• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanken Driland 00
So a Youtube 3 minute preview I guess of the series.
Yeah, I can't get over how ugly the characters look. It would be much nicer if everyone sported bangs or something, but without that it's basically super forehead power. Show looks pretty generic with some drama going on with I guess the princess wanting to adventure. The action wasn't that much instead of characters bouncing around trying to hit a monster. Well whatever, saved me from having to actually watch a full episode.

I would like to see some numbers to back that up.

It was an exaggeration.

but there are enough doujin databases (sure, I will not post URLs here) and the KyoAni shows are doujin paradise. Only Madoka is in the same league as K-On! or Haruhi, Bakemonogatari is surprisely tame and other shows like Denpa Onna, Natsu, Arakawa... forget it.

Jex

As long as sales of the manga increase, I suppose that's what really matters.
I believe duckroll was discussing this earlier on IRC. I can't remember if what manga he was looking at, or how much data he poured through but it looks like the manga sales for a certain title got a very distinct bump from the existence of the anime version. It would take a lot of leg work to quantify this over a larger range of shows, but if it roughly holds true than it would explain a lot.

It was an exaggeration.

but there are enough doujin databases (sure, I will not post URLs here) and the KyoAni shows are doujin paradise. Only Madoka is in the same league as K-On! or Haruhi, Bakemonogatari is surprisely tame and other shows like Denpa Onna, Natsu, Arakawa... forget it.

Why make a doujin when you can just watch the show?

Jex

Tsuritama bombing and shows like Natsui iro Kiseki and Sengoku collection selling is a fucking travesty.

Now, to be fair to Japan Natsui iro Kiseki is only selling because of the voice actress group involved with the show. As far as I can tell from watching exactly one episode the series has no redeeming features.

Geneijin

It was an exaggeration.

Unless you're willing to provide numbers for example of how large each respective fanbase is and its correlation to the number of doujins released, it only represents how minuscule the fanbase for each respective Shaft show is and how big the fanbase of K-On actually is (popularity really) but in no way does it credibly attribute those "type" of fans in each of those fanbases.

7Th

Yeah, I can't get over how ugly the characters look. It would be much nicer if everyone sported bangs or something, but without that it's basically super forehead power.

The adorable character designs are the best thing about the show, man.

Geneijin

Now, to be fair to Japan Natsui iro Kiseki is only selling because of the voice actress group involved with the show. As far as I can tell from watching exactly one episode the series has no redeeming features.
Its redeeming features are in the same vein as last year's Inu x Boku SS. The extra sales are probably from those other fans however.

sleepykyo

Finally getting around to watching Madoka. Twist has been set up in the first episode, which is good I guess. Animation is Shaft as usual. Must be one of those had to watch it while it was new things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I weren't so lazy and late and lazy, I so would have sniped that Kyouko av.

Maybe I can get an Ayano consolation prize.

0CmET.png

Was the best version of her I could find.

Go_Ly_Dow

[Tari Tari] - 1

TariTari1.jpg

Tari Tari is the latest series from Progressive Anime Works (yes, that is their full title). You may already know it as 'that show that looks like Hansaku Iroha'. It's quite understanable why such a comparison would arise - both shows feature very similar looking character designs, a very similar colour, similar background art and that classic PA works soft-lighting that fills every scene.

However, beyond the visual similarities these shows seem to be quite different. Hansaku Iroha really was about running an inn, where as this shows focus is clearly on teenagers in school. I can practically hear your groans from here - another show about teenagers in highschool? I am afraid so. I was extremely resilient to the idea at first because I think we've all seen too many shows cover this ground. However, this show eventually won me over.

Unlike Hansaku Iroha which was focused largely on Ohana this shows does a good job of introducing us to a wide range of non-stereotypes right off the bat. The cast doesn't solely consist of 'the shy gir', 'the genki gir' and 'the tsundere'. Instead we're treated to a wide range of people who aren't as easily categorised as usual. Now, this shouldn't be a massive deal but frankly, for anime, this is quite impressive. Everyone feels fairly natural and likeable at this point in time and I didn't have to shout at the screen once, so that's a very good thing indeed.

However, unlike Hanasaku Iroha the direction and editing isn't nearly as tight. It's not bad, per see, it's just unremarkable. Luckily the actual strength of the cast manage to pull through this episode.

....and with that, summer has a confirmed good show!

Iroha this, Iroha that. PA Works still hasn't bested their first production: True Tears.

damn straight!

Damn straight. Hiromi ftw , fuck Aiko and fuck Noe.

bro?

Go_Ly_Dow

Here's a duckroll approved list of people to listen to in no particular order:

Instro
Jexhius
hosannainexcelsis
Articalys
Mad Pierrot
Lafiel
Dresden

oh. my. god.

even after all those things you made me do for you

just using me and throwing me away like yesterdays garbage.... :(

Animegaf is going to be carved up into Duckrollandia and Hitokageny.

All we can do now is hope we pick the winning side.

i still can't tell if hito is a brony or a phony, so i'm staying well clear of him until i can actually read his true intentions.

he is the only one who can save us now.

i trust him with my life.

Steins;Gate - 22

This is one of the greatest works of art I've ever seen. And there's two more episodes?!?!? I don't know if my body can take it. It's not ready!

Jex

Tari Tari 1

liking (most) of the cast. Am a bit confused which dark hair girl is which, but I assume this stuff will be sorted out after a few more eps. Will be watching.

It wasn't quite Infinite Ryvius levels of same-face character designs but it was pretty bad. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who had this issue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I'm gonna sulk in a corner and cry as I'm the only one who likes Hyouka... ;_;
I've changed my mind and now I'm all in on Hyouka... but that picture is from OreImo.

Tamayura ~hitotose~ 5.5

Usually these BD/DVD only eps are just an afterthought or where they dump a boatload of trashy fanservice but fortunately this wasn't the case for this episode as it was easily one of the strongest episodes yet of Tamayura ~hitotose~. The way in which everything came together for the final scene where
Fuu looked at her fathers blurry, undeveloped photo's only to be immediately with a cut to the ED but with a mix of Fuu and her father's blurry photos replacing what was usually displayed before
was masterfully done and I'd be lying if I said it didn't bring a tear to my eye.

Now the painful wait for season 2 begins anew. :(
It's very similar to the Aria Origination "5.5" episode in that it's an episode that fits into the continuity seamlessly, but you can still watch it on its own. SatoJun with the love!

Darn, kimi to boku deserved better, it was such a good anime, almost everything I wanted from slice of life.
I think this was expected though. Heck, I'm still amazed that they gave it 2 cours.

Jex

Unless you're willing to provide numbers for example of how large each respective fanbase is and its correlation to the number of doujins released, it only represents how minuscule the fanbase for each respective Shaft show is and how big the fanbase of K-On actually is (popularity really) but in no way does it credibly attribute those "type" of fans in each of those fanbases.

I would love to see these figures. Something like BD sales crossed over with the number of doujins produced.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tari Tari 01
This episode does a number of things right. It establishes its setting quickly and thoroughly, erring so far on the side of extrapolating its world that it might drift into being overly elaborate at times. The characters are also decently likeable, and distinctive without falling completely into rote personality traits. While it wasn't an episode I would consider unenjoyable, the show just seems to lack punch. Scenes don't carry much tone and the characters fail to create a presence on screen.

Maybe it's just the choir component, which isn't usually something I'm a fan of, but Tari Tari winds up feeling like a very dry network television show that tries to appeal to everyone without really having much voice of its own.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would love to see these figures. Something like BD sales crossed over with the number of doujins produced.
Doesn't someone do the thing where they go through the comiket catalog and find out how many doujin there are of each franchise? I seem to remember that being a thing any way.

Jex

Doesn't someone do the thing where they go through the comiket catalog and find out how many doujin there are of each franchise? I seem to remember that being a thing any way.

Without links to specific examples your hazy recollections are useless!

the ratio would be

K-On! - 19,71 BD/DVDs for each doujin
Madoka - 29,01 BD/DVDs for each doujin
Haruhi - 10,69
-monogatari - 131,56
(higher means less dirty)

source: write a PM

Jex

the ratio would be

K-On! - 19,71 BD/DVDs for each doujin
Madoka - 29,01 BD/DVDs for each doujin
Haruhi - 10,69
-monogatari - 131,56
(higher means less dirty)

source: write a PM

Of course, with a really mainstream title like K-On! BD/DVD sales aren't really a good indication of the size of the fanbase - they probably aren't all hardcore otaku buying every release unlike the -monogatari fandom. One has to remember that, considering the insane prices of Japanese physical media, only the crazies actually purchase this stuff.

It would probably be useful to combine other metrics, such as movie tickets and merchandise sales. I don't know of any systematic way of estimating fandom sizes based on such information so I won't even bother.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if Japan has started doing DVR ratings now. DVR + the standard TV ratings probably is the better measure, since for free, there's very little investment required beyond knowing when a show airs.

There is a lot less Bakemonogatari doujinshi than I thought there would be. At least going by this one database. I guess not too many people want Araragi's leftovers.

Jex

I suppose that I should consider myself lucky that I don't know who Daryl or any of these other bitter humorless Colony Drop people are. My only real impression comes from their "WE ARE THE LAST THING STANDING BETWEEN TRUE OTAKUISM AND OBLIVION" circlejerk tumblr, and as they've shown willingness to repeatedly and knowingly take AnimeGAF quotes out of context to suit their purposes, go kick his ass if you see him. No, really!

Before we go down the well trodden path (both on the internet and in real life) of 'Us vs Them' perhaps a little bit of context would be appropriate.

Daryl Surat is one of the three hosts of the AWO podcast which I always listen to. He also contributes to the Otaku USA magazine. He's extremely knowledgeable, perhaps dangerously knowledgeable, about anime and unusually for the podcasting world he's eloquent as well. Not in an NPR fashion though. He isn't really bitter or humourless. I really enjoy his approach to reviewing anime. I doubt he's ever read through any of this thread because he's busy enough frequenting the ANN forums.

Colony Drop is an anime blog which features aritcles from a number of contributors. It has a voice, I suppose, but it's pretty loose. Some of the writers have a very distinct 'crankly old man' style which, in my opinion, is a combination of genuine disenchantment with anime and playing up a certain persona to get a rise out of people. I feel it's a bit more of the later than the former. I tend to enjoy what they put out on their written blog, even when it's a little 'shouty'. It can even be pretty neutral from time to time.

As for the issue of quoting AnimeGAF users out of context - Shit Otaku Say is driven by submissions. If people from NeoGAF would stop submitting stuff to them they wouldn't have anything to quote! I can't really fault them for not reading an entire seasonal thread to discover that someone was joking.

Steins;Gate - END

That. Was. Fucking. AWESOME.

I'm still in awe at how perfectly that all came together, and it was so solid all the way through (minus a slow start). But oh boy, once it grabs you by the balls, it does not let go.

10/10

Steins;Gate - END

That. Was. Fucking. AWESOME.

I'm still in awe at how perfectly that all came together, and it was so solid all the way through (minus a slow start). But oh boy, once it grabs you by the balls, it does not let go.

10/10

Thats mighty high, I dont know, more time for stuff post ep 22 would have been nice or just ending it there.

Must be super hyped for Robotics Notes, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom