• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hellsing OVA - 02

oRhgI.png

Damn Seras, you crazy!.

Man, Seras is putting in work!

More awesome gunfights and Walter putting whippersnappers in their place. Would probably write more but I'm so tired. I need to sleep.

Jex

Wow. That's some impressive animation. I love Kantoku's designs.

I don't know, I see a worrying trend in terms of the CG. Now Shaft cant even animated beach balls traditionally. What poor, innocent object will CG claim next? I supposed any object that has to move along a plane, or rotate or that we have to see multiple angles of could be taken next.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, I see a worrying trend in terms of the CG. Now Shaft cant even animated beach balls traditionally. What poor, innocent object will CG claim next? I supposed any object that has to move along a plane, or rotate or that we have to see multiple angles of could be taken next.

In all fairness, traditionally animating a beachball would not make much difference and isnt worth the hassle.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's the thing though, isn't it. This is not a lucrative property. They would almost certainly make more money off of flogging merchandise than by making more Penguin Drum. It all seems very odd.

I mean, we all thought that Brains Base's hands were washed of Penguindrum, so is there any possibility that this project was set in motion at Ikuhara's insistence? Can the concept of a "pet project" even still exist when the industry is in so poor a shape that a single high-budget failure can ruin a studio?

It's too mysterious. Nothing adds up.

Thoraxes

NRTyuki Rendezvous - 06

The faux-quoting of Debussy's The Sunken Cathedral (or La cathédrale engloutie if you will) at the end was a nice touch. Same key, same tremolo patterns, same planing, but basically just instrumental contrafactum. Pretty nice touch in regards to the scene, IMO.

Jex

PV for the Crazy Girl Anime
http://youtu.be/ud0fDdXHnYc

Well I know that I'm going to have to watch at least one episode of this. The premise doesn't seem particularly promising but KyoAni have surprised me before. At the very least it gives their effects animators a chance to go crazy (no pun intended) and really deliver some visual spectacle.

Judging from that trailer alone it will also dive their cinematographers/directors of photography a chance to do some more 'imitation'. I assume many of you have seen the first Haruhi episode that successfully imitates the the visual style of a bad student film? Well, in the trailer above you can clearly see a number of sequences that imitate that styles used by other anime works. There's a number of generic action shots, camera movements, reveals and so on that all seem to be lifted from other works. They clearly aren't KyoAni's traditional style at all. I imagine the staff will be having a lot of fun using those kinds of techniques because they don't ever get the chance do deploy them during your average KyoAni series.

OceanBlue

CG sports balls. I can see it now.

Instro

That's the thing though, isn't it. This is not a lucrative property. They would almost certainly make more money off of flogging merchandise than by making more Penguin Drum. It all seems very odd.

Well, its more lucrative than Brain Base's other recent shows outside of Natsume isn't it? 5k a volume, and weren't they being sold at a higher than normal premium?

Jex

Well, its more lucrative than Brain Base's other recent shows outside of Natsume isn't it? 5k a volume, and weren't they being sold at a higher than normal premium?

I assume, considering it's length, that it was also more expensive. I assume they were looking for something that was going to be a lot more popular.

Risette

A Good Citizen
In reality that seems a lot more likely than an anime but I really hope that you're wrong like you were wrong about Macross: Do you Remember Love.
I dunno, site has no mention of a studio and copyright to Ikuhara only.

Also I know the reason Macross was censored probably.

Jex

They clearly aren't KyoAni's traditional style at all. I imagine the staff will be having a lot of fun using those kinds of techniques because they don't ever get the chance do deploy them during your average KyoAni series.

It was a bad idea to try and explain this without using images. Here's some choice shots, you'll see how they don't really jive with KyoAni's usual style. Apparently this girls imagination looks a lot like an anime:

CrazyGirlAnime2.jpg
CrazyGirlAnime3.jpg

CrazyGirlAnime1.jpg
CrazyGirlAnime4.jpg

Where as this very clearly is:

CrazyGirlAnime5.jpg

At least it's going to be interesting to look at.

blood+ at least didn't follow monster of the week followed with a terrible plot twist
I could see M Night laughing his ass off at it
It's a shame that you can't appreciate it. Unlike a Shyamalan production, it didn't take itself seriously.
Everybody relevant is.
Hopefully you prefer irrelevance. Relevance is overrated.
The non-kyoani shots look better.
Judging from that trailer alone it will also dive their cinematographers/directors of photography a chance to do some more 'imitation'. I assume many of you have seen the first Haruhi episode that successfully imitates the the visual style of a bad student film? Well, in the trailer above you can clearly see a number of sequences that imitate that styles used by other anime works. There's a number of generic action shots, camera movements, reveals and so on that all seem to be lifted from other works. They clearly aren't KyoAni's traditional style at all. I imagine the staff will be having a lot of fun using those kinds of techniques because they don't ever get the chance do deploy them during your average KyoAni series.
Hmmmm.

Instro

I assume, considering it's length, that it was also more expensive. I assume they were looking for something that was going to be a lot more popular.

Well sure, but either way they must have made some money on it if they are moving forward with another project. Assuming it is an anime at least...and involves Brain Base...You know I guess I'm being presumptuous here since we know nothing about this yet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Now your various spirit guides and possibly ancestors can read them.

Maybe now they can use their powers to warn my younger self against getting involved with a couple of bad girlfriends!

Well sure, but either way they must have made some money on it if they are moving forward with another project. Assuming it is an anime at least...and involves Brain Base...You know I guess I'm being presumptuous here since we know nothing about this yet.

Shows that have sold even less than Penguindrum sometimes receive follow-up OVAs (Milky Holmes comes to mind for some reason), so I suppose that a short production can profit even when the base to which it's targeted is itself very small. I can't pretend to understand how any of this works.

Jex

The backgrounds seriously look weird in stills. I don't know why exactly, but they just look bad. In motion it probably looks bad too but it's less noticeable for some reason...

I think that's a combination of two things.

- The exaggerated colours.

- The lighting. The lighting is really, really flat in a number of shots and everything is illuminated equally which makes everything look really unnatural because that's not what the world looks like.

Defuser

Kokoro Connect ep 6
Inaban
KnrSf.jpg
bpGiS.gif
TM1EK.gif

Don't be shy Inaba, please continue to unleash your true desires.

Heartseed trolls again and this time even better than body swapping. Dammit Inaba! Stop being a Kanna!

This is truly summer season underrated show!

Yes, but now we need to get KO Traveling Hobo on this train.
After Texhnolyze he should.
Assuming Texhnolyze doesn't kill me, I'll order the first Utena set. I'm almost sure to end up sticking with it and buying the rest of the series, but this way I can at least pretend that I'm not spending a bunch of money.
kind of reminds me of KO Traveling Hobo's avatar
His is cuter though.
:lol

fertygo

Gundam 00 S1 was legit good till the end.

All hope was killed after that.

Sunrise/Bandai's greed for making Geass/00 one-two combo kill both series :(

Jex

Let's just say that Gundam 00 Season Two was the show that shook me out of my passive, all-accepting mode of anime consumption. And this was someone that absolutely could not understand why the internet hated Gundam SEED Destiny when I began watching anime. Yeah...

I can't imagine there are many people out there who have claimed that Gundam 00 S2 made them a better art critic.
Gundam 00 Season 1
Episodes 1-15 Great
Episodes 15-25 Absolutely Horrible

This show has some of the worst pacing I haver seen.

If you sit down with any classic Gundam work directed by Tomino you'll soon see that they have far, far, far worse pacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom