• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechkid

Guilty Crown 20

The music continues to be the best part, Mana's bitch levels are off the chart, shu looks like a war refugee, and some backstory that retroactively made the characters worse.

YKRPn.jpg

http://www.perfectchoice-pr.com/initial-d/

TIME TO RUN IN 90S ONCE AGAIN
oh yeah .... don't stop the music !!!
This is gonna be awesome ...

Oh forgot to get around to this

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1-3

Why did you guys lie and say this was good? This was probably the worst series I've seen this year. This had the laziest setup I've seen in awhile and the characters really are flat. Why would anyone think this was good for reasons other than the character designs?
lol , this is nowhere near the worst of this year ..dakara boku wa H wa dekinai exist for example ..as a simple example to counter this statement ( and numerous other anime such as shining hearts , mine fujiko and so on)
Sort of want .... i still don't know anything about it ...but idol & card are a strange mix.

oda nobuna no yabou - 05

• Man, why did Hanbei have to go from a dapper priest dude to a uguu~ loli.
  • You'd think that after all this time he'd have to change out of his school clothes. I wonder how much he smells. Perhaps it's the musk that draws in all the lolis.
  • I think Asai is a girl. That knife gives it away.
  • Oda continues to be completely useless.
  • Will keep watching.

• Not enough loli yet
  • He will change at some point, not enough battles done so far
  • that's a nice thinking ..but Asai is talking about mariage so .. who will be the dominant one ?i need to think about this.
  • I'm hoping she would get a moment to shine as soon as the MC finish recruting his harem
    Including his own yandere in the mix
  • Same thing ...

Remember, the guy who wrote for the James Bond Jr. cartoon also wrote the Dragon Age movie.
I didn't plan to but know i defintly don't want to watch the dragon age movie.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Asai sound like a dude though!

Well, considering
the real Asai married Oda Nobunaga's sister, does that mean this Asai will marry Oda Nobuna's brother? Hmmm....

Oda Nobuna 5

+1 loli added

I wish they had explained
what the stone pillars would actually do, and how it was supposed to force them into the swamp.

Soma

I showed that chart to a friend after she finished MPD and she still didn't get it.

She did enjoy it though. I told her to give it another watch-through since there's bound to be a bunch of details that were missed the first time.

edit - that also might be pretty spoiler-ish so it might be better to link it instead, just sayin'

MPD was a great rollercoaster ride with many cliffhanger and twists. But it's not very remarkable imo.
The first stalker arc was too long and pointless for the story, any over-the-top symbolics and unexplained plotlines.

Dresden

Hyouka - 16

• Being Mayaka is suffering. Show as usual replete with careful direction (blotting napkin, blotched paper in tune with her struggling to maintain composure, etc, etc), this time in an immediately sympathetic situation.
  • What's nice is the feeling of cohesion, how everything is coming together, not too shabby considering the way this festival started. It's always a pleasure seeing a well-planned story unfold.
  • Satoshi's envy and fascination re: Oreki coming to a head. I guess it's been a long time coming. Or maybe he's just coming out of the closet.
  • Dead eyes Chitanda is the best moe. This arc has done wonders for her likability--works wonderfully well as comic relief, but then displays reassuring competence in episode fourteen at the cooking contest. It makes her feel like something more than just a magic purple curiosity machine.
    NqrEA.jpg

This arc is teh best.

MPD was a great rollercoaster ride with many cliffhanger and twists. But it's not very remarkable imo.
The first stalker arc was too long and pointless for the story, any over-the-top symbolics and unexplained plotlines.

Penguindrum really reminds me a lot of Steins;Gate in terms of structure. The first half is just setup, the second half is when things are actually happening. Both shows start pretty slowly and then dramatically redeem their early parts with the later episodes and great endings. There are a few middle episodes in MPD wasted on ancillary characters (who actually gave a shit about Yuri?), a flaw which nearly dragged Hanasaku Iroha to a watery grave before the ship was able to right itself at the end.

I did originally drop MPD around the 5th episode while it was airing, though I don't remember why. It is a show which would have been unpleasant to watch during the airing, with all the cliffhanging and entire episodes comprised of flashbacks. Being able to marathon through it after the fact resulted in a substantially improved viewing experience for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think Kyoanus should stop adapting boring, slice of ass novels and mango and use their fucking budget for something that actually matters.
Wait, this doesn't look like a four leafed image board. How did the text transfer from there to here?

Sword Art Online 5

Oh hey, this episode takes place on my 37th birthday.
Can't call yourself a true anime fan if there isn't an episode that occurs on your birthday.

Just quoting myself because I found the two pairs of results.

And special mention of #11 Chihayafuru at 81 votes due to some Idolm@ster ten-point votes of dubious sincerity.

Amazingly 9/10 are still in the top ten even though only ~50% of the voters were AnimeGAF participants. In general, the only thing that changed were the individual series rankings within the top ten.
iDOLM@STER being in our top 10 makes us the better half. Also Chuhayafuru lost out on some votes because many were saving it for this year's AOTY poll.

BluWacky

There are a few middle episodes in MPD wasted on ancillary characters (who actually gave a shit about Yuri?)

I did! One of the weaknesses of the show for me is that Keiju and Yuri are slightly abandoned by the end, but then I guess their story arc is pretty much finished and didn't really relate to
Kanba and Sanetoshi, except indirectly

I think Yuri's quite important to the show because she helps establish much more about
Momoka and the fate transference spell
. The show needed the older characters to
really give us any detail on Momoka at all, especially since the Oginome parents are such minor characters
. Also, without Yuri Ringo wouldn't get all the melodramatic Takarazuka fantasy sequences, and episode 15 is delighfully screwed up.

Arguably Yuri is handled better than Masako, IMO.

thetechkid

Guilty Crown

38yAul.jpg

Music: There really wasn't any complaints about it, continued to be the best thing about the show. I wasn't a fan of that one song that is played every episode but the background music was fantastic.

Art: I don't have much to say besides I liked the style of the show, it really looked nice.

Story:
1-12: 7/10
13-17-:3/10
18-21: 5/10
Overall: 5/10

The story started off with a lot a cliches and wasn't anything amazing, but it wasn't bad either. It seemed like a typical show, then came part 2
with its retroactive changes that made characters like Gai go from a typical dead leader to a guy who tries to save a girl by ending the world and stupid decisions run his destiny. The whole segment of the show with the students trying to survive the red line was bullshit and made me want to punch things. WHY DO THAT? It did't provide anything to the story besides showing how being a dick is bad and friendship is the key to winning. If they took out that entire chuck of story it would make almost no difference in the long run. Then came the endgame, at least it was better than CG's ending. Yeah it was pretty typical and there were no surprises but at least they didn't spend 5 episodes making characters do stupid stuff for no reason. The end was a pretty average ending, but super nice buddy scientist didn't need to die saving Daryl, and I don't get how Shu loses his sight afterwards.

Characters: Started off pretty typical and got worse as the show went on.
I did have a few problems with some characters, specifically Yahiro, Daryl, and Kenji. With Yahiro I expected him to get at least a little more angry with Shu after his brothers death, and I don't get his sudden change after filling the role of Rossiu for the terrible school portion of the show. I figured Daryl would end up being sort of important to the plot besides always losing, but he wasn't. He started off with daddy issues that go no where after killing his dad, and his big role in the show seemed to lose after saying "I'll pay you back for defeating me before!" They never got around to really explaining Kenji, I figured after his rescue they would explain why they had a murderer as one of their comrades as he seemed to actually be bad, but they never did that. Also before I forget, why does Shuichiro just kill himself?

Final Thoughts: Not the worst anime I've seen, not the best, and slightly below average. It had some good, a lot of bad, but it was memorable because of it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sora No Woto 6

This was a really well made episode, the character animation had a significant boost, there was a fun action scene, the multiple perspectives were interesting, and there was some nice character development for several people. The background art has been good in every episode so far, this was no exception.

So that's one mystery about this particular platoon solved, they're making alcoholic beverages in the basement. I can't help but think there's plenty more mysteries still, considering everything else that's happened before. Will Kanata ever get that dolphin?

I did! One of the weaknesses of the show for me is that Keiju and Yuri are slightly abandoned by the end, but then I guess their story arc is pretty much finished and didn't really relate to
Kanba and Sanetoshi, except indirectly

I think Yuri's quite important to the show because she helps establish much more about
Momoka and the fate transference spell
. The show needed the older characters to
really give us any detail on Momoka at all, especially since the Oginome parents are such minor characters
. Also, without Yuri Ringo wouldn't get all the melodramatic Takarazuka fantasy sequences, and episode 15 is delighfully screwed up.

Arguably Yuri is handled better than Masako, IMO.

The thing is that you could have had Keiju do all of the things that Yuri did. Both were bound to Momoka's story, after all. As it is, Yuri felt like an Explainer and her two episodes were totally unnecessary for the role of an Explainer. Keiju at least had an important role early in the story for establishing both Ringo and Shouma's characters.

I agree that they didn't spend nearly enough time on Masako. There was that one episode establishing Masako's relationship with her father and grandfather, but Mario was completely ignored except in passing. I would have rather seen the two episodes spent on Yuri instead spent on developing Masako's relationship with Mario.

Guilty Crown
The story started off with a lot a cliches and wasn't anything amazing, but it wasn't bad either. It seemed like a typical show, then came part 2
. The whole segment of the show with the students trying to survive the red line was bullshit and made me want to punch things. WHY DO THAT? It did't provide anything to the story besides showing how being a dick is bad and friendship is the key to winning. If they took out that entire chuck of story it would make almost no difference in the long run. Then came the endgame, at least it was better than CG's ending. Yeah it was pretty typical and there were no surprises but at least they didn't spend 5 episodes making characters do stupid stuff for no reason. The end was a pretty average ending, but super nice buddy scientist didn't need to die saving Daryl, and I don't get how Shu loses his sight afterwards.

How can you dislike friendship power :( That was one of the best things done in this.

I believe Shu lost his sight since he took in everything from Inori, she had already lost her sight in the final episode or the one before it. Just like how he can take in the virus cancer too.

thetechkid

How can you dislike friendship power :( That was one of the best things done in this.

I believe Shu lost his sight since he took in everything from Inori, she had already lost her sight in the final episode or the one before it. Just like how he can take in the virus cancer too.

I didn't say I hated it but the whole first half already did that message, so did the end.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sora No Woto 7

Well, the ED really killed the mood on this episode.

I'm still not a fan of Filicia's pretence of being an air-head, but she got some much needed screentime this episode to build her up. I wonder what significance Noel being the only one not to light a lantern might have. Also, it seems Rio has a very interesting background...

cajunator

Banned
not even Eden of the East?

Eden of the East was pretty good.
That's the only show I can think of from them that I really liked.

Precure-ish designs but a card game? No thanks.

Yes I would argue Nathan Drake is better than Indiana Jones. It's an easy argument too.

Hahaha. No. Nathan Drake reminds me of Nathan Fillion in Firefly which I think was Naughty Dog's intention sort of, but Indiana Jones is classic. You cant top Harrison Ford.

I don't understand why you'd watch an anime about cars that features awful CG cars.

Because it is nostalgic. Plus Initial D was fun, despite the character designs being awful.

so this is what you consider a masterpiece, then?

Boy do I have good news for you

He probably rates things based on how much he enjoys it. I enjoyed Yami so much that I gave it a 10. It doesn't mean I think the show is a masterpiece, just that it was in the upper echelon of enjoyability for me. Ratings are a subjective thing. I would rate Penguin Drum an 8 or 9.

Main cast for the Chūnibyō show:

- Maaya Uchida (Rea Sanka in Sankarea) as Rikka Takanashi
- Chinatsu Akasaki (Yasuna in Kill Me Baby) as Shinka Nibutani
- Azumi Asakura (Yukiho Hagiwara in Idolm@ster) as Kumin Tsuyuri
- Sumire Uesaka (Sora Takanashi in PapaKiki) as Sanae Dekomori

I recognize three of the four and those were good voices. Haven't seen Papakiki so I cant comment on that seiyuu.

Jarmel

Banned
Hahaha. No. Nathan Drake reminds me of Nathan Fillion in Firefly which I think was Naughty Dog's intention sort of, but Indiana Jones is classic. You cant top Harrison Ford.

Mal is also a better character than Solo but people are going to put on their nostalgia glasses and go 'lol'. Just because somebody is the first or most iconic doesn't make them the best.

cajunator

Banned
Sora No Woto 7

Well, the ED really killed the mood on this episode.

I'm still not a fan of Filicia's pretence of being an air-head, but she got some much needed screentime this episode to build her up. I wonder what significance Noel being the only one not to light a lantern might have. Also, it seems Rio has a very interesting background...

Oh yes, the ED makes for delicious mood whiplash. the show has serious elements, of drama, directly followed by that amazing earworm of an ED. The dichotomy is beautiful.
I have in mind one particular scene.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka - 16

• Being Mayaka is suffering. Show as usual replete with careful direction (blotting napkin, blotched paper in tune with her struggling to maintain composure, etc, etc), this time in an immediately sympathetic situation.
  • What's nice is the feeling of cohesion, how everything is coming together, not too shabby considering the way this festival started. It's always a pleasure seeing a well-planned story unfold.
    [*]Satoshi's envy and fascination re: Oreki coming to a head. I guess it's been a long time coming. Or maybe he's just coming out of the closet.
  • Dead eyes Chitanda is the best moe. This arc has done wonders for her likability--works wonderfully well as comic relief, but then displays reassuring competence in episode fourteen at the cooking contest. It makes her feel like something more than just a magic purple curiosity machine.
    NqrEA.jpg

This arc is teh best.

I do feel bad for Satoshi, Oreki's got a very clear advantage with his sister basically throwing him a bone. He never stood a chance. ;_;

duckroll

Hosoda's Wolf Children continues to power through the Japanese box office. It is #3 this week, and the total gross has surpassed 1.5 billion yen (19 million USD). Go go go!

cajunator

Banned
Mal is also a better character than Solo but people are going to put on their nostalgia glasses and go 'lol'. Just because somebody is the first or most iconic doesn't make them the best.

Mal is an awesome character. Hilarious and memorable. I like the way Josh Whedon writes characters. Would I put him above Han Solo? No I wouldn't. Both are sarcastic and fun but Han Solo benefited from being in a more grandiose franchise and his character was able to do a lot more interesting things. Now if Mal was in Star Wars, he would have had the opportunity to do more cool stuff. As much as I love Firefly, its no Star Wars. Whether thats fair or not I dont really care. Nathan is definitely a weaker character than Indiana Jones. One is part of a beloved franchise, the other stars in three videogames, two of which are decent, and one of which is excellent. They really aren't very comparable.

Taruranto

E7 is anything but average. Sure it's not the greatest thing in the world but to call it average? That's almost insulting.

I hope E7 doesn't feel bad, but i thought it was
boring shit.

Muv-Luv Total Eclipse 6-

So how did we end up going from people getting their faces chewed off to beach hijinks? I mean I know this was based off an ero VN but come on. Those first two episodes were entirely misleading. I mean there seriously feels like a strong disconnect.

Even Unlimited and Alternative managed to have their beach hijinks, so i don't think even the cold shores of mother Russia could stop the writers from showing some tits&asses.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hosoda's Wolf Children continues to power through the Japanese box office. It is #3 this week, and the total gross has surpassed 1.5 billion yen (19 million USD). Go go go!

To put that in terms animegaf can understand, how does that compare to the K-ON Movie?

BluWacky

To put that in terms animegaf can understand, how does that compare to the K-ON Movie?

The K-On film grossed $21.4 million in total, and had only grossed $12 million by the end of its third week (same point in its theatrical life as Wolf Children is now). Figures taken from Box Office Mojo.

So basically - Wolf Children is doing better than K-On.

duckroll

The K-On film grossed $21.4 million in total, and had only grossed $12 million by the end of its third week (same point in its theatrical life as Wolf Children is now). Figures taken from Box Office Mojo.

So basically - Wolf Children is doing better than K-On.

I don't like using Box Office Mojo numbers in comparison because they have them converted to USD at the time of the yearly charts. With the fluctuating exchange rate between USD and Yen, it can create pretty inaccurate comparisons.

It should be noted that Wolf Children's performance so far is expected to take it up to 4 billion yen by the end of its run. At least, that's what I read a week or so ago. That puts it in the same range as Eva 2.0 and From Up Poopy Hill. Very good showing from Hosoda.

cajunator

Banned
Wolf Children probably has a wider audience than K-on.
Its more of a self-contained "story" type of movie. K-on movie just felt like an extremely long episode of the series.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
There's one particular episode that was pretty much pure filler and I wasn't overly fond of it. It was pretty silly. I forget which episode number it is. You'll know when you come across it.

Episode 7.5 was practically all filler, but since it was an extra episode that wasn't aired like the rest were, I don't hold that against it.

Jarmel

Banned
Mal is an awesome character. Hilarious and memorable. I like the way Josh Whedon writes characters. Would I put him above Han Solo? No I wouldn't. Both are sarcastic and fun but Han Solo benefited from being in a more grandiose franchise and his character was able to do a lot more interesting things. Now if Mal was in Star Wars, he would have had the opportunity to do more cool stuff. As much as I love Firefly, its no Star Wars. Whether thats fair or not I dont really care. Nathan is definitely a weaker character than Indiana Jones. One is part of a beloved franchise, the other stars in three videogames, two of which are decent, and one of which is excellent. They really aren't very comparable.

We're not comparing franchises but the writing of individual characters. Mal is a much more complex and fleshed out character compared to Solo. There's an edge to his character that Solo really doesn't have. You could definitely have stronger characters but a weaker franchise. I like the Indiana Jones franchise more than I do the Uncharted franchise. That said, I think Nathan is a much more complicated character compared to Indiana. There's also more of an emotional core to him compared to Indy(although that was a strength of the third movie). They're very much the same type of character even if one directly inspired the other.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Didn't read your spoiler, cajunator, but episode 7.5 was
they hold a practice fight with the water guns, and kanata finds out about the brewing, and there's lots of yuri.

cajunator

Banned
Didn't read your spoiler, cajunator, but episode 7.5 was
they hold a practice fight with the water guns, and kanata finds out about the brewing, and there's lots of yuri.

I was thinking of something else. I wouldnt call this episode ALL filler but it has something silly in it. I think its the next one. What I posted wasnt a spoiler really, just kind of a really silly side adventure that has no bearing on the story. The show has some of those.

sonicmj1

Mal was in a 12 episode TV series where he was the main character. Han Solo is a supporting character in a film trilogy. Mal has more development by definition. Similarly, Drake stars in 6+ hour games, while Indy stars in 90 minute movies.

Your argument seems like "they're more 'complex' so they're better", but that seems like the sort of argument that'd make Xenosaga the greatest story ever told. The quality of writing matters more than the quantity.

BluWacky

I don't like using Box Office Mojo numbers in comparison because they have them converted to USD at the time of the yearly charts. With the fluctuating exchange rate between USD and Yen, it can create pretty inaccurate comparisons.

Good point - I had hoped they'd give Yen figures as well but apparently not. In this instance it doesn't matter because clearly Wolf Children's doing better anyway :).

How much competition does the movie have? what other movies are big right now in Japan?

The last top 10 was:

1. Umizaru 4 (long-running manga adaptation about coastguards)
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. new Naruto film
4. Wolf Children
5. new Pokemon film
6. Eight Ranger (Johnny's boyband promo movie)
7. Helter Skelter (psychological thriller - manga won the Tezuka award so might be vaguely classy? A little Perfect Blue esque from the sound of things)
8. Brave
9. Spiderman
10. Nanoha movie

cajunator

Banned
Mal was in a 12 episode TV series where he was the main character. Han Solo is a supporting character in a film trilogy. Mal has more development by definition. Similarly, Drake stars in 6+ hour games, while Indy stars in 90 minute movies.

Your argument seems like "they're more 'complex' so they're better", but that seems like the sort of argument that'd make Xenosaga the greatest story ever told. The quality of writing matters more than the quantity.

I really dont want to just compare the characters because I honestly love them all. They're all sarcastic comedic characters with a knack for adventure. Cant really rank them.

duckroll

The last top 10 was:

1. Umizaru 4 (long-running manga adaptation about coastguards)
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. new Naruto film
4. Wolf Children
5. new Pokemon film
6. Eight Ranger (Johnny's boyband promo movie)
7. Helter Skelter (psychological thriller - manga won the Tezuka award so might be vaguely classy? A little Perfect Blue esque from the sound of things)
8. Brave
9. Spiderman
10. Nanoha movie

Thanks, I'll post this week's Top10 for comparison:

1. Kamen Rider Fourze & Go-Busters
2. Umizaru 4
3. Wolf Children
4. new Pokemon film
5. Dark Knight Rises
6. Madagascar 3
7. new Naruto film
8. Eight Ranger