• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When does it start plumbing ridiculous naval warfare cliches? :p I have no idea; you'll have to ask Hito or Lafiel, I suppose. I want to say there's a ship-to-ship battle in the first few episodes, but maybe I'm misremembering and/or confusing it with Infinite Ryvius or something stupid like that.
So the crux of the show is really about some guy named Spoor being a giant dick to other people? lol

Jarmel

Banned
The series has pacing issues outside of those episodes. The first half of the series is kind of a mess.

I actually rewatched the first 10 relatively recently(in prep for AO) and they actually flow together a lot better than I thought. The first 13 is the part that usually gets the most criticism and it's not that bad actually. A lot of it is world-building. Something that Xam'd ignored and suffered as a consequence.

cajunator

Banned
BYa7hl.jpg

So true ..i dislike that kind of haircur ,especially when done to male characters ..

---------------
Denpa_Onna_to_Seishun_Otoko_-_05

I refuse to believe this character is 40 years old ..

This is impossible ..i don't want to believe it

Best 40 year old ever.

Amagami SS+ SP5

*Swish Swish*
*Shake Shake*

I approve of this.

Just take this moment to be thankful that you haven't had to endure the torture of several hundred episodes of Bleach.

oh now i remember who he is ...
i stopped bleach ( anime at ep 75 ) and continued to read the manga only ( anime went into filler hell and i was tired of bleach as a whole ).

i remember hating him while reading the manga too. there was a moment where i rooted for him ( during his flashback ) but nothing more .. To me he is one of the useless characters ..

i agree that he is "ok" with that hairstyle ..but nothing more...

One Piece 24

The beginning of this arc was rather boring, but with this episode I'm starting to understand the appeal of the series. Mihawk is the first villain(?) who genuinely impressed me, and the larger scope opened up by him and the descriptions of the Grand Line has me intrigued. "We've got to become stronger!" is a quintessential battle shounen motivation, but the fight between Mihawk and Zoro executed it well. I'm also curious to see what the connection between Nami and Arlong is. If these narrative hooks will be successfully built upon, I may be able to stick with this for the long haul, at least in manga format.

main character looks like the biggest douche ever.

Main character is the black haired dude, not the one featured prominently in that PV. The one in that is actually a pretty alright guy.

And yeah, he is an incredibly massive douche that kills people getting in his way without a second thought, yet is still portrayed sympathetically and tsundere.

Taruranto

Guess who still in the poll and is 3th?
I'm surprised Kirito and his 2 years worth of semen aren't first yet. Probably next month!

At least Rider still second. Though our legitimate King (Gilgamesh, if you thought "Saber" fuck off) is almost out!

I'll leave the female poll commentary to whatever cares.

Main character is the black haired dude, not the one featured prominently in that PV. The one in that is actually a pretty alright guy.

And yeah, he is an incredibly massive douche that kills people getting in his way without a second thought, yet is still portrayed sympathetically and tsundere.

Well if he's tsundere, then of course it is ok!

survivor

Banned
I'm surprised Kirito and his 2 years worth of semen aren't first yet. Probably next month!

At least Rider still second. Though our legitimate King (Gilgamesh, if you thought "Saber" fuck off) is almost out!

Who is #9 in the female poll?

Houtarou ftw and Kurokocchi hanging on to ninth, go Seirin.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Everyone's supposed to hate Holland at first. For a large portion of the show's run he's
a self-centered manchild who's been given too much authority over a small group of people
, after all.
I dunno, I have to imagine some people thought he was cool right from the beginning.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-2

Occasionally cheesy dialogue, mediocre at best CG, fugly uniforms...for all the faults I could find with the first two episodes, I was somehow still entertained. Maybe because the premise, while not original, is still intriguing. That or I'm just easy to please, I dunno.

Occasionally cheesy dialogue, mediocre at best CG, fugly uniforms...for all the faults I could find with the first two episodes, I was somehow still entertained. Maybe because the premise, while not original, is still intriguing. That or I'm just easy to please, I dunno.

Surely the premise was original at the time the series was made, an odd thing to ding a remake on.

Defuser

Kirito is steadily climbing up. I'll give it a few more episodes before he can dethrone Houtarou.

Kids on the Slope 2

While I didn't warm to the silly fight scene or the developing love pyramid, I thought the musical scene was pretty magical. I dislike the odd, fuzzy (?) way characters are drawn in anything but closeup, and I still dislike some of the designs even in close-up - namely that one girl, yes, HER, you know which one I'm talking about. Otherwise it looks pretty bland, but fine. I don't really care for any of the characters yet, but am willing to let them grow on me. I noticed significantly less fujoshibait here than in the last one- which is nice, because it was pretty distracting last time around.

The "fujoshibait" bromance in Kids on the Slope is better than the heterosexual romance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, it's nothing particularly special, but it's one of those sum of its parts shows. Like Time Jam.

Surely the premise was original at the time the series was made, an odd thing to ding a remake on.
Space aliens trying to destroy Earth isn't that new though.

Those people were wrong.
Stop harshing my buzz, brah.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 12:

"oh hey there's been a loli in a pink conductor uniform hanging around the train for the past twelve episodes, did anyone bother to ask why she's even here?

...no?"

So, gambling on correlation actually equaling causation, the train bishies search for a connection between a sudden recurrence of the RAINBOW AURA OF DOOM phenomenon from episode seven and Akari's presence, which the bishies in their infinite collective curiosity never once questioned.

Also something something if the RAINBOW AURA OF DOOM keeps happening then everyone's gonna die something something because that bottomless abyss of intrigue and mystery the Masked Conductor says so.

As it turns out, Akari suffered a bout of amnesia when it was her turn to board the Miracle Train long ago, and, in a pragmatic but undoubtedly really awkward solution, she decided to live on the same train as a bunch of lonely, hormonal dudes. Is.........is this hobo moe?

Akari's only memories were of her own name and the station from which she boarded the Miracle Train, and so the bishies attempt to retrace her steps from the station in hopes that some visual cue restores her memory. This is largely unsuccessful until the end of the episode, at which point she
SUDDENLY BEGINS GLOWING AND TRANSFORMS INTO AN ADULT WOMAN FROM A LOLI. WHAT?! AKARI IS EVOLVING?
Episode end. looooooooooooool. This finale is going to be something else.

One Piece 24

The beginning of this arc was rather boring, but with this episode I'm starting to understand the appeal of the series. Mihawk is the first villain(?) who genuinely impressed me, and the larger scope opened up by him and the descriptions of the Grand Line has me intrigued. "We've got to become stronger!" is a quintessential battle shounen motivation, but the fight between Mihawk and Zoro executed it well. I'm also curious to see what the connection between Nami and Arlong is. If these narrative hooks will be successfully built upon, I may be able to stick with this for the long haul, at least in manga format.

Yeah, Mihawk is the first time it actually feels like there are legitimate threats in the series; that there's a whole world out there beyond East Blue that aren't filled with incompetent marine mooks and weakish pirates able to be easily beat up by a 17 year old rubber boy. That sense of escalation is one of the main appeals to the series IMO, and it's something handled very well with few asspulls if any once the crew finally does face off against incredibly powerful enemies. And it's not just powerful enemies that escalates, but also plenty of political intrigue, the state of the world, a fleshed out and serious history, and just an all around fleshed out lore that dwarfs plenty of other massive stories.

Honestly, this may turn out better than expected if your reaction now is intrigue rather than what it was before. Of course I can't promise anything obviously.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Taruranto

Star Driver 22 - 25 (end)

Really enjoyed all of Star Driver and am baffled why I kept it unwatched for so long. The play episode in this set was a really nice change of pace and actually really emotional in it for Columna and Crace. I should probably find if someone penned a fanfic off of it. Regardless, the remaining episodes were a great ride in friendship drama and so many colorful lights and sounds. The two ending episodes definitely rank up there for to me for one of the most memorable ending experiences.
And leading up to it with Sugata going to Kiraboshi, and the class president, and then just Samekeh (23 had the best team up moment for Sugata and Takuto glorious eccentric tau missle), and Head and all of the key members of Kiraboshi to that out of the world ending moment of Sugata and Takuto, it was really good (the black and white moment too is unforgettable). The emotional aspect was well done, I got a bit teary eyed when Sugata was gonna take and seal it away, sacrificing himself, but thankfully, Wako and Takuto!
. Ill probably rewatch it all this fall in one or two settings just to relive it.

The music was a high point with all the songs, the first song was the most memorable one with all is still in monochrome, and then the final one introduced was the second favorite but they were all good. Most characters were well done that I actually kind of liked Wako there and Takuto, Takeshi, Takeo, Sugata, Reiji, were my favorites. All of the fight scenes were really a blast and the out of zero time stuff never felt old. The school setting was just how I enjoy it in mangas I read. I loved the personalities of Sugata and Takuto, they complemented each other well, had good designs, memorable comedy moments, and I liked how they both almost mirrored each other/and thought of each other when separated. Takuto and Sugata were a blast living together dueling and the numerous bath scenes, I'd give this 10/10.

Sub quality on Bandai's blu rays was really quality probably a benchmark was set in typeface and readiblity for dvd and blu ray subs going on. It makes funimations subs look like garbage. Too bad they arent doing more anime releases as I think it was really quality for the $50 for 26 episodes. Only flaw was when insert song lyrics was going on as well as dialogue, so two lines of subs, they would keep flashing.

Will you check Utena now, DTL?
It's like SD, only good!

B8qyU.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Will you check Utena now, DTL?
It's like SD, only good!

Female protagonist, he won't last five minutes, hahah.

It's like the first lesson on animation training. Who seriously thought it was a good idea to accept this?

I think that they accidentally mixed up the "making of" bonus footage that was supposed to go on the BDs with the real footage.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was actually liking his portrayal until
he killed the only 2 likable characters in the show.
It was damn effective at making him out to be a manchild jealous of a 14 year old.
Well, it's not like
Ray Charles
were exactly perfect either.

Oh god you're right.
I cannot believe i committed this blasphemy.
I shall beat myself in the face upon my return home.
For shame.

It was kind of refreshing to have a harem MC who has a backbone and knows what he wants.
Yeah, that's a pretty rare thing to find in anime.
Eh, he's one of many "All talk, no cock" characters. Surrounded by girls who want him, all he can think about is other girls. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom