• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Honestly, I've never really understood why people claim Renton is an unlikeable protagonist. At least not people who have watched the show in its entirety. I mean, sure, Renton starts off as a dumb snot nosed kid with a very narrow view of the world but a very large part of his character arc is that as the story progresses that very worldview keeps constantly expanding as Renton experiences different things and, quite frankly, I think it's impossible not to notice that by the show's climax all of these experiences have helped him mature and he is very clearly no longer the same person he was at the outset of the show.

I'd take a character who grows and matures as a show progresses over a static one any time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Jexhius, I am disappoint.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Honestly, I've never really understood why people claim Renton is an unlikeable protagonist. At least not people who have watched the show in its entirety. I mean, sure, Renton starts off as a dumb snot nosed kid with a very narrow view of the world but a very large part of his character arc is that as the story progresses that very worldview keeps constantly expanding as Renton experiences different things and, quite frankly, I think it's impossible not to notice that by the show's climax all of these experiences have helped him mature and he is very clearly no longer the same person he was at the outset of the show.

I'd take a character who grows and matures as a show progresses over a static one any time.

Well, that mere fact that he changes doesn't make him not unlikeable. It may mean he isn't shallow, or steretypical, but he can be a well-developed character and still be perfectly unlikeable.

Am I allowed to still hold that opinion when I dropped it at episode 32?

lol @ the youtube comments, so predictable...

That said it doesn't interest me that much, skinnies bishies are meh. Tumblr females will love it, though.

tumblr_m8533gRzdl1r8bo7no1_500.jpg

trejo

Well, that mere fact that he changes doesn't make him not unlikeable. It may mean he isn't shallow, or steretypical, but he can be a well-developed character and still be perfectly unlikeable.

I guess it's perfectly possible although slightly improbable. I've found that most of the times it's highly likely to find something to like about well-developed characters, no matter their allignments or motivations or whatnot.

Am I allowed to still hold that opinion when I dropped it at episode 32?

*flips coin*

Yes!

You win. This time.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 111

I decided to give this show one last chance.

It failed miserably.

Thanks for ruining Sailor Moon for me, everyone who made this abomination.

Dropped.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We must have very different views on what a "logical conclusion" looks like.
In real life, most women aren't okay with you having a harem.

Well, I suppose there are certain religions that encourage it. I don't think any of them exist in real numbers in Japan though. lol

sonicmj1

In real life, most women aren't okay with you having a harem.

Well, I suppose there are certain religions that encourage it. I don't think any of them exist in real numbers in Japan though. lol

In real life, when most women "aren't okay" with something, they don't
kill all offending parties with a knife.

Paranoia Agent 03

So the plot is a kid going around beating people up with his golden bat, okay... No disrespect to Satoshi Kon(RIP) but I just dont like his works, except for Millenium Actress.

trejo

Nope, and unless I know a shitton of bad stuff happens to Gekkostate, I don't plan on starting it up again.

May I ask what exactly you don't like about the crew? Is it because they have flaws? Is it because they're not depicted as super duper close nakama who always get along with each other no matter what?

Not trying to be a dick here, just curious.

Lain

I'll never understand how people can find Renton unlikeable just like I'll never understand how they can say all he does is whining.

trejo

Kyou no Asuka Show 1

Man, for real? If you're gonna go ahead and make something like this then at the very least have the decency to provide something worth staring at. That one was so not worth it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 111

I decided to give this show one last chance.

It failed miserably.

Thanks for ruining Sailor Moon for me, everyone who made this abomination.

Dropped.

At least call it Moon the Sailor if you're going to pull this sort of thing.

trejo

I'll just link my rage post.

What can I say? Not everything can be happy fun times for the protagonist with everything magically going his way nor can anyone always be expected to make the wisest choices at every opportunity or react in the most levelheaded way during times of stress. If anything I feel like all their flaws and rash decision making only helps to humanize the characters all the more.

In any case, it looks like we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I do still hope you find it in you to finish the show sometime.

What can I say? Not everything can be happy fun times for the protagonist with everything magically going his way nor can anyone always be expected to make the wisest choices at every opportunity or react in the most levelheaded way during times of stress. If anything I feel like all their flaws and rash decision making only helps to humanize the characters all the more.

I won't claim that there's a set way for people to act in moments of grief, but what annoyed me the most was the "back to status quo" feeling that happened after the Ray Charles stuff. Even if Renton could stomach to be around Holland and most of Gekkostate, he should have been looking at them with hidden contempt. But stuff like that is never brought up again and I find it aggravating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In real life, when most women "aren't okay" with something, they don't
kill all offending parties with a knife.
Well, in real life an astronaut put on a diaper so she could drive from Houston to Cape Canaveral in order to kidnap her ex-lover's new girlfriend. So, what can you really say about human psychology except that it is unpredictable?
(I also bet that this doesn't happen in Space Brothers though!)

Nope, and unless I know a shitton of bad stuff happens to Gekkostate, I don't plan on starting it up again.
Gekkostate is forced to change at least. I'm just surprised that you'd give up after putting in all that work. :p

Do you genuinely hate Neptune and Uranus that much, or are you trolling?
Strange, because they're the best senshi!

I won't claim that there's a set way for people to act in moments of grief, but what annoyed me the most was the "back to status quo" feeling that happened after the Ray Charles stuff. Even if Renton could stomach to be around Holland and most of Gekkostate, he should have been looking at them with hidden contempt. But stuff like that is never brought up again and I find it aggravating.
So, I don't know when this happens, and maybe someone else can give you the episode number. But everything changes the moment that
Talho finds out she's pregnant. They're basically told to grow up.

Gekkostate is forced to change at least. I'm just surprised that you'd give up after putting in all that work. :p

Well I was watching 3 episodes at a time while jogging in place. I've stopped doing that since joining a gym and haven't found any motivation to continue on my "own time".

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Do you genuinely hate Neptune and Uranus that much, or are you trolling?

I genuinely hate them for everything they brought into Sailor Moon. As I mentioned to narag yesterday, if they were in their own show, I'd probably like them. As for why I disliked 111 so much,
the deus ex machina bullshit with the grail put a huge damper on the episode, and then Haruka and Michiru didn't even have the decency to say "sorry, we were wrong". No, they still are going to be doing their "we're loners and don't need to help you at all or tell you anything at all about what we're doing even though it would be very beneficial to all of us". Fuck that. Not to mention that Sailor Pluto's arrival was also really poorly done. What's that? She could have shown up at any time and stopped all the dumb things that Neptune and Uranus were doing? Nooooooo, we need some more shitty forced drama revolving around the 2 worst characters. Not to mention that supposedly she's working with Neptune and Uranus, but conveniently forgot to reveal that she was holding on to a talisman the entire time. Not to mention that judging from her actions, she knew a lot more about the messiah, grail, and talismans than anyone else, but decided to keep it a secret until everyone was half dead.

So, I don't know when this happens, and maybe someone else can give you the episode number. But everything changes the moment that
Talho finds out she's pregnant. They're basically told to grow up.

Honestly, that sounds like it would make me even more mad.
Oh hey, we gotta grow up now because we're bringing a new life into the world. After that happens, everything will be okay (except for the hundreds of lives we've already destroyed)!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, that sounds like it would make me even more mad.
Oh hey, we gotta grow up now because we're bringing a new life into the world. After that happens, everything will be okay (except for the hundreds of lives we've already destroyed)!
Well, they come to the realization that they're assholes which is what you want, isn't it? :p

Well, they come to the realization that they're assholes which is what you want, isn't it? :p

I want them to
stop killing people and putting the world at risk for the sake of a no-personality alien girl. I want them to pull a Kenshin and owe up to their crimes, spending the rest of their lives helping people. I want Holland and Talho to die.

trejo

Seems to me like he doesn't want them to realize they're assholes. He wants them to suffer the consequences for all the asshole things they've already done.

Narag

Kara no Kyoukai 1

uh...
Why did no one in the hospital stop that girl from wheeling herself out?
This was weird. Watching it felt like I was flipping channels and landed on something while missing the beginning as what little introduction there was didn't particularly satisfy me. Consequently, I felt rather disconnected from the events of the film. Lovely soundtrack though.

o2lpUl.png

So that's where this is from.

dIsrQl.png

Should have just left this image as my impressions and been done with it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Kara no Kyoukai 1

uh...
This was weird. Watching it felt like I was flipping channels and landed on something while missing the beginning as what little introduction there was didn't particularly satisfy me. Consequently, I felt rather disconnected from the events of the film. Lovely soundtrack though.

gotta go fast

jbug617

Banned
Just got my first imported anime this week. Got the complete series Cross Game (Malaysia ver). Shocked they could fit 50 episodes in 2 discs with Eng subs.

Soma

Kara no Kyoukai 1

uh...
This was weird.

Haha I totally forgot about that part. Yeah that was kinda silly.

Man I need to watch the last two movies + the epilogue but I have no motivation to. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I want them to
stop killing people and putting the world at risk for the sake of a no-personality alien girl. I want them to pull a Kenshin and owe up to their crimes, spending the rest of their lives helping people. I want Holland and Talho to die.
Seems to me like he doesn't want them to realize they're assholes. He wants them to suffer the consequences for all the asshole things they've already done.
Indeed. lol

I suppose "Haters gonna hate" is appropriate here. :p

Haha I totally forgot about that part. Yeah that was kinda silly.

Man I need to watch the last two movies + the epilogue but I have no motivation to. :(

The 5th movie is the best one, so you aren't really missing much. The last film is kind of a mess and the epilogue is just some awful exposition explaining Shiki's personalities.

That's because while it's the first movie, chronologically it takes place much later. Personally it's not that great, the later movies are much better.

Also yeah, the OST is great, the ending themes are simply phenomenal
The music is probably my favorite thing about these films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom