• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Jarmel, you know I'm one of the most vocal KyoAni non-supporters around. Drop this argument before you dig yourself down further.

cajunator

Banned
I really haven't got a problem with Kyo-Ani. They put lots of effort into every project they undertake. I think some people just detest Key and K-on and try to hang Kyo-Ani with it.

Uchip

Banned
Trying to remove the animation from anime is like trying to remove interactivity from a game. Incredibly stupid by completely missing the point of said medium in the first place.

on average, anime barely qualifies as being animated

trejo

I really haven't got a problem with Kyo-Ani. They put lots of effort into every project they undertake. I think some people just detest Key and K-on and try to hang Kyo-Ani with it.

I think it's been well established by now that you don't really have a problem with any studio whatsoever.

on average, anime barely qualifies as being animated

Damn SHAFT always bringing the averages down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tari Tari 6

So while I called the show a subtler version of Glee a while back, this episode just tried to hammer the point home with a nuclear missile. Blunt would be an understatement:

H0ZDKl.jpg

eyzySl.jpg

0bl4ml.jpg

I guess it goes to show that there really are two ways to do a "dead parent" storyline. The Tamayura way, and the way that most people do it for maximum angst/drama. Both involve crying, but the SatoJun way doesn't make me feel like he's trying to trick me into crying when he has his main characters cry on screen.

It's weird because I still like the show, despite how derpy it looks sometimes, but it's become more of an academic exercise in :firehawk than I expected. Yeah, the show opens with dead mom, but I thought it'd be a bit more clever with that plot hook.

Also, this is basically the perfect way to end the arc (spoilers, I guess): Clicky.
Again, not subtle, but there's no other way they could have ended it really.

On a side note, I got yet another singing practice flashback again:
Dem scales.

jman2050

I mean, there are certain things that they are really damn good at that need to be acknowledged, but when it comes down to it I only like two of their shows. What am I supposed to do, lie?

Erigu

[Amagami Tetris]
What?
I...I want this
Too late, unfortunately... Doesn't look like we can expect the games to be made available again either...

[Jinrui] - 6
I guess the writer of this work occasionally had some good ideas but overall they are very inconsistent, much like this series.
Apparently, the issue is more with the TV series trying to fit an entire novel in merely two episodes. This story was twice as long as the previous ones, in the novels, so a lot got cut, and it seems those familiar with the original work feel the adaptation dropped the ball, there.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem is you simply can't take away the animation quality from a medium entirely built around animation itself. This is an incredibly stupid argument you're trying to make and I honestly don't know why you're trying to pursue it in the first place.

Not entirely. While anime is a visual medium, that isn't the only component of it. Fate/Zero was exceptional because of the writing. Cowboy Bebop would have been exceptional even without the sakuga. Code Geass isn't well-liked because of the animation quality. Visuals even in anime are only one part of a production. FMA (both) have well directed moments. I haven't seen anything since the original Haruhi as being clever on the part of the studio(EE was stupid and a way to generate hype similar to the way the original Haruhi series did). Similar to American movies, the cinematography is only a part of what makes great movies, great.

Hey Jarmel, did you know that E7 was mostly a mediocre to average show with some really awful characters that really overstayed it's welcome at 50 episodes, which was only partly redeemed by a surprisingly strong ending?

The idea that E7 is mediocre is hilarious on its own. It definitely has some pacing issues particularly in the first half but if you consider it mediocre then you must watch only masterpieces of the finest order.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Not entirely. While anime is a visual medium, that isn't the only component of it. Fate/Zero was exceptional because of the writing. Cowboy Bebop would have been exceptional even without the sakuga. Code Geass isn't well-liked because of the animation quality. Visuals even in anime are only one part of a production. FMA (both) have well directed moments. I haven't seen anything since the original Haruhi as being clever on the part of the studio(EE was stupid and a way to generate hype similar to the way the original Haruhi series did).
Fate/zero was good because of the direction and visuals to back it up -- otherwise it would just be a really obnoxious and bland faux-shounen show. And you're wrong on Bebop too. Part of why Bebop is good is how good the animation expresses what the show is telling, ie animation & visual storytelling quality.

duckroll

I get the feeling that cajunator just randomly says stuff sometimes just to seem like he has opinions and to make people feel interested in talking with him about something. All his statements often feel fake, instead of something with actual invested interest.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Gosh dammit. WHY SKY RAKER?!!!

I get the feeling that cajunator just randomly says stuff sometimes just to seem like he has opinions and to make people feel interested in talking with him about something. All his statements often feel fake, instead of something with actual invested interest.

Are you being serious or are you just saying it troll cajun? lol, i can't tell.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/zero was good because of the direction and visuals to back it up and you're wrong on Bebop too. Part of why Bebop is good is how good the animation expresses what the show is telling, ie animation & visual storytelling quality.

Fate/Zero's visuals while good, aren't what makes it so great. It's the deconstruction of the characters and their mindsets. Not to mention the balancing act of having an ensemble cast and trying to flesh out all the characters. It's the writing. Bebop's symbology, use of music, the dialogue, and the development of the characters is what makes it great. Bebop also had exceptional directing in that there was a layer of tragedy underneath the entire work and the show doesn't drown on it. Watanabe did a great job maintaining the tone of the show.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Joule

Tari Tari 6
I guess it goes to show that there really are two ways to do a "dead parent" storyline. The Tamayura way, and the way that most people do it for maximum angst/drama. Both involve crying, but the SatoJun way doesn't make me feel like he's trying to trick me into crying when he has his main characters cry on screen.
At least it isn't full on dorama in Tari Tari.

I thought the park scene with Wakana's parents is perhaps the most visually appealing scene in the series atm for me. Dat foliage. Autumn style :firehawk

The idea that E7 is mediocre is hilarious on its own. It definitely has some pacing issues particularly in the first half but if you consider it mediocre then you must watch only masterpieces of the finest order.

Hardly. Because E7 is nowhere near being a masterpiece. I wouldn't even go so far as to call it good. It's average. Sometimes it has above average moments, sometimes it has some really bad moments. I'm more than happy to stand in opposition to the hipsters on this opinion. E7 has many more flaws than any KyoAni production could ever imagine having, if for no other reason that KyoAni shows never reach the levels of ambition E7 did but also mostly succeed in their more modest goals, whereas E7 is full of failures at every level of storytelling, pacing, characters, and ultimately it only succeeds at ending pretty well.

Mawaru-Penguindrum 21:

We're reaching some seriously 12 Monkeys levels of everything here. Everything which previously happened in this show is shown to have been a lie so far. Fuck it, I'm marathoning this until the last episode. I need to see how this one ends.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I do this too but it never works.

Actually I can't tell if I do this too. I think I just post too much and a lot of what I say doesn't really add to the discussion or is something you can't really respond to.

Man I wish my post count wasn't so high.

how witty (but also wrong)
Terminator 2? Maybe. Aliens? Not really.
It is probably the template for modern action movies, and its impact on all science fiction works is monumental. Aliens also shows up regularly in Film Crit classes to be examined on a technical level.
I can buy that, but as a complete package I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.
Well the whole last ten pages of this thread are phoenixwright.gif material but for her own sanity she'd be better off not reading them probably.
I glanced over them earlier. Not worth it.

Jarmel

Banned
Hardly. Because E7 is nowhere near being a masterpiece. I wouldn't even go so far as to call it good. It's average. Sometimes it has above average moments, sometimes it has some really bad moments. I'm more than happy to stand in opposition to the hipsters on this opinion. E7 has many more flaws than any KyoAni production could ever imagine having, if for no other reason that KyoAni shows never reach the levels of ambition E7 did but also mostly succeed in their more modest goals, whereas E7 is full of failures at every level of storytelling, pacing, characters, and ultimately it only succeeds at ending pretty well.

E7 definitely has a failure of pacing however I completely disagree in regards to the storytelling and especially the characters. The show did a great job developing not only the characters but also their relationships with each other. It's a growing up story at heart, and the show really nails that. E7 also did a fantastic job world-building compared to the failure in Xam'd and the world itself is extremely unique and exciting at the same time. Xam'd tried to do what E7 did and failed miserably on pretty much every level except the father/mother romance rekindling. Again even E7's lows aren't horrible and the highs are definitely soaring. Morning Glory, Helter Skelter, and Paper Moon are all outstanding episodes by any standard. If you're calling E7 average, what shows are you comparing it to?

Uchip

Banned
Fate/Zero's visuals while good, aren't what makes it so great.

I don't know about you, but the detail in the action scenes is what made the show for me hands down.

Unfortunately for you, you're in the minority here.

Narag

Glass Fleet 12

Evidently Cleo is the only person in the galaxy to understand three dimensional tactics. That ending was some shit though despite the beautiful dialogue.

dEfJq.png

I had no idea Cleo could do this.
gz8Wyl.png

Can't have a space opera without amazing serviceable subpar space battles.

dhJpBl.png

It's ok though because that's not the series' strong point. Vetti fuckin' Sforza and his limitless swag is.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh forgot to get around to this

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1-3

Why did you guys lie and say this was good? This was probably the worst series I've seen this year. This had the laziest setup I've seen in awhile and the characters really are flat. Why would anyone think this was good for reasons other than the character designs?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1-3

Why did you guys lie and say this was good? This was probably the worst series I've seen this year. This had the laziest setup I've seen in awhile and the characters really are flat. Why would anyone think this was good for reasons other than the character designs?

But I had some fun watching it. The setup is lazy, but some of the characters alright. Nobuna herself is the best save for the typical tsundere stuff (not that I mind, but I've seen it before).

Could just be me having never seen a show like this before (shows you how long I've been watching anime), but the MC having prior knowledge of all the stuff going on is a bit of a neat twist.

Narag

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1-3

It's not really good but better than it should be.

Ultimadrago

Glass Fleet 12

Evidently Cleo is the only person in the galaxy to understand three dimensional tactics. That ending was some shit though despite the beautiful dialogue.

Are you watching the dub? If so, how goes it?

(I've heard that it must be watched in dub)

Jarmel

Banned
The character designs in Oda Nobuna are mostly horrible...

I was throwing a bone to the crowd that likes the kids young...

I also do kinda like the design of Nobuna herself as it reminds me of Dany from GOT(in that the whole shoulders exposed and Dany being exposed in Qarth).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At least it isn't full on dorama in Tari Tari.

I thought the park scene with Wakana's parents is perhaps the most visually appealing scene in the series atm for me. Dat foliage. Autumn style :firehawk
Oh yes, that was a gorgeous :firehawk scene. lol

And the dead mom angst was pretty thick, for better or for worse. At least she learned her :firehawk lesson and they can move on.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1-3

It's not even close to being one of the worst shows of the season. lol
(Which says more about the season than anything else I suppose :p)

jman2050

The only thing the Glass Fleet subs have is Shota Rie. Otherwise the show must be watched in dub form.

Glass Fleet 12

Congratulations, you're almost at the point where the show becomes completely stupid and ridiculous.

You mean you thought it was there already? Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lol E7 as average? Dude, it's like you're trying to get blasted in here.

On that note, I'm gonna watch Kokoro Connect cuz I heard it's awful

Jex

Apparently, the issue is more with the TV series trying to fit an entire novel in merely two episodes. This story was twice as long as the previous ones, in the novels, so a lot got cut, and it seems those familiar with the original work feel the adaptation dropped the ball, there.

Well, obviously, I have no idea how the original story played out but it wouldn't surprise me if it was poorly translated from novel to anime. The way the episode just lurches from event to event without any rhythm or logic is extremely noticeable.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
E7 is anything but average. Sure it's not the greatest thing in the world but to call it average? That's almost insulting.

That's kind of the point of expressing dislike of something, though. I don't want to inflame this debate unnecessarily, though, so I'm going to avoid the subject now.

I remember Evilore doing that poll of top twenty anime for GAF and E7 was on there. That said I'm not sure how much Gaming GAF had a say compared to Anime-heavy/exclusive GAF.

Yeah, E7 is much more heavily favored by more casual/mainstream anime fans than extremely serious fans. A while back I actually compiled my own list of AnimeGAF's top ten anime of 2011 by going through the old voting thread and only counting the votes of people who participate here as an experiment to see if our opinions differed wildly from that of the GAF anime-watching community at large, I should try to find the results. They're pretty interesting.

Joule

Oh yes, that was a gorgeous :firehawk scene. lol

And the dead mom angst was pretty thick, for better or for worse. At least she learned her :firehawk lesson and they can move on.

It's not even close to being one of the worst shows of the season. lol
(Which says more about the season than anything else I suppose :p)
Resolved in two episodes, piano was never sold! All is well.

What is the worst show, even the harem crap isn't that bad lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom