• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1

pjUlh.jpg

Tsundere/yandere Nobuna > pink-haired Nobunaga.

Having a Koei fan go back in time to face the Sengoku period is way more interesting than having everyone from that era becoming idols and mafia pawns in today's Japan. Sorry, Sengoku Collection. I'd take Ieyasu and Yoshimoto playing football over haiku cafes any day of the week.

I'm glad not every single character is genderbent. And there are lolis, of course, but at least they're not scantily dressed.

Jintor

I can't wait for the really depressing light novel adaptations to start flowing instead of just romantic goddamn comedy after romantic goddamn comedy

Anyway:

Wolf's Rain 01

3yzsm.jpg

In which Tai stops mucking around in the digital world and becomes a wolf

I caught a few episodes here and there back in the day, but I think I'll take the effort to sit down and watch the whole thing... eventually.

Firemind

You mean "My Little Sister Is Among Them!"? I'd call that a full-blown harem with a tad of incest, so basically every other harem show in existence.

sonicmj1

Welcome to Backlog Season!

Haibane Renmei 1

This is a strange show. I can't really pin down my feelings on it yet.

I like the first half of the episode a lot. There are some nice montages of the town, and I like how it dives into the hatching without really slowing down to introduce anything. Combined with the first scene, it left me with a lot of questions about the world while quickly making the basic conceit clear.

I was rather impressed with the speed at which it dove from placid introductory meeting to grotesque body horror, and then back. The scene where she sprouts her wings is really intense. It's one of the few points in the episode with music (there's a lot of total silence in this episode, which I'm not very used to nowadays), and the 'camera' feels like it's almost constantly in motion, which fit with Rekka's anxiety.

O5uQc.jpg

This shot in particular had a lot of urgency to it, thanks to the animation, the camera panning along with her movement, and the bit of shakiness constantly occurring.

The episode is mostly very peaceful, but that sequence establishes that everything isn't lollipops and rainbows. Rekka's being transformed into something unknown, and losing her identity in the exchange. It's rough, and while her negative feelings will probably pass, they leave an impression on the viewer. I'm curious how much emphasis they'll put on the mystery behind the Haibane and the town they live in going forward.

The premise also reminds me of The End of the World in Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World (yet again!), but it's hard to tell at this point if that's just coincidence or not. I suspect a meaningful connection.

You mean "My Little Sister Is Among Them!"? I'd call that a full-blown harem with a tad of incest, so basically every other harem show in existence.

Well the sister is a creepy stalker trying to trick the MC into incest, so it's a little more out there than the normal harem.

Jex

C'mon now, there was a time before the esteemed harem genre was steeped in something as immoral as incest.

duckroll

Sword of the Stranger - Happy 5th Anniversary!

wdEdM.jpg
n8KPH.jpg

I watched the blu-ray again to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the movie this month, and it's every bit as good as I remembered. Such a fantastic film on all levels, and a really stunning debut by a first time director. It's sad, but Masahiro Ando probably peaked way too early, and I doubt he can ever surpass this in the rest of this career. I'll like to be proven wrong, but the staff and subject matter he gathered for this seems so special and once-in-a-lifetime that I really can't see him managing it again.

There's so much that is good about the movie, from the designs, the simplicity and smartness of the script, the music, the pace, etc. Every scene feels deliberated constructed to be part of a larger flow, to either create context, to foreshadow, to inform, or to excite. The entire move builds up into a spectacular climax which is chaotic but so well directed that the audience is never lost. It is incredibly rare for movies to be able to nail the sense of satisfaction such that a film starts with a promising and exciting introdcution, and proceed to build up the rest of the film to a climax which surpasses anything in the rest of the movie and is yet something which is foreshadowed and expected by the audience.

Sword of the Stranger is probably the best action animation feature every made, and five years after the fact it hasn't gotten any more dated nor has it lost any of the excitement and emotion which made it such a joy to watch the very first time. Nothing since then has remotely approached this level of adrenaline and emotional highs. In fact, as time passes, and other movies come and go, this movie only gets better with age, just like good fine wine.

10/10

IUS8l.jpg
mmRSh.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The premise also reminds me of The End of the World in Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World (yet again!), but it's hard to tell at this point if that's just coincidence or not. I suspect a meaningful connection.

Haibane is the best show ahhh. Also re: murakami, ABe himself acknowledged that it was an influence. I didn't see much aside from the similarities between Old Home and the End of the World, but not sure how you'd get that just from episode 1.

Only anime from 2002/3 era is worthy of more than a 'good' from me.

Brazil

Rinne no Lagrange 13

I missed Kamogawa
's light color scheme!
And I missed Try Unite too, but that didn't come back :(

So Lan's getting Evangelion'd, Muginami's being obtuse again, and Madoka's sad again. Business as always! Hopefully this time we'll get more action and mindfucks
and less stupid freaking Array.

Nothing says "I've been wandering through the desert and now I'm back for season 2 with a mystery" more than a random cape. Not even robots can escape these anime tropes.

wonzo

Banned
LoGH 1-2

logh2.jpg

Yeah, OtaNW was definitely the way to go for an introduction to the series. It did a far better job of fleshing out the back-stories of Yang and Reinhard and the world in general by giving us a far deeper view of the internal political machinations of both major space powers. It's amazing what one can do with an extra ~50 minutes!

Plus the animation was notably better in the movie but that's to be expected with the far greater budget. Fortunately, the movie didn't have the small talk between the individual soldiers and it also didn't touch on the incredible number of soldiers and casualties in the battle which certainly helped put things in perspective so this wasn't a complete waste of time.

Also, is it just me or are the previews and episode titles rather spoilery?

What an outstanding franchise.
a true watershed moment for the acclaimed eroge genre

sonicmj1

Haibane is the best show ahhh. Also re: murakami, ABe himself acknowledged that it was an influence. I didn't see much aside from the similarities between Old Home and the End of the World, but not sure how you'd get that just from episode 1.

Only anime from 2002/3 era is worthy of more than a 'good' from me.

She mysteriously appears in this town with nothing around it. Nobody in the town has any memory, including her. She can't leave. It might not go any further than that (now that I think about it, it'd probably be hard for it to go further than that), but I thought it was worth noting.

It's in my mind because I read the book and started watching Utena right afterwards, and that parallel is meaningful for entirely different reasons.

Jex

LoGH 1-2
Also, is it just me or are the previews and episode titles rather spoilery?

As a general rule I never, ever watch previews for any anime.

There are only two shows I've made exceptions for:

Penguin Drum - because all the animation for the previews was done solely for the preview, ensuring that they managed to combine cryptic foreshadowing and cute penguins.

Votoms - even though these were occasionally a little spoilery Votoms isn't really the kind of show you can spoil. I watched these solely for the amazing, gritty narration.

Defuser

Hyouka ep 12
One thing I give KyoAni props for is they know how to give a good festive atmosphere,it really makes you want to participate in it.

One thing interested me in ED is the special thanks section.

1E9dw.jpg

What did SNK do?

Sword of the Stranger was pretty good but dang if the spoken Chinese wasn't cringeworthy.

oh god yes. i don't remember, but did they infer that they were doing opium or some kind of drug that numbed their senses?

Or is chinese not being to feel pain some stereotype i'm not familiar with?

duckroll

oh god yes. i don't remember, but did they infer that they were doing opium or some kind of drug that numbed their senses?

Or is chinese not being to feel pain some stereotype i'm not familiar with?

It's not opium. There was nothing "inferred" because it's a pretty clear part of the story which they actually talk about. Maybe you shouldn't talk about things when you don't remember. Just watch the movie again because it's so awesome.

duckroll

So they are adapting the epilogue. I didn't know there was enough material for a full fledged movie. Was kinda hoping ufotable would move on to a new project(hint FSN) but oh well.

I don't think it's the epilogue. They already adapted the epilogue for the BD-box. This is a more recent "new chapter" story which Nasu released longer after the original novel.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think it's the epilogue. They already adapted the epilogue for the BD-box. This is a more recent "new chapter" story which Nasu released longer after the original novel.

Hmm. Because all I know about is the issue with Shiki's kid and I thought that was the epilogue. Now that you mention it, I did hear they animated it for the BD-Box. I don't know about the new chapter story.

Brazil

La storia della Arcana Famiglia 2

Are they really using "ciao" as a greeting? I'm going to murder someone.

Dropped!

Well I was thinking of rewatching Sword of the Stranger, but ducky is so rude, so no, I won't (today).

Hyoka Special

We all know Oreki is the biggest perv of the past 2 seasons, and they don't even really try to be subtle about it. Gotta love the whole "Go yuri, it's part of my theory."

Is it just me, or do these k-on lookalives not have k-on 'fat bottoms'? Hmmmm... hmmm... maybe I should rewatch k-on.

Jintor

Sword of the Stranger is probably the best action animation feature every made, and five years after the fact it hasn't gotten any more dated nor has it lost any of the excitement and emotion which made it such a joy to watch the very first time. Nothing since then has remotely approached this level of adrenaline and emotional highs. In fact, as time passes, and other movies come and go, this movie only gets better with age, just like good fine wine.

10/10

Alright, christ, I'll go get the Blu ray, jesus

Brazil

Wiki says it's interchangeable as hello and goodbye, particularly among friends. Is that not right?

Huh. Apparently they do use it as "hello" in Italy.

Mind blown.

In the rest of the world (including Brazil - we spell it "tchau"), though, it only means "goodbye".

But alright, you win this time, Arcana Famiglia.

Well I was thinking of rewatching Sword of the Stranger, but ducky is so rude, so no, I won't (today).

Hyoka Special

We all know Oreki is the biggest perv of the past 2 seasons, and they don't even really try to be subtle about it. Gotta love the whole "Go yuri, it's part of my theory."

Is it just me, or do these k-on lookalives not have k-on 'fat bottoms'? Hmmmm... hmmm... maybe I should rewatch k-on.

All the k-on comparisons almost make me want to at least almost watch one episode of it.

Finalow

Huh. Apparently they do use it as "hello" in Italy.

Mind blown.

In the rest of the world (including Brazil - we spell it "tchau"), though, it only means "goodbye".

But alright, you win this time, Arcana Famiglia.
that's italian man, ciao = hello. yep.

btw I'm going to start Galaxy Express 999, it should be great from what I read.

Novid

Banned
so...

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien = Zany Sucky HS romcom leading to eroge

muvluv = shitty harem romcom leading to eroge

muvluv aternative = grimdark

muvluv total eclipse = grimdark spinoff of grimdark with robots eating humans and it would have been good if it wasnt for the 3D

Fixed

Novid

Banned
Huh, I had no idea Danny Choo sold Culture Japan to Crunchyroll.

At the very least, you can watch the JC Staff studio tour episode without having to jump through hopes now:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/culture-japan/episode-9-how-anime-is-made-at-jc-staff-589806

(Or go back to season 1 when he does the fairly awkward tours of Japanese high schools, just in case you want to get your full weeaboo on!)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/culture-japan/episode-6-ita-g-festival-2010-574036
That one has a particularly funny/awkward moment with a guy who put Heartcatch Precure itasha all over his car... and Choo springs some of the actresses from Precure on him and he doesn't know how to respond. lol

When Choo gonna come home and be a business man and take Saban/Funi and Crunchy out of buisness for good? He cant keep fucking pretty Harakujku bitches forever. Somebody smack some sense into him and tell him the industry here need to set the fuck ablaze.

Ryuukan

When Choo gonna come home and be a business man and take Saban/Funi and Crunchy out of buisness for good? He cant keep fucking pretty Harakujku bitches forever. Somebody smack some sense into him and tell him the industry here need to set the fuck ablaze.

Your dementia requires professional help at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom