• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I would think you hadn't seen much of Accel World.

Dude. I've been keeping up with it since day 1. Also this is the percentage chart of why AW is cool and good. 95% Kuroyukihime. 3% Sky Raker. 1.5% Fights. 0.5% The Ability to Hate Chiyu.

wonzo

Banned
iblqiL9FU0JX1Z.gif

And with that, I hope you all enjoyed this weeks descent into madness. I highly recommend everyone watch the OP for this show so they can somewhat grasp the horrors that await those that dare to watch this... thing.

Cwarrior

One Piece's style is great if only because its quite unique
and that is something anime overall is severely lacking as a medium

it doesn't look very anime it looks like it's own thing.

I love the soldiers reaction to that dart, I feel like am watching history in the making right now, both for animegaf and for anime.

Is this the glorious future duckroll spoke of?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I dis like One Piece's art style a lot. Idk why but I absolutely abhor it. Ironically, at least to cosmic, I LOVE Pandora Hearts' art style. So good......

Honestly, it is possible to make Oda's designs look good (as in the aforementioned OP Movie 6), but these early TV episodes are doing a very poor job of that.

Yeah, and I think it's probably the biggest barrier of entry for the series (with the exception of length maybe). When someone showed my the 5th OP (when the art style shifted) while I was stilll far behind that point, it blew my mind and made me want to get there as fast as possible.

Uchip

Banned
Honestly, it is possible to make Oda's designs look good (as in the aforementioned OP Movie 6), but these early TV episodes are doing a very poor job of that.

Strong World capitalized on the designs far more than movie 6
its actually one of the better looking anime movies in general

Well, there are at least two most-likely-arbitrary original airing order dates - one for the UK, one for the US. They weren't based on production order or anything. Then there are any number of unofficial fan ordering schemes, with the only basis generally being the original order McGoohan had in mind for the seven episodes over which the series was supposed to take place before it done got blown up to 17 for reasons of salability in international markets. (Also, the first and the last two episodes never change, for evident reasons.)

This website, for example, has a couple of neat ideas for episode ordering, based on whether you want to consider a logical progression of the series based on what plot movements can be observed, a chronological progression based on dates and other clues left in each episode, or a psychological progression based on #6's mental state vis-a-vis his struggles with the village. They come up with a list that combines the three. This is but one of many.
Silly me, thinking there would just be the broadcast order and the "real" order. That's quite the rabbit hole. Now I want to rewatch it in either the psychological or unified sequences. They sound neat.
Damn it, why did you have to post that? I was planning on watching The Prisoner relatively soon, now I'm not going to know what order to watch it in. :\ This shit is more complicated than Haruhi.
The Prisoner is extremely awesome. As long as you watch the first episode first and the last two episodes last, you should still enjoy it.

Dude. I've been keeping up with it since day 1. Also this is the percentage chart of why AW is cool and good. 95% Kuroyukihime. 3% Sky Raker. 1.5% Fights. 0.5% The Ability to Hate Chiyu.

I might give the fights and Sky Raker a little more credit, but yeah, pretty much.

Jex

POW! Full circle indeed. It makes so much sense though - both are basically space pilgrimages with carrier battleships blowing shit up and having wacky space adventures. lol

(Although, didn't the BSG guys sue Lucas (or was it the other way around?) at some point as well?)

Apparently Lucas sued them, which is where they claimed that they weren't inspired by Star Wars, they were inspired by Space Battleship Yamato.
Your taste in characters is as bad as macodin!

That's the worst burn I've ever taken.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 13 (END):

okay, uhh........what?

Time paradoxes, eeeeeevil mind control, and palpable desperation to come up with something, anything, that could infuse the last episode with the drama and intensity of shit getting real even if none of this was what the show was ever even about and none of it makes a fucking ounce of sense anyway. Did a show about anthropomorphized train stations broing it up in a train car and giving bad life advice to women really need a sudden existential threat and villainous betrayal in the final episode? This was by far some of the most unnecessary, hackneyed, poorly-executed and generally incomprehensible endgame plot escalation I've ever witnessed in any anime, and I've seen my fair share of really terrible endings.

Basically,
something something the train is going to be destroyed because it's going back and forth in time something something Akari got on the train when it was still in its test phase so the technology wasn't perfect and something something time split something need to erase her memories or they're all going to die something Conductor-san suddenly has EVIL RED GLOWY EYES something subdues the train bishies with psychic powers when they try to protect Akari something something magical white glowing light of PASSION fixes everything at the last second something everybody says their goodbyes to Akari

Somehow, while technically explaining everything, this explained absolutely nothing. That's pretty much what happens when shit's made up as it goes along with the act of going out with a bang prioritized over the actual content of the ending. Even among
deus ex machinas
things are suddenly okay because YOU WANTED THEM TO BE OKAY HARD ENOUGH
is really really freaking lazy.

Bad, bad show; no redeeming qualities whatsoever. You've been warned.

Jex

Well, that mere fact that he changes doesn't make him not unlikeable. It may mean he isn't shallow, or steretypical, but he can be a well-developed character and still be perfectly unlikeable.

Essentially, this. You can be a character that changes over time and never, ever become a likeable character.

There are shows with far worse characters who mature into actually likeable characters, such as in The Twelve Kingdoms, but that's not how I feel about Renton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom