• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Im gonna put Shangrila in my cart and do some research on it.
Im intrigued.
A silly plot didnt stop me from really enjoying xam'd.
It's not just the plot, aside from the main character's design there is absolutely nothing else good about the show, it's like what Glass Fleet would have been if it was set on a single planet with an environmentalist plot. Even then it wasn't insane enough to be gif worthy. It's just bad. Crunchyroll has it available to watch I think, if you dare, but it is shit in pretty much every metric.

Edit: Nope, no longer on Crunchyroll, Hulu now has the first 4 episodes though.

trejo

I love you too, trejo. I love you too.

SUa1r.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe it's some elaborate trick to test us. We're the players and this thread is Kayos' SAO world he created. C'mon microwaves set me free!

You will only see a way out if you seek the Truth. The Truth that this world is fake.

kayos90

I agree with this man's message.

moonspeak2012!

Waifus we can believe in!

Yall are crazy. Lizbet is so boring and uninteresting. Ugh... Then again, it doesn't help that the author doesn't develop on her character making her extremely boring, bland, and stupid. Blegh...

Dresden

Is that her shop in the background? Her spirit of enterprise has won me over if so.
Her bootstraps are bigger than anyone else's.
Yall are crazy. Lizbet is so boring and uninteresting. Ugh... Then again, it doesn't help that the author doesn't develop on her character making her extremely boring, bland, and stupid. Blegh...
Hey it's like you're describing moewaifu Asuna.

kayos90

Her bootstraps are bigger than anyone else's.

Meh. She's a lot more interesting and explained upon than Lizbet. The way I see it, she only exists as a competition to Asuna. Even then she fails cuz Kirito already is going out with Asuna anyway. Meh...

cajunator

Banned
It's not just the plot, aside from the main character's design there is absolutely nothing else good about the show, it's like what Glass Fleet would have been if it was set on a single planet with an environmentalist plot. Even then it wasn't insane enough to be gif worthy. It's just bad. Crunchyroll has it available to watch I think, if you dare, but it is shit in pretty much every metric.

Edit: Nope, no longer on Crunchyroll, Hulu now has the first 4 episodes though.

Well Nozomi had a show called Third: the girl with the blue eye that I bought literally on a whim and enjoyed a lot.
What did you think of that one?
I really believe that shows not suited for you might very well work for me.
Another blind buy was Allison and Lillia.

Dresden

Meh. She's a lot more interesting and explained upon than Lizbet. The way I see it, she only exists as a competition to Asuna. Even then she fails cuz Kirito already is going out with Asuna anyway. Meh...
Every character in SAO is either:

1. a part of Kirito's harem
2. Kirito's bro
3. the guy Kirito beats up for his harem

And as part of category 1 she's better than Asuna fosho.

As for episode seven, it's got
crafting, rare monster hunting, dragon killin'
and hand holding. Should be more fun than the last arc.

mAcOdIn

Well Nozomi had a show called Third: the girl with the blue eye that O bought literally on a whim and enjoyed a lot.
What did you think of that one?
I really believe that shows not suited for you might very well work for me.
Another blind buy was Allison and Lillia.
Third and Allison to Lillia are both better than Shangr-la.

Allison to Lillia's actually a sore spot for me as I actually enjoyed the first half and then the second half came and was just, shit. It messed up everything. It kept the same tone but all the characters that I did like all grew up to be asshole hypocrites and the new main characters of the second half paled in comparison. It also had a really good OP and the general art was cleaner and more pleasant. It had higher highs and as such had further to fall in comparison to the Third and Shangri-la. Now the Third is weaker than Allison to Lillia but better than Shangri-la. How would I describe it, the Third is never terrible it just is never really good either. None of the characters are as unique as in Shangri-la but in contrast none of them are as offensively bad or stupid as Shangri-la's characters either. At first glance it might then seem as if Shangri-La is the more ambitious of the two shows, perhaps that's true, but it fails on all fronts while the Third just is what it is. But in truth I didn't like the Third much either.

Of course your last statement is 100% true, shows not suited for me are suited for someone else but since they're not suited for me I can't really comprehend how one would enjoy those shows, lol. :)

icecream

Public Health Threat
Shangri-la exemplifies old-Gonzo: pretty, CG, story dead. But go environmentalism!

You stole my reply >_<

Having Asuna more explained upon doesn't make her any better if her explanations are always being generic. She was most interesting when they first met.

mAcOdIn

So what kind of shows could Shangri la be compared to thematically?
Pick a Gonzo show. Like Say, Glass Fleet on a single planet with a global warming theme instead of that weird religious shit. Ok, that's not 100 percent accurate. It's not Earth Girl Arjuna either, it's, it's its own thing I guess just quality wise it's on par with something Gonzo would make which makes sense since it was Gonzo that made it.
Shangri-la exemplifies old-Gonzo: pretty, CG, story dead. But go environmentalism!
I don't think it's particularly pretty either though. The backgrounds aren't technically bad at all but I'd be hesitant to say they're pretty and many, well most actually, of the character designs are horrible.

cajunator

Banned
Pick a Gonzo show. Like Say, Glass Fleet on a single planet with a global warming theme instead of that weird religious shit. Ok, that's not 100 percent accurate. It's not Earth Girl Arjuna either, it's, it's its own thing I guess just quality wise it's on par with something Gonzo would make which makes sense since it was Gonzo that made it.

Oh god. I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove old Gonzo. I know thats not a popular opinion here but if its like their older stuff there is a significant chance I might enjoy it.
The price is not steep. I think Ill give it a shot.

mAcOdIn

Oh god. I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove old Gonzo. I know thats not a popular opinion here but if its like their older stuff there is a significant chance I might enjoy it.
The price is not steep. I think Ill give it a shot.
God this is like a dagger to my heart.

Also, I don't think that Shangri-la counts as "old" Gonzo, it's from right around that period where they went bankrupt, or reorganized, or whatever the fuck they did. It's one of the last shows they've done actually. Looking back they've only done 4 shows since. So how do you feel about "new" Gonzo?

icecream

Public Health Threat
As long as you're aware you're getting into a Gonzo show, you'll have no problems enjoying it.

Well most actually, of the character designs are horrible.
As a fan of Range Murata's works, it is my obligation to disagree strongly with that statement!

cajunator

Banned
God this is like a dagger to my heart.

Also, I don't think that Shangri-la counts as "old" Gonzo, it's from right around that period where they went bankrupt, or reorganized, or whatever the fuck they did. It's one of the last shows they've done actually. Looking back they've only done 4 shows since. So how do you feel about "new" Gonzo?

Well I like Getsumen to Heiki minna (magical bunny girls in space) as well as some parts of Rosario vampire, saki and of course Last Exile fam of fucking awesome.

As long as you're aware you're getting into a Gonzo show, you'll have no problems enjoying it.

As a fan of Range Murata's works, it is my obligation to disagree strongly with that statement!

I agree with this.
Im a huge fan of his designs.

mAcOdIn

Well I like Getsumen to Heiki minna (magical bunny girls in space) as well as some parts of Rosario vampire, saki and of course Last Exile fam of fucking awesome.
Well keep in mind that while Rosario to Vampire did at least have Mizore to help keep it afloat it was still a 100% hack job compared to the manga so lets not pretend that Gonzo did good there. Saki's just pandering so no surprise you liked that. Last Exile Fam though and Getsumen to Heiki minna though, hated the first episode of the former and never saw the latter.

I did think Gonzo did ok with Full Metal Panic though, in fact I think they did the best compared to Second Raid. Gankutsuou, Last Exile(despite it reeking of Gonzo in structure) and Welcome to the NHK were ok as well.

As for Range Murata, can't say much all I saw of his is Shangri-La and Last Exile. I didn't find either impressive from a character design standpoint.

cajunator

Banned
Well keep in mind that while Rosario to Vampire did at least have Mizore to help keep it afloat it was still a 100% hack job compared to the manga so lets not pretend that Gonzo did good there. Saki's just pandering so no surprise you liked that. Last Exile Fam though and Getsumen to Heiki minna though, hated the first episode of the former and never saw the latter.

As for Range Murata, can't say much all I saw of his is Shangri-La and Last Exile. I didn't find either impressive from a character design standpoint.

Oh Mizore <3 what a goddess. Definitely the only reason I put up with Rosario Vampire.
But she was such a great reason.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SAO - 06

Are you shitting me? This guy
really killed off his wife all because she became more active and wasn't going to let the crap around her weigh her down? Really?

Too bad Griselda and Asuna's roles weren't reversed. Would've made this show a lot more entertaining.

kayos90

SAO - 06

Are you shitting me? This guy
really killed off his wife all because she became more active and wasn't going to let the crap around her weigh her down? Really?

Too bad Griselda and Asuna's roles weren't reversed. Would've made this show a lot more entertaining.

Say wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom