• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

New Code:Breaker promo. This one is about Toki, the dude with the magnetism ability. Looks not bad.

Looks like it's tailor made for dtl.

Visually it looks like Fate/zero with better character art but the designs are still anime by that I mean uninteresting, the cg looks just as bad as f/z.

Am not into the pretty boys doing pretty boy things genre plus there's highschool in this and I haven't heard great things about this on the manga side, so am going to pass to ride on the magi and jojo train.

Not available in my region :(

Perhaps someone could summarise.

Just imagine fate/zero but with 2 eyed colored bishounen.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I expected something more :dtl to happen.

On the contrary, they're all quite disgusted by his presence, even when the dude is dropping truth bombs on their hypocrisy.

shinsen-subs_miracle_49lao.jpg

shinsen-subs_miracle_dcl7g.jpg

Jex

Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie

Even better the second time around.

That was a lot of fun. Goofy as hell, too.

9b9ys.png

Crystal Boy answers to no one. So Good.

It's disappointing that so few people have seen the Cobra movie.

To summarise, Space Adeventure Cobra: The Movie is 1982 anime movie directed by Dezaki. It stars Cobra, our slightly goofy action hero who is never seen without a cigar.
All we really know about him is that he's got a huge bounty on his head and he enjoys pursuing attractive looking women. Oh, and one of his arms is a gun. I guess. So I guess you could say he has some Lupin-esque characteristics.

Not that it really matters because this movie doesn't really have a very fleshed out story or any three-dimensional characters. It's just an excuse for a variety of well animated, cool looking action sequences that are strung together by a slightly bizarre plot involving kidnapping, betrayal and the power of love. It may also feature women on magical horses trying to force themselves onto Cobra.

Most of the...oddness that emerges in this movie is largely the result of Dezaki's love of heavy visual symbolism. Mirrors, reflections, things obscuring the camera and warping the lens etc. It's more restrained and nuanced than in, say, Goglo 13: The Professional but it stills present in quantities that you really don't see in your average 80's action anime. He really doesn't seem to care that Cobra is essentially pulpy sci-fi shlock, he still directs it like he directs everything else that he's ever worked on.

In case you some how missed all his other key visual calling cards, it's pretty hard to miss the way he uses colour. To summarise:

CobraMovie1.jpg
CobraMovie2.jpg

CobraMovie3.jpg
CobraMovie4.jpg

CobraMovie6.jpg
CobraMovie7.jpg

Gundam Wing 30

Im glad Heero has Quatre there to keep him under control on the right track. Its like each of the Gundam pilots have one with them who at least tries to keep their partner focused. I was actually glad to see
Relena again who know sits in some seat of power for the Sanc Kingdom, if she can allow Quatre and Heero to keep the country safe from the Romefeller Foundation, then I may start to warm up to her
. But Dorothy, hope she makes smart decisions and doesnt get in the way of the protagonists.

The Sushilegend school is the best method. Although avi -> MP4 is unnecessary

Though I prefer to use Ulead Gif Animator 5, even I have Photoshop CS6 here but Ulead Gif Animator is easier to use and faster.

Jex

And I'm just assuming Lafiel and Jinto are the main characters. lol

I don't really care, but I already saw Jinto blush during their first real meeting, so there's a part of me that's bracing for a Renton/Eureka-esque relationship.

That can't happen in Crest/Banner of the Stars though, because there isn't a single character who is as unlikeable as Renton.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 109

In this episode, Haruka and Michiru try their hardest to get rid of any goodwill they garnered with me in the past few episodes.

At least they finally got those pesky identities out of the way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Sushilegend school is the best method.

Though I prefer to use Ulead Gif Animator 5, even I have Photoshop CS6 here but Ulead Gif Animator is easier to use and faster. Although avi -> MP4 is unnecessary

Well my guide was written from a OS X perspective, though I will admit I found a method that works for me and stuck with it. Haven't really looked into what other applications are out there.

Jex

More importantly, isn't it kinda shitty?

Mad Pierrot is walking a very particular path. These kinds of things are unimportant to him.
It's aimed at women, but I don't think that there's a lot of overlap between that demographic and the train otaku demographic. The subject matter is niche enough that I get the feeling that it was far more interesting to the people involved in its creation than it was to the audience.

It's clearly meant to be educational on top of being a cheap bishounen vehicle, but the information and trivia included in each episode never builds on itself and ends up being really scattershot in a way that fails to create a meaningful groundwork of train knowledge for the uninitiated. I doubt that the show successfully got anyone interested in trains.
On the plus side, at least women are getting completely unrealistic portrayals of men to match up to the completely unrealistic portrayal of women found elsewhere.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
How come everyone seems to hate Minori?

Because she's by far the worst character, and therefore worst girl.

Or to actually be more specific,
the arc with Taiga's father is where I really started hating her, because she could have avoided the entire debacle with a 30 second conversation with Ryuuji.

Jex

Look, you're not going to like shit until they show Spoor, you have to watch until then.
I don't think that's necessarily true, most shows that have some kind of setting that requires exposition (science fiction, fantasy etc) tend to get more bearable once they get past the exposition that's often found at the start of such stories.

More over, I feel like you're going to experience in enjoying the series if you don't really care for the main pair of characters, considering that so much of the action revolves around them.
Jinto's the shittiest protagonist ever. He's like a leaf being carried along a river, the plastic bag from American Beauty being whisked around by the wind.
Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. There are many, many protagonists in anime worse than him.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I see. Sadly, I lack photoshop.

I guess I'll sit down with all this over the weekend.

I have a lot of success with a very simple method that involves VirtualDubMod and VirtualDub, for which I believe that this is the tutorial that I used. Its only weakness is that, due to the age of the programs used, it's unable to render anything encoded in hi10p, so you need always to be mindful of your source format.

On the plus side, at least women are getting completely unrealistic portrayals of men to match up to the completely unrealistic portrayal of women found elsewhere.

I'm all about equality.

Sometimes, I'm actually tempted to watch more bishounen anime because it's strangely comforting to know that men can be panderbait too. Maybe I'll get in some Hakuouki when I'm feeling particularly disgusted with my own willingness to be pandered to.

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection

I wish I didn't write this franchise off after the Battlestar Galactica-esque live action movie, but I'm on board now.

Pun intended, right?

Anyway, I guess I better blow your mind right now by telling you that the original Battlestar Galactica was actually based of Space Battleship Yamato or as it was known in the USA, Star Blazers. Recently, of course, the live action Space Battelship Yamato was based off the re-imagined Battlestar Galacticca and the circle was finally completed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pun intended, right?

Anyway, I guess I better blow your mind right now by telling you that the original Battlestar Galactica was actually based of Space Battleship Yamato or as it was known in the USA, Star Blazers. Recently, of course, the live action Space Battelship Yamato was based off the re-imagined Battlestar Galacticca and the circle was finally completed.

POW! Full circle indeed. It makes so much sense though - both are basically space pilgrimages with carrier battleships blowing shit up and having wacky space adventures. lol

(Although, didn't the BSG guys sue Lucas (or was it the other way around?) at some point as well?)

Narag

Pun intended, right?

Wow that's crazy

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 110

I think I need these again:

3CzKn.gif

wMZsp.gif

ztt9F.gif

I finished the series! A perfect ending. I don't even need to watch the 17 bonus episodes
now that the 2 villains are dead. Yay.

This dub of Gundam 00...
Trowa
Inuyasha
Duo's VA is every no name character
Relena's VA isn't annoying as Sumeragi

Setsuna's VA is Quatre's..... The Fuuu?!

After five episodes im rooting against Celestial Being/Gundams.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 10:

:sdburton in my Miracle Train? QUICK SOMEBODY PULL THE EMERGENCY BREAK, WE'RE GONNA DERAIL.

"Miracle Train I have a problem. I'm an actress in a new crime drama but the director thinks that I suck at action scenes and won't let me do any."

"Don't just play the part, be the part."

"oh cool I never realized that acting like a detective involved acting like a detective. Thanks Miracle Train!"

Pun intended, right?

that makes no sense because Star Blazers aired from 1979 to 1984

but Battlestar Galactica aired from 1978 to 1980

OceanBlue

I have a lot of success with a very simple method that involves VirtualDubMod and VirtualDub, for which I believe that this is the tutorial that I used. Its only weakness is that, due to the age of the programs used, it's unable to render anything encoded in hi10p, so you need always to be mindful of your source format.
This post in the "How to make GIF" thread should help you out. It follows a similar idea, but you're loading the file through FFmpegSource instead of Directshow. FFmpegSource can handle hi10p files.

jman2050

Because she's by far the worst character, and therefore worst girl.

Or to actually be more specific,
the arc with Taiga's father is where I really started hating her, because she could have avoided the entire debacle with a 30 second conversation with Ryuuji.

The kicker is that it's easy to think that's just dumb teenager doing dumb things, except
she implies or outright states (can't remember which) that she withheld information on purpose out of spite. So she wasn't stupid, just an asshole!

Not that I think she's a bad character mind you and she has her good qualities too. I think that's one reason I like the characters so much, they're all fatally flawed in some way and we aren't expected to just brush them aside as trivial.

Taruranto

Pun intended, right?

But Did
God
do it in Space Battleship Yamato ending too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom