Will Smith as Deadshot presents a bunch of problems. I don't have a problem with Will Smith playing Deadshot as much as what that means to this film. First, it means Deadshot will probably be the main character, which I just don't see working or being all that interesting and second, Will Smith has entered his Harison Ford stage of his career. Basically he doesn't give a crap about his performance and shows up just for the paycheck. Either of those could wreak this film.

If Warner Bros can make Ocean's Eleven work they can make this work. I doubt that this will be a problem.

It's not that I have no faith in the project. I'd be interested to see how it goes, but then I remember the last time a major DC superhero ensemble piece was planned, and what a clusterfuck that turned out to be. A fairly good cast (Adam Brody, Armie Hammer, Common, etc.) being shoehorned in with no prior solo films, a model being hired as a major character (Wonder Woman), etc.

And no, this isn't like Ocean's Eleven, where the majority of the team was limited to background or minor roles. You have an all-star cast that's going to be competing for face time. Doesn't make it a bad thing, but I still worry about whether some characters are going to get a short shift.

Did people get confused by Chris Evans being Captain America when he was previously the Human Torch in Fox's Fantastic Four films OR when he was in WB's adaptation of the Vertigo title The Losers?

It's not going to be an issue.

I just feel like it's too soon for Hardy to jump into another "villainous" role after being the villain in a previous DC franchise film made by the same company. That, and the role itself (and what I've read about it) seem pretty vanilla for a character actor like him.

allftw

Neo Member
Holy shit that's a huge cast. No wonder they planned this as their second movie.

Leto, Robbie and Hardy are amazing. I'm not sure how I feel about Will Smith, did not know Cara Delevingne acted and have no idea who Courtney is.

Pretty excited for this now especially for Leto.

Edit: Wait just saw this

Warners still has the role of Amanda Waller, the character who oversees the team (similar to Nick Fury in the Marvel universe), to cast before the film goes into production. The studio’s shortlist of actresses being eyed for the role includes Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Oprah Winfrey, whom sources say would be WB’s first choice for the part.

Surely this is a joke right?

Penguin

It's not that I have no faith in the project. I'd be interested to see how it goes, but then I remember the last time a major DC superhero ensemble piece was planned, and what a clusterfuck that turned out to be. A fairly good cast (Adam Brody, Armie Hammer, Common, etc.) being shoehorned in with no prior solo films, a model being hired as a major character (Wonder Woman), etc.

And no, this isn't like Ocean's Eleven, where the majority of the team was limited to background or minor roles. You have an all-star cast that's going to be competing for face time. Doesn't make it a bad thing, but I still worry about whether some characters are going to get a short shift.

Ocean's 11 had an all-star cast even if you just went with the "A-Listers" at the time it was an insane cast.

And I think the major difference between the Miller Justice League and this Suicide Squad seems to be they aren't rushing it.

I know I know

But they have a director, they have a tone, they have a script, they have actors... and more importantly, they don't have an impending writer's strike over their head.

Chariot

I would like a movie version of this group. >.<

maxresdefault.jpg
This isn't even a group, just a bunch of people hired by the same guy. No need for that when we have enough interesting established groups in the DC universe.

Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Rogues, Intergang, etc.

Grym

skimming through this thread and seeing so many people think the Oprah rumor is a joke is a bit shocking honestly. Have you not seen her in film? She is a phenomenal actress (though I'm not sure that this is the type of film she would show any interest in) and her star power makes her an absolute pipe dream for the casting of Waller. I doubt it happens but I would love to be wrong.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That's a huge cast.

But it does nothing for me personally. Luckily this isn't a property I care about at all anyway.

MrChom

Name me one of the films in their respective bodies of work that they signed up to do knowing that the script was terrible.

Star Trek Nemesis
Sucker Punch
Wild Wild West
After Earth.

Take your pick.....

That said, Smith and Hardy will clearly be the stand out performances here. Jai was okay as Varro but not very interesting. Jared Leto I know of from Fight Club....I hear he's been good in other things since but I have serious doubts as to most actors pulling off the Joker so there's nothing new. Margot Robbie, never seen her but DC and I have disagreements over Harley so I'll leave it there. Cara Delevingne - never heard of her. No idea.

Blader

skimming through this thread and seeing so many people think the Oprah rumor is a joke is a bit shocking honestly. Have you not seen her in film? She is a phenomenal actress (though I'm not sure that this is the type of film she would show any interest in) and her star power makes her an absolute pipe dream for the casting of Waller. I doubt it happens but I would love to be wrong.

Personally I have zero issued with her acting, I just think she'd be distracting in the role because, well, she's Oprah.

This also doesn't really seem like her kind of thing, but what do I know.

a916

This sounds just as dumb as George Miller's proposed Justice League (which was also high-profile, but was mercifully scuttled just before production began). Sounds like a whole bunch of people will be competing for top exposure.

Smith might be good, but I have the feeling that they'll keep the mask off for periods of time to accommodate him.
Leto is a very good choice. Same with Robbie.
Hardy's going to cause confusion if people are still thinking this is tied in with the Nolan films.
Courtney is pretty lackluster.
I don't know enough about Delavigne to make any judgement other than I have no idea if she's ever done film roles.

And Oprah Winfrey? Really? Just hire CCH Pounder and be done with it already.

Really? His voice is not going to be modified nor his face covered up... to be honest I had no clue Tom Hardy was Bane going into DKR and this is being a huge DK trilogy fan... I think the mainstream will be fine with him.

Will Smith, Jared Leto, and Tom Hardy will all present similar problems. They don't seem the type to sign for multiple films, and if this is a hit Will Smith will be really expensive. It's possible we'll never see these characters again other than Joker. Who knows.

Maybe that's why we're getting no Deathstroke or Black Manta.

Symphonia

Banned
Leto? Not my first choice but his portrayal of The Joker could be interesting. I'm not sure how they'll work Hardy in when he was already Bane. Is this canon in the DCU?

Penguin

Leto? Not my first choice but his portrayal of The Joker could be interesting. I'm not sure how they'll work Hardy in when he was already Bane. Is this canon in the DCU?

Nolan's films aren't canon in this new universe.

Which is all that matters.

Also establishes a new Batman before this film.

And his Bane was bald and wore a mask the entire movie. Rick Flagg won't look too similar.

studyguy

So I have 0 idea what suicide squad is about, but that cast gives me the impression that they're fucking amazing. Some of those hero names sound weird as fuck to me though.

Mudcrab

So I have 0 idea what suicide squad is about, but that cast gives me the impression that they're fucking amazing. Some of those hero names sound weird as fuck to me though.

First off they ain't heroes. Think the Dirty Dozen with DC villains.

Chariot

They're essential a bunch of villains that were caught by heroes and utilized by the government as expendable black ops. They have body bombs that explode when they don't do as Waller says.
Well, with the exception of Rick Flagg, who is just a patriot who has an eye on this guys in the field, while Waller is the intel.

Effect

One thing I never got is people being negative on Will Smith. His only two bombs that I can recall are Wild Wild West and After Earth. The others have been successes in their genres. Men in Black 3 was pretty damn good and made over 600 million. Kinda wrong to hold just two films, and mainly just one since it's the latest against him. It seems like a popular thing to do but one that makes no sense.

studyguy

Ah, gotcha. The team name literally means a suicide squad of "expendable" type dudes.
Do they just off a ton of them through the comic?

Penguin

Ah, gotcha. The team name literally means a suicide squad of "expendable" type dudes.
Do they just off a ton of them through the comic?

It's actually kind of funny, the teams "official" name is Task Force X, but no one calls em that.

Because they do go on these "suicide missions" and generally one or two of em may bite it over the course of a mission.

BadAss2961

Smith might be good, but I have the feeling that they'll keep the mask off for periods of time to accommodate him.
Leto is a very good choice. Same with Robbie.
Hardy's going to cause confusion if people are still thinking this is tied in with the Nolan films.
Courtney is pretty lackluster.
I don't know enough about Delavigne to make any judgement other than I have no idea if she's ever done film roles.

And Oprah Winfrey? Really? Just hire CCH Pounder and be done with it already.
It's not like Deadshot has a secret identity to protect. His mask is mostly for missions, and he's often without it in conversation. Smith should have plenty of time to show his face even if they give him the full mask.

Hardy disappears into the Bane role. He's practically unrecognizable unless you already know. His Bane and his Rick Flag will look nothing alike, causing no confusion.

Oprah not only looks the part and can pull off the role, but she brings unparalleled marketing to a film that's already loaded.

Magwik

Banned
It's not like Deadshot has a secret identity to protect. His mask is mostly for missions, and he's often without it in conversation. Smith should have plenty of time to show his face even if they give him the full mask.

Hardy disappears into the Bane role. He's practically unrecognizable unless you already know. His Bane and his Rick Flag will look nothing alike, causing no confusion.

Oprah not only looks the part and can pull off the role, but she brings unparalleled marketing to a film that's already loaded.
But CCH Pounder looks the role and has already played it. Sure nobody knows who she is, but they don't really need to with Will Smith heading things.

pulga

Banned
This is a very underwhelming way to reveal the next Joker
KuGsj.gif

But fuck it, ITS JARED LETO

HYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ReiGun

I love Pounder too, but I'm not about to act like Viola Davis or Octavia Spencer or Oprah - all amazing actresses - couldn't do an equally great job as Waller.

WB wins no matter who they get.

Neoxon

I love Pounder too, but I'm not about to act like Viola Davis or Octavia Spencer or Oprah - all amazing actresses - couldn't do an equally great job as Waller.

WB wins no matter who they get.
Not sure about Oprah, but I'd be down for the other 2. But I agree, C.C.H. Pounder > All of them.

Ahasverus

Wb is going all out with the suicide squad. Animated movies, videogames, now super star packed film as a priority. I guess the script is crazy good or they have a crazy idea, because they are really pushing the suicide squad lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom