• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Poyopoyo 30
poyo30.jpg

p90x got some competition yo

Soma

I dropped it too. It's just...really bland and not particularly interesting in a way that fails to mentally stimulate me on any level. I'm more surprised that it really reaches anyone as I don't see the cross section fans of Glee and fans of generic anime being very big.

Ah I knew I had a reason to not want to watch it!

Sword Art Online 4

And this is why I am not a fan of non-linear story-telling. I figured this would be a normal quest kind of show, but now it seems like it will be a series of one-offs that don't really do much to further the overarching plot. I'm hoping that changes next episode what with Kirito going back to the front lines, but that doesn't change the shitton of stuff that got skipped.

Kirito was badass at least.

What plot ?
they are stuck in the game ..the only time this adventure will advance or end is when they'll reach the goal ( killing the last boss )

There is/was no other plot ... it's obvious since ep 2 that they'll focus on how everyone behave in SAO..because there is nothing else to tell.

Get ready for
at least 27 months of side stories in SAO
before you get any kind of "plot"

wonzo

Banned
It looks like RightStuf put up pre-orders for their Ristorante Paradiso release.

Ah, what's he doing here
when he got trashed so hard at the beginning?
He did indeed get thoroughly owned at the beginning but I guess he still had enough points left to continue. Plus, they said earlier they've sparred a couple of times since then.

Regarding the last spoiler, do they show
the whole casinò part
?
They showed some of it but I'm guessing the rest will be continued in the next movie.
As I've only been reading the manga (one day I'll get back to the book), Tweedledee being
Balot's brother in the movie
leaves me confused.
I should clarify that
he merely considers Balot like a sister due to their rather "unique" situation.
Or something, I dunno as this series is batshit insane no matter which way you cut it really.

Articalys

1st 369 Akari Akaza @ Yuru Yuri
2nd 257 Tomoka Minato @ Ro-Kyu-Bu!
3rd 231 Mayoi Hachikuji @ Nisemonogatari
4th 212 Sakurako Oomuro @ Yuru Yuri
5th 211 Hajime Kunihiro @ Saki
6th 208 Karuta Roromiya @ Inu X Boku SS
7th 197 Hibiki Ganaha @ The Idolmaster
8th 193 Mayuri Shiina @ Steins;Gate
9th 192 Hina Takanashi @ Papa No Iukoto O Kikinasai!
10th 183 Ringo Oginome @ Mawaru Penguindrum
10th 183 Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen @ Strike Witches
12th 172 Isumi Saginomiya @ Hayate The Combat Butler
WHO'S INVISIBLE NOW

Highest vote total in the prelims.

Narag

Now and Then, Here and There - 03

h6a8J.jpg

I dunno... it's good, but sometimes i feel it's being grimdark for the sake of being grimdark. Like the
implied rape scene
, i'm not sure what was its purpose.

It tries too hard to create a negative oppressive shithole atmosphere. We get it already!

I dropped it too. It's just...really bland and not particularly interesting in a way that fails to mentally stimulate me on any level. I'm more surprised that it really reaches anyone as I don't see the cross section fans of Glee and fans of generic anime being very big.

I'm trying to like it, but it's just so boring. At least it looks good.

Sword Art Online 4

And this is why I am not a fan of non-linear story-telling. I figured this would be a normal quest kind of show, but now it seems like it will be a series of one-offs that don't really do much to further the overarching plot. I'm hoping that changes next episode what with Kirito going back to the front lines, but that doesn't change the shitton of stuff that got skipped.

These one-offs tell you more about the world, and bits and pieces of the "game mechanics". Also helps to build Kirito's harem.

I thought it was pretty funny that Kirito just let himself get hacked and slashed in this episode. Pretty sure that swords hurt whether you have health regeneration or not...

Narag

These one-offs tell you more about the world, and bits and pieces of the "game mechanics". Also helps to build Kirito's harem.

I thought it was pretty funny that Kirito just let himself get hacked and slashed in this episode. Pretty sure that swords hurt whether you have health regeneration or not...

In the first ep, Kirito mentioned there wasn't any pain to be felt when Klein thought he was hurt so I'm not sure. I'd imagine someone fully aware of the game mechanics could use this to intimidate as Kirito did.

Kanokon: The Girl Who Cried Fox 5
TUIMK.png

Well, probably more intimate than most harem leads anyways.
Did not expect that kind of drama and action in this show, and I don't think Xebec's budget did either. The show is better when it's being cute and funny than being some weird sexy battle shounen. I suppose someone like DTL would appreciate Nozomu's brother I guess. Oh well, this episode had its moments.
UJxNu.png

This is what true love is about.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Silica is pretty much my least favorite character out of the entire SAO cast. Kirito is easily the worst in the beginning but gets so good later on.

Yeah, and it's done much better in those. Pandora Hearts is essentially Black Butler lite. It's the kind of thing when an aspiring shoujo artist tries their hand at shounen. Sometimes they're able to at least partially pull it off like Akira Amano or Yana Toboso. Others aren't so good at it.

You said you got to 20ish chapters. I would say that it's fairly average up to that point. It isn't until it hits the arc after the next that it gets batshit insane good.

What plot ?
they are stuck in the game ..the only time this adventure will advance or end is when they'll reach the goal ( killing the last boss )

There is/was no other plot ... it's obvious since ep 2 that they'll focus on how everyone behave in SAO..because there is nothing else to tell.

Get ready for
at least 27 months of side stories in SAO
before you get any kind of "plot"

Well I just figured it would be a reasonable, at least partially linear sense of progression. Maybe show Kirito dealing with his social anxiety by making a party with what's her name and then they quest to the 100th floor.

Instead, we're nearly halfway through the game by the 2nd episode, an entire world of politics and what not has developed that we're barely given any information on, and the guy has become a personable badass going around solving other people's problems. It's just really weird progression.

sonicmj1

North American anime distributor Funimation announced at its Otakon panel on Saturday that it has licensed the following anime: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari), Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection, One Piece Film Strong World, the Fairy Tail: Hōō no Miko film, and Akira. In addition, the company has added additional rights to Aquarion Evol, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Sankarea, and Maken-Ki! Battling Venus. The company has also licensed season two of Fairy Tail and season five of One Piece.

Does this mean we're getting a third Akira dub?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Agree, though maybe they just went for quality. Higurashi was an amazing show, sadly Umineko didn't even come close.

Yep, Higurashi was a really fun watch even if it wasn't the greatest adaptation. Umineko was just awful in every possible way.

On the bright side it'll probably sell way better in the US than it did in Japan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 4

But he doesn't go to the frontlines next episode... Well... sort of.

Yep, Higurashi was a really fun watch even if it wasn't the greatest adaptation. Umineko was just awful in every possible way.

On the bright side it'll probably sell way better in the US than it did in Japan.
I really wish I could watch Higurashi for the first time again, when I had absolutely no clue wtf was happening.

Gundam Wing 5
tumblr_m7wglammax1qbxqfpo1_250.gif

I wish we would stop focusing on Relena so much. Shes dull and gets in the way. Sure Dr. J told her things to develop Heero, but his development could have come from so many other areas. Actually, I don't even see what her significance in the plot is anymore beyond providing an entertaining scene
grabbing the purse bomb the lady left and then taking it back to her, made me laugh so much for some reason, lol

Trowa should have stayed with Quatre, though its nice Quatre got attached to him so quickly. And Heero and Duo still provide tons of laughs
as if he'd shoot at him, Duo should know better by now

Gundam Wing 5
tumblr_m7wglammax1qbxqfpo1_250.gif

I wish we would stop focusing on Relena so much. Shes dull and gets in the way. Sure Dr. J told her things to develop Heero, but his development could have come from so many other areas. Actually, I don't even see what her significance in the plot is anymore beyond providing an entertaining scene
grabbing the purse bomb the lady left and then taking it back to her, made me laugh so much for some reason, lol

Trowa should have stayed with Quatre, though its nice Quatre got attached to him so quickly. And Heero and Duo still provide tons of laughs
as if he'd shoot at him, Duo should know better by now

I've started watching this as well. Relena is annoying as hell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ghost in the Shell

This feels very much of the time, where science fiction was much concerned with bigger ideas and how how characters were wrapped into those ideas (as we've seen now, the trend is very much toward character first, metaphysical ideas second).

It's hard not to see the connections to Blade Runner, where you have a bunch of Replicants questioning the very nature of humanity and what makes a human being a human being, except we get a chance to see this from the android's/cyborg's point of view.
(Well, questions about Deckard's status as a Replicant notwithstanding).

In keeping with that theme, there are some quite lovely shots with the Major that touch on the introspection that she goes through over the course of the film.
zTcO7l.jpg

Then there are the clunkers where people over explain both the themes and the plot to each other (and more specifically to the audience), but I suppose I can forgive that given how relatively tight the film is when it comes to everything else.

And as much as I like the world and the ideas, I can't imagine how they could drag this out to a 52 episode anime series. I'm not even sure that I'd want to check out the sequel because where else can you go after that ending?

Well, at least now I can ignore the backlog for another few months. Woot. lol

Just completed the first eight episodes of Gurren Lagann.
Kamina's death was a bit unexpected, seeing as this series has 27 episodes even with the time-skip.

I have only seen parts of this series back when it aired on Ani-Mondays, so I knew this was bound to happen at some part in the story.

wonzo

Banned
Does this mean we're getting a third Akira dub?
It's not like that matters as the original audio's the only way to go for Akira thanks to the animated lip-synch!

It's P.A. Works, that's like every frame.
See this infamous Angel Beats! (another P.A. Works classic) Keyframe (yes, keyframe. it's not an in-between no matter what some might say)

abeats1f.jpg

Ghost in the Shell

I'm not even sure that I'd want to check out the sequel because where else can you go after that ending?
It goes to some fucking awesome Batou action scene
and Basset Hound
sakuga. It's a great film and definitely worth watching.

cajunator

Banned

I like when they sing in Glee. I hate everything else about Glee but the singing is rad.

Pretty cute.

Yes.
Its like the anime industry and figure makers love to take my money.
Who is the cutie witch with purple hair?
As for The Princess of Crystal from Penguindrum I already have a gsc on on order.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It goes to some fucking awesome Batou action scene
and Basset Hound
sakuga. It's a great film and definitely worth watching.

I bet there's a lot of CG in it! lol

(So random action scenes then? :p Although I suppose Universal Soldier was a sequel to Blade Runner, so why not.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom