• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Joshiraku 01
Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. It's essentially about nothing. Hell even Hyouka seems to have more going on than this show and I don't like Hyouka. The big difference though I think is the character's and their voice actresses make the whole thing so enjoyable. Love the characters!
No girls ranking? Come on man

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is that a bad thing? I could understand if they made you watch the prequels.

It's not bad. It's just a habit where I do things and I don't really get around to doing things that people tell me. So they make me block out a weekend and we marathon stuff. lol.

This was the first time I actually closely watched the ending animation of Hyouka. It was pretty good and chuckle inducing when Fukube and Houtaro escaped the shackles and the songs chorus moment is quite catchy. They should consider giving it an ova.

Hyouka 16
tumblr_m8b5m4uuot1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Fukube Houtarou adult topic discussion on the rooftop was my favorite part.
Fukube quickly getting a hold of his emotions and keeping them in check as well as not harboring any negative feelings at the end there was really well done. Ultimately, I wish he would have been able to have more of a successful role in this case, but at least he is Houtarous confidant and that alright with me.

Getting tired of people treating Ibara so bad, though for the love of manga, I guess I can relate to her and staying in the presence of others who likes the things she likes even if some do treat her not in the best way.

Mystery wise
with the manga in hand and the club president, I guess Ibara will finally have a chance to show the others in her society the manga as well as hopefully see what else they did. Im all aligned with Fukube on ideas for the mystery, I dont even have any speculation on what the solution is or even the motive :/

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
No girls ranking? Come on man

Red > Yellow > Green > Orange > Purple (or whatever color the depressed one is).

I like all of them though, so it's hard to rank them. Plus I've only seen the first episode so it's subject to change.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This was the first time I actually closely watched the ending animation of Hyouka. It was pretty good and chuckle inducing when Fukube and Houtaro escaped the shackles and the songs chorus moment is quite catchy. They should consider giving it an ova.

Hyouka 16
tumblr_m8b5m4uuot1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Fukube Houtarou adult topic discussion on the rooftop was my favorite part.
Fukube quickly getting a hold of his emotions and keeping them in check as well as not harboring any negative feelings at the end there was really well done. Ultimately, I wish he would have been able to have more of a successful role in this case, but at least he is Houtarous confidant and that alright with me.

Getting tired of people treating Ibara so bad, though for the love of manga, I guess I can relate to her and staying in the presence of others who likes the things she likes even if some do treat her not in the best way.

Mystery wise
with the manga in hand and the club president, I guess Ibara will finally have a chance to show the others in her society the manga as well as hopefully see what else they did. Im all aligned with Fukube on ideas for the mystery, I dont even have any speculation on what the solution is or even the motive :/

Honestly I have 2-3 guesses on the culprit's motive and who the culprit is. What I want to know is the methodology of these hijinks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
T2 is a masterpiece, aliens is good but in no way is it a masterpiece imo.
It is probably the template for modern action movies, and its impact on all science fiction works is monumental. Aliens also shows up regularly in Film Crit classes to be examined on a technical level.

wonzo

Banned
SSO 18

Finally, a great episode full of shonen haato and sakuga. Shit owned.

Seriously? Even then you could say a large amount is in self-defense.
Sorry but I don't think you could call the death and destruction Nathan Drakes inflicts on such a wide scale to be self-defence by any stretch of the word. Furthermore, I really don't see what this has to do with Anime or the fact that KyoAni's the best studio™ currently out there.

Narag

Daitarn 3 8

Episode played it straight again but at least it was really mostly well done aside from thee Meganoid commander
who was in love with a guy that was in love with a girl that's currently in love with Banjo or some shit. She gave herself over for power. Didn't help she wore an amulet with a dog's bone in it because she missed her dog and said guy found it creepy as shit and contributed to her being jilted.
smbFB.png
zCuhVl.png

This is a normal sized car. She looks like she's standing in the first shot.

2ABeQl.png
hgfi7l.png

pZP39l.png
GNm3pl.png

ogIEpl.png

What really stood out to me was the art being a little different this time around. Lots of speedlines and hatching/crosshatching for shading gave the main fight a feeling like I was looking at comic panels.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well it was interesting I'll give it that. Not many studios would be stupid enough to just repeat the same episode 8 times.

It's a horrible character piece. We haven't really delved into the mindsets of any of the other characters for the most part. The closest we got was Oreki in episode 11. That's eleven episodes in. Even then there was absolutely no follow-through. It's relatively shallow for the most part. We might get something from Satoshi at the end of the arc. Hopefully.
Like almost all live TV, Endless Eight loses its meaning after the fact. When it was happening, it was grand.

Also, please watch 11.5. That's the proper conclusion to the arc and
pretty much confirms that Oreki's sister is the driving force behind the entire series.
The fact that the episode was a KyoAni original gives me even more confidence that there are people at KyoAni who know exactly what the fuck they're doing.

The film arc itself also justifies the mostly pointless episodes that came before it, because all those episodes were setting up expectations for both the audience and Oreki that Oreki is some kind of young detective genius when he is nothing of the sort.

In lieu of having a real shitty child detective story (no thanks) and the fact that anime will never feature adults doing adult things like solve murders ala Sherlock or diagnose patients ala House, transplanting that very specific archetype to high school works fine for me.

Oh man. That's sad, bro.
People are too afraid to play with the medium now. Hell, the last successful high concept idea on TV was 24.

cajunator

Banned
Something like that would never happen why cause it makes too much sense and would be too incredible.

Marine ford is going to be the ff7 of one piece.

Looks really nice, I don't remember that boat scene is that new??

what do you mean by fluff? I don't think alrong park arc even had fluff.

You should keep that avatar.

Here's a cool promo art.

xDS8m.jpg

Nice!

Kuroyukihime in professor meganekko mode

UeJJn.jpg

All your HNNNNNG's are mine

:Trojita

REALLY nice.

Nunnally in Wonderland

Completely satisfied.

That was like double orgasm, after the orgasm that was Code Geass.

where do I sign up?

Jarmel

Banned
Sorry but I don't think you could call the death and destruction Nathan Drakes inflicts on such a wide scale to be self-defence by any stretch of the word. Furthermore, I really don't see what this has to do with Anime or the fact that KyoAni's the best studio™ currently out there.

You could walk straight into the enemies and not fire a bullet and they will kill you. Not to mention he's in a warzone most of the time. Anyway my point had to do with how even games that are attributed primarily with graphics, I could make an argument that they had exceptional points even excluding the graphics. I haven't really heard a similar argument as to why KyoAni is noteworthy excluding animation quality.

Like almost all live TV, Endless Eight loses its meaning after the fact. When it was happening, it was grand.

I was there when Endless Eight was airing too and it was garbage then as well. It deserved all the criticism and hate it got.
Also, please watch 11.5. That's the proper conclusion to the arc and
pretty much confirms that Oreki's sister is the driving force behind the entire series.
The fact that the episode was a KyoAni original gives me even more confidence that there are people at KyoAni who know exactly what the fuck they're doing.

The film arc itself also justifies the mostly pointless episodes that came before it, because all those episodes were setting up expectations for both the audience and Oreki that Oreki is some kind of young detective genius when he is nothing of the sort.

What does that have to do with anything? The arc was primarily about building up Oreki's self-esteem then promptly knocking it back down again.

Also yes, he's still is a genius even if he got that one case wrong. He figured it out even when there wasn't an answer to be found.

The film arc is only justifiable because of Oreki's self-esteem issues and the show sorta addressing that. Otherwise it would have been another shitty mystery arc where they build it up to be something grand and is instead so mundane, it's mindblowing.

In lieu of having a real shitty child detective story (no thanks) and the fact that anime will never feature adults doing adult things like solve murders ala Sherlock or diagnose patients ala House, transplanting that very specific archetype to high school works fine for me.

The show is extremely good at being anticlimatic to the point of actually being impressive. They take things that could have been interesting on their own, such as the film, and making it amazingly pedestrian.

cajunator

Banned
You could walk straight into the enemies and not fire a bullet and they will kill you. Not to mention he's in a warzone most of the time. Anyway my point had to do with how even games that are attributed primarily with graphics, I could make an argument that they had exceptional points even excluding the graphics. I haven't really heard a similar argument as to why KyoAni is noteworthy excluding animation quality.

Cute character designs and background work is excellent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why are people talking about Uncharted anyway?

Uchip

Banned
Because animation quality is far more important in Anime than the graphics in a game are.

too true
old school 60s black and white animation often still looks better just because of how fluid it is
just like how old school videogames can be more fun than crysis, or something

re reading this im not entirely sure what I just said

Crystal Skull exists. Sad but true.

Back on topic. You really need to put content warnings in your episode reviews GAF. I started Hagure Yuusha no Estetica during my break at work. Good reviews here, interesting synopsis, give it a go. Good thing my computer is facing the way it is. Damn them some big old animated breasteses!

cajunator

Banned
Crystal Skull exists. Sad but true.

Back on topic. You really need to put content warnings in your episode reviews GAF. I started Hagure Yuusha no Estetica during my break at work. Good reviews here, interesting synopsis, give it a go. Good thing my computer is facing the way it is. Damn them some big old animated breasteses!

I think you just sounded the :Chet alarm.

Hey Jarmel, did you know that E7 was mostly a mediocre to average show with some really awful characters that really overstayed it's welcome at 50 episodes, which was only partly redeemed by a surprisingly strong ending?

Mawaru-Penguindrum 20:

I'm still trying to figure out what the Child Broiler actually is. In a show which blends reality and fantasy so seamlessly that you can't tell what is real and what isn't, it's hard to guess. Visually, it's almost a direct lift of the famous scene from Pink Floyd The Wall and the usage is nearly identical in terms of the metaphor. 4 episodes left.

wonzo

Banned
That's extremely debatable however ignoring that again why is Kyoto noteworthy other than animation?
The problem is you simply can't take away the animation quality from a medium entirely built around animation itself. This is an incredibly stupid argument you're trying to make and I honestly don't know why you're trying to pursue it in the first place.

wonzo

Banned
Trying to remove the animation from anime is like trying to remove interactivity from a game. Incredibly stupid by completely missing the point of said medium in the first place.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Trying to remove the animation from anime is like trying to remove interactivity from a game. Incredibly stupid by completely missing the point of said medium in the first place.
Well, he's defending Uncharted, so that doesn't sound like a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom