• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man, turns out the hair stylist photoshopped that picture

This is the original:

B_W4f-kWQAE6OQM.jpg

I thought everyone knew that. He was still blonde during that event.

Rooster12

Meh...Rick Flag isn't that important a character.

In the comics he was there for the first few missions and then he just disappeared.

Waller and Deadshot are way more important.

Loxley

Meh...Rick Flag isn't that important a character.

In the comics he was there for the first few missions and then he just disappeared.

Waller and Deadshot are way more important.

I'll admit I haven't really cared about Flagg's casting all that much - once Smith joined up and Joker was confirmed to be a part of the cast I figured Flagg wouldn't really be the most prominent character to begin with. Even more so with the addition of Harley Quinn, who you can bet is going to get a bunch of screen time being such a fan-favorite character.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sorry for this non-news bump but this is too crazy to not share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egsk74d38zA

She's basically saying WB should drop/replace Will Smith and Margot Robbie because they didn't save/sell tickets for Focus or Suicide Squad will bomb too. (I know Grace don't like DC in her other Youtube channel but this is just weird thing to hear)

IconGrist

Don't mind her. She routinely shits on DC related stuff. I think she used to work for Marvel or something along those lines (comics not movies) and her bias is pretty blatant.

My favorite bit was her constant worry about WB making Wonder Woman a slut and how she should have strong feminist tendencies, then when Gadot in costume was revealed she spent the whole video bitching about her hair and what type of shampoo they used on her.

3N16MA

Banned
That is why Marvel should have never cast Chris Evans as Cap/Steve Rogers. Fantastic Four did horribly and it would only translate.

Same for RDJ, when was the last time that guy had a hit? Better get someone else for Tony Stark.

Penguin

Details/rumors on the main threat/antagonists of the movie

Meet the head bad guy in #SUICIDESQUAD -
#ANTIPHON
who leads a badass terrorist cell called #ONSLAUGHT which is up against #DEADSHOT & the rest of the Suicide Squad.
Onslaught are hunting super heroes & villains for their own agenda
. They're like a special ops team made up of mercenaries.
Antiphon is a burn victim & has a prosthetic leg. Ed Harris was rumored for the role. Once Antiphon is officially cast will let you guys know.

https://instagram.com/p/0Fp2knjpgn/

Effect

Sorry for this non-news bump but this is too crazy to not share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egsk74d38zA

She's basically saying WB should drop/replace Will Smith and Margot Robbie because they didn't save/sell tickets for Focus or Suicide Squad will bomb too. (I know Grace don't like DC in her other Youtube channel but this is just weird thing to hear)

Ugh. Grace Randolph. No one should ever take anything she says seriously. Her ability to analyze things is horrible and she really doesn't know what she's talking about at times either. Take with a grain of salt anything she says when it comes to anything DC related these days. She hasn't meet a DC topic didn't want to bash yet. She knows people have that issue with her and she tries to say she isn't like that but she takes every opportunity to knock them or anything associated with DC. Even when she tries to say something positive it ends up being a back handed compliment. She can't help herself.

One can be critical but this is combined with her worship of Marvel who she used to work for as a writer, interviewer, and was their internet show host a few years ago before she was fired. She's a Marvel can do no wrong type of person.

Effect

I just can't see Smith as a villian. I bet his Deadshot's going to be more anti-hero. Have there been any reports saying otherwise?

Deadshot isn't an outright villain though from what I understand. At least not in the way we normally see the villains. He's not trying to take over something, steal, etc. He's simply a hired gun. I guess the big villainy comes from is that bad thing to do and what type of kills is he willing to carry out. Is there something he won't do for example. I'm not expecting him to be outright evil.

Come to think of it are any members of the Suicide Squad historically outright evil or the world domination type? I figure those types don't get caught or Waller knows they can't be controlled and send the squad after them.

Deadshot isn't an outright villain though from what I understand. At least not in the way we normally see the villains. He's not trying to take over something, steal, etc. He's simply a hired gun. I guess the big villainy comes from is that bad thing to do and what type of kills is he willing to carry out. Is there something he won't do for example. I'm not expecting him to be outright evil.

Come to think of it are any members of the Suicide Squad historically outright evil or the world domination type? I figure those types don't get caught or Waller knows they can't be controlled and send the squad after them.

You're correct. In fact, Deadshot can be played as one of the more sympathetic, as he has a daughter he tries to provide for. The rest are just villains in the "fights heroes" sense.

Really hope they get him.

Say what you will about WB/DC they put some awesome villains on the screen.

Seeing who they're after, they just need to bust down Viggo and Denzel to play a bad guy one of these days.

Viggo down ra's al ghul and it was rumoured Zod as well. Dude would have been GOAT at both imo, especially ra's

Denzel would be dope, I think he'd be up for it too

Penguin

We've kind of known about this one...

#DEATHSTROKE
IN #SUICIDESQUAD!
Deathstroke works with/for #ONSLAUGHT
& does their dirty work.
He's a hired assassin and he doesn't have any powers like in the comic book. They're going for a pre-super villain Deathstroke.
He's a huge part of both of the major set pieces of the film. His introduction is INSANE! He's badass & almost takes the team down on one mission single handed.
Deathstroke
has THE breakout & choicest role in the film. The running gun battle that sources are describing is something else. His suit is very stealth oriented. They used an actual US military tactical outfit for the basis. He's armed to the teeth, uses a sword and automatics.
In concept artwork he has two eyes. The mask is there and it's the iconic one. Rumor about Jason Clarke still in play is not true because he originally got offered Deathstroke months ago but has a scheduling conflict with Marc Foster's' 'All I See Is You.' Joel Kinnaman originally tested for the role as well but got Rick Flagg instead. Joe Manganiello has a scheduling conflict with Ryan Murphy's 'Scream Queens' BUT HE JUST DROPPED OUT! What does that mean? Deathstroke is 'probably' his
https://instagram.com/p/0IT61UDpg5/

Busty

Banned
We've kind of known about this one...
https://instagram.com/p/0IT61UDpg5/

Apparently Warners have very big plans for the
Deathstroke
character and I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the first characters potentially spun off from Suicide Squad. I imagine that any potential spin off would chart him
gaining his 'super powers' and loosing his eye
, gaining his iconic look.

They've been increasing the character's profile for a while (especially in Arkham Origins etc) now so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that his character is basically given such an amazing introduction in Suicide Squad.

It's also worth noting that DC's 'New 52' incarnation of
Deathstroke
is younger putting him closer in line with this cinematic version.

That new spoiler sounds amazing but not buying the actor for that role not a fit imo

Go and watch Ayer's Sabotage. It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but Joe Manganiello is actually really good in it.

I'd go as far as to say that he might even give the stand out performance in the film.

DC really does seem to have a lot riding on Suicide Squad. Joker/Deathstroke/Waller are all major players, and it's interesting they'd want to do all that work through what is probably the riskiest endeavor in their lineup.

Penguin

DC really does seem to have a lot riding on Suicide Squad. Joker/Deathstroke/Waller are all major players, and it's interesting they'd want to do all that work through what is probably the riskiest endeavor in their lineup.

1)It allows em to set-up a lot of villains to use in solo hero movies
2)It's something different than any of the competition has done.
3)If they execute it well, can extend beyond their typical comic audience. It's kind of the Ocean's Eleven of comic movies.

That said, I agree. As the 3rd major movie in their connected universe, it is a fascinating direction to go in.

Busty

Banned
That said, I agree. As the 3rd major movie in their connected universe, it is a fascinating direction to go in.

Warners are wisely 'zigging' as Marvel are 'zagging'. Rather than simply playing catch-up (and being viewed as the second string knock off) with Marvel by exactly copying their strategy WB are forging their own path with choices such as this.

Effect

Warners are wisely 'zigging' as Marvel are 'zagging'. Rather than simply playing catch-up (and being viewed as the second string knock off) with Marvel by exactly copying their strategy WB are forging their own path with choices such as this.

This is something people need to accept as well. Marvel's way was successful for them but it is not the only way to do things. Some people keep saying WB/DC are rushing or playing catch. Truth is they were always going to do things differently. They were originally going to do a Justice League film right from the start before the writers strike. Starting big like this this just seems to be what WB always wanted to do and then spider films out from that.

Gonzalez

Banned
1)It allows em to set-up a lot of villains to use in solo hero movies
2)It's something different than any of the competition has done.
3)If they execute it well, can extend beyond their typical comic audience. It's kind of the Ocean's Eleven of comic movies.

If this is a hit, then DC will sure have the better villain lineup compared to Marvel's very flat cast of bad guys.

Penguin

If this is a hit, then DC will sure have the better villain lineup compared to Marvel's very flat cast of bad guys.

I was gonna make that joke... and a bit of self-shilling

Running a poll on our site right now about best Marvel villains, and it is truly some slim and awful pickings.

I mean really only Loki and The Winter Soldier as ones people care about and don't think either is particularly great.

I think because FOX and Sony have almost all the good villains with Spider-man, the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Hell, I'd take Jim Carrey's Riddler or Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy over some of the Marvel ones.

iron man has the best villains in the mcu. loki is nothing special imo. it doesn't help that they went with the joker "he wanted to be caught" thing in avengers, that wasn't anywhere near as exciting as it was when ledger did it.

I was gonna make that joke... and a bit of self-shilling

Running a poll on our site right now about best Marvel villains, and it is truly some slim and awful pickings.

I mean really only Loki and The Winter Soldier as ones people care about and don't think either is particularly great.

I think because FOX and Sony have almost all the good villains with Spider-man, the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Hell, I'd take Jim Carrey's Riddler or Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy over some of the Marvel ones.

You're right. Marvel's villain lineup is usually compelling and an argument could be made that they're better than DC's, a good portion of cosmic marvel is tied up with FF4, no doom, no magneto, no phoenix force leaves them a bit dry. Honestly I'd rather see them get all their villains rights back than spiderman. I'm curious to see where the MCU goes after Thanos.

Hope deathstroke
gets his powers during suicide squad, maybe he'll lose an eye in a shoot out against deadshot and Waller will detain him + experiment with serum.
. Also expecting to see Suicide Squad game announced at E3 this year.

Penguin

I thought Sam Rockwell was a lot of fun even if his character was totally toothless.

I use to think Rockwell was a ton of fun.

But rewatching it recently, they give him no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The dude has problems unplugging a television and we're supposed to believe this is the dude the government trusts to ape Tony's tech?

Like at least some that he has some level of competency or sleaziness to him!

And Whiplash... gets jobbed out hardcore in both of his key scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom