• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 06

NXj4p.jpg

Buy our CDs today!

Gin and his bubble gum. I like this episode story, so that's good.

Branduil

Hyouka has pretty exceptional writing so far this season, as uneven I think what came before is even in what people consider to be "good" episodes. Like really, unless you have some amazing excuse I would say it takes priority over anything else this season. They are must watch episodes that set standards for what I wish I got more of from TV anime.

Going by the impressions, the low points are really low. It's definitely a series I will be very curious to watch.

itCAFAXqxycjx.gif

cajunator

Banned
I like to think I'm the type of guy that looks up. Like when I'm walking up a flight of stairs, and an unsuspecting girl in a short skirt is walking several steps ahead of me.

Enjoy it! Spice and Wolf is one of my very favorite shows. So much Holo trolling - so many money problems - sooo good.

So good that I double dipped on the show to get the blurays.
I need more.

Branduil

People think hyouka has acceptable writing?

It's just your average #45512 LN with otaku pandering (Chitanda character is fucking offensive) and boring mysteries.

Not that it's writing has tended to be amazing or anything, but it is unfortunately not true that the average LN is of this quality.

wtf is wrong with her face

Incurable case of KEY syndrome.

How is the writing even decent?
The mysteries are atrocious.
The characters are boring. Chitanda is particularly offensive, her character and personality doesn't make any fucking sense unless she really suffers some kind of mental deficit, otherwise she's just a mary sue, glorified female figure for otaku.

People should stop using the term Mary Sue when they don't know what it means.

In any case, yes, she is clearly designed to appeal to otaku, but she's hardly one of the worse characters of that type. I mean she actually has an interest in things that are not the MC, that alone puts her above a majority of anime females.

I have a mirror if I wan to see something good looking, so if the content is boring then it sucks.

No offense intended but I'd be willing to put down money that Hyouka is better-looking than your face.

85.74% of people on the internet who use the term Mary Sue does not know what it actually means.

That's optimistic.

So if I say that I think Hyouka is just okay will I get attacked from both sides?

Well considering your previous KyoAni hate that's a pretty strong endorsement.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are they all adaptations though? One looks like a 4-koma gag manga, another looks like a spin-off, and I'm not sure what the other 3 are but they don't seem to be the same story.
2-3 of them are the same story, one is a gag, and one is a spinoff of a side character.

Branduil

Most talented? WHOA THERE!

Maybe not talent, but there's no question that KyoAni is without peer in their ability to give their talent the resources necessary to succeed. I mean they've reached a level where they're producing 20+ episode shows that could be mistaken for movies in terms of visual quality. It's kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

Uchip

Banned
Maybe not talent, but there's no question that KyoAni is without peer in their ability to give their talent the resources necessary to succeed. I mean they've reached a level where they're producing 20+ episode shows that could be mistaken for movies in terms of visual quality. It's kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

maybe they just need to adapt more interesting source material
would love to see an action series

cajunator

Banned

Dont underestimate the power of beef bowls.
The HIGHEST QUALITY beefbowls.

sonicmj1

Gunslinger Girls 3

Back to some good times.

Here we meet Rico, another assassin in the Social Welfare Agency who actually has some memory of her past. There's some tension between her gratefulness at being saved from a life confined to a hospital bed, and the life she has been denied. Parts of the episode felt a little obvious (
As soon as her handler told her to kill anyone who saw her, I knew Emilio wouldn't survive the episode.
), but it was still great.

AyYZX.png

Cute girls doing cute things.

This is a pretty fucked up government agency. Not only are they brainwashing little girls, they're apparently
killing political opponents too
. They're not exactly good guys.

wonzo

Banned
Gunsmith Cats 1

While this wasn't as action packed or as masterfully crafted as Riding Bean was, it certainly had the same charm and was still incredibly enjoyable. Definitely lookin' forward to the next two.

oh yeah, brown rally > blonde rally and the OP fucking owns

Branduil

Gunsmith Cats 1

While this wasn't as action packed or as masterfully crafted as Riding Bean was, it certainly had the same charm and was still incredibly enjoyable. Definitely lookin' forward to the next two.

oh yeah, brown rally > blonde rally and the OP fucking owns

Episode 2 is great.

fertygo

I only recognize Nozomu Abe from Ufotable (and I think he's freelance not ufotable staff) gang to be honest, rest of them is fairly have no name so far. When you check F/Z credit for example, nothing recognizable there.

wonzo

Banned
Ah, the classic mosaic filter. Were they worried they may have been sued by Apple for patent infringement if they used the bright beam censor?
nah, that was my own filtering and apple will never take away my shitty filters for as long as i live

DrWong

http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Wolf Children/movie/17114/

Wolf Children
Release Date: 6th September 2012
Language: Japanese
Genre: Drama
Director: Mamoru Hosoda
Cast: Aoi Miyazaki, Takao Osawa
Local Distributor: Encore Films

YES! THE REST OF YOU CAN SUCK IT! :D
First box-office results for Wolf Children (watched it last month: not bad but not the best of Hosoda movies in my mind) which has been released last week in Japan: the movie opened at number 2 with 383 screens. Better opening than Brave (563 screens) which was number 5. Better week-end than the last Pokemon movie (2nd week, at number 3). A good news for Hosoda and the future of his new studio.

Taruranto

People should stop using the term Mary Sue when they don't know what it means.

In any case, yes, she is clearly designed to appeal to otaku, but she's hardly one of the worse characters of that type. I mean she actually has an interest in things that are not the MC, that alone puts her above a majority of anime females.

Oh, spare me. The term mary sue may have been originally used to describe a seft-insert of the author, but it's pretty much used in a wider context now.

She's not better than the other Kyoani cockroaches.

duckroll

Oh, spare me. The term mary sue may have been originally used to describe a seft-insert of the author, but it's pretty much used in a wider context now.

People using a term wrongly does not equate it being used in a "wider context" at all. Just admit your mistake and move on. Being stubborn about being corrected is poor form when it comes to self improvement.

Articalys

Sket Dance 68

Another great episode. The Operation Love Potion story is another one of the good ones. Also for some reason only now did I realized that Jouji Nakata voiced Chuu-sensei.

Taruranto

People using a term wrongly does not equate it being used in a "wider context" at all. Just admit your mistake and move on. Being stubborn about being corrected is poor form when it comes to self improvement.

Languages and words evolve. We aren't talking about Shakespeare here, it's a term invented by the Internet originally used to describe self-insert female character in fanfiction. It's been a while since the Internet has started to use Mary Sue to describe also overly-perfect, wish-fulfillment female characters. You can either accept this change or start bickering every time with 85.74% of the Internet about this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom