• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I dunno, even Nichijou doesn't fill me with suicidal despair the way Kill Me Baby & Angel Beats do.
It was really hit and miss, but it had its moments.

What I'm learning from posters is that apparent slice of life needs comedy to be good. I'm so confused.

JC Staff adapted Milky Holmes, which was originally a radio drama and had a male protagonist with the usual harem antics, and turned it into a pure comedy show.

There are liberties to be taken.
You should admire KyoAni shows for what they do, not create negativity for what they don't do. I could find things I want in every good show every made, but instead I take what is given to me and judge it based on that.

jbug617

Banned
Tari Tari 5

Sawa has some gif potential early in the episode. Episode was more about Wakana and I really don't understand anything she does.
It's like she is fighting her mother memory at every step. You can see through the flashbacks she was a serious child and her mother carefree attitude pisses her off. She is going to regret getting rid of the piano

wonzo

Banned
rkbshirt2.jpg

yet more sick and depraved rkb merch

Saint Seiya Omega 18
tumblr_m8b3gfcAF01r1n5pqo1_500.gif

One of the top tier episodes of Omega so far. Was really disappointed in Sonia though. She actually is the second leading female character on the anime, before this episode but now, well definitely on Yunas level. (The Athena with them is the best female character)
She actually had good techinques and what not but to just forgo it all and instead try to rely on using Souma's rage against him, why?! Oh well at least it showed that even powered up he has such intense skills and powers, cant wait to see him later on, and if he doesnt stay away too long. Was really distressed there at the end when he was like, Ill follower her, and they were like all sad, and I was like no dont go, and he went on ahead.

Cwarrior

Isn't this kind of the universal dream of One Piece fans? I would have rather had that than even Strong World.

Something like that would never happen why cause it makes too much sense and would be too incredible.

Marine ford is going to be the ff7 of one piece.

Oh hey, new commercial for the upcoming One Piece special: Episode of Nami. Seeing the Arlong arc recreated in the glorious modern art style and without some of the fluff is going to be fantastic.

Looks really nice, I don't remember that boat scene is that new??

what do you mean by fluff? I don't think alrong park arc even had fluff.

Firemind

You should admire KyoAni shows for what they do, not what they don't do. I could find things I want in every good show every made, but instead I take what is given to me and judge it based on that.

Which is that their adaptions are boring! Do you see where I'm getting at?

Literary (or non-literary) sources shouldn't be adapted word for word. There are some things that can't be translated as well on screen as on a piece of paper.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Which is that their adaptions are boring! Do you see where I'm getting at?

Literary (or non-literary) sources shouldn't be adapted word for word. There are some things that can't be translated as well on screen as on a piece of paper.
Uh, K-ON is vastly different from it's source material.

The quality of KyoAni's work on screen is indisputable. You're just bothered that they are not making things the way you want them and trying to diminish the quality of their shows.

Jarmel

Banned
The quality of KyoAni's work on screen is indisputable. You're just bothered that they are not making things the way you want them and trying to diminish the quality of their shows.

Lol no. I doubt anyone would question their animation abilities but really that's it.

Hyouka 16

qOlRr.gif

Boo, why isn't it the next episode yet?

Damn, getting really interested in where this case will go. Of course, the show still looks wonderful, I like the nice little touches in the background that's going on.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Lol no. I doubt anyone would question their animation abilities but really that's it.
It's not just animation though; their direction-work is impeccable whether you like the material they are working with or not.

trejo

No one in their right mind can deny that KyoAni is an insanely talented animation studio. The problem for some of us lies in the material that they adapt.

survivor

Banned
KyoAni is an amazing studio. When they can take something as dull as Hyouka and make it entertaining and fun to watch, then you know they are extremely talented.

Narag

Kotetsu Jeeg 5

Something of a comedic departure as while the usual Great Jama Kingdom stuff is going on, Don and Pancho build their own robot from shit they found around a junkyard and addresss the audience directly during its presentation. It's called Mecha-Don and more or less the equivalent of Mazinger Z's Boss Borot.

There's also something cool in there about a magnetic storm hitting the Earth and interfering with Jeeg's abilities but it's more or less an excuse to give Mecha-Don some spotlight against a Haniwa Phantom.

MPMAil.png

ipbGRl.png

I have no idea why they gave him a hat.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not just animation though; their direction-work is impeccable whether you like the material they are working with or not.

No because most of their works I think most people would argue have pacing problems. The last noteworthy thing they did directing-wise is probably the original Haruhi series, which was brilliant. Hyouka, K-On, Clannad, and Lucky Star had serious pacing issues. They squeak by because of their raw animation talent and detail, otherwise I doubt anyone would give a shit most of the work they do.

KyoAni is an amazing studio. When they can take something as dull as Hyouka and make it entertaining and fun to watch, then you know they are extremely talented.

If you took away the animation detail from Hyouka, who would be watching and for what reason? Definitely not the music, story, characters, relationships, or mysteries(which are pretty much non-existent). The only episode I would say that is noteworthy other than the animation is probably episode 11 because there was some development and reaction on the part of Oreki.

Articalys

Tari Tari 6

MAXIMUM FEELS MODE

ipKy8.jpg

Really, it's just way too unfair when you've got Sayaka Ohara voicing Wakana's mom.

Glorious ending song as well.

Soma

I don't think I consider myself a Kyoani fan but they've made two shows that I've loved (Hyouka and Nichijou) so they're good in my book.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you took away the animation detail from Hyouka, who would be watching and for what reason? Definitely not the music, story, characters, relationships, or mysteries(which are pretty much non-existent). The only episode I would say that is noteworthy other than the animation is probably episode 11 because there was some development and reaction on the part of Oreki.
You can't take away the animation detail, it's part of the show. It's dishonest arguing.

Lurky

I know i really shouldn't, but i have an extreme bias against KyoAni and never really give any of their shows a chance. The only exception was nichijou which i didn't like.

Jarmel

Banned
You can't take away the animation detail, it's part of the show. It's dishonest arguing.

That's all they're good at though. If you want to say they're a good studio for reasons other than animation then you have to detail why they're exceptional in something other than animation. Why is the show good if you took away the animation quality?

I could make a great argument for why Uncharted is an exceptional game if you took away the graphics.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's all they're good at though. If you want to say they're a good studio for reasons other than animation then you have to detail why they're exceptional in something other than animation.
I find their direction and general visual storytelling quality to be fantastic when they're on top of their game.

I could make a great argument for why Uncharted is an exceptional game if you took away the graphics.
I doubt that. Unrelated, regardless.

Looks really nice, I don't remember that boat scene is that new??

what do you mean by fluff? I don't think alrong park arc even had fluff.

It didn't have much in any 1 particular scene, but it could still use some trimming here and there. Cutting it down to a 2 hour TV special is definitely beneficial (unless they fuck it up like they did the Alabasta movie).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
That's all they're good at though. If you want to say they're a good studio for reasons other than animation then you have to detail why they're exceptional in something other than animation. Why is the show good if you took away the animation quality?

Their attention to quality direction is currently unmatched in the industry. That's the main thing I love about their work.

Jarmel

Banned
I find their direction and general visual storytelling quality to be fantastic when they're on top of their game.

The only two episodes I would say that had noteworthy visual direction is the 4th and 5th episodes(there was the vine scene in the first episode as well which was great symbology). So in the other episodes, what was exceptional about the directing?

Uncharted is barely a game though.

You could say that about 3 but you definitely can't say that about 1 or 2 without hating the entire industry as a whole. Even then different developers excel at different things.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You could say that about 3 but you definitely can't say that about 1 or 2 without hating the entire industry as a whole. Even then different studios excel at different things.
I do hate the industry as a whole in it's current state :/

Autogames for babbys that pander to the player's vanity. Bad.

wonzo

Banned
KyoAni > *

I can't help but wonder who would wear that in public.
rkbfan.jpg

Just wait until you find out what Ash Roller looks like in real life (The Motorcycle dude)

Spoilers for those that want to know now: http://i.imgur.com/bmfhh.jpg
aaaahhhhahhahahahaaahhahahhahahahahahahaa

this fucking series

but that's really all it has going for it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That was a fiasco that still pisses me off. It's mindblowing how someone thought that was a good idea.
Endless Eight is still probably the most exciting and interesting thing I've seen in my short career as a contemporary anime watcher though.

The writing is extremely strong. As a character piece, I'm actually invested or at least interested in what happens to the main character. I can only say that for a handful of anime this year.

Uchip

Banned
What I'm learning from posters is that apparent slice of life needs comedy to be good. I'm so confused.

humour is part of life
slice of life doesnt live up to its namesake without it
anime that takes itself too seriously ends up just being boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom