• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
YuruYuri♪♪ 7
yuruyuris27.jpg

i didn't know nasu was a writer for this show!

Texhnolyze
Now, the show does have some issues.
Most notably, no reason is ever given for why the surface people are fading away and don't care about life anymore. There are some other unexplained things like this, but that's the biggest one.
I wouldn't really consider that a plot hole or anything.
One can come up with a variety of reasons why humanity might have taken that path, and the "why" isn't nearly as important as the simple fact that it's happening.
I actually really liked how mysterious it was -- it added a lot to the atmosphere.

And second, the prophecy was that the MC would cause the city's doom, or something, but I didn't see that at all...
I'm with you on this, though maybe I'll understand it better on a repeat viewing.
But overall it was a fantastic series, and I usually can't stand
apocalypse
series. This one was just done so much better than anything else vaguely like it I've seen (Saikano, for instance... ugh. Bad.).
I'm all about dem
apocalypses
. iirc, someone recommended Saikano to me awhile ago. Without spoiling anything, could you tell me what you disliked about it?

Yeah, I'm finding that I apparently see Kirito as a much bigger jerk than everyone else does. I'm open to reevaluating his actions, but I'm surprised that the consensus seems to be that I'm wildly off base. Quite honestly, I went into Sword Art Online expecting it to be shamelessly anime and a neverending source of incredulity due to AnimeGAF's collective reaction to Accel World, and so I now realize that I've been interpreting the events of SAO through the most negative lens possible simply due to expectations and not due to what's actually going on in the show.

I still stand by my statement that I wish that SAO was more adventure-focused, but I'll concede the point of Kirito's character for now until I can reevaluate events in a neutral light. Even if he's a good guy I don't feel particularly much for him as a protagonist yet, but that can change with events.
It's totally understandable that you'd watch it that way. For what it is, the show is more competent than it really ought to be.

Season two of Legrange is poorly produced trash.
IDK I think the actual production(art,music,etc) is about the only thing going for it.
besides Madoka
Though I still find myself hooked on the show.
Wait, so is Rinne S2 worth watching or not? I'm getting some mixed signals here.
Its kind of weird they are actually trying to tell a story but its getting too deep into it and doesn't have enough of what made the first season enjoyable. or if you care about the mechs besides the latest episode I don't recall much happening with them this season.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah, the ol' "I'm-insecure-about-the-existence-of-this-fandom-so-I'm-going-to-make-this-thread-about-me" Amir0x trolling.

Massive insecurity describes 90% of the posts in any pony thread, but Amir0x's raging misanthropy and monumental hatred toward anything that challenges his narcissistic delusion that he is the perfect and omniscient God of Opinions always easily manages to rise above everyone else's pedestrian ignorance and trolling. It's impressive, really.

It's totally understandable that you'd watch it that way. For what it is, the show is more competent than it really ought to be.

In some way I'm perversely disappointed because I kind of wanted something that I could consistently expect to be able to rage at every week, but if it's legit good, then that's better!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Massive insecurity describes 90% of the posts in any pony thread, but Amir0x's raging misanthropy and monumental hatred toward anything that challenges his narcissistic delusion that he is the perfect and omniscient God of Opinions always easily manages to rise above everyone else's pedestrian ignorance and trolling. It's impressive, really.
I'm trying to figure out why someone would be insecure about something they're not even a fan of themselves.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's easier than dealing with their own insecurities. It's just bullying in internet form.
I'm trying to understand why those insecurities exist in the first place. If amirox isn't all tsundere for MLP and really doesn't like it, why put that much effort into saying things about the people who do like it.

I'm not going to lie and say I do t think grown men liking MLP isn't a bit goofy, but I don't go out of my way to try and make them feel bad about it either (although for some reason right now I feel I kind of did this in that thread when I argued that MLP fans weren't the same as video game and anime fans).

Yes. They have learned nothing from the mountain.
I don't know what this means.

I'm trying to understand why those insecurities exist in the first place. If amirox isn't all tsundere for MLP and really doesn't like it, why put that much effort into saying things about the people who do like it.

I'm not going to lie and say I do t think grown men liking MLP isn't a bit goofy, but I don't go out of my way to try and make them feel bad about it either (although for some reason right now I feel I kind of did this in that thread when I argued that MLP fans weren't the same as video game and anime fans).
Because Amirox.

Narag

I don't know what this means.

You have to understand Amir0x is really outspoken about his opinions. It's not enough to just have them but he needs reactions to validate them.

Yes. They have learned nothing from the mountain.

I can't forget Arjuna no matter how hard I try. :(

Instro

Hyouka 17

What a wonderful ending to the festival. A lot came together in this episode, between the different story lines going on, and it was handled brilliantly. The intertwining of Houtaru's confrontation with the culprit, Satoshi's frustration, and Mayaka's manga woes was really interesting to watch. Particularly with the way everything ended up tied together in a neat little package. Loved Houtaro laying out his logic during his talk with Juumoji, even though they were just standing there the visual direction made it pretty exciting to watch, between the many different shots in the scene as well as the cuts to Satoshi in the background. Very cool section of the episode, especially with Houtaro playing it so shrewdly and cool.

Looking forward to seeing how the show closes out. I've enjoyed it a lot since the beginning so I'm pretty excited to see what they've got cooked up for a closing episodes coming off such a strong festival arc.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/552332/Evangelion-20-CRC-Anno-Interview/#552332
- I heard that the CG team had a great deal of difficulty with this angel.

Anno: Things didn't go well at all. [There were difficulties with] the sense of enormity and the movement, and there was not enough time. We continually experimented with the image [of the angel] without it becoming settled. The work around that point went on in a total state of confusion. Again, we were doing a variety of things right up until satsuei.

- I heard that the part where [the angel is] defeated was redone an astonishing number of times.

Anno: There were a number of difficulties doing that cut - the movement of the angel up until it liquefies, conveying the size of the angel, the utilization of the initial layout - and in the end we ran out of time, so we finished the minimum possible before the film went to theaters. Just about the only good thing was (Takashi) Hashimoto-kun's sakuga of the wave. Accordingly, in 2.22 we tackled [that sequence] once again.

Hashimoto's SAKUGA wave >>>>> fugly sahaquiel CG abortion confirmed.

Nafe

SDBurton's new avatar really does seem to be the perfect fit.

alot of people that seemed to die in battle just show back up, multiple times.

Those are kind of nitpicks, I think the Thrones thing probably skewed my opinion.

--This post is in regards to Gundam 00--

It's been a couple of years since I've seen the show but when that stuff happened I thought it was kind of annoying except for that one guy where it was a bit of a running gag.

This is actually one of the many reasons why I didn't like the movie. In the movie
I believe that character actually was killed off permanently for whatever reason. Other characters as well, that made it all the way through the show, were also just killed off rather unceremoniously like an afterthought and I personally found it pretty annoying how it was executed.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 04:

YYsjgl.jpg

This is probably some of the better female armor I've seen in an anime.

Unlike Shibata Katsuiie.

Agreed about Nobuna and I just wanted to clarify something about Katsuie. Do you not like her armor in general or are you more specifically referring to the whole "bust bounce" detail?

Wow, an episode that was almost totally free of bullshit until the final couple of minutes with
the grope scene
. Still a really good episode on the whole, as it was mostly just straight-up tactics and plotting and warfare and Protag-kun finally being forced to actually use his brain again. I want more episodes like this.

Agreed that that part was really unnecessary. They could have done that scene in so many other ways. On the plus side, it gave her a legitimate reason to beat him up a little.

Hyouka 17

Checklist for great Hyouka episode:

Irisu appearance: check

10/10 episode.

That depends. Is there Irisu still later on?

ExK9Q.gif

All this love for Irisu...

Reading different forums and messages it seemed everyone hated Irisu and were mentioning they never wanted to see her again. Once again,as usual, it seemed I was alone in my love for something. It's nice to know there are others. Moonspeak and I believe 7Th, have also mentioned they like her.

Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
That was some weird shit...
Felt like I was watching The Fountain or something there at the end.

I pretend like I never watched the movie.

Honestly, for all the people I've seen who have given their thoughts or opinions on the Gundam 00 movie, DTL here at AnimeGaf is the only person I've seen that said they actually liked it.

Tari Tari 7
But, I guess what I want to talk about is this scene:
lf0WEl.jpg

I guess the question is... is an anime grown-up enough to go "there" and
show a girl purge because she is suffering from anorexia or was it just a coincidence that she is wiping her mouth coming out of the bathroom? There was that Reiko Yoshida anime that dealt with a woman suffering from bulimia, but this would be the first time I've seen anorexia in anime form at least.

I applaud them if that's what they're doing and it certainly helps make the show be a bit more important, although
it looks like it'll be completely dropped next episode anyway.
. Of course, I'm only saying this because it's anime. If this was an episode of Glee, I'd probably laugh at it. :p

Having now seen the episode, and apparently like everyone else, that was what immediately came to my mind as well. Honestly my first reaction was something like "Oh no...they're not going there are they?" It could be my own personal dislike for that topic coming into play though.

On the one hand I could agree with you that it could be an interesting topic to cover but in this case it feels kind of forced. Judging by the next episode preview it looks like it will be dropped quickly as well. Although when you only have twelve or thirteen episodes, I guess you'll run into some time limitation problems.

I guess I just wondered why she was doing it. Some mentioned for the horseback riding but it didn't seem like she was doing it before or to this degree. It just made me wonder, why now? Because of the talk with her dad? It was just that in the show
Konatsu clearly expresses surprise when Sawa only has a rice ball for lunch so her eating little seemed out of character. They seemed to want to emphasize this by showing her again skipping dinner at home. Then at school she gets all weak and dizzy and seemed a little out of it during the musical. I don't recall her being shown to be like this before either. Again, it seemed to emphasize her throwing up.

I don't know, I guess it just makes me wonder why start now? or if she was already doing it, why to this extreme?

trejo

Honestly, for all the people I've seen who have given their thoughts or opinions on the Gundam 00 movie, DTL here at AnimeGaf is the only person I've seen that said they actually liked it.

That should tell you all you need to know, really.

Hidan no aria LN

i dont remember why i started reading this... but yeah... fanservice in text! Kugaloli in text!

I think the book is mildly less retarded than the show for what that's worth.

I see no reason why the entirety of the game world can't be interesting. The only limitation on the variety of interesting scenarios possible within the world is the ability of the author to create them, so being presented with an enormous virtual world that's lifeless, empty, and repetitive is a disappointment. Really, integrating the personal struggles of the characters within the world with an exploration element would have been an entirely reasonable thing to achieve within the story.
The real reason why the scenario is like that is because the author made the start , the end and AFTER went to put things in between .. the fact is that the scénario depicted are still strong enough on their own ( imo ). Those struggle and the characters changes within the world are exactly what is adapted .. kirito will change and so will the main heroine. This is told by numerous stories of events on what happenned in SAO.

Kirito has been pretty antisocial since the beginning of the game, though. After befriending Keita only to later state his intention not to team up with him, it was clear that Kirito placed so much faith in his own skill due to having been the best beta tester that he was unable to bring himself to cooperate with anyone else. He was finally able to build up enough trust in the abilities of other players to take part in the Floor 1 boss expedition, but this was shattered when everyone turned on him.

His actions after defeating the floor one boss were fairly exaggerated and theatrical in nature, but he had no reason to "motivate" people who were ostracizing him out of petty jealousy and irrational fear. Because he was being kicked out of the group anyway, it seemed that he simply made his exit in the most cocky, condescending way possible to strike back at everyone.

No. Kirito was able to befriend klein just fine .. and he will befriend a lot of people in this anime.. due to past experiences, he is afraid of people he doesn't know and then the whole beater things happens that put into a bad light for things like having a good gear early when he's only done this to survive.

He had plenty of reason to motivate everyone.
First , he understood the dying guy wish ( it's fairly obvious ).
Second getting people to keep fighting together to clear the game was the goal of this expedition ( most of them will become the advance guard fighting bosses to clear floors )
Third .. as experienced by the very first boss floor , you need people to clear the game.. you can't go solo ( for bosses ) . Even kirito works in team for boss fights

Plenty of reason to motivate everyone and act as the bad guy ...

From the way the scene was depicted, it looked like the player who committed suicide did it partially to spite Kirito for being the "cause" of Diabel's death and presumably the later deaths of other people in that party.

It was just a really clumsily handled scene and shouldn't have been reduced to a few moments. Its potential to be narratively significant was severely stunted by this.
Yeah but you don't suicide yourself out of spite ... they were a real close band of people IRL
The way in which the scene was handled was overkill, is the only problem I have with that. The "trap room" concept was fine, it was just that everyone was totally slaughtered without putting up a fight despite being previously depicted as a skilled, well-prepared guild. It was just too unrealistic for me.
SAO is like that ... there are plenty of traps within the game that are made to kill ( literrally the player ). That's why everyone is in teams ..if you're just a few level under what's necessary you'll probably die.
Wondering alone in a normal dongeon and you might get ambushed ( see ep 4 ) and your risk of dying is quite high ..
Sao is that kind of game .... there is within the story plenty of even more devious traps like this.

Also and i insist on this point .. they weren't a skilled guild .. they were a confident guild that went into an unknow dongeon without being properly prepared ( cockyness ) and died for this .. they were very far from the front lines so they were nowhere close as to be "skilled".
furthermore , even kirito would had died if this wasn't for his "advantage" so the weak guild members being one-shot is nothing surprising.
It's only boring if the author can't think of a way to make it interesting. I would definitely not like several episodes consisting of level grinding, but there's no reason that there couldn't have been a wealth of interesting story content taking place at smaller intervals through the tower.
You should watch more episodes .. there will be quite more intresting stories ( you will like or dislike them ) but the number of different things will be enough for diversity
Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that this is just being adapted clumsily, although what Dresden has posted of the source material in the past doesn't give me much hope that the story would improve all that much even if
timeskips
and such were handled better.

The adaptation is very good ..there is just some things you can't adapt properly no matter what you do ( and thus even when it's perfectly explained in the LN )
EP3 however could have taken an extra episode to show everything properly

Soma

Reading different forums and messages it seemed everyone hated Irisu and were mentioning they never wanted to see her again. Once again,as usual, it seemed I was alone in my love for something. It's nice to know there are others. Moonspeak and I believe 7Th, have also mentioned they like her.

Of course. She's just so perfect~

okDrM.gif

Smile Precure 26

fun times. Yayoi's hair is hnng.

But alas, the whole precure "why rolecall when you are gonna rolecall again 2 min later?" shit is happening.

Hmmm was the final form in precure always this early? Surely they aren't gonna use this for the whole 2nd half of the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom