• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyouka - 16

mpc-hc2012-08-0416-09cts36.png

I need something interesting to watch now.

Jintor

Beserk: The Egg of the King

I guess I just have a thing for medieval warfare and mercenary bands. That was okay.

Starting up Wolf Children now.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks, I'll post this week's Top10 for comparison:

1. Kamen Rider Fourze & Go-Busters
2. Umizaru 4
3. Wolf Children
4. new Pokemon film
5. Dark Knight Rises
6. Madagascar 3
7. new Naruto film
8. Eight Ranger
9. Another
10. Helter Skelter

How well do US blockbusters typically fare in Japan?

Jarmel

Banned
Mal was in a 12 episode TV series where he was the main character. Han Solo is a supporting character in a film trilogy. Mal has more development by definition. Similarly, Drake stars in 6+ hour games, while Indy stars in 90 minute movies.

Your argument seems like "they're more 'complex' so they're better", but that seems like the sort of argument that'd make Xenosaga the greatest story ever told. The quality of writing matters more than the quantity.

Not inherently. Complexity certainly helps with any character as long as it's fleshed out properly and not ruining the character(Darth Vader). Both examples I posted are more complex but also are more human because of the complexities. Each of certain things in their background which help explain the way they are. Not to mention both address societal issues on a minor scale through their backgrounds. Nathan's was nature vs nurture and Mal's had to do with reintegration of a side after losing a war(something seen in the South). Having these events to tie them down gives a better understanding into their mindset. That's what I liked about the third Indy movie in that it did give some background to Indy. Yes that may be a limitation due to the runtime of the films but then you have movies like Temple of Doom or Crystal Skull which really don't add anything and if anything, serve to undermine Indy as a character. Solo also isn't exactly a minor supporting character either. Yes there can be something said about the simplicity of certain characters (or villains for that matter) however contextualization can certainly help make characters 'better'. Of course then we get into the never ending argument about how do you define better as one person's 'better' might be inherently different than anothers but I'l leave that alone for the time being.

duckroll

How well do US blockbusters typically fare in Japan?

Depends on the "blockbuster" really. It can vary greatly for reasons I never fully understood since I haven't really done any research into the releases. I believe the popularity of a theatrical run could also vary depending on the availability of sub/dub screenings nationwide, release delay from the US opening, etc.

Jarmel

Banned
Hyouka - 16

mpc-hc2012-08-0416-09cts36.png

I need something interesting to watch now.

You're watching the wrong series. Of course the mystery will end up being trivial. I thought the film arc would have made that perfectly clear.

Depends on the "blockbuster" really. It can vary greatly for reasons I never fully understood since I haven't really done any research into the releases. I believe the popularity of a theatrical run could also vary depending on the availability of sub/dub screenings nationwide, release delay from the US opening, etc.

That would be something I would be interested in. Certain superhero movies are far more popular overseas compared to the states and I wonder if that's tied to anything.

cajunator

Banned

It would be interesting to find how much Us movies sell, on average, in Japan proportional to the US home market. Do anime movies typically top the charts?

flawfuls

Good point - I had hoped they'd give Yen figures as well but apparently not. In this instance it doesn't matter because clearly Wolf Children's doing better anyway :).

The last top 10 was:

1. Umizaru 4 (long-running manga adaptation about coastguards)
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. new Naruto film
4. Wolf Children
5. new Pokemon film
6. Eight Ranger (Johnny's boyband promo movie)
7. Helter Skelter (psychological thriller - manga won the Tezuka award so might be vaguely classy? A little Perfect Blue esque from the sound of things)
8. Brave
9. Spiderman
10. Nanoha movie

It certainly is and has one of the best protagonists ever!

The movie looks kind of neat in it's own right, but I doubt it will be much like the manga.

sonicmj1

Haibane Renmei 5

Today's featured Haibane is Nemu.

This episode made effective use of Rakka's curiosity. I like how they developed the "Beginning of the World" theme over the course of the episode.

ibxo6jHT6JPtQY.png

The ending was actually kind of touching.

Here also marks the introduction of an entirely different nest of Haibane, who have some kind of
connection with Reki's past. It's kind of weird seeing an angel "biker gang", but I'm now more curious about what happened earlier. It sounds like Old Home was pretty empty not long ago.

The show keeps gliding along. At times it makes early Hyouka seem like gripping drama, but it's still pulling me in deeper. The Old Home gang is becoming like a real group of people. They're taking on more dimension the more I see them.

duckroll

That would be something I would be interested in. Certain superhero movies are far more popular overseas compared to the states and I wonder if that's tied to anything.

It would be interesting to find how much Us movies sell, on average, in Japan proportional to the US home market. Do anime movies typically top the charts?

There's no "average" though, because like I said, stuff which are really popular in the US don't always translate to the same popularity in Japan, and some stuff which are less popular in the US might do really well in Japan, or somethings a huge movie does really well in both territories.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2007&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2008&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2010&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2011&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2012&p=.htm

That's the last 5 years of yearly charts on Box Office Mojo since we're comparing with US sales. The market in Japan is much smaller than the US, but the top movies of the year are generally expected to make about 100 million judging from the charts.

Unless it's a Miyazaki movie, anime movies pretty much have no chance to top the annual charts. Most of the really successful ones tend to do about 40-50 million tops (even non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies!). The top movies of each year are usually Hollywood blockbusters with a shitload of marketing behind them and having broad international appeal, and big domestic Japanese live action movies with popular stars.

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 5

Today's featured Haibane is Nemu.

This episode made effective use of Rakka's curiosity. I like how they developed the "Beginning of the World" theme over the course of the episode.

Here also marks the introduction of an entirely different nest of Haibane, who have some kind of
connection with Reki's past. It's kind of weird seeing an angel "biker gang", but I'm now more curious about what happened earlier. It sounds like Old Home was pretty empty not long ago.

The show keeps gliding along. At times it makes early Hyouka seem like gripping drama, but it's still pulling me in deeper. The Old Home gang is becoming like a real group of people. They're taking on more dimension the more I see them.

well, considering that Haibane Renmei has a chain smoking character in it, that other thing shouldn't be too much of a surprise.
I think you'll enjoy how it plays out. I really don't want to say much more than that though. Anything I say is going to spoil something probably. I will concede that it starts out slowly, but the stuff depicting how Rakka has to adjust to the new world she is in was pretty fascinating to me, and a little gruesome.

You're watching the wrong series. Of course the mystery will end up being trivial. I thought the film arc would have made that perfectly clear.

It's not like I couldn't enjoy a show about nothing or trivial things. And the first episodes of the festival arc were not bad and alot better than everything before because it was more about some slife of life antics than about the trivial mysteries.

I blame the general direction of the show. And, yeah, I will drop the show again after this arc.

cajunator

Banned
There's no "average" though, because like I said, stuff which are really popular in the US don't always translate to the same popularity in Japan, and some stuff which are less popular in the US might do really well in Japan, or somethings a huge movie does really well in both territories.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2007&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2008&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2010&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2011&p=.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2012&p=.htm

That's the last 5 years of yearly charts on Box Office Mojo since we're comparing with US sales. The market in Japan is much smaller than the US, but the top movies of the year are generally expected to make about 100 million judging from the charts.

Unless it's a Miyazaki movie, anime movies pretty much have no chance to top the annual charts. Most of the really successful ones tend to do about 40-50 million tops (even non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies!). The top movies of each year are usually Hollywood blockbusters with a shitload of marketing behind them and having broad international appeal, and big domestic Japanese live action movies with popular stars.

I would certainly expect Miyazaki movies to be hugely successful and hopefully Shinkai and Kon, but the rest looks like a crapshoot. Is there another single market on Earth that is as difficult to predict as the Japanese market? They seem to latch on to the most random of things.

Tizoc

So GAF any of the recently aired new anime series worth watching?
Also, lat ep. of Fairy Tail I watched was 128, which I believe is part of a filler, should I bother watching the remaing eps. after that or just skip to a certain ep.?

duckroll

Sword Art Online - Episode 5

After Batman Begins (episode 2), The Dark Knight (episode 3), and The Dark Knight Rises (episode 4), we're now in Law & Order: SAO. Lol. This episode was pretty fucking hilarious. Most of it was just kinda silly, but rather novel, but then the final scene at the end was just ROFLMAO. Those expressions, the direction, the laziness of the animation, it was like watching Higurashi all over again. I hope we get more of that serious overacting stuff in the next episode as well. Lololol.

cajunator

Banned
Also, lat ep. of Fairy Tail I watched was 128, which I believe is part of a filler, should I bother watching the remaing eps. after that or just skip to a certain ep.?

Thus far I have enjoyed Jinrui, Tari Tari, Joshiraku, and Binbougami Ga. Jinrui has been getting really silly, so I don't know whether to recommend it or not. Then again, this is anime. Also if you haven't been watching Space Brothers, WATCH SPACE BROTHERS.

Kokoro Connect for really enjoyable drama and personality switching in our favorite setting.
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is also really good (school election and drama).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Kokoro Connect, Sword Art Online, Tari Tari.

The comedies are worth watching:

Jinrui
Joshiraku
Binbougami Ga
Moyashimon (more slice of life than the other shows)

Defuser

Phi Brain S2 ep 18
So Herbert is actually a nice guy deep down? Bullshit! He was such a douche even before he got the damn ring.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In SAO, if people can use an exploit to kill you in your sleep why don't they just lock the door? Or lean a chair against it? Or leave their hands down their pants?

In SAO, if people can use an exploit to kill you in your sleep why don't they just lock the door? Or lean a chair against it? Or leave their hands down their pants?

If there is an eavesdropping skill and such perhaps there is a lockpicking one? They should have a rule where you cant die in a town though.

Jintor

Wolf Children

That was amazing. Absolutely, stunningly amazing. The core is so very simple but it's told with such elegance and restraint that it's- oh, man. I'm going to go out and watch it in a cinema again when it launches in September.

I just have From Up On Poppy Hill left to watch, I'll do that tomorrow.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That doesn't actually work. Unless the floor causes a lot of friction, like if it has a carpet.

Well it would still make a noise when it topples over.

And failing that there is the backup plan. No man would dare remove another mans hand's from their pants. Being trapped in an MMO, that is man's last sacred pleasure.

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 5

Enter Nemu the librarian.

*Jumping to an important piece of information Nemu shares* She informs Rakka of
another faction of Haibane. My assumption is that their existence feeds the parallel for the common label, "wrong side of the tracks", in terms of the race. Additionally, Reki seems to be moderately acquainted with the group. This element will most definitely be expanded on in the future (I think). Though, I question how important the specifics really are. Perhaps the Haibane Reki eloped with got her into smoking?

All the while, Rakka contemplates her place in this new world (again). She has a hunger for knowledge seemingly hidden from her conscious on her whereabouts before Haibane birth and the worth of her life after the fact.

Furthermore, when Nemu reads
her Beginning of the World book aloud, she mentions the Haibane as mistakes while humans were the "correct product." Is this a sense of inferiority amongst some Haibane or is it simply an explanation to their (apparent) smaller numbers than humans?

In any case, things are taking their time, but I see the world-building potentially paying off later on. "Potentially." I look forward to seeing more of the environment fleshed out (as well as what I mentioned last week).

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 5

Enter Nemu the librarian.

*Jumping to an important piece of information Nemu shares* She informs Rakka of
another faction of Haibane. My assumption is that their existence feeds the parallel for the common label, "wrong side of the tracks", in terms of the race. Additionally, Reki seems to be moderately acquainted with the group. This element will most definitely be expanded on in the future (I think). Though, I question how important the specifics really are. Perhaps the Haibane Reki eloped with got her into smoking?

All the while, Rakka contemplates her place in this new world (again). She has a hunger for knowledge seemingly hidden from her conscious on her whereabouts before Haibane birth and the worth of her life after the fact.

Furthermore, when Nemu reads
her Beginning of the World book aloud, she mentions the Haibane as mistakes while humans were the "correct product." Is this a sense of inferiority amongst some Haibane or is it simply an explanation to their (apparent) smaller numbers than humans?

In any case, things are taking their time, but I see the world-building potentially paying off later on. "Potentially." I look forward to seeing more of the environment fleshed out (as well as what I mentioned last week).

Nemu is sleepy-moe.
The more Haibane watchers the better.
There is definitely a payoff to all this, but be prepared to have several questions not answered. Abe intentionally kept some things vague and open to interpretation. I think for the better.

Defuser

Actually the resting rooms in SAO are programmed to be 100% unbreakable/crackable so no amount of high level lockpick can break into the room. Players are safe when sleeping in a inn.

Wolf Children

That was amazing. Absolutely, stunningly amazing. The core is so very simple but it's told with such elegance and restraint that it's- oh, man. I'm going to go out and watch it in a cinema again when it launches in September.

Have I ever told you how much I hate you. :p

When will it be my turn to experience the Hosodapocalypse. ;_;

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I thought you were going to say "why are you going to design a character like that, she looks awful". You've let me down.

Originally I was going to say tacky, but I cannot ignore the bigger issue which is not completing the dominatrix set. That's the bigger crime in my eyes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
oda nobuna no yabou - 05

• Man, why did Hanbei have to go from a dapper priest dude to a uguu~ loli.

• You'd think that after all this time he'd have to change out of his school clothes. I wonder how much he smells. Perhaps it's the musk that draws in all the lolis.
  • I think Asai is a girl. That knife gives it away.
  • Oda continues to be completely useless.
  • Will keep watching.

1.) Lolis are so lewd.
2.) I'm hoping this is the case. I really am.

Asai sound like a dude though!

Prince types!

Jex

Wolf Children

Good for you.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not jealous.

At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom