• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Guess who still in the poll and is 3th?
I'm surprised Kirito and his 2 years worth of semen aren't first yet. Probably next month!

At least Rider still second. Though our legitimate King (Gilgamesh, if you thought "Saber" fuck off) is almost out!

I'll leave the female poll commentary to whatever cares.

Who does Mayaka have to kill to get on that list?

Nafe

How many episodes of Panty and Stocking did he endure through?

Surprisingly, according to his MAL account, he watched every episode. Unsurprisingly he gave it a rating of 2/10.

From the impressions he posted I thought he would have dropped it after the first episode. Maybe he's just another masochist amongst the AnimeGaf crowd.

Jex

We must have very different views on what a "logical conclusion" looks like.

Hey, if you sleep with all the girls in a relatively small environment something is probably going to go wrong at some point! Perhaps they take it a little bit too far, but that's how you get some attention from the audience.

Dresden

:kayos

Chiyu = Niko > All(not including cripple-chan, since I haven't seen her yet)

It's hard to like kuroyukihimesenpai when so many other people do... ditto for Niko.

Chiyu sucks so she's out of the running. Sky Raker is total bandwagon. I think I'll go for (spoilers for l8r)
Ash Roller.

Jex

I just finished watching Shiki after a friend of mine had recommended it. I didn't think it was too bad.
I don't think i finished Shiki. It kinda got too slow for me.

A good proportion of people watched back in 2010 when it originally aired. It was the source of some fairly interesting and lengthy debates about characters and their actions given the situations they found themselves in. Looking back, I may have enjoyed those discussions and arguments more than the show itself because I found the pacing to be quite painful during the first half. Yes, it's important to establish tone and setting and pace before the story can progress but they went overboard with that.

Re: Cutie Honey end

69mAt.jpg

How sweet.

Awesome finale. Once again, it was hard for my eyes to keep up at points since there was just so much shit happening. This is such a fantastic modernization of the first magical girl anime ever, that I bet Go Nagai was super happy with it.

1dB2Z.jpg

Badass walk (those are supposed to be bullet-like things zipping past her)

Even ignoring the art style, this sure did have a lot of Go Nagai-isms. The over exaggerated ecchi (though not on the same level as Meramera), the cops being portrayed as children, even the plot being more than it initially seems.

I don't have much experience with the franchise before this, so I'm not sure if the villain's motivation has been used before in this, but I thought it was a very well done
"other people cause problems, so the world should be one"
motivation. It even brought up
merging
and portrayed it in an unusually negative light (as it's always seen as a good thing). I thought that was cool too since I always kind of saw it as some kind of identity dilemma plot point that way too much fiction gets away with without ever really addressing.

Then we got the final fight. Not really much to say about it other than it was incredibly well choreographed and animated. This is the kind of stuff that wouldn't be out of place in say, Panty and Stocking. Really cool stuff.

Jex

Mind explaining why?

I never found anything interesting or endearing about Renton as a character. Or Eureka. Or Holland. There aren't many members of that cast that I have any kind of interest in or felt any connection or affinity too beyond Anemone and Dominic.

Nafe

Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 13 (END):
okay, uhh........what?

I kind of wish there was more episodes of Miracle Train as your impressions were quite entertaining to read.

Those fellows sounded like some of the worst advice givers you could meet. Although the persons they were supposed to help seemed pretty daft as well, so maybe they were just playing with them. It seems perhaps to be a combination of both.

trejo

I never found anything interesting or endearing about Renton as a character. Or Eureka. Or Holland. There aren't many members of that cast that I have any kind of interest in or felt any connection or affinity too beyond Anemone and Dominic.

Yeah well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 13 (END):

okay, uhh........what?

Time paradoxes, eeeeeevil mind control, and palpable desperation to come up with something, anything, that could infuse the last episode with the drama and intensity of shit getting real even if none of this was what the show was ever even about and none of it makes a fucking ounce of sense anyway. Did a show about anthropomorphized train stations broing it up in a train car and giving bad life advice to women really need a sudden existential threat and villainous betrayal in the final episode? This was by far some of the most unnecessary, hackneyed, poorly-executed and generally incomprehensible endgame plot escalation I've ever witnessed in any anime, and I've seen my fair share of really terrible endings.

Basically,
something something the train is going to be destroyed because it's going back and forth in time something something Akari got on the train when it was still in its test phase so the technology wasn't perfect and something something time split something need to erase her memories or they're all going to die something Conductor-san suddenly has EVIL RED GLOWY EYES something subdues the train bishies with psychic powers when they try to protect Akari something something magical white glowing light of PASSION fixes everything at the last second something everybody says their goodbyes to Akari

Somehow, while technically explaining everything, this explained absolutely nothing. That's pretty much what happens when shit's made up as it goes along with the act of going out with a bang prioritized over the actual content of the ending. Even among
deus ex machinas
things are suddenly okay because YOU WANTED THEM TO BE OKAY HARD ENOUGH
is really really freaking lazy.

Bad, bad show; no redeeming qualities whatsoever. You've been warned.

Hope it was worth it. lol

Uchip

Banned

I was big on skating back in the day, trying to get sponsored
The cast of casuals who love their (very) extreme sport appealed on that level.
they weren't particularly interesting, but that's also part of why they were easier to relate to.

fuck animes that have designated personality types and static characters

NewFresh

Hey, if you sleep with all the girls in a relatively small environment something is probably going to go wrong at some point! Perhaps they take it a little bit too far, but that's how you get some attention from the audience.

This, I agree with. Saying logical conclusion seemed like a bit of a leap; however, I see what you were getting at now. There being repercussions is the logical conclusion, not what those repercussions might entail.

Jex

Everything on the package looks legit from the stickers and packaging.

Azqx3gZCUAEpoUS.jpg

It's not unusual for bootlegs to have some work put into their packaging, unfortunately. I have no idea who the official distributors are for that series, but I find 50 episodes on 2 discus to be an absurd number.

cajunator

Banned
It's not unusual for bootlegs to have some work put into their packaging, unfortunately. I have no idea who the official distributors are for that series, but I find 50 episodes on 2 discus to be an absurd number.

Yeah.
Licensing Companies do not stuff that many episodes on one or two discs no matter what their budget is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I kind of wish there was more episodes of Miracle Train as your impressions were quite entertaining to read.

Those fellows sounded like some of the worst advice givers you could meet. Although the persons they were supposed to help seemed pretty daft as well, so maybe they were just playing with them. It seems perhaps to be a combination of both.

If I didn't have the knowledge that I could reasonably expect to knock this series out in a day I would never have started it, lol.

You're right about the end result being a team effort of stupidity between the train bishies and the women, though. If the terrible advice from the men wasn't able to play off of the terrible decision-making of the women, the end result wouldn't have been nearly as ludicrous.

Hope it was worth it. lol

I feel cheated. I was promised #gamechanger but ended up getting #lamechanger. You should be ashamed!

I've owned bootlegs that have better packaging than the real thing. You'd be surprised what's out there.

Jex

Yeah well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

It is. For me, barely having any interesting or likeable characters is one of Eureka Seven's biggest problems, the large problem being the shows pacing.

If I'm supposed to follow the exploits of characters over the course 51 episodes then it would help if I felt something for them in the slightest, that I cared whether they lived or died, that I was moved by their trumps and their tragedies. Sadly, none of this was the case during my experience with the show. Unlike, say, cosmicblizzard, I didn't hate Renton but he wasn't anyone that I cared about in the slightest.

Outlaw Star 1

Love the silly gunfire transition. Everything else is wack.

naked girls in suitcases and other stuff... you sure this was on toonami back in the day?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel cheated. I was promised #gamechanger but ended up getting #lamechanger. You should be ashamed!

Hey, they challenged the very premise of the show! #gamechanger by definition! lol

Also, due to Space Battleship Yamato, I've been watching random episodes of Babylon 5 season 4. Man, I still don't know if it was a good idea or bad idea to let JMS write every single episode in season 3, 4, 5. lol

Jex

When does it start plumbing ridiculous naval warfare cliches? :p I have no idea; you'll have to ask Hito or Lafiel, I suppose. I want to say there's a ship-to-ship battle in the first few episodes, but maybe I'm misremembering and/or confusing it with Infinite Ryvius or something stupid like that.

Nah, I'm sure firehawk12 would appreciate that Infinite Ryvius goes for submarine warfare, rather than standard naval warfare. There's even an in-universe explanation because something has happened to space which alters it's structure, meaning that different regions have different 'pressures' and if you sink too low your ship will implode.

Also, due to Space Battleship Yamato, I've been watching random episodes of Babylon 5 season 4. Man, I still don't know if it was a good idea or bad idea to let JMS write every single episode in season 3, 4, 5.

Considering that Season 4 of Babylon 5 is my favorite season of any TV show ever, I'd say it was a very good idea.

cajunator

Banned
Outlaw Star 1

Love the silly gunfire transition. Everything else is wack.

naked girls in suitcases and other stuff... you sure this was on toonami back in the day?

Outlaw star, vandread, Tylor, nadesico, cowboy bebop, kiddy grade... Space anime used to be awesome. what the fuck happened?

Aniplex did a great job on the Oreimo re-release. Great disc art.

Aniplex does a great job with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom