• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Batman: Gotham Knight

Direct to DVD anthology of six loosely connected episodes in the vein of The Animatrix and Halo Legends, it's basically a non-canonical bridge between Batman Begins and The Dark Night although the individual segmetns would mostly be at home in any Batman continuity rather than just the Nolanverse. It has proper Kevin Conroy Batman too which is a big plus!

The first segment is titled "Have I Got a Story for You " (Studio 4°C) and is probably the best of the bunch. Stylish from start to finish to the point of incorporating its title card into the episode itself, it covers a group of kids talking about their encounter with Batman in reverse chronological order. Consequently, it was very reminiscent of Batman: TAS's "Almost Got 'Im" and "Legends of the Dark Knight" what with the anthology feel to the individual segment and great use of the unreliable narrator.

oTmm4l.jpg
UpYFpl.jpg
G7qnfl.jpg

The backgrounds in this episode were so hot.

The second is titled "Crossfire" (Production I.G) and mostly some character work as two detectives question their role in assisting Gordon and especially Batman due to his vigilante status until they're given reason to have faith in him. The pair introduced here reprise roles in later segments as well. Personally I thought it was one of the weaker, if not the weakest, episodes.

wphatl.jpg

A more traditional Batman pose against the cityscape was presented this time.

The third is "Field Test" (Bee Train) which has some carryover from "Crossfire" but mostly is about a new trick up Batman's sleeve. If anything, the highlight of this segment was the lovely banter between Bruce Wayne and Lucius Fox.

hqL0Gl.jpg

The bishiest Bruce Wayne I've ever seen.
EGpKbl.jpg

Thankfully he translated into a rather striking Batman.

"In Darkness Dwells" (Madhouse) was the fourth and one I didn't care much for all told. The villains selected were good but everything just sort of happened and it felt like I was watching the second half of a tv episode rather than a (mostly) self-contained short animation.

dgwvNl.jpg

Not sure if I cared for the art so much in this episode. The grimace on Batman's face is comical.

"Working Through Pain" (Studio 4°C) was interesting in that it eschewed action for a more introspective look at Batman's motivations via flashbacks to his overseas training before he donned the cape and cowl. He's mostly bleeding out from a gunshot wound so maybe it's akin to the whole "life flashing before your eyes" bit.

FoZNtl.jpg

The surprised guest start here was the '89 Batmobile.

"Deadshot" (Madhouse) was the final episode of the six and it was fucking awesome because it was the god damn Batman vs Deadshot and initially played out like it was going to be Golgo 13 vs Batman before ending up something more standard for the characters.

osQjcl.jpg

Deadshot is such a boss in this.

It was a fun watch as a fan of animated Batman. I'm not so sure I'd recommend it to anyone that wasn't a fan of the franchise though although I might point people towards "Have I Got A Story For You" for being how nice it looked and it fully working as an independent piece.

Sword Art Online 3:

From what I'm told by the hardcore LN readers, this episode also rushed to fit an entire LN volume into one episode. I don't care, this episode was much better than the second and manages to hit the proper emotional notes, especially at the end.

I think the episode was better than the previous as well, just with the odd timed guild stuff, though I guess having them embrace and interact their world is necessary.

Ultimately they should have listened to Kirito anyway both times.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 14

ifqpqAYfySIxJ.jpg
iFhoUViu3ESSk.jpg

ibv3AxUQAzVYHm.jpg
i22TiFtxbVXio.jpg

Bueno.

This is definitely the best arc by far. In terms of animation, presentation, structure, and entertainment it's just been killing it. One of the reasons I enjoy the show is for its leisurely pace where I can just feel lazy and enjoy the little details going on but this episode was actually exciting. For an episode focused on cooking I think that's saying quite a bit. The way that each character and each element fell together towards the inevitable climax was great. Each main character was important to the success of the contest and even Oreki being the backstage MVP. So good.

I don't know how they can top this. The show has been on such a great stride lately.

Jarmel

Banned
It would be Kyoani vs. Bones vs ufotable. We would have Duckroll leading on the Bones side against the heathens. I would lead the ufotable sides with honor and the scumbag leader and the followers of kyoani would be destroyed.

Duckroll has a love/hate relationship with Bones, as pretty much any fan of their work does.

Jintor

Batman: Gotham Knight

Direct to DVD anthology of six loosely connected episodes in the vein of The Animatrix and Halo Legends, it's basically a non-canonical bridge between Batman Begins and The Dark Night although the individual segmetns would mostly be at home in any Batman continuity rather than just the Nolanverse. It has proper Kevin Conroy Batman too which is a big plus!

You know what, thanks for this, I've had it on my shelf for ages but never gotten around to checking it out

Firemind

The second is titled "Crossfire" (Production I.G) and mostly some character work as two detectives question their role in assisting Gordon and especially Batman due to his vigilante status until they're given reason to have faith in him. The pair introduced here reprise roles in later segments as well. Personally I thought it was one of the weaker, if not the weakest, episodes.

what

It's the strongest by far. It's the one that resonated to me the most and reminded me of TAS, as Batman kicked some serious ass.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Battle Athletes OVA - 01

They skipped the prelims/tryouts and went right to the part where Akari made it into Satellite University. And holy shit maybe it's just for the first episode but they did a 180 on Jessie's character. Who used to be an intimidating girl is now friendly and open.

Highlight of the episode:
Kris taking off her clothes so and trying to convince Akari AND Anna to do the same so they can get to know each other a bit better.

Narag

what

It's the strongest by far. It's the one that resonated to me the most and reminded me of TAS, as Batman kicked some serious ass.

You know, that's a fair point as the more I think about it, it is indeed reminiscent of the Montoya/Bullock stuff from the TAS to the point those characters could have been inserted in place of what we were given and it would have been right at home in TAS. Coming after such a strong lead probably didn't do it any favors for me so I'll go back and watch it by itself down the line to see if my opinion changes.

At least you're aware of what you've done..
----

SMILE PRETTY CURE 24

Suuuuuuuuppppaaaaaa AKANBE !!

Nice episode overall but i'm disapointed

The precure princess form should have been permanent upgrade, not a "just" finishing skill..

I love the skill by itself but i can't imagine seeing it again for the next 18 akanbe activations .. too much of a good thing is bad ..

Splash star had a nice power-up that changed their appareance and it was cool
Heartcatch too.. and that didn't prevent them from having a finishing skill ..

I wanted the precure in princess mode to fight ..it was a super akanbe after all ...

What ?? a HYPER AKANBE ?? No,no,no koei can't be THAT lazy ... Masaka .. at least i hope they aren't

cajunator

Banned
Third world countries don't participate in wars. Do they? LOLOLOOLOL

You'll see!

This pic is so saved.

Yeah. Pretty much was an insta-save when I saw it. that picture is DANGEROUS.

It would be the strongest country, so maybe it would give a shit about such minor conflicts.

Sales-wise it wouldn't even be a contest.

SHAFT's soldiers would die of fatigue on the first day.

I have lots of energy. The battle would go on for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Stoof

Your avatar is amazing, and so is the show you just watched.
By far the best aliens and fishing show I have seen to date.

Haha thanks!

And you're right. Wow. Tsuritama was such a ride. Great music, great story, great ending, great anime. I loved the way everyone developed, especially Akira. Haven't had much time for anime recently but after that I definitely need to make some more time, my backlog is huuuge.

NewFresh

I wonder what an animu-Gaf civil war would be like?

Well seeing as there is going to be a Hispanic uprising soon enough...

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

The Hosodacalypse is nigh. None shall be spared from its excellence.

Some of the last third dragged a bit, but the vast majority of it (ending included) is top-class animated cinema that anyone will love if they have a single remotely romantic bone in their body. Bonus points if you think animals are cool.

It's hard for me to recommend it highly enough. You all should see it if it is showing anywhere near you.

bogOo.gif

Joule

Dog Days s2 3:
Is4dv.jpg
ym0nZ.jpg

Touhou 8: Imperishable Dog Days. Master Sparks we got those.
I'm already liking Pastillage and they've only been involved for an episode before this one. Rebecca and Couverte make a fun pair. I've always liked broom assisted flight and I hope they show off more of it in later episodes long with Rebbeca's bullet grazing abilities. Her spell cards are kind of generic but that's cool to start off with. She's definitely my favourite of the three heroes now. Couverte is amusing in her own right. I respect the Top Gun flying carpet and the being a mobile cannon (only to get stomped by Leo but she's the best). The battle ended about half way into the episode but it's been a pretty good 2.5 episode run of just straight Dog Days war simulation. The other half was the usual sort of antics but I did like how Rebbeca isn't just in some friendzone rut and actively poked fun at Cinque's many relations with the Biscotti crowd.

Rebbeca is pretty cool. Couverte has the right idea. Also :lol at all the 'disrobing' going on.

Emitan

Kind of tired of playing Guild Wars 2 because my progress will just get reset so I'm rewatching FLCL again. I don't really know if anything new or interesting can be said about it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 14
Another really phenomenal episode of Hyouka. The pacing was snappier than usual, which was impressive as the show walks on the tight rope of believability during these more surreal episodes in such a detail oriented series. A lot of the time the incredibly expressive animations are internalized to showing individual character traits and means of operation, but this episode had a number of strong physical interactions between multiple parties.

I actually had a very specific issue with the structure of the episode as it was written.
The scenes with Mayaka being stuck drawing her poster as the clock ticks away add nothing to this episode from a story perspective. The scene with her running to the contest through the crowded school is really great from a visual perspective, but it hangs on nothing when the task keeping her was ultimately trivial. It would be one thing if all of the episodes tension stood on her arriving in time, but instead we have already been presented with the problem that there are no ingredients for her to work with, and the missing ladle comes in to play to up things further.

It would have been much more beneficial to the episode for the Manga Club's president to somehow come back in to play with Mayaka making it to the club in time or missing it entirely. As it is, Mayaka working against the clock feels like a piece of fluff in an otherwise tight episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kind of tired of playing Guild Wars 2 because my progress will just get reset so I'm rewatching FLCL again. I don't really know if anything new or interesting can be said about it.

Same, playing in every beta took its toll on me. I'm surprised I managed to hit lvl 7 on my guardian during this event.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 14
Another really phenomenal episode of Hyouka. The pacing was snappier than usual, which was impressive as the show walks on the tight rope of believability during these more surreal episodes in such a detail oriented series. A lot of the time the incredibly expressive animations are internalized to showing individual character traits and means of operation, but this episode had a number of strong physical interactions between multiple parties.

I actually had a very specific issue with the structure of the episode as it was written.
The scenes with Mayaka being stuck drawing her poster as the clock ticks away add nothing to this episode from a story perspective. The scene with her running to the contest through the crowded school is really great from a visual perspective, but it hangs on nothing when the task keeping her was ultimately trivial. It would be one thing if all of the episodes tension stood on her arriving in time, but instead we have already been presented with the problem that there are no ingredients for her to work with, and the missing ladle comes in to play to up things further.

It would have been much more beneficial to the episode for the Manga Club's president to somehow come back in to play with Mayaka making it to the club in time or missing it entirely. As it is, Mayaka working against the clock feels like a piece of fluff in an otherwise tight episode.

All of that was for Oreki's benefit though. I finger the manga club stuff will come to a head with a reveal that the
other girl was somehow involved or was at least a big fan of the manga Mayaka was looking for.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
All of that was for Oreki's benefit though. I finger the manga club stuff will come to a head with a reveal that the
other girl was somehow involved or was at least a big fan of the manga Mayaka was looking for.
This would be fairly obvious and uninteresting unless handled in a very specific manner. I also don't really see how the manga club scenes play to Oreki's benefit unless I'm missing something.

Andrew J.

Hyouka 14

I think it was effective in showing that she's a perfectionist who cares about doing things right, which reinforces the point from the previous episode that she believes in objective quality, and foreshadows the climax of the cooking scene, with Mayaka not willing to take the ingredients out of the fryer until the last possible moment.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ro Kyu Bu 1

I can't do this.

I know.. There's cute, and then there is irritating. Some shows walk a very fine line for me. I couldn't tell which RKB would be, but I decided not to take my chances. At least in doujinshi I don't have to listen to them talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom