• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Just curious: do you believe that something can strictly follow a formula without being formulaic per se? I find that I have a very high tolerance for works that are entirely episodic in nature compared to many here, and I'm interested in what others would point to if asked for an example of an episodic or very formula-driven show that actually works. I fully accept that Casshern Sins addresses the same theme each episode, but the individual vignettes were by no means similar enough to each other as to be rehashed or redundant.

Well, yes, because 'following a formula' can mean any number of things, you could have a formula that's vague enough to allow for quite a bit of repetition.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with shows that follow a formula, I judge each show on it's own merits regardless of it's structure.

sleepykyo

Muv-Luv Total Eclipse 6-

So how did we end up going from people getting their faces chewed off to beach hijinks? I mean I know this was based off an ero VN but come on. Those first two episodes were entirely misleading. I mean there seriously feels like a strong disconnect.

Calm before the storm. He looks way too happy. He is so dead in episode 7. It's like
the sarge that won a kiss from Tessa in FMP or the the guy that told the paradox in TSR
. Once a bit character gets their 15 minutes, they're already dead.

Calm before the storm. He looks way too happy. He is so dead in episode 7. It's like
the sarge that won a kiss from Tessa in FMP or the the guy that told the paradox in TSR
. Once a bit character gets their 15 minutes, they're already dead.
That didn't actually happen though! He was daydreaming about what could have been.

Macaroni-kun isn't Chobi-tier, but I want him to live, too. :(

Jex

Chitose Get You! 6

chitose6.jpg

Recorder and Randsel was funnier than this

Damn, that's a low blow.

Articalys

Aikatsu! Idol Card TV Anime's Cast, Staff Announced
Sunrise announced the cast and staff for its anime adaptation of Bandai's Aikatsu! idol card game on Friday. Ryuichi Kimura, an assistant director on Natsuiro Kiseki and Hanamaru Kindergarten, is directing the anime, while the director on those two projects, Seiji Mizushima (Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Fullmetal Alchemist, Un-Go), is "supervising" the new production. Yoichi Kato (Miracle Train - Ōedo-sen e Yōkoso) is in charge of the scripts, and Hiroko Yaguchi (Un-Go) is designing the characters.

The cast includes Sumire Morohoshi (Fullmetal Alchemist's Nina Tucker, Princess Jellyfish's Kurara, Final Fantasy XIII-2's Moogle) as the heroine Ichigo Hoshimiya, Azusa Tadokoro (HoriPro's first voice actress contest winner) as Ichigo's close childhood friend Aoi Kiriya, Ayaka Ohashi (Eureka 7: Astral Ocean's Fleur Blanc, HoriPro contest finalist) as Ichigo's classmater Ran Shibuki, and Minako Kotobuki (K-ON!'s Tsumugi) as the current top idol Mitsuki Kanzaki. The company monaca is producing the music.
B1Zuw.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If this turns out to be some Yu-gi-oh Idol Version I would be down.

Multiple Un-Go staff on a card battling show for girls. How can this not end up as something, well, very special?

I suddenly feel the need to watch some Miracle Train. For science.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You seem to beat yourself up a bit over this. Don't.

Seriously, Tomat, you reached thread regular status a long time ago. Anything that you have to say about anything holds no less weight than anyone else's input. Have a little more confidence in yourself and you'll enjoy this experience a whole lot more.

e.jpg

Mawaru-Penguindrum

So this is what watching a modern-day fairy tale is like.

This show didn't make a whole lot of literal sense. I don't think that was really the point though. I still don't know if what happened really counts as a cohesive story in the traditional sense either. The show sometimes gets a bit lost in it's symbolism, so much so that at some point in the narrative what is and isn't real co-mingle to the point where one cannot be separated from the other. Despite this, I don't believe that the show is meant to be taken entirely metaphorically, as the ending is conclusive in implying that everything which seemed to happen, surreal or not, actually did happen.

I could write a very long post about the various themes and motifs which weave their way through the show, but that would require hours of effort on my part and I haven't really sorted a lot of it out in my head yet. I do want to comment more on the show later on though. I am impressed by how relentlessly dark the overall feeling of the show was, everybody in this show was abandoned or abused by their parents. Nevertheless the ending was an optimistic one, contrasting with the nihilistic world of most of the rest of the show. That's all I think I want to say for now.

I really liked Mawaru-Penguindrum. Free of the mindbreaking repetition which was so characteristic of Utena, Penguindrum was able to explore a richer and more rewarding non-linear method of narrative. Repetition in this case was used effectively when it appeared, which was sparingly except very early in the show's run. I never felt like I was slogging through the show while watching it.

I think for a short review, this will do. So I'll stop here.

Mawaru-Penguindrum
"I heard you like stalkers, so I gave your stalker a stalker, so you can be stalked while stalking."
Final Rating: 10 out of 10 Cute Psycho Stalker Chicks

so this is what you consider a masterpiece, then?

Nope. My ratings are based on how I felt about something at the end of watching it. I don't pretend there can be an absolute rating scale of any kind, nor do I waste time trying to rank every piece of mass media I've ever consumed on some absolute scale. This is why I rate from 1 to 10 in Arbitrary Scale Units. In this case the arbitrary scale unit was Cute Psycho Stalker Chicks, a unit which cannot be applied to any other show I may or may not rate in the future!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nope. My ratings are based on how I felt about something at the end of watching it. I don't pretend there can be an absolute rating scale of any kind, nor do I waste time trying to rank every piece of mass media I've ever consumed on some absolute scale. This is why I rate from 1 to 10 in Arbitrary Scale Units. In this case the arbitrary scale unit was Cute Psycho Stalker Chicks, a unit which cannot be applied to any other show I may or may not rate in the future!
Mirai Nikki... School Days?

duckroll

Hyouka - Episode 16

This arc is really good stuff. I think this penultimate (?) episode in the arc really highlights how strong the direction and narrative has been. The character dynamics and the nature of the mystery was handled really well here, with the individual elements building up across multiple episodes instead of being presented as a matter of fact.

Having each episode stand on its own with various festival activities which are fun to watch, and weaving the overall narrative arc into such activities seamlessly, it really makes the entire presentation much more enjoyable. It doesn't hurt one bit that the art and mannerisms in this arc are a cut above the norm too. Kyoto Animation is really knocking this out of the park.

Also, I can't wait until they start selling the merchandising from this arc. I bet they'll have a reproduction of the Festival Guide on sale eventually, and maybe even this doujin at a future Comiket:

zWI9A.jpg

I've been meaning to finish Mirai Nikki at some point. I'm sure I will finish it eventually, possibly during this season.

I give School Days a rating of -9999 out of 10 Cute Psycho Stalker Chicks.

Deadman Wonderland? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? About a bazillion manga (yeah, I know you don't read manga generally)?

Uchip

Banned

unless cute stalker chick unit has a value we don't actually know what you thought of it

unless cute stalker chick unit has a value we don't actually know what you thought of it

You would know exactly what I thought if it, had you actually read the post.

Deadman Wonderland? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? About a bazillion manga (yeah, I know you don't read manga generally)?

Do not attempt to create a quantifiable scale out of my arbitrary scale units. Gosh, I'm going to have to crush you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom