• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
hyouka 16

echi.jpg

lewd

The pieces are coming together. hope it doesn't end up... disappointing? Resolutions for hyouka mysteries tend to be ... meh at best for me.

Kazzy

Bleach: The DiamondDust Rebellion

After the first film pretty much emphasized the high-points of the Bleach franchise (at least for me), this second feature only serves to highlight it's overbearing low-points.

I felt Memories of Nobody at least succeeded in providing a succint, and more importantly, simple story that worked well as a standalone piece. The DiamondDust Rebellion (stupid name) quickly becomes a cluttered mess, one which covers itself in confusing and nonsensical terminology, both old and new, as it steadily steers towards its predictable conclusion.

I was interested in watching this, mostly as I was just curious to see if they actually used the time to flesh out the character of Hitsuguya. He has always been a character who I felt got way too much screen-time in the series, especially as there were far more interesting characters (not least of all The Captains), continually being thrown to the wayside.

DxPVL.jpg

Stupid characters, do stupid things

The plot itself is paper-thin, Hitsugaya tasked with protecting a royal artifact, is branded a criminal after disappearing in mysterious circumstances, when said item is stolen. As this concerns Soul-Society, of course all logic is thrown out of the window, as the ever sedulos Captain is instantly branded a fugitive. You'd think that some sort of investigation would at least have been suggested. I seem to remember the Gotei 13 coming across as pretty much incompetent in the past, but here they reach ridiculous new levels. I know they are supposed to be the military for SS, but they always seem to act like a dictatorship, except when the plot suits, at which point, we are reminded of the two branches that have actual jurisdiction over them. The way in which they operate has never really made much sense to me, much less here. And in this case, they essentially order a death-sentence on Hitsugaya, who seems all too happy to oblige in justifying their suspicions, by attacking everyone on sight. Considering these are all characters that are supposed to be 100's of years old(at the very least), there is a certain irony in all of them constantly acting like petulant children.

FoTcK.jpg

If I was going to be reductive about all this, his character development could be summarized as: gets new outfit.

It would have taken only take one moment of rational thinking from just one character, for the whole narrative to come crashing down. But that was not to be the case, and instead most of the film is dedicated to a select few taking it upon themselves to find out the truth, all the while, Hitsuguya seems to aimlessly wander around every abandoned industrial building in Japan.

1Tqyp.jpg

WOEFULLY UNDERUTILIZED.

The reality of just how illogically they are all acting looks as though it is being setup for an eventual deconstruction of sorts, but as the finale draws close, the status-quo is simply restored, with no one questioning how easily it could have all been avoided. With the story being a dud, the action is the only thing left, and that doesn't really help matters. It's the same hackneyed scenes that made me drop the series during the Hueco Mundo arc, uninteresting fights, punctuated by all the key characters signature moves. It's simply boring, and the whole thing would have benefited from some restraint. This probably makes it sound more engaging that it actually is, but the final battle is litereally a pastiche of an RPG final boss, complete with a castle and a giant enemy.

All in all, it offers up nothing much at all. It has no real insight into the character it chooses to focus on, and it makes poor use of its cast. It never really justifies it's status as a feature, in my opinion. A lot of the animation just felt lazy too.

Summary: They should have focussed on Shunsui, instead. I expect the stupidest things from a Bleach movie. This is ramble.

After the first film pretty much emphasized the high-points of the Bleach franchise (at least for me), this second feature only serves to highlight it's overbearing low-points.

I felt Memories of Nobody at least succeeded in providing a succint, and more importantly, simple story that worked well as a standalone piece. The DiamondDust Rebellion (stupid name) quickly becomes a cluttered mess, one which covers itself in confusing and nonsensical terminology, both old and new, as it steadily steers towards its predictable conclusion.

I was interested in watching this, mostly as I was just curious to see if they actually used the time to flesh out the character of Hitsuguya. He has always been a character who I felt got way too much screen-time in the series, especially as there were far more interesting characters (not least of all The Captains), continually being thrown to the wayside.

The plot itself is paper-thin, Hitsugaya tasked with protecting a royal artifact, is branded a criminal after disappearing in mysterious circumstances, when said item is stolen. As this concerns Soul-Society, of course all logic is thrown out of the window, as the ever sedulos Captain is instantly branded a fugitive. You'd think that some sort of investigation would at least have been suggested. I seem to remember the Gotei 13 coming across as pretty much incompetent in the past, but here they reach ridiculous new levels. I know they are supposed to be the military for SS, but they always seem to act like a dictatorship, except when the plot suits, at which point, we are reminded of the two branches that have actual jurisdiction over them. The way in which they operate has never really made much sense to me, much less here. And in this case, they essentially order a death-sentence on Hitsugaya, who seems all too happy to oblige in justifying their suspicions, by attacking everyone on sight. Considering these are all characters that are supposed to be 100's of years old(at the very least), there is a certain irony in all of them constantly acting like petulant children.

It would have taken only take one moment of rational thinking from just one character, for the whole narrative to come crashing down. But that was not to be the case, and instead most of the film is dedicated to a select few taking it upon themselves to find out the truth, all the while, Hitsuguya seems to aimlessly wander around every abandoned industrial building in Japan.

The reality of just how illogically they are all acting looks as though it is being setup for an eventual deconstruction of sorts, but as the finale draws close, the status-quo is simply restored, with no one questioning how easily it could have all been avoided. With the story being a dud, the action is the only thing left, and that doesn't really help matters. It's the same hackneyed scenes that made me drop the series during the Hueco Mundo arc, uninteresting fights, punctuated by all the key characters signature moves. It's simply boring, and the whole thing would have benefited from some restraint. This probably makes it sound more engaging that it actually is, but the final battle is litereally a pastiche of an RPG final boss, complete with a castle and a giant enemy.

All in all, it offers up nothing much at all. It has no real insight into the character it chooses to focus on, and it makes poor use of its cast. It never really justifies it's status as a feature, in my opinion. A lot of the animation just felt lazy too.

Summary: They should have focussed on Shunsui, instead. I expect the stupidest things from a Bleach movie. This is ramble.

Pretty much. First movie is still my favorite filler of the show. It gave off the vibe of Bleach pre Soul Society arc. Atmosphere and a loveable and tragic gal.

Not a Hitsugaya fan? I guess thats why I liked it so much, now go for the third movie.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well then it just sounds like they are idiots for sleeping in non safe zones.

That's why it's an exploit. It seems the agreement to duel is a shared UI so you just need their finger. Really it should require a password or the agreement requires a two way agreement from both individuals UIs.

It's not shared. The way the LN explained it is that the person that would be PKing would access the victim's menu and navigate it to duel them. The PK would then accept and proceed to kill him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hyouka 16

The pieces are coming together. hope it doesn't end up... disappointing? Resolutions for hyouka mysteries tend to be ... meh at best for me.
Oreki's sister is the true mastermind!

Nichijou 3-7

You know, in spite of the Dane Cook moments, I'm liking this show overall so far.
Why you hate Cook. :(

Beyond the fact that they're both Starchild properties and aired in the same season, I dunno why they picked those two series. Maybe it was the easiest pair to draw crossover art for.
All moe girls look the same I guess.

Kazzy

Pretty much. First movie is still my favorite filler of the show. It gave off the vibe of Bleach pre Soul Society arc. Atmosphere and a loveable and tragic gal.

That's what I was getting at, or at least trying to! I really liked Bleach during it's earlier series, when it still had drive about it, whilst still building an interesting world. Basically, it was really well-paced. The further it went, the more it just became burdened by how much it chose to reveal about it's fiction.

Not a Hitsugaya fan? I guess thats why I liked it so much, now go for the third movie.

Never minded him too much, but like I feel his exposure is disproportionate to his overall quality as a character. And me not liking the film wouldn't have been confined to that dislike anyway, because overall it was just a mess.

Jex

hyouka 16

I think if you have any expectation about the resolution of a mystery in Hyouka
you're ultimately going to be disappointed. That's not to say they aren't well constructed, in their own way, but I never actually care about them because they're exceedingly banal.

At the very least this mystery has had a far better introductory phase than what I was expecting. However what I am actually watching the show for is the character interactions because, on that front at least, I know that I won't be disappointed.

Jex

Moyashimon 03

Uh, the anime may be good, but i'm not feeling, it isn't really my genre. :\ Probably will drop it.

I was going to make some argument some argument that there's no such thing as being restricted by the genre of the work but then I dropped it because it made me sound a bit of ass.

What I will say is, I imagine there's some definable reason that you could pin down about why you aren't feeling it and that probably has little to do with the genre of the work.

OceanBlue

I didn't think Moyashimon was too boring. I didn't really think it was special, but the parts where they didn't focus as much on microbes and just focused on the cast's antics were pretty fun for me.

Jex

The best write-ups always belong to the worst shows!

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say 'always', I've read some fairly informative write-ups of good shows too.

However, I think it's far easier to say why you dislike something than why you like it. Everyone enjoys bashing something that's terrible and writing a good rage-review is fairly easy to do because of this.

As a result of this you're far more likely to see creative or lengthy reviews of utter rubbish than serious reviews about great shows.

However, I think it's far easier to say why you dislike something than why you like it. Everyone enjoys bashing something that's terrible and writing a good rage-review is fairly easy to do because of this.
That's why my impressions are always so positive.
I want to be a ray of sunshine in the dark, overwhelmingly pessimistic corner of GAF that is the anime community.

One day, I hope to make you all remember how to smile again.

That's why my impressions are always so positive.
I want to be a ray of sunshine in the dark, overwhelmingly pessimistic corner of GAF that is the anime community.

One day, I hope to make you all remember how to smile again.

Thank you, it works! I can smile again!

But I don't watch stuff I dislike normally, so anime is still a hobby and not a way to waste my time.

Jarmel

Banned
So I was thinking about watching the Tsukihime anime and was wondering if I should play the game first then watch the anime or is no prior knowledge required?

ohlawd

So I was thinking about watching the Tsukihime anime and was wondering if I should play the game first then watch the anime or is no prior knowledge required?

It'd be really nice if an anime of Tsukihime existed as it is one of my favorite VNs. I am 100% sure if an anime of it is green-lit, it'll be met with the love and care it deserves.

It'd be really nice if an anime of Tsukihime existed as it is one of my favorite VNs. I am 100% sure if an anime of it is green-lit, it'll be met with the love and care it deserves.

Maybe you'll be lucky and they'll announce a new anime tie-in whenever they ever finish that Tsukihime remake.

Kingdom 10
tumblr_m8cqmpiXSJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Storming the castle proved to be quite an epic episode. I think the setup that started last episode, worked really well. After laying down the strategem with trying to arrange for Yang Duanhe, the mountain king, to meet with the Minister tasked with governing all of Cheng Jiao's affairs, Jie Shi, the countermeasures in place by Si Shi, were put to the test. It was such an entirely suspenseful moment that I found myself like Diao, short of breath and kind of anxious over how they would overcome the 80,000 troops with their 3,000.

I actually thought they would meet with them and try to reason but the way they handled it was good. The entire fight after the first blow was dealt to everyone almost giving up to when Xin rushed forward and performed those two power leaps, I was litrally so close to the screen. I hope we get even more of him doing this great things, as well as Diao too.

Next episode cant come soon enough.

Taruranto

I see nothing. Perhaps you meant to link the manga? It's very famous, due to it being a very good adaption of Arc's route, so you probably got confused.

Anyway, Jarmel, if you are really interested in Porkslope Turkeyhandle Tsukihime, the novel is... well, honestly, it can be a little hard to get into. The interface is kinda old, it's like 40 hours long and the OST has like 10 pieces (many simply make their own personal OST) and the writing is filled with Nasuism and many, many repetitions... and yet, it may be worth of checking it out.

The novel is divided into two "sides", Far Side and Near Side. I'm not a fan of Near Side (i still have to finish Ciel's route and i played Tsukihime like one year ago) AKA Reverse Twilight, but Far Side is a favorite of mine, especially because of the well written characters. The translation patch also includes a useful option to remove the ero-content if you want, so you don't have to deal with mollusks and all the beautiful creatures that populate our seas.

Supposedly, there is a Tsukihime remake incoming but they gave Arc a miniskirt so fuck them!

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange S2 5

Show has gone full retard.

i'll keep watching and liking it.

FYI, most of the prequel manga stuff has been told now cause of this episode, though I still wonder why they took this long to reveal it.
I started watching School Days last night, despite warnings of how completely insane the ending is. Up to...episode 6 or 7, the last episode I saw ended with Kotonoha
slapping the shit out of Sekai
. MC is so god damned stupid, WHY IS HE SO STUPID. Finishing up tonight.
nicholsonheadnod.gif

Jarmel

Banned
I see nothing. Perhaps you meant to link the manga? It's very famous, due to it being a very good adaption of Arc's route, so you probably got confused.

Anyway, Jarmel, if you are really interested in Porkslope Turkeyhandle Tsukihime, the novel is... well, honestly, it can be a little hard to get into. The interface is kinda old, it's like 40 hours long and the OST has like 10 pieces (many simply make their own personal OST) and the writing is filled with Nasuism and many, many repetitions... and yet, it may be worth of checking it out.

The novel is divided into two "sides", Far Side and Near Side. I'm not a fan of Near Side (i still have to finish Ciel's route and i played Tsukihime like one year ago) AKA Reverse Twilight, but Far Side is a favorite of mine, especially because of the well written characters. The translation patch also includes a useful option to remove the ero-content if you want, so you don't have to deal with mollusks and all the beautiful creatures that populate our seas.

Supposedly, there is a Tsukihime remake incoming but they gave Arc a miniskirt so fuck them!

Well I was just interested in getting more involved or atleast knowledgeable in the Nasuverse. I recently went to a con and while talking to some people there, highlighted my lack of knowledge of some of the more intimate details of the verse. So I was going to try and get into Tsukihime as a start.

Go_Ly_Dow

So what summer op's do you people enjoy?

Tari Tari's Opening is probably my favourite. Very vibrant, lots of energy and the scenes and cuts go well with the music.

The strange running only adds to the quirkiness! (and Wakana's little jump at 1:14 is hilarious)

edit: not wakana, but konatsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom