• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Horizon & Wolf S2 ep3

Outstanding episode. The negotiations were filled with so much fighting spirit it was palpable.
Aoi Tori keeps being awesome, I especially appreciated his PC nick, though his sister wasn't much behind.

Saint Seiya Omega 16
tumblr_m7qib0usfF1rpj3qyo1_500.gif

That was actually a pretty fun and hilarious episode with my favorite song playing during the most epic moment. I wish Yuna was a bit more responsible, but regardless fun moments, with Souma stealing the show in every regard, and Kouga delivering the great lines.

wonzo

Banned
YATP 2011 - Midning My Own Business

This was a surprisingly relevant commentary on bullying and the cowardice of not intervening. The unique and striking visuals do a great deal of delivering that message in an incredibly thought provoking manner. Easily my favourite of the four YATP 2011 projects.

yatp2011mmobc.jpg

How do you spoil K-On? By explaining its premise?
maybe you should watch it and find out

I couldn't actually think of a Yuri story that wasn't super tropey. I just wanted to pick something with a little bit of dignity rather than just OMG WOMEN BE KISSING AND MAKING VAGUE SEX NOISES.

I mean, Antique Bakery is hardly unstereotypical, but at least it has actual gay men with adult love/sex lives and jobs (and a lot of delicious cake) alongside its straight characters and their personalities aren't defined by their positions while screwing.

Simoun

Narag

Dark Cat

Gave the dub a shot and it wasn't even the good kind of bad. It was just garbage with some weird additions. Music was even apparently removed in one scene.

Removing that distraction didn't really do the OVA any favors though. It's not all that engaging even with the almost interesting premise of the two brothers that can turn into cats and fight tentacle monsters. Perhaps if it was at the same time this might have been salvaged. Instead it's just boring. If I had to mention one positive, some of the creature design was appropriately unsettling. Mostly I'd say from overusage of phallic imagery.
Seriously, it's like if you're the least bit ill tempered, bam, you turn into a dick monster.

Star Driver 5
tumblr_m7quncOC0X1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Probably will remain one of the most memorable fight scenes in the show. She was actually skillful
but of course went into her bishonen obsession mode to gaze at the second coolest anime character in a Bones anime, and then lose
. I also love the music that plays when they go into this dimension of cybodies, its so dramatic both the singing and the background music.

Nafe

She was one of the 5 generic members who had lines in ep12. You already identified Ayana Taketatsu, so there are only 4 more possibilities! Beyond that, you're on your own. :(

Okay, thanks duckroll. Not sure why I didn't check the credits at the end of the episode earlier but I saw her name there.

Well, two members greet Mayaka with "Ohayou",one mentions she's never heard of They were Eleven and the final long haired girl comes along and asks what Ayana Taketatsu's character is borrowing. I think the long haired girl is her. At least of the four K-On! seiyuu I hope she got a little more than "Ohayou".

Narag

Rayca

Seventeen minute CG OVA from 2002 that sort of drifts in-between looking good and looking ugly. The premise is:

Rayca is a girl of the 31st Century where individuals exist only as computer data. She comes to the 21st century to learn about our sub-culture
There's nothing in the OVA that conveys that much detail although it's alluded to by real world scenes giving way to wireframes and representations of data passing by. The OVA itself plays out in a series of vignettes as Rayca experiences what humanity offered at the time.
Rayca herself was animated well enough though the model was lacking in detail. I wasn't a fan of the real world backgrounds being filtered and having Rayca placed within them but it was enjoyable enough.

Oo4Yxl.png

Those dead eyes. Lighting improved in future segments so she didn't look nearly as bad later on.

Articalys

SAO's massive anime boost continues.
*1, 41,420 106,539 Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
*2, 30,427 417,428 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou vol.3
*3, 25,400 134,631 Sword Art Online vol.10
*4, 25,245 266,614 Sword Art Online vol.1
*5, 23,270 222,545 Sword Art Online vol.2
*6, 20,479 201,971 Sword Art Online vol.3
*7, 18,630 195,826 Sword Art Online vol.4
*8, 16,582 875,380 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou vol.1
*9, 16,117 *31,745 Oda Nobuna no Yabou vol.9
10, 15,594 180,540 Sword Art Online vol.5
11, 15,013 *15,013 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol.7
12, 13,956 175,466 Sword Art Online vol.6
13, 12,329 168,013 Sword Art Online vol.7
14, 11,988 *86,802 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei vol.6 Part 1
15, 11,702 168,154 Sword Art Online vol.8
16, 11,551 614,443 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou vol.2
17, 11,104 *15,019 Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki Kids Edition
18, 10,951 167,681 Sword Art Online vol.9
19, *9,928 427,599 Summer Wars
20, *9,879 **9,879 Hatsune Miku no Shoshitsu
21, *9,600 *78,328 Kotenbu Seriesvol.5
22, *9,351 **9,351 Saenai Kanojo no Tsukurikata
23, *8,942 163,411 Kuroko no Basket vol.1
24, *8,906 150,772 Kuroko no Basket vol.2
25, *8,888 **8,888 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai vol.8
26, *8,854 *98,620 Kagero Days - in a daze -
27, *8,786 *16,215 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru vol.5
28, *8,298 239,796 Kotenbu Series vol.1
29, *7,920 208,818 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.8

Narag

Dark Side Cat

Ok, this was pretty cool. Six 6 minute flash animated shorts about a cat that I initially assumed to be some sort of hero. Well, he is of sorts to other stray cats but he spends most of the episodes fucking with citizens of the city while adorned in red leather pants, a cape, and spiked bracelets. He's not real happy with the current mayor's plan to capture all stray cats and has his own beef with humanity which I guess justifies him being such a colossal asshole. I found it rather funny, the soundtrack was pretty fab, and it's definitely something I was glad I stumbled upon while looking something else up.

Show is up on CR too: http://www.crunchyroll.com/dark-side-cat

Ib1w3.jpg

Such a boss.
JxJLg.jpg

Not a single fuck was given.

NewFresh

Rayca

Seventeen minute CG OVA from 2002 that sort of drifts in-between looking good and looking ugly. The premise is:

There's nothing in the OVA that conveys that much detail although it's alluded to by real world scenes giving way to wireframes and representations of data passing by. The OVA itself plays out in a series of vignettes as Rayca experiences what humanity offered at the time.
Rayca herself was animated well enough though the model was lacking in detail. I wasn't a fan of the real world backgrounds being filtered and having Rayca placed within them but it was enjoyable enough.

I just watched this today as well. I wasn't particularly interested in writing it up, so I am glad you took the liberty to do so. I thought that if I put myself into the mindset of this being made in 2002, that I would be ok with the CG, but even by those standards this OVA looks like it needs work.

Narag

I just watched this today as well. I wasn't particularly interested in writing it up, so I am glad you took the liberty to do so. I thought that if I put myself into the mindset of this being made in 2002, that I would be ok with the CG, but even by those standards this OVA looks like it needs work.

Yeah, it was unfortunately ugly but I had a feeling it was worked on linearly, I guess. I thought the quality was improving with each story, especially towards the end then y'know, time for credits so it was all for naught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom