• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its have same appeal to the likes TRC, XXXholic or Black Butler which I'm guessing you don't interested in those too.

PH does pick up late though.

Yeah, and it's done much better in those. Pandora Hearts is essentially Black Butler lite. It's the kind of thing when an aspiring shoujo artist tries their hand at shounen. Sometimes they're able to at least partially pull it off like Akira Amano or Yana Toboso. Others aren't so good at it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Guess you didn't see my post from yesterday.

Oh... I must've missed it. Sorry. Do you know what page it was on? I didn't go back and read the pages cuz I was driving and stuff.

Yeah, and it's done much better in those. Pandora Hearts is essentially Black Butler lite. It's the kind of thing when an aspiring shoujo artist tries their hand at shounen. Sometimes they're able to at least partially pull it off like Akira Amano or Yana Toboso. Others aren't so good at it.

I don't know if I consider PH shounen though. Meh, idk. Anyway, I like the overall plot and the intricacy of it which is why I consider PH in high esteem.

cajunator

Banned
Well, she is AO's secret best character.

Oh hell yes she is!

1343478748930g2e29.jpg

like Oreimo but without the incest

Will watch.

LTTP, as usual, but here are my favorite anime (yes, I know I'm cheating):

Bebop is number 1, always will be, the rest of the order doesn't matter, it's randomized by MAL (although it's funny how Bebop ended up #1 even that way).

I like your list. Good stuff.

Well, I've done a top 10 in the past so that'd be boring. Instead I'm going to list anime in no particular order that I dropped after 1 episode or less. :p

My little sister is among them (5 minutes aaaaand dropped)
Hana Yori Dango (1 episode and I hated every character on screen)
Kiss x Sis (just... ewww)
Candidate for Goddess (the CG... oh GOD the awful CG...)
Gundam Age (zzzzzzzzzz)
Kanokon (Just rubbed me the wrong way)
Weiss Kreuz (meh)
Fake (double meh)
Da Capo (blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand)
C3 (what the fuck is this shit?)

Yeah good decisions. FAKE has the most ridiculously catchy theme song though.
I happened across this song on a site with a bunch of opening/closing music selections and holy shit this song rules
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JHCnB4B9M

RKB 1

AHHHHHH
ahhhh
AHHHHHH

Why are they lifting their skirts???

ahhhh!

why is big sis.... ahhhhh!

Why are they stripping?

ahhhh!

tall girl dislike being tall? ahh- oh i know a few irl. Oh god, i'm connecting with this show! ahhhh!

Why are they showering??? ahhhhh!

i23MT5i6c7R0c.gif

SAOsuicide.gif

Yeah. The story potential is there but if you aren't a lolicon fan this watch is rough.

nanoha 5

oh some mage on mage action.

i really am digging the sound effects of the assorted staffs. Sounds so... mecha.

everything else... w/e. just skip past that stuff.

Its really like Gundam and magical girls combined as someone said. Nanoha deserved a bigger budget but I really enjoyed the fights and cuteness.

Kokoro Connect 4

More secrets, more drama, and more fun. I picked this show up expecting comedic hijinx but instead I've gotten a decent drama for my troubles. Well, aside from (Caution: Spoilers) this exchange. Then again,
I figure they can't avoid sexual tension forever.

Wow. Will watch this.

...I think I just heard the Bakemonogatari commentary will be subtitled on the release. Someone tell me I'm not dreaming.

I was gonna buy Bake anyway but this is a welcome addition.

Wow I guess I can finally see durarara, the bd set isreleasing in the us

Is this show good? It gets compared favorably to Baccano so it has my interest.

Dog Dads' 4

Moe tsundere Eclair is moe.

Training episode injected with fanservice. Nothing remarkable, but that's pretty much what this show is about. Hope we get back to the war games soon.

Everything in Dog Days is hnnnngh.
I love this show.

Oh... I must've missed it. Sorry. Do you know what page it was on? I didn't go back and read the pages cuz I was driving and stuff.

Page 3 with 100 ppp (so 6 with 50 ppp).

I don't know if I consider PH shounen though. Meh, idk. Anyway, I like the overall plot and the intricacy of it which is why I consider PH in high esteem.

It's definitely structured like a battle shounen. I don't know how high the fight frequency is since I dropped it at chapter 20, but from what I read, the potential was there.

fertygo

I wouldnt put Pandora Hearts in the same league as Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, thats up there with Spiral as my favorite manga. They arent plagued with an annoying Bea Rabbit for one. Break also comes off almost like a weaker carbon copy of Fai...

Wait you more annoyed with Alice than to Sakura? :D

More you know about :DTL

Soma

Sword Art Online Episode 04

Did someone say lolis?

ijGaMatqgfMES.gif

Anyhow the episode was pretty solid. I like it much better than last week's where the pacing felt all over the place. I liked that the episode delved into more of the MMO mechanics and the structure and 'civilization' of the world. The main reason I enjoy the show as much as I do is because I love the world that it has created. I feel like it's doing a better job at presenting life in an MMO world better than .hack (though it's been a long time since I last watched the show so my memory of that show is a bit foggy).

Silica makes for a good addition to the cast. She's not as unbearable as I expected prior to watching the episode and I actually kinda hope she comes back later. And not gonna lie, I thought the
auto-recovery thing
was pretty cool.

Oh, there are rules now?!

If a single episode of a show was really really good, yet the rest of it sucked, would you put that 1 episode in the top 10?

If you're really that content with your way, then it's all good, but I would think most things are rated as a whole. You don't rate the first 5 hours of a video game a 10 and then the remainder of the game a 7.

If a single episode of a show was really really good, yet the rest of it sucked, would you put that 1 episode in the top 10?

If you're really that content with your way, then it's all good, but I would think most things are rated as a whole. You don't rate the first 5 hours of a video game a 10 and then the remainder of the game a 7.

Sometimes 1 bad episode of a really good show can ruin the whole show for me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You can't just remove episodes in a top 10 list...

Yes, you can. I do it all the time with Rurouni Kenshin (1-end of Kyoto Arc depending on whether you count recap episodes or not).

Yeah good decisions. FAKE has the most ridiculously catchy theme song though.
I happened across this song on a site with a bunch of opening/closing music selections and holy shit this song rules
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JHCnB4B9M

Okay, I'll admit the song IS catchy.

You mean... you don't know?

http://i.imgur.com/H0y1yl.jpg

I've seen better writing on fanfiction.net. The entire chapter is a masterpiece of bad writing.

Wait... what? How the... what the... what?

Gintama 14

Roasted frog doesn't sound too good.

Nice, they decided to split it up into two segments instead of trying to bulk up the episodes with random filler and stretch out one chapter. Made the stories more condensed and much more enjoyable.

New ED is nice too.

Soma

• FLCL
  • Ghost In The Shell
  • Evangelion
  • Perfect Blue
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Gundam 08th MS Team
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Kara No Kyoukai 5
  • The Wings Of Honneamise
  • Fate/Zero
  • Kuuchuu Buranko
  • Madoka Magica
  • Kare Kano
  • Akira
  • Gurren Lagann

In no real order, besides FLCL which I've come to terms with it being pretty much my favorite anime. Really though my list is going through so many changes lately that it's hard to keep it at a top 15 let alone a top 10. This year alone I've been watching so many good shows that I hadn't gotten to earlier. There's dozens of acclaimed shows that I still haven't watched so this list may very well change dramatically by the end of the year.

In retrospect I might switch out Kare Kano for Nichijou mainly for how poorly the Kare Kano anime ended. Oh well.

Jex

I don't know what you're talking about. It's super easy.

1. The Sky Crawlers
2. Angel's Egg
3. Ghost in the Shell
4. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
5. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
6. Patlabor 2: The Movie
7. Gosenzosama Banbanzai!
8. Patlabor: The Movie
9. Twilight Q episode 2
10. Urusei Yatsura episodes 1-106

See?
The best thing about this list is that it contains no bad anime, so on those grounds alone I have to approve of it.

Fisico

Kokoro Connect 4

kokonect3.gif

D-Double mindblown.
If it wasn't for this the episode would've been total crap.
All this drama and trauma shit about the girls felt so forced and was so boring i didn't give a single shit during the whole episode.
They should just go back to the comedy part when the characters are switching body.

RurouniZel

Kokoro Connect 4

kokonect3.gif

D-Double mindblown.
If it wasn't for this the episode would've been total crap.
All this drama and trauma shit about the girls felt so forced and was so boring i didn't give a single shit during the whole episode. They should just go back to the comedy part when the characters are switching body.

o_O;; ... er... is that was kids talk about these days...

Jex

You can't just remove episodes in a top 10 list...

I don't believe that the rules on top ten lists were laid down by God himself. Rather, they seem to be pretty flexible tools. Ignoring, for a moment, that that wasn't the most serious top ten list in the world, I don't really see a problem with being selective in that manner. After all, what is the purpose of a top ten list?

One purpose is simply to highlight your own personal tastes in a given area. Yet that's not their only role - they also serve as a signpost to other people providing them with guidance about what they should spend their time on. So you're saying "here are my tastes and you should also try these things out as well because I like them". In that regard it makes perfect sense to only recommend what you like.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
North American anime distributor Funimation announced at its Otakon panel on Saturday that it has licensed the following anime: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari), Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection, One Piece Film Strong World, the Fairy Tail: Hōō no Miko film, and Akira. In addition, the company has added additional rights to Aquarion Evol, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Sankarea, and Maken-Ki! Battling Venus. The company has also licensed season two of Fairy Tail and season five of One Piece.

survivor

Banned
I don't want to comment on anyone's top ten lists in particular because, well, there isn't much point in doing so. I just wanted to add that I haven't posted my own because I literally cannot create top ten lists of anything whether it be books, anime, films of what have you. There's just far too many works I enjoy in a variety of ways, some of which aren't even comparable to each other.

It's very easy, just select 10 stuff that you really like and that's it, the list is complete.

RurouniZel

North American anime distributor Funimation announced at its Otakon panel on Saturday that it has licensed the following anime: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari), Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection, One Piece Film Strong World, the Fairy Tail: Hōō no Miko film, and Akira. In addition, the company has added additional rights to Aquarion Evol, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Sankarea, and Maken-Ki! Battling Venus. The company has also licensed season two of Fairy Tail and season five of One Piece.

LOL they're renaming it to tie it directly to Tenchi Muyo? I guess to increase sales?

One PiecE (264 - 336 or so), Strong World
Fairy Tail (24 eps...) and the Movie
Aquarion Evol

Will all be mines. Kind of wish they got more Fairy Tail at once since that means they'll be 70 or so episodes behind still. Funimation finally wants my money.

Jex

I don't think that argument really holds water. Videogames are released as a single, stand-alone product (or at least they were) and they represent several years of work in one package. They're one off's.

Television shows are long running and may be made over a number of years by a wide variety of people. The creative forces behind the work including the director, the writers and the actors may all change over the course of the creation and airing of the show. They aren't one neat, unified product that you can wrap up in a neat little package (although you can certainly purchase them like that). Just to give one example, many people about The Simpsons seasons 2-8 when they are referring to the show because that's when it was still good, rather than The Simpsons as a whole product.

Narag

I don't see the problem with it. It's like specifying the early Simpsons, Kenshin until Kyoto arc ends, etc. yeah it sucks quality isn't high throughout but that's the nature of longer shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom