• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Texhnolyze 17

I don't mean to break your heart, Thoraxes, but...this wasn't that bad. Or perhaps more accurately, it could have been much worse.

-Shinji fucking owned Hal
-Caim didn't kill Doc
-Onishi is still alive
-Despite receiving relatively little screentime throughout the series, Kimata got to go out like a badass

That said, Lux seems well and truly fucked. The whole episode gave me
End of Evangelion
vibes, yet there are still five episodes left.

Keep going, keep going.

There's a reason why it's only putting down the glass at episode 17.

Also to put things in a little bit of perspective, (if i'm not mistaken) the TV airing of it didn't have the last two episodes (21 + 22) in it originally.

You got good vibes!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 05:

aYyZ7l.jpg

Must be running Firefox.

Well, that was certainly a significant step up from the previous two episodes. Multiple new mysteries relevant to the nature of the fairies and the reasons behind the downfall of mankind were introduced, which should hopefully provide sufficient material for the next couple of episodes provided that the narrative can avoid any more unnecessary tangents. I'm not even exactly sure what angles I want to see the human-fairy relationship examined from at this point; ultimately I'll be satisfied if the material presented is simply leading toward an ultimate grand revelation or upheaval of the status quo.

I think that it's quite clear that there's a connection between
the fairies' fear of electromagnetism and the end of humanity. The scarcity of electricity was a point of focus in this episode, and considering that a catastrophic use of electromagnetic particle weapons has the real-life capability to instantly send humanity back to the dark ages, I don't think that these issues were coincidentally brought up in the same episode. The presence of an artificial lifeform that requires electricity to survive will undoubtedly be of some significance as well

The concept of
the presence of fairies being inherently "lucky"
is also of great interest to me, especially as I'm not entirely convinced that
fairies aren't malevolent creatures or, at the very least, view humans as inferior lifeforms

I've probably mentioned multiple times how highly I think of the general artistic direction of the show, but the sketchy line art, saturated floral color palette, and painting-like backgrounds come together to create something really cohesive and lovely with a lot of personality. Even at moments when I'm not enthralled with the material, the visual spectacle and Nakahara Mai's absolutely charming performance as Watashi are still a pleasure to experience.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 05:

Well, that was certainly a significant step up from the previous two episodes. Multiple new mysteries relevant to the nature of the fairies and the reasons behind the downfall of mankind were introduced, which should hopefully provide sufficient material for the next couple of episodes provided that the narrative can avoid any more unnecessary tangents. I'm not even exactly sure what angles I want to see the human-fairy relationship examined from at this point; ultimately I'll be satisfied if the material presented is simply leading toward an ultimate grand revelation or paradigm shift of some sort.

I think that it's quite clear that there's a connection between
the fairies' fear of electromagnetism and the end of humanity. The scarcity of electricity was a point of focus in this episode, and considering that a catastrophic use of electromagnetic particle weapons has the real-life capability to instantly send humanity back to the dark ages, I don't think that these issues were coincidentally brought up in the same episode. The presence of an artificial lifeform that requires electricity to survive will undoubtedly be of some significance as well

The concept of
the presence of fairies being inherently "lucky"
is also of great interest to me, especially as I'm not entirely convinced that
fairies aren't malevolent creatures or, at the very least, view humans as inferior lifeforms

I've probably mentioned multiple times how highly I think of the general artistic direction of the show, but the sketchy line art, saturated floral color palette, and painting-like backgrounds come together to create something really cohesive and lovely with a lot of personality. Even at moments when I'm not enthralled with the material, the visual spectacle and Nakahara Mai's absolutely charming performance as Watashi are still a pleasure to experience.

I might for remembering this wrong, but weren't the fairies considered the evolution of humans or modern day humans or something?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hellsing OVA - 09

tumblr_ly7wr0OlpG1r082u5.gif

Are you kidding me?

There
goes my hopes of an OVA featuring Yumiko and Heinkel. Seriously, what the fuck?!

From Alucard
crying over Anderson's withering corpse to Walter and Alucard turning into children, I continued to find myself mouthing the words "wtf" throughout the entire episode.

Even though
she was a minor character in the grand scheme of things, I'm so pissed that Walter killed off Yumiko. Hopefully Heinkel will be able to take him down.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I might for remembering this wrong, but weren't the fairies considered the evolution of humans or modern day humans or something?

I thought that their exact origins were unknown, but I'm not sure either. I mean, it makes sense for the fairies and humans to share some kind of common origin, but I just don't know if this has been explicitly stated yet.

Hellsing OVA - 09

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly7wr0OlpG1r082u5.gif

Are you kidding me?

There
goes my hopes of an OVA featuring Yumiko and Heinkel. Seriously, what the fuck?!

From Alucard
crying over Anderson's withering corpse to Walter and Alucard turning into children, I continued to find myself mouthing the words "wtf" throughout the entire episode.

Even though
she was a minor character in the grand scheme of things, I'm so pissed that Walter killed off Yumiko. Hopefully Heinkel will be able to take him down.

Yeah, the events of this one made me pretty mad, hahah.
I didn't expect Yumiko and Heinkel to survive--I mean, if Anderson bit it, what chance did they have?--but if endearing characters get killed off I'm still going to be mad even if it makes sense.

So from your impressions, it's sounding like the poor treatment of Seras in Ultimate was exaggerated in my memory, so good. I'll be marathoning 1-9 again when 10 is out, and hell, I may watch the TV series again too. I've enjoyed reading your impressions today!

Lurky

popotan I would not recommend to anybody
unless you like obnoxious pedo bait characters

So they're loli but they're annoying loli..... Such a dilemma! What should I do?
Edit: well if it's the same art style as komugi I can at least give it a try.

Branduil

Hyouka 17

iW29kkDtoFFyw.jpg

i5Y0hBhdQZFM.jpg

You've outdone yourself, Houtarou.

What an amazing arc. They managed to tie everything together around a common theme,
and not only that, but you can trace the themes of jealousy and expectations back to Irisu's example in the previous arc.

What really sold this episode was the character animation, which has been on a high level throughout the show, but KyoAni really turned it up to eleven this time. The dialogue was heavy by necessity, but it was the character's faces that told the story.

iLky9rCbb2fL9.jpg

And now I leave something for jman's dreams.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I thought that their exact origins were unknown, but I'm not sure either. I mean, it makes sense for the fairies and humans to share some kind of common origin, but I just don't know if this has been explicitly stated yet.

Yeah, the events of this one made me pretty mad, hahah.
I didn't expect Yumiko and Heinkel to survive--I mean, if Anderson bit it, what chance did they have?--but if endearing characters get killed off I'm still going to be mad even if it makes sense.

So from your impressions, it's sounding like the poor treatment of Seras in Ultimate was exaggerated in my memory, so good. I'll be marathoning 1-9 again when 10 is out, and hell, I may watch the TV series again too. I've enjoyed reading your impressions today!

Yeah, I felt like episode 7 did all that it needed to with Seras considering it was a pivotal point for her that ended her inner struggle. With Alucard being MIA for as long as he was, I can understand why they wanted to bring the focus back onto him.

You do have a point though about Anderson.
Since they killed him off, it was kinda silly of me hoping Yumie and Heinkel would make it through unscathed.

Let me know when you're planning to watch the OVAs or the TV series for that matter so we can watch it together!

Edit: Oh and thanks!

Nafe

Tari Tari 7

Sawa has too much tits for jockey life.

ibt29LOjWbQkSf.gif

This story arc feels... forced? Was there signs pointing to this in earlier eps? Don't really recall seeing much of sawa's dad.

I'm a few pages behind on the thread and have been reading some random posts out of the last couple so sorry if your question was already answered.

There actually were signs earlier that Sawa was having problems with her dad just in the last episode. When he leaves on his moped Sawa's mother says goodbye where she just ignores him and he gives her a bit of a glare. Just after when she's showing Wakana how to ride Sabure Sawa outright mentions that her dad doesn't like her wanting to be an equestrian and thinks she should take over the shrine or get a government job. In regards to what happened with Wakana's mother she says
something like Sawa should make up with him just in case something unexpected happens so that her last memories of him aren't being in a fight, somewhat what happened to Wakana and her mother
Sawa just ignores this and then asks if she wants to try jogging with Sabure.

In MariMite, whatshername (Yoko I think) cancelled a vacation to Canada to protect Yumi.

I remember someone posting impressions of a show where there was a French-Canadian girl who was a transfer student. The joke was that she couldn't really speak Japanese and would make odd pauses and inflections when talking. Or just getting things completely wrong or confused.

-Ah, just saw Branduil's post, I guess it was Sketchbook

Also, someone needs to find this sign!
Jl65Dl.jpg

If only Google street view let you go inside major buildings too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 06:

mFlynl.jpg

The frequent incongruity between Watashi's expression and what she's actually thinking never gets old.

Most of this episode was pretty bad. The JRPG parody stuff lurched the episode back into otaku pander territory and was executed in a disappointingly standard way, and the extended
fight sequence against Oyage's giant cat form
dragged on far too long for virtually no benefit to the plot. I see now why people were mentioning Star Trek: The Motion Picture in reference to this episode, but even the
Pion and Oyage are Pioneer and Voyager
twist, while kind of making up for the pointless fluff action that had mostly dominated the episode up to that point, was also a disappointment in that it just didn't tie into the bigger picture at all.

If the concept of
inanimate objects gaining consciousness and humanoid bodies
was hinted to have something to do with the origin of the fairies that would be one thing (and would even make sense given that
fairies die when exposed to electromagnetic particles, suggesting that they're electrical in nature
), but barring future developments this appears to be its own self-contained plot. The one meaningful act that came out of this,
Watashi freeing the satellites from their connection to the Human Monument Project
, was even rendered totally null in significance as
the satellites were ultimately forced to give up their human forms to become a replacement for the generator that Watashi destroyed in her attempt to free them

Also
NOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE HAIR FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK AAAAASHGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG

firehawk12

Subete no aware
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/savinganime16.jpg

not even Baccano or more Good™ Aria can help soothe the pain of lacking the Magi c82 PV ;-;
Good choice! But you need the last two sets! Origination has Sato's return trip to Venice!

well from the preview of the next eps... her tits probably don't have much to worry about.

Funny enough for a split sec I thought she got pregnant (that scene at the maternity ward in an earlier eps was foreshadowing!).

highschool anime needs more pregnant students because... idk, doujins needs better source material.
That happened on Glee. It will never happen in anime. :p

Good Aria is so relaxing.
It is a shame that it has to be labellef good Aria simply because of the existence of evil Aria :(
Well, I just call it Aria!

Gintama 41

Alien vs. Yazuka seems to be the summer hit!

Nice backstory on Kagura. Kinda surprised that this is a three parter.
16 more to go. Watch the movie too when you get there!

Lurky

Well its toned down from the popotan h-game but its still really rather pervish.
Its mostly just a silly show with a cute (but actually slightly depressing) story

Well it still seems like my kind of show.
Edit: Chet, qwaser no stigma would probably be a seven or eight.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Actually the interesting thing about Popotan is that the anime was almost completely original. The plot wasn't based off the source material at all. Really only the characters, and their designs... even their personalities were different.

Jex

It was explicitly stated in the first episode that fairies were future evolutions of humans.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 07:

qVHBh.gif

When I wasn't just trying to keep my brain from tying itself in knots, that was really unsettling. Will try to think of things to say when I'm not too tired.

It was explicitly stated in the first episode that fairies were future evolutions of humans.

Ah, okay then. The specific nature of that evolution is still an important subject that the show needs to address in detail at some point.

Thoraxes

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - 02

I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but I do know that Erio's cuteness is a miracle of this universe.

2Q6oq.jpg
QODE9.jpg

49BHR.jpg
qQXFd.jpg

I want to see where this all goes next.

Jex

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 07:

Ah, okay then. The specific nature of that evolution is still an important subject that the show needs to address in detail at some point.

They probably didn't call it evolution, I imagine that I am misremembering that part, but they were certainly labelled as present-humans that possess supernatural technology.

Hunter x Hunter 43

Damn, is this really the same show that censored some comparatively tame death scenes? They picked a hell of a time to tone that down. This is when shit gets real. It's also when characters I like start dying :(

Next week is going to be crazy. Let's see if they keep the
face bite
in.

Uchip

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 43

Damn, is this really the same show that censored some comparatively tame death scenes? They picked a hell of a time to tone that down. This is when shit gets real. It's also when characters I like start dying :(

Next week is going to be crazy. Let's see if they keep the
face bite
in.

yeah it surprised me too, but it almost seems contradictory to the new tone of the show
which characters die? I don't recall any other than a few villains and minor characters

yeah it surprised me too, but it almost seems contradictory to the new tone of the show
which characters die? I don't recall any other than a few villains and minor characters

Yeah, it's mostly minor characters, but ones that had potential or were cool while they had air time.
Baise, Tocino, Squala, the Shadow Beasts,
and that's just for this arc alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom