• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Accel World 12

Really good episode. Probably my favorite episode so far.
This show has some fun action scenes. Also I don't know why people don't like Haru. He's kind of whiny at first but his character seems to be progressing well. He does some courageous things that other MC's would be too chickenshit to attempt.

How heavy is Joshiraku on the puns and references to Japanese language? I only watched a bit of the first episode, but it felt like something that you can't get the full impact of without knowing Japanese.

It's like Zetsubou Sensei even if you just get 50% of the jokes it's still extremely funny.

And don't forget the cute girl factor.

xWM3G.jpg

Accel World 12

Really good episode. Probably my favorite episode so far.
This show has some fun action scenes. Also I don't know why people don't like Haru. He's kind of whiny at first but his character seems to be progressing well. He does some courageous things that other MC's would be too chickenshit to attempt.

I don't know either ..at the start he had no confidence ( at all ) but make some nice decisions and stick with them ... His only real flaw is that his confidence metter drop way too easily ...

Uchip

Banned
Just watch it, we all know that it's really about appreciating the girls doing cute things.

question out of left field here: Say the show was instead about boys doing cute things would the show have the same appeal to you? surely there is some sexual attraction involved if the answer is no.

even cajunator who appears to abide by some kind of "cute things are cute" rule im sure has at least some kind of ulterior interest. if not why?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
question out of left field here: Say the show was instead about boys doing cute things would the show have the same appeal to you? surely there is some sexual attraction involved if the answer is no.

even cajunator who appears to abide by some kind of "cute things are cute" rule im sure has at least some kind of ulterior interest. if not why?

Your premise there is not inherently true.

Defuser

Also I don't know why people don't like Haru. He's kind of whiny at first but his character seems to be progressing well. He does some courageous things that other MC's would be too chickenshit to attempt.
For the obvious reasons, he's short and fat which somehow attracts the girls which is already shatter some people's minds.. or people must have watch Accel World after coming off from Guilty Crown lol

I think it's refreshing to see a rather different type of MC than the other generic average looking MC we got so far.

Daily Lives of High School Boys was super popular here, so "cute girls" is maybe a factor but not the only one.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
they dont really exist afaik, which is what brings rise to this hypothesis

I would say that the reason they don't exist is due far more to perceptions of what different interests girls and boys have. Boys = sports, fighting, competition, and so on, while girls = shopping, cute things, fluffy, etc.

For comparison, how many battle/action shows feature a girl as a main character (and not just in one of DTL's support roles, but as an actual protagonist doing actual fighting)? Only a fraction exist compared to the amount of boys in that role, but I wouldn't say it's due to sexual attraction.

NeonZ

They make up like 80% of the content.

Eh, I don't think it's that heavy on puns. However, there are also references to Japanese culture that might be missed if you only know it through anime. In spite of all that, there are also some segments mostly focused on standard humor, without many puns or specific cultural references - those still have puns and/or cultural references though, but not everything the show does is -dominated- by them.

I would say that the reason they don't exist is due far more to perceptions of what different interests girls and boys have. Boys = sports, fighting, competition, and so on, while girls = shopping, cute things, fluffy, etc.

For comparison, how many battle/action shows feature a girl as a main character (and not just in one of DTL's support roles, but as an actual protagonist doing actual fighting)? Only a fraction exist compared to the amount of boys in that role, but I wouldn't say it's due to sexual attraction.

Shows that do that like Nanoha, Madoka, and Shana aren't really that rare. Then there's the Strike Witches type stuff and all of those genderbending historical action shows.

BluWacky

Of course "cute boys doing cute things" anime exist - they just tend to be more "high concept", like Hetalia or Princess Princess.

If you completely moeblob a boy, though, you end up with shota stuff like Sukisho where the sexual element is the whole point rather than just subtext/bait.

Uchip

Banned

I guess it is more suitable for girls to do girly things, and it is possible for grown men to like watching two dimensional depictions of little girls being little girls in a familial sense
my conspiracy theory needs work :(

If you completely moeblob a boy, though, you end up with shota stuff like Sukisho where the sexual element is the whole point rather than just subtext/bait.

I have to wonder why that is, though

Ultimadrago

Joshiraku 1

They mentioned "comedian girls" in the opening lyrics.

Where are they?

Perhaps they show up in a later episode.

In any case, this was not humorous in the least.
The girls never shut up and it was still about to make me go to sleep.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
For the obvious reasons, he's short and fat which somehow attracts the girls which is already shatter some people's minds.. or people must have watch Accel World after coming off from Guilty Crown lol

I think it's refreshing to see a rather different type of MC than the other generic average looking MC we got so far.

That's not the case at all.

It's more so the fact that after all the shit he's done
he has yet to any gain any confidence for himself. Like when he lost his wings? Shit was pathetic.

Defuser

Sacred Blacksmith does both lol.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Joshiraku 1

Where are they?

There's so many relevant comparisons to Nichijou here, but since I don't like making cheap shots I'll refrain.

Uchip

Banned
new theory:
girls are generally less funny than guys irl, so making comedies about them is more interesting by way of contrast

Theonik

Joshiraku 1

Where are they?

You need to read the translator notes to get all the lame puns. Not that they make the show much better since part of the joke is how lame they are but it's good to know!

Theonik

Look who's popular.

girls are now referred to as colours
the anime objectification process is almost complete!
You're not Femmeworth.
I'll give them a read.
yeah, really they make up the majority of the content so you can't fully appreciate it without knowledge of Japanese, however the show also has some visual gags/cute girls doing cute things fare that are universal.

Jarmel

Banned
Joshiraku 1

Where are they?

Pretty much how I felt about the episode too.

Uchip

Banned
protip: disgustingly sexist opinions are still sexist no matter how "common" they may or may not be

someones experiences dictating whether or not one gender is funnier as "disgustingly sexist" may be the biggest overreaction ive ever encountered here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom