• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Now that I look back at it... I really hope they give Tom Hardy a better role, a bigger character than Rick Flag.

styl3s

According to The Wrap (Hollywood Reporter)
http://www.thewrap.com/jake-gyllenh...hardy-in-david-ayers-suicide-squad-exclusive/

Jake Gyllenhaal may not have received an Oscar nomination for “Nightcrawler” on Thursday but he could still end the day with a win, as David Ayer is courting his “End of Watch” star to replace Tom Hardy as Rick Flag in “Suicide Squad,” an individual familiar with the comic book project has told TheWrap.

Warner Bros. had no comment, while a representative for Gyllenhaal didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

a916

What's the credibility of TheWrap?

They're saying Gyllenhaal is being eyed as a replacement. (I pray to god that's not true... Gyllenhaal is way too good to be used on a character like Rick Flag... give him a giant DC role)

Platy

styl3s

They're saying Gyllenhaal is being eyed as a replacement. (I pray to god that's not true... Gyllenhaal is way too good to be used on a character like Rick Flag... give him a giant DC role)
Not familiar with The Wrap but other sites are also reporting.

Cerberus

They're on the same level as Deadline, The Hollywood Reporter, and Variety.

a916

wow going from hardy to gylenhaal means they don't want to settle with some flunky in this role. he must play a big part in this film.

Yeah, that is true. It's weird they want to the SS movie to be held down by Flagg instead of a more recognizable face like Deadshot or Deathstroke... also I would want them to save Gyllenhaal for Hal Jordan or something big.

Yeah, that is true. It's weird they want to the SS movie to be held down by Flag instead of a more recognizable face like Deadshot or Deathstroke... also I would want them to save Gyllenhaal for Hal Jordan or something big.

i don't think you're going to be seeing people like hardy, gylenhaal, mcconaughey etc. in the big franchise roles for DC or Marvel since they're in the twilight of their careers now and don't want to be held back by a contract. (i'm assuming)

the only reason i think hardy signed on to this is that rick flag dies or he's only appearing in the sequel and not a bunch of other universe movies.

BadAss2961

i don't think you're going to be seeing people like hardy, gylenhaal, mcconaughey etc. in the big franchise roles for DC or Marvel since they're in the twilight of their careers now and don't want to be held back by a contract. (i'm assuming)

the only reason i think hardy signed on to this is that rick flag dies or he's only appearing in the sequel and not a bunch of other universe movies.
I just nearly came at the thought of McConaughey as Deathstroke.

Kouichi

Yeah Rick Flag was one of the most important and prominent characters in the original Suicide Squad (before it was composed of supervillains) and the Ostrander run which the movie seems to be taking its inspiration from. Back then, Deadshot was more of just a recurring member like Boomerang and Enchantress instead of full team leader like Rick.

Platy

The rumor was that Flagg would only be around for the first act/intro then either die or pass on the leadership to [gasp] Wil "I don't play 2nd fiddle 2 nobody" Smith.

So there is a rumor that the Joker only appears in Harley's flashback and disappear to be used in a movie with Batfleck ?

Penguin

Why couldn't it have been Jai! :(

On the bright side, no more complaints about people being confused at him being Bane and Flagg!

Platy

There's no way they would go to the trouble of signing Jared Leto and not use him to the fullest in this.

Fuck =/

First they praticaly forget he is a clown after 5 minutes in Dark Knight and now they think he is a person with ... teamwork ???? that can be manipulated to FOLLOW ORDERS ????

I hate movie Jokers =/

At least I can hope he is the villain on this movie....

Gleethor

I just nearly came at the thought of McConaughey as Deathstroke.

McConaughey needs to play an older Oliver Queen in the DCCU. He could be a disillusioned, JLU type of guy that only reluctantly works with the super-powered heroes and occasionally shoots the shit with Bruce Wayne doing billionaire stuff.

a916

I thought that as well too but then Marvel got Benedict Cumberbatch. (Also McConaughey is 11 years older then Jake)

Penguin

basically. He was probably offered something... Nova, perhaps?

The article literally says its because his current movie is running long and he has to tour for Mad Max promotion.

Sure, if nothing else, Warner will quickly try to get him for something else from em.

Between Batman, Inception and Mad Max.. one of their boys.

Busty

Banned
Eh. This could be down to any number of factors. It could be something as simple as scheduling. Then again it could be Will Smith's notorious tinkering of projects that he's involved with that could be upsetting the apple cart.

Either way this isn't really a big deal. They have plenty of time to find a replacement and Tom Hardy has a relationship with Warners that goes all the way back to Dark Knight Rises.

In fact he has a first look deal at the studio and is already fronting a possible franchise for them in Mad Max so unless something cataclysmic has happened this is probably just 'one of those things' associated with such a big project.

For what it's worth the current rumour is that WB intends for Suicide Squad to be like their Justice League film in so much as they could have sequels if it's a success as well as spin-offs featuring the main characters (though presumably not Joker) such as Deadshot etc.

Another rumour is that Ryan Gosling was being sought for Deathstroke rather than Joker as previously reported and the studio are still looking for a 'name' actor to play the role in this and presumably potential sequels and spin-offs.

Perhaps Hardy had second thoughts about being Rick Flagg for 'x' number of DC films at Warner Bros? Who knows. In some respects Gyllenhall might be a better choice for the ensemble as much as I love Hardy.

Now he can be in Marvel.

*roll eyes*

So there is a rumor that the Joker only appears in Harley's flashback and disappear to be used in a movie with Batfleck ?

The rumor was that Flagg would only be around for the first act/intro then either die or pass on the leadership to [gasp] Wil "I don't play 2nd fiddle 2 nobody" Smith.

Behave.

Penguin

Eh. This could be down to any number of factors. It could be something as simple as scheduling. Then again it could be Will Smith's notorious tinkering of projects that he's involved with that could be upsetting the apple cart.

I mean to be fair, almost every article has noted it was due to his schedule.

One noted it could be due to winning an award and thinking above this stuff, but a lot point to scheduling conflict

Which imagine is a tight schedule to shoot since out in about a year and a half

BadAss2961

Dream on, not cheap enough.

Wonder how many movies Leto is signed to, 3? 4? 2? Will they lock him up in Arkham until the inevitable Batman showdown and then kill him again?
We have a schedule that goes all the way to 2020 with no Batman movie listed. If that's how it stands, they'll need to be creative with how and when they use Joker. I could see his first appearance here being locked in Arkham but with him being loose by the end of the movie. From there, who knows.

I'd guess one movie missing from the slate is the Suicide Squad sequel that depends on this one's success. They'll definitely want to build off of everything being put together in this movie, and Joker could be involved in that.

ViciousDS

Banned
Margot Robbie as Harley......hm, that will be interesting. She is a really beautiful Lady though. Wonder if she is going to say Mr. J with her Australian voice lol.

Will see.....she has the talent to pull it off though.

We have a schedule that goes all the way to 2020 with no Batman movie listed. If that's how it stands, they'll need to be creative with how and when they use Joker. I could see his first appearance here being locked in Arkham but with him being loose by the end of the movie. From there, who knows.

I'd guess one movie missing from the slate is the Suicide Squad sequel that depends on this one's success. They'll definitely want to build off of everything being put together in this movie, and Joker could be involved in that.

No Batman stand alone that's in development. There will be a new Batman stand alone AND a new Superman stand alone before 2020. At least that's what WE is saying.

injurai

Banned
Margot Robbie as Harley......hm, that will be interesting. She is a really beautiful Lady though. Wonder if she is going to say Mr. J with her Australian voice lol.

Will see.....she has the talent to pull it off though.

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom