• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
QKVXLl.jpg

Man, without the episodes on hand, I really can't find a good picture of Oreki's sister. lol

Branduil

Hyouka - Episode 14

This is fucking perfection. This arc. This animation. This art. This KyoAni. PERFECTION. WILD....... FIRE!!!!! This arc could last forever and I would be happy. So good. SO GOOD. The mystery they've been building up behind the scenes each week has been intriguing too. THIS IS THE BESTO EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAJQa.jpg

I told you my OTs were good luck.

Soma

Ehhh I kinda agree with the second part at least, regarding Kids On The Slope.

Something about the character designs in that show looked really off at times.

Hyouka started to get more interesting with the whole film arc. It was really only a few episodes where it was truly boring, like that awful one about the teacher's lesson plan.

duckroll

Sakuga doesn't make anything less boring. It just makes stuff nicer to look at. Hyouka always had great animation and art. People like this arc because it's actually fun and exciting, instead of 4 people sitting in a room talking about what their math teacher might or might not be thinking.

Branduil

Hyouka started to get more interesting with the whole film arc. It was really only a few episodes where it was truly boring, like that awful one about the teacher's lesson plan.

Yes, that particular episode bordered on self-parody. I'd say episodes 3-5, and 7-current have all been great, with the current arc being the strongest.

duckroll

Best Hyouka episodes: Ep12-14

Great Hyouka episodes: Ep4-5, 8, 11

Good Hyouka episodes: Ep7, 10

Okay Hyouka episodes: Ep1, 3, 9

Bad Hyouka episodes: Ep2, 6, 11.5

duckroll

11.5 is really only bad because of the quality.

Nah I found the episode absolutely wretched in terms of writing. It was pointless and served only to hammer the audience on the head with the notion that Houtarou needed to "bounce back" after his set back in the arc. It left nothing to the imagination, the mystery was insipid and mundane, and there's really nothing in the episode at all which I found worthwhile of my time or attention.

Good thing it's just an optional episode. It would suck if it actually took up a week of broadcast.

Branduil

Hyouka scores:

Perfect 10: Episodes 12-14

Excellent 9: 5, 8, 11

Great 8: 4, 7, 9, 10

Lucky 7: 1, 3

Mixed 6: 2

Dry 5: 6

My eyes are bleeding and not in the good way: 11.5

Risette

A Good Citizen
Tsuritama 2

It's so nice to have a show with a visual style that is so distinctive and colorful while remaining pleasing and cohesive rather than clashing and jumbled. What I'm saying is, it looks nice. Shaft, take note.
Indeed.

Tsuritama is what a true stylish anime looks like. Schizophrenic editing and jarring, random visual style shifts does not make stylish. It's just messy. SHAFT am cry.

Although that's not to say that one could not use deliberately disorienting editing (I mean, Tsuritama, which we are praising, and the other shows by the real Kenji Nakamura do this in particular often, but as a proper device of constructing the show rather than a cheap parlor trick gimmick) and visual style shifts as part of their style, but for the SHAFToids, it's nothing more than a crutch because most of them don't know how to make interesting things without them. It's like the anime equivalent of a dutch angle but worse because it encompasses multiple things. :(

Uchip

Banned
Indeed.

Tsuritama is what a true stylish anime looks like. Schizophrenic editing and jarring, random visual style shifts does not make stylish. It's just messy. SHAFT am cry.

Although that's not to say that one could not use deliberately disorienting editing (I mean, Tsuritama, which we are praising, and the other shows by the real Kenji Nakamura do this in particular often, but as a proper device of constructing the show rather than a cheap parlor trick gimmick) and visual style shifts as part of their style, but for the SHAFToids, it's nothing more than a crutch because most of them don't know how to make interesting things without them. It's like the anime equivalent of a dutch angle but worse because it encompasses multiple things. :(

are camera angles your nemesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom