• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Thinking about the timing... perhaps this announcement is meant to offset the soft opening of Focus (and/or improve whatever back-end deals Smith and Robbie have in place for that film as a show of goodwill for Suicide Squad).

In other words, a Deadshot and Harley centered announcement that makes you curious to see them in Focus.

Joker and Harley are obviously the costumes I want to see the most, but each character besides Flag have pretty iconic getups. I hope they go for the mask on Deadshot, never cared for how he was shown in AC & AO.

One aspect of SS that I'm really curious to see is how they handle Enchantress. I need that full on magic DC, I don't want pseudo science or "Magic is science you don't understand" BS.

Joker and Harley are obviously the costumes I want to see the most, but each character besides Flag have pretty iconic getups. I hope they go for the mask on Deadshot, never cared for how he was shown in AC & AO.

One aspect of SS that I'm really curious to see is how they handle Enchantress. I need that full on magic DC, I don't want pseudo science or "Magic is science you don't understand" BS.

Enchantress is the only character in this incarnation who has proper powers, right? So I'm curious as well. (Also, about whether Delevingne can act).

Busty

Banned
I'm ok with this. Tom Hardy could easily be a more prominent figure, and I'd rather have Urban play Orm.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see current Warner golden boy Hardy turn up in another DCU project at some point.

Perhaps
Dark Universe's John Constantine for Del Toro
?

DaveH

@DavidAyerMovies:
2015-03-02 15:22:44 UTC
Should we? #SuicideSquad
MbRxTHc.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm glad they are going with Suicide Squad as the title, no pussyfooting around the title out of fear of what soccer moms will think about it.

Penguin

It's funny to see the difference between Ayer and Snyder

Ayer seems to enjoy teasing these things

Snyder is all like, here's Aquaman because I'm bored!

Busty

Banned
I'm glad they are going with Suicide Squad as the title, no pussyfooting around the title out of fear of what soccer moms will think about it.

I was thinking about this just the other day. I wonder whether Mattel will have a toy line to tie into (which might make use of the word 'Suicide' a bit tricky) this or whether DC Collectibles, which is aimed at an older demo, will produce figures instead.

Either way they have a 'get out' by being able to refer to certain merchandise and licensing stuff as 'Task Force X' rather than Suicide Squad. Walmart might feel a little more comfortable selling a Deadshot/Will Smith action figure with Task Force X on the packet.

Error

Was this the big reveal, or another teaser for a reveal later on today?

He's been using the #skwad hashtag for small stuff, this is the first time I've seen him use #SuicideSquad as the hashtag, seems to me it's something big coming.

Busty said:
I was thinking about this just the other day. I wonder whether Mattel will have a toy line to tie into (which might make use of the word 'Suicide' a bit tricky) this or whether DC Collectibles, which is aimed at an older demo, will produce figures instead.

Either way they have a 'get out' by being able to refer to certain merchandise and licensing stuff as 'Task Force X' rather than Suicide Squad. Walmart might feel a little more comfortable selling a Deadshot/Will Smith action figure with Task Force X on the packet.

There's no point in hiding the fact that this movie is going to be gritty as fuck, and I love it I mean why else would they get Ayer to direct it? Calling it Task Force X would've killed this movie as that name is awful, Suicide Squad on virtue of name alone is going to turn some heads around that's for sure.

I don't think WB is too worried about Action Figures with this one, they have BvS for that.

Pachimari

First he tweeted:

"Something will happen. Tomorrow" - his hair is gonna get cut.

And then:
"Should we?" - in regards to, should we cut his hair?

I can totally see this being the thing.

Loxley

Remember, that dude from Forbes said they'd have some sort of "reveal" along with "lots of detailed discussion about the film".

Re-reading his tweets, it partially seems like he was privy to some significant reveal relating to Suicide Squad, but it also seems like he had no idea what said reveal would actually be. It's a bit confusing :/

Mark (the contributor at Forbes) tends to make a mountain out of a molehill. He just takes what's rumored or talked about, and says he has "insider sources", but I can't recall him being on the money about anything.

Yeah, the title will definitely make it a harder sell to any demographic beyond teen/adult males. But without knowing what WB's expectations are for this film, it's hard to gauge how much of an issue that really is.

KingK

Do these companies really make that much money from their toy sales? I hardly ever see kids playing with toys anymore, it's all ipad games. But with all of these super hero properties, and cartoons of any kind, i always hear about how companies won't even give something a shot unless it has a marketable toy line.

Do these companies really make that much money from their toy sales? I hardly ever see kids playing with toys anymore, it's all ipad games. But with all of these super hero properties, and cartoons of any kind, i always hear about how companies won't even give something a shot unless it has a marketable toy line.

TV shows for certain, Movies not so much unless the movie is a Toy, Transformers, Battleship etc.

.... to be fair, "Suicide Squad" is a pretty dark title. I'm not saying it should be changed, but if there was a rash of suicides in the country, the moral thing to do would be to delay or to change the name.

Error

David Ayer is having fun, his followers numbers has increased like 20% just today.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

I assume they have big profit margins (high prices for a low cost).

chronos86

Yeah, the title will definitely make it a harder sell to any demographic beyond teen/adult males. But without knowing what WB's expectations are for this film, it's hard to gauge how much of an issue that really is.

I think the joker will sell most of the general audience on the film. I do hope the final title of the film is suicide squad but its hard to believe there won't be an uproar about the word Suicide being used from some Florida mom group somewhere down the road.

Error

There's a reason why Suicide Squad was chosen as the first post-BvS film, I think WB wants to separate themselves as much as they can from Marvel family friendly tone.

Going with Suicide Squad as the title is the logical choice if they want to achieve that.

I have no doubt that some films will be lighter down the road, The Flash and Shazam probably, but I think early on they'll want to offer another alternative of comic book movies and not just ape Marvel movies tone.

There's a reason why Suicide Squad was chosen as the first post-BvS film, I think WB wants to separate themselves as much as they can from Marvel family friendly tone.

Going with Suicide Squad as the title is the logical choice if they want to achieve that.

I have no doubt that some films will be lighter down the road, The Flash and Shazam probably, but I think early on they'll want to offer another alternative of comic book movies and not just ape Marvel movies tone.

I agree and also DC has such a strong, huge line up of villains, it makes sense to set up a franchise that can really highlight them.

So Forbes dude ran with the haircut as the big reveal....
That's my bet.

Can't have pics of the Leto as the Joker if they're just now cutting his hair. Even if they were to do the first photoshoot of the characters today, it would take at least a few days for them to do post on the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom