• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I seem to remember you watching AKB 0048.
The premise here is fundamentally flawed as, AKB0048 was an overall enjoyable show bad or not and he certainly didn't have to force himself through it.

Here's an interesting piece that Hayo Miyazaki wrote about the 'other' big director at Ghibli, Isao Takahata. He's most famous in the west for The Grave of the Fireflies but he's got a decades-spanning career that's packed with amazing works.

I found this article to be interesting because it reveals what Miyazaki thinks about Takahata's work ethic and approach to making animation. In places he sounds a little bit pissed off. Judge for yourself:
A very interesting read. Though Miyazaki's definition of sloth might be wildly different to the normal non-workaholic person. Speak of Only Yesterday it's releasing on BD now in case you haven't heard.

We will forget all the hate against Brain's Base after Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

mainjkcsu.png

Defuser

They've nearly become as irrelevant as Manglobe and Sunrise.

Manglobe for sure but Sunrise? Gundam Unicorn selling truckloads, Accel World and Horizon is doing well and maybe next year they might air a new gintama, they don't care as long as they're raking in the cash.

Jex

I don't think Sunrise cares if they're irrelevant or not while they can sell over 100k volumes of Gundam Unicorn every time they release a new one.

I was speaking of creative irrelevance, which is the kind that matters most to me.

fertygo

Manglobe for sure but Sunrise? Gundam Unicorn selling truckloads, Accel World and Horizon is doing well and maybe next year they might air a new gintama. They're still relevant.

I'm sure that wasn't he mean, he mean relevance by making "good show" robbing money from Otaku doesn't count.

Although Sunrise is still big as you can thought in making "successful" show, and new Geass is coming.

Firemind

The ninpo episode is one of the better episodes, so if you don't like the show after that, there's no hope. Although I know people who didn't like the silliness. Slander I say!

duckroll

I was speaking of creative irrelevance, which is the kind that matters most to me.

But I think it would be hard to argue that Sunrise is not creatively relevant in the anime industry. We're talking about the studio which has successfully created culturally relevant franchises like Code Geass and Tiger and Bunny in the last few years alone. Not only do they retain a fair number of successful properties, but they are constantly creating new ones as well.

Relevance is decided by awareness and acknowledgement. So it is hard to see how a studio which continues to churn out hits which are not recycled ideas or relying on pre-existing brand power to sell... is "creatively irrelevant".

Defuser

I'm sure that wasn't he mean, he mean relevance by making "good show" robbing money from Otaku doesn't count.

Although Sunrise is still big as you can thought in making "successful" show, and new Geass is coming.

Yeah I misunderstood about that. But at least Sunrise tries to makes new show IP once in a while or tries to pick good source material, Manglobe on other hand have been making one bad decision after another.

cajunator

Banned
Manglobe for sure but Sunrise? Gundam Unicorn selling truckloads, Accel World and Horizon is doing well and maybe next year they might air a new gintama, they don't care as long as they're raking in the cash.

Accel World is pretty damned relevant to my interest and apparently many others.
Its really enjoyable.

fertygo

Ah yes talking about Tiger & Bunny, how can you call Sunrise is creative irrelevant by making hit like that?

You can call the show was mediocre or bad, but the theme and premise is so goddamn unique and different, while the story itself might just recycling trope that already exist... anyone that thought "we can sell this" and deliver deserve mad prop.

I still shocked like hell to T&B success.

Jex

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 2

No, seriously, what the hell is this. It's all so oddly fascinating.

Also, that was quite possibly one of the most effective uses of Ave María ever.

Just for your information, the show appears to have peaked right there. There's no need to watch any other episodes.

what? which part of it makes you think that?
All of it, it's damn ridiculous and knows that it is. It was a very self-aware production. The show itself is a deconstruction of monster-of-the-week shows. I think it's better at being a deconstruction than Madoka Magica.

Uchip

Banned
All of it, it's damn ridiculous and knows that it is. It was a very self-aware production. The show itself is a deconstruction of monster-of-the-week shows. I think it's better at being a deconstruction than Madoka Magica.

is this coming from the directors mouth or yours?
to me it felt like it took its silly premise quite seriously
theyre even ending it with what looks like a super serious movie

is this coming from the directors mouth or yours?
to me it felt like it took its silly premise quite seriously
theyre even ending it with what looks like a super serious movie
The director, Tsutomu Mizushima, has a history of doing comedic productions, some with a dark slant. He wrote and directed Magical Witch Punie-chan. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak for it.

Firemind

SAO #6

I liked how they decided to chill on a bench and eat a sammich after they found out PKs can be done in safe areas.

I also liked that they let the PK group go. If your goal is to complete the game and it doesn't matter who does it, isn't it common sense to, I don't know, retain those who work against that goal? Unless they were bluffing about the reinforcements and didn't want to take the chance to lose the brawl. Still, it all seemed too casual in a game of life and death.

Also, what a twist! You couldn't make this shit up. Well, you could, but it'd still be shit.
Goodbye, Griselda, we hardly knew ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom