• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Reminds me, not sure if this was shared

B90f9MGCcAAtYzr.jpg:large

Planning photography #skwad

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/566644269822119936

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
We've seen more from Suicide Squad than we have from BvS. Or at least it feels like it. Good on Ayer for sharing things, and the updates. I get the feeling he really wants to show us what he's got in store.

Penguin

We've seen more from Suicide Squad than we have from BvS. Or at least it feels like it. Good on Ayer for sharing things, and the updates. I get the feeling he really wants to show us what he's got in store.

We have

It's not even close

And from the source

Not leaked set photos or anything

I think Ayer realizes that considering the IP, it's probably in everyone's best interest that the fans feel like they have enough stuff to talk about. Keep the buzz going.

We have

It's not even close

And from the source

Not leaked set photos or anything

No, we haven't. We've already seen official pics of all 3 main characters in BvS, the batmobile, and a leaked (though officially released to comic con'ers) teaser.

I know it might feel that way, but we really haven't.

Penguin

No, we haven't. We've already seen official pics of all 3 main characters in BvS, the batmobile, and a leaked (though officially released to comic con'ers) teaser.

I know it might feel that way, but we really haven't.

I guess more in the sense that for BvS that is over a year

For SS, this is roughly a month or so?

I guess more in the sense that for BvS that is over a year

For SS, this is roughly a month or so?

Month and a half, if we low ball it. For a film that's over a year and a half to release, we've gotten a lot of BTS from Ayer. More than Snyder seems to do for any movie, not just BvS. The fact that Ayer is teasing the fans every step, and not pulling a Snyder and doing a lot of hype for very little show, shows he really wants the fans involved, and that is a very welcomed change.

obin_gam

Month and a half, if we low ball it. For a film that's over a year and a half to release, we've gotten a lot of BTS from Ayer. More than Snyder seems to do for any movie, not just BvS. The fact that Ayer is teasing the fans every step, and not pulling a Snyder and doing a lot of hype for very little show, shows he really wants the fans involved, and that is a very welcomed change.

Yep. He's going the exact same thing Gunn did with GotG. Since the team isnt known (like at. all.) by the general audience, the more bts-stuff the better.

BadAss2961

It all makes sense. BvS is DC's most important release ever, and it features the most popular superheroes in the world. Everyone is all over this movie trying to get a scoop, which could spoil things a bit. It's best to keep this one close to the chest, as it absolutely has to set the world on fire.

On the other hand, Suicide Squad needs awareness. The aggressive casting shows that production knows this. It's the movie that will crack things wide open to expand the DCCU, and mainly features characters that a lot of people don't know. This is the project to be open about.

Loxley

In a weird way, I kind of respect WB/DC for not beating around the bush with casting a new Joker. Given that Heath Ledger's performance has become so iconic in such a short amount of time, you would think they'd be a bit hesitant to bring the character back into the fold with a new actor right away - but I like that they're just ripping that band-aid off quickly (well okay, eight years isn't exactly "quickly", but you get my point).

I'm really curious to see Leto's portrayal.

Penguin

Kibbles

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6479914/jared-leto-gaining-weight-playing-joker-suicide-squad

Jared Leto is on the cover of Billboard, their site quotes a little bit about Suicide Squad:

Playing the Joker onscreen means stepping into some big shoes left by Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger. So how is Jared Leto preparing for his role as the iconic Batman villain in Suicide Squad? By getting bigger.

"Do you mind if I eat a little?" Jared Leto asks Billboard during an interview for our new cover story, out Friday, Feb. 20. "I'm trying to gain a lot of weight. It means I have to eat every couple of hours -- and I'm terrible at eating a lot." (Case in point: Leto was eating vegan tacos during the interview, which are hardly the fattiest food on the market.)

Last December, Warner Bros. announced Leto would take on the Batman bad guy in a movie starring DC Comics supervillains. And he's not the only A-lister in the film: Will Smith also stars as Deadshot.

The 30 Seconds to Mars frontman, who won an Oscar for his portrayal of the transgender Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club, explains the increasing complexity of graphic novels drew him to this project.

"The opportunity to take on this nearly Shakespearean character -- that's what graphic novels and comic books are becoming, right?" Leto says. "[He's] this beautiful disaster of a character -- what a big challenge."

Read Billboard's full cover story about Jared Leto -- and fellow musician-actors including Jennifer Hudson and Jack Black -- on Friday, Feb. 20.
Not sure why he has to gain a lot of weight, he looks pretty fit.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There's a rumor, which I hope is not true, that
Flagg is actually a villain in this script.

Wouldn't be surprised. If they
play him off as their commanding officer, this super-patriotic guy, and near the end, it's revealed he's kinda the most morally grey, sociopathic monster that even Deadshot feels needs to be stopped... That seems likely in my eyes.

Overweight Joker would be amazing, lol.

I mean, where else do you go after Romero, Nicholson, and Ledger owned the character in their own respective ways?

1970's style Elvis Joker, baby!

Overweight Joker would be amazing, lol.

I mean, where else do you go after Romero, Nicholson, and Ledger owned the character in their own respective ways?

1970's style Elvis Joker, baby!

huh. That's just crazy enough to work...

She's looking at him like dude, stfu. We're not supposed to talk about this.

Haha I love it. He's all about it, and she's totally shooting him the "stfu" wife look. XD

Kibbles

Jared did a brief interview with Entertainment Tonight at the Oscars and he said it was the last time we'll see him with long hair and that it's his going away party for his hair.

2 days later, no pics yet, but his hair stylist changed his instagram photo so I think the deed has been done:
tumblr_nkb5c0iWFd1qamlhro1_500.jpg

/hairwatch

Maddocks

Hope we get deathstroke or joker tomorrow. I really hope its joker as the red hood, that would be amazing and it would be different then heath joker if leto is chemical pale in this universe.

anaron

"@markhughesfilms: Watch @Forbes tomorrow for my coverage of #SuicideSquad reveal, including lots of detailed discussion a/b film & the reveal! ;)"

"@markhughesfilms: Sorry, I can't say any rumors or anything I've heard for now. I'll cover whatever the announcement is when it comes, that's all I can say!"

Effect

"@markhughesfilms: Watch @Forbes tomorrow for my coverage of #SuicideSquad reveal, including lots of detailed discussion a/b film & the reveal! ;)"

"@markhughesfilms: Sorry, I can't say any rumors or anything I've heard for now. I'll cover whatever the announcement is when it comes, that's all I can say!"

Nice. Hope we get a lot of information tomorrow.

Is the 2011-2014 pre-New 52 run by Adam Glass any good?

That's actually the first New 52 run, or Volume 4. The one running right now, New Suicide Squad, is Volume 5.

It was alright. Bit forgettable, but it had its bright spots. Harley is kinda meh at first, and her hooking up with Deadshot could have been interesting sooner, but it doesn't get good until the Death of the Family tie in. In fact, it's basically the Harley Quinn show 90% of the time. Haven't read any of Volume 5 yet, but I heard it was interesting with Deadshot and Black Manta vying for control. Honestly, Ostrander's runs will always be the best.

Loxley

That's actually the first New 52 run, or Volume 4. The one running right now, New Suicide Squad, is Volume 5.

It was alright. Bit forgettable, but it had its bright spots. Harley is kinda meh at first, and her hooking up with Deadshot could have been interesting sooner, but it doesn't get good until the Death of the Family tie in. In fact, it's basically the Harley Quinn show 90% of the time. Haven't read any of Volume 5 yet, but I heard it was interesting with Deadshot and Black Manta vying for control. Honestly, Ostrander's runs will always be the best.

Oh, right. I forgot that New 52 started back in 2011 - doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Thanks for the impressions though, I'll definitely check out the earlier runs you mentioned as well.

Blader

When they first announced the DC slate, I thought following up Batman vs. Superman with a Suicide Squad movie was kind of a huh move... SS is a pretty obscure property stacked with mostly obscure characters, and seems like an odd choice to capitalize on the post-BvS hype. Not like any of these guys are going to be in the Justice League, after all.

But if their opening marketing salvo is the first look at the new Joker? then yeah, it makes complete sense to me now. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom