• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

Eh, he's one of many "All talk, no cock" characters. Surrounded by girls who want him, all he can think about is other girls. :p

Oh... Well that's too bad. I might still watch once i'm done with komugi which i have no idea why i haven't finished yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm pretty sure Utena herself is manlier than 90% of the male characters he likes.
Not enough penis.

Oh... Well that's too bad. I might still watch once i'm done with komugi which i have no idea why i haven't finished yet.
Seriously, Makoto from School Days is the only guy who can take advantage of his harem. Even Juinichi had to remain monogamous while dating 10 girls!

I still don't see how you can like those two psychopaths so much.

They were sympathetic while also not being total assholes. Of course in the end, they just felt like plot devices to make Renton even more miserable after getting a taste of a life that wasn't run by overgrown, no-empathy children.

Well, it's not like
Ray Charles
were exactly perfect either.

They weren't, but I thought their flaws were more justified than the selfish asshatery of Gekkostate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime should have more nice boats.
Cross Days. 2013. Believe!

They were sympathetic while also not being total assholes. Of course in the end, they just felt like plot devices to make Renton even more miserable after getting a taste of a life that wasn't run by overgrown, no-empathy children.

They weren't, but I thought their flaws were more justified than the selfish asshatery of Gekkostate.
They're all terrible in their own way.

One Piece 25

The limited animation Toei uses in this show can be trying at times.

1WzA8.jpg

This is one of the least attractive deployments of the flashback blur I've seen.

Yeah, Mihawk is the first time it actually feels like there are legitimate threats in the series; that there's a whole world out there beyond East Blue that aren't filled with incompetent marine mooks and weakish pirates able to be easily beat up by a 17 year old rubber boy. That sense of escalation is one of the main appeals to the series IMO, and it's something handled very well with few asspulls if any once the crew finally does face off against incredibly powerful enemies. And it's not just powerful enemies that escalates, but also plenty of political intrigue, the state of the world, a fleshed out and serious history, and just an all around fleshed out lore that dwarfs plenty of other massive stories.

Honestly, this may turn out better than expected if your reaction now is intrigue rather than what it was before. Of course I can't promise anything obviously.

It does seem like One Piece takes the JRPG approach to world building, where the protagonist's starting location happens to be the weakest place on the planet and the enemies steadily level up as he hops from place to place. I'm down with that. Political intrigue is not something I'd expect, given how vague the series so far has been on the setting, so I'm curious to see what that actually entails.

[Kids on the Slope]

Ouch. This sounds painful.

And I'd rather have a legitimate portrayal of male friendship, or an actual homosexual romance, than some awkward and embarrassing attempt to blend the two in order to cater to a wider (or more particular, respectively) audience. I have hopes it'll continue to tilt in the direction of the former, though I think I find the central friendship a bit hard to buy in the first place, tbqh.

Honestly, I don't find Sentarou and Kaoru's relationship to be designed with much of an eye towards fujoshi, unlike, say, the male relationships in Natsume's Book of Friends. It's a legitimate friendship, not just pretty boys casting longing glances at each other, and it's the strongest element of the show outside the performance scenes. Now there is a genuine pretty boy who shows up later, and the melodrama that results from his involvement as well as the tangled love triangles and late-game plot twists prevents the central relationship from developing as naturally as I would like. Based on your comments so far, I have a feeling you won't like where this ends up going.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Kids on the Slope]

Honestly, I don't find Sentarou and Kaoru's relationship to be designed with much of an eye towards fujoshi, unlike, say, the male relationships in Natsume's Book of Friends. It's a legitimate friendship, not just pretty boys casting longing glances at each other, and it's the strongest element of the show outside the performance scenes. Now there is a genuine pretty boy who shows up later, and the melodrama that results from his involvement as well as the tangled love triangles and late-game plot twists prevents the central relationship from developing as naturally as I would like. Based on your comments so far, I have a feeling you won't like where this ends up going.

They have finger sex in the first episode though.

I would be more excited for summer days but this is good news too.
Not news. Just hope.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
One Piece 24

The beginning of this arc was rather boring, but with this episode I'm starting to understand the appeal of the series. Mihawk is the first villain(?) who genuinely impressed me, and the larger scope opened up by him and the descriptions of the Grand Line has me intrigued. "We've got to become stronger!" is a quintessential battle shounen motivation, but the fight between Mihawk and Zoro executed it well. I'm also curious to see what the connection between Nami and Arlong is. If these narrative hooks will be successfully built upon, I may be able to stick with this for the long haul, at least in manga format.

There's hope for you to really enjoy the Arlong Park arc if you liked anything at all in Baratie. Mihawk's cameo in this arc is the very first thing in the series that indicates that there may be more to One Piece than goofy, non-threatening gimmick villains, sleepy island village locales, and minor characters that are discarded the moment that they outlive their immediate usefulness. Arlong Park shatters these notions entirely, so if you're seeing glimmers of what you already wanted out of the series, you should go into the next arc with greater enthusiasm.

One Piece 25

The limited animation Toei uses in this show can be trying at times.

This is one of the least attractive deployments of the flashback blur I've seen.

Early One Piece with its washed-out early digital art is fairly ugly. This compounded with the polarizing art style makes it completely understandable as to why many are so resistant to even try the series.

You're killing my laptop, wonzo.

[Kids on the Slope]

They have finger sex in the first episode though.

By my use of the word "much", I did intend to imply that there were some fujoshi-like elements. But I think even those, such as the emotional charge surrounding Kaoru's first encounter with Sentarou, are due more to the feminine perspective of the author than a desire to appeal to female otaku, which the series as a whole is not particularly friendly to.

[One Piece]

Early One Piece with its washed-out early digital art is fairly ugly. This compounded with the polarizing art style makes it completely understandable as to why many are so resistant to even try the series.

I'm not a fan of Oda's character designs, and certainly not a fan of how they look in the TV show so far. Movie 6 has vastly superior designs.

Cwarrior

You're killing my laptop, wonzo.

[One Piece]

I'm not a fan of Oda's character designs, and certainly not a fan of how they look in the TV show so far. Movie 6 has vastly superior designs.

Movie 6 designs where inferior to how the tv anime(water 7 arc) looked during it's release, so there was a lot of fan backlash when it was released.

What they did was remove all detail off the surface of the characters and over simplifying them into basic stick figure like shapes.

[One Piece]

They either grow on you or you get used to them and find them merely tolerable. I'm squarely in the former camp. Oda's art style does go through some subtle shifts and the anime changes it entirely. I'm more a fan of the newer look. I think I'd actually have trouble going back and seeing the earlier stuff.

They either grow on you or you get used to them and find them merely tolerable. I'm squarely in the former camp. Oda's art style does go through some subtle shifts and the anime changes it entirely. I'm more a fan of the newer look. I think I'd actually have trouble going back and seeing the earlier stuff.

problem i got with the anime is stuff is quite inconsistent, and oda's art doesn't seem to look right at certain angles or during curtain animations.

I guess it's a similar issue i've had with ippo anime vs manga. Ippo looks way 'bigger' in the anime.

Uchip

Banned
One Piece's style is great if only because its quite unique
and that is something anime overall is severely lacking as a medium

Well, there are at least two most-likely-arbitrary original airing order dates - one for the UK, one for the US. They weren't based on production order or anything. Then there are any number of unofficial fan ordering schemes, with the only basis generally being the original order McGoohan had in mind for the seven episodes over which the series was supposed to take place before it done got blown up to 17 for reasons of salability in international markets. (Also, the first and the last two episodes never change, for evident reasons.)

This website, for example, has a couple of neat ideas for episode ordering, based on whether you want to consider a logical progression of the series based on what plot movements can be observed, a chronological progression based on dates and other clues left in each episode, or a psychological progression based on #6's mental state vis-a-vis his struggles with the village. They come up with a list that combines the three. This is but one of many.
Damn it, why did you have to post that? I was planning on watching The Prisoner relatively soon, now I'm not going to know what order to watch it in. :\ This shit is more complicated than Haruhi.
One Piece's style is great if only because its quite unique
and that is something anime overall is severely lacking as a medium
But it copied Fairy Tail.

Good thing I watched the episode, thats like litrally every scene there for kingdom...
I remember being shocked when he did scale the wall and Diao rising to the occasion and actually landing his dart in someone, nervous at first but when the time demanded he did it, good job.

Gundam Wing 31

Relena tries to have good plans, but well, just isnt good enough at them. Fortunately Heero and Quatre are smart.
Good fight even if smallish, hopefully Quatre gets his suit back, as well as Duo, Wufei, and Trowa come back

Eh guess, Ill try Eureka Seven tomorrow now that Im done with Star Driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom