• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kanon (2001) 3

Another girl. oh my god too what is up with the sword girl??

On a unrelated note, I think I'm blind now.
There are five girls in Kanon. And when you get over the blindness, maybe you'll notice that Kanon 2002 has good characters, a good story, and great pacing. I know no one else here agrees, but as a story I prefer this version to 2006... and plus, KyoAni made it too moe.

You are here. Your climb to 17 begins.
FrNK7.png
Yeah, that pic's pretty accurate.

and the extreme objectification on women and girls in anime doesn't phase you?
hypocrite
That should phase everybody. Without question.

hes never complained.
And Japan has more specific gender roles than western culture, this is a fact.
That's true, but certainly doesn't make them right...

Texhnolyze 15

Caim why would you do that to your hair ;_; Toyama,
your bro status has been suspended. Stop enabling Caim's dips into the dark side, god damn it.
Onishi is such a boss.

please tell me my waifu isn't dead.
:|

Texhnolyze 16

Oh thank god. Crisis averted.

Except not because
Yoshii 2: Texhnohacker Boogaloo has just moved in and he has a goddamn army of cyborgs with high-tech SCIENCE guns. Fuck.
Am I misunderstanding or are
the soldiers implied to be the Lux citizens that the Ghost has converted?
The villain's a bit odd, compared to the series before that point, but as you saw later why he's doing what he's doing eventually is explained...

I know I haven't mentioned him much, but I really like Shinji, as well. It's neat how he's grown up over the course of the series, even if(because?) it's wearing him down all the while.

---

Writing that out, it occurred to me that Texhnolyze has a surprising amount of genuinely likeable characters considering how grimdark it is.

And for all the pacing complaints this series seems to get, my plot-centric impressions still leave out a ton of content from every episode. Stuff is constantly happening all over Lux, and the characters change, evolve, and regress.

edit: also, it's almost 8am and I'm running on empty at this point. Apologies for my rambling.
Yeah, I know I said so already, but the cast of likeable characters really is central to the impact of the series, once you reach the end... with a cast you didn't care about, it wouldn't mean nearly as much. It'd just be another of those "lol violence" shows, which it is not. It's got depth, and so do the characters...
and then they almost all die, the end.

I mean, it's certainly anime, and has its anime moments (
killer cyborgs?
), but it's also more than just that. Of course, coming from the team it is from I'd expect that. What I wasn't quite expecting was how depressing it is... I mean, the staff includes many people who worked on Lain and some from Haibane Renmei. Those have dark parts, but overall aren't nearly this bleak... and that's why I like them more overall, but Texhnolyze is amazing for what it is.

Oh oh .

i was wondering who could be the 2 faces we were seeing in a split second during the opening and i was expecting final bosses or something ...BUT HERE WE GO

Awesome episode , with plenty of fanservice , fights and ACTION..

Shinku , you scored a lot of points today ...
9/10 episode ... especially with the twist at the end...

Kudos for the "i can't see a thing " joke ... well played well played..
Eh, I thought this (ep. 6 of Dog Days') was probably the weakest episode so far this season... still, there were a fair number of amusing parts, sure.

Dog Dads' 6

Thought we were going to get a real villain for the series, but Calvados seems like an alright guy. Does make me thing there's going to be some kind of conflict down the line though.
The way that Calvados was introduced, and then broken down, was enterataining stuff for sure. As I said I did think that the episode wasn't quite as good as the previous ones this season, but yeah, seeing him do what he did, and seem so impressive, and then seeing him get beaten down... good stuff.

My only real complaint would be that Cinque pretty much white knights the female cast, and his princess loves him for it... at least the other two heroes are girls and do just as much to beat the badguy as he does, but still, that bit was a bit offputting.

Prisma Illya is a big upcoming example (what is it with these shows and the word Prisma?), but recent things like Houkago no Pleiades and Twin Angel count.
Yeah, certainly.

It started out that way, but eventually became a fairly solid shounen fighter.

Still got occasional naked loli fanservice, but that's probably due to everyone is pedo.
Expect some degree of this from Fate/Kaleid, too. It's got its fighting element, as well as loli service bits. Now, I don't expect Fate/Kaleid to be as good as the first two seasons of Nanoha, certainly, but hopefully it'll be decent at least...

But anyway, overall, Nanoha is a shonen magical girl show (with lots of well-done action), that's the core genre.

Sailor Victory

90s gag OVA featuring characters from Graduation, this was awesome.

• Hilarious dub
  • Hot 90s nudity
  • Ninja Super Robots
  • So much sexism it makes Shirou from F/SN seem like a gentleman by comparison
  • Lovely mechanical animation
  • Classy hand drawn sakura petals

So good.
You forgot to mention that the girls respond to the sexism by basically making those sexist police jerks irrelevant. :) But yeah, Sailor Victory's good stuff. Why do the good '90s OVAs all seem to get only two episodes...

Queen's Blade: Rurou no Senshi 2

Okay, well this episode actually seemed to have a real story. There were also fewer nipples. I'm not sure what the staff were on when they made the first episode but I guess it was the good stuff. Or they weren't sure if anybody was going to watch it or not. Well, somebody was watching because they haven't stopped making Queen's Blade series since.

Actually, that outfit that Nobuna usually wears is fairly accurate according to history. Nobunaga did dress similarly like that and the whole bra business is probably cause we can't show boobs the whole time in the show cause I guess it's classy?

My point was that bras like that were invented in the 20th century. Modern-styled underwear is a 20th century invention; underwear before looked different, usually, when it was worn... (I mean, without synthetic fabrics, plastic, stretchy stuff, etc, obviously the garments are going to be quite different.) You're right though, the outerwear's not nearly as bad, in that case at least.

On that note though, of course, actual art we have of ancient female Japanese warriors (there were a few here and there) always has them dressed just like the male warriors -- that is, covered up and in armor -- but... well...

Yeah... all that armor.

If they wanted to keep it totally classy, she'd have a sarashi instead of a bra, I guess.
Yeah, should have been a sarashi. That'd have worked well. By making it a bra though, they say "we don't care about history at all!" And of cousre they don't, so maybe it's a fair statement to make, as with just about everything about Manyuu Hikenchou for instance, but as Nobuna isn't as flagrantly ahistorical in that one, apart for gender of course, I don't know if it's as good a decision here.

I don't think Kirby has a confirmed gender.
I've never heard Kirby referred to as anything other than male, though...

Lurky

Queen's Blade: Rurou no Senshi 2

Okay, well this episode actually seemed to have a real story. There were also fewer nipples. I'm not sure what the staff were on when they made the first episode but I guess it was the good stuff. Or they weren't sure if anybody was going to watch it or not. Well, somebody was watching because they haven't stopped making Queen's Blade series since.

Guilty as charged.

Prisma Illya is a big upcoming example (what is it with these shows and the word Prisma?), but recent things like Houkago no Pleiades and Twin Angel count.

Let's be completely honest with ourselves here, I don't think anybody seriously believes that magical girl shows are really for young Japanese girls anymore. Half of Animu-GAF seriously watch things like Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure and pretend they aren't watching them to watch cute girls doing cute things. I don't even know what the point of pretending is anymore, nobody is being fooled. Things like Nanoha and Madoka are more straightforward about who their real audience is. Prisma Illya just doesn't give a fuck, the creators know who their real audience is and they're going to give them what they want. There's no reason to live a lie, if you enjoyed Nanoha and Cardcaptor Sakura and ever imagined someone would mash them together into the Type-Moon universe, you might as well drop the holier-than-thou act and watch Prisma Illya. Because you might find you actually like it. Imagine that.

Articalys

Weekly Sales for Aug 6-12:

------------------------

Blu-ray
*1, 6,534 **6,534 Mouretsu Pirates vol.6 Limited Edition
*2, 1,278 **8,635 Kuroko no Basket vol.1
*3, 1,171 *22,196 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.2
*4, 1,060 105,704 K-On! (Movie) Limited Edition
*5, *,885 *48,242 Nisemonogatari vol.4 Limited Edition
*6, *,728 ***,728 Sengoku Collection vol.4
*7, *,575 *18,296 Persona 4 The Animation vol.9 Limited Edition
*8, *,523 **8,210 Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Reprint Edition
*9, *,520 *10,474 My Neighbor Totoro
10, *,463 121,615 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5

DVD
*1, 2,642 *,**2,642 Samurai Pizza Cats DVD Box
*2, 1,984 1,152,270 My Neighbor Totoro
*3, 1,719 *,*15,166 Summer Wars Reprint Edition
*4, 1,562 *,**4,395 Naruto: Shippuuden Special Naruto Tanjo
*5, 1,354 *,**1,354 Sengoku Collection vol.4
*6, 1,272 *,*52,930 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition
*7, 1,202 *,*24,016 One Piece Log Collection "Nico Robin"
*8, 1,184 *,*23,815 One Piece Log Collection "CP9"
*9, 1,110 *,*10,521 Kuroko no Basket vol.1
10, *,940 *,*18,117 K-On! (Movie) Standard Edition
11, *,826 *,**9,725 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.2
12, *,649 *,*32,738 K-On! (Movie) Limited Edition
13, *,612 *,485,978 Kiki's Delivery Service
14, *,564 *,***,564 Fukkoku! Toei Animation Manga Fest Spring 1969
15, *,556 *,**7,922 Precure All Stars New Stage: Mirai no Tomodachi Special Edition
16, *,552 *,*36,571 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition

Single CD
*5, 39,478 39,478 Sword Art Online "crossing field"
*9, 22,537 22,537 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master vol.6 Ranko
10, 18,416 18,416 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master vol.8 Kirari
11, 17,763 17,763 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master vol.7 Miku
12, 17,629 17,629 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master vol.10 Uzuki
13, 17,578 17,578 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master vol.9 Mika
15, 12,153 87,532 Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 2nd A's "Bright Stream"
16, 11,574 11,574 Uchuu Kyoudai "Eureka"
20, *7,198 *7,198 Kuroko no Basket "Catal Rhythm"
21, *7,092 53,690 AKB0048 "Kibo ni Tsuite"
27, *4,854 *4,854 Tari Tari "Shiokaze no Harmony"
31, *3,702 19,051 Sword Art Online "Yume Sekai"
35, *3,366 *3,366 Houkago Midnighters "Re:myend"
38, *2,977 *2,977 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II "Sora no Uta"
40, *2,854 *2,854 Hakuouki Reimeiroku "Reimei"
42, *2,745 *2,745 Shinryaku! Ika Musume OVA "Puzzle"
43, *2,708 *2,708 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II "Kanashimi wa Dare no Negai demo Nai"
47, *2,470 *2,470 Arcana Famiglia "Magenta Another Sky"
49, *2,418 *2,418 Hagure Yuusha no Estetica "Realization"
50, *2,325 *6,560 Tari Tari "Dreamer"

--------------

Temporal (first volumes) Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings for Spring 2012
*1, 19,156 Kuroko no Basket
*2, *9,891 Accel World
*3, *9,455 Hyouka
*4, *9,200 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
*5, *7,990 AKB0048
*6, *6,966 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A
*7, *4,887 Eureka Seven AO
*8, *4,698 Natsuiro Kiseki
*9, *4,494 Tsuritama
10, *3,759 Queen's Blade: Rebellion
11, *3,588 Nazo no Kanojo X
12, *3,499 Jormungand
13, *3,302 Sengoku Collection
14, *3,192 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead
15, *2,520 Acchi Kocchi
16, *2,180 Hiiro no Kakera
17, *2,059 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
18, *2,037 Sakamichi no Apollon
19, *1,487 Sankarea
20, *1,133 Shirokuma Cafe
21, **,882 Kimi to Boku. 2
22, **,612 Zetman

Medaka Box (483 < DVD < 1,133, Blu-ray < 1,470)
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan (309 < DVD < 483, Blu-ray < 1,470)

cajunator

Banned
I watch mahou shoujo for those exact reasons.
You dont think I would watch a magical girl show for the story, do you?
But in Prisma Ilya's case she just isnt a cute design.
I prefer Type Moon's design.

wonzo

Banned
Weekly Sales for Aug 6-12:

------------------------

Blu-ray
*6, *,728 ***,728 Sengoku Collection vol.4

DVD
*5, 1,354 *,**1,354 Sengoku Collection vol.4

------------------------

Temporal (first volumes) Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings for Spring 2012
Medaka Box (483 < DVD < 1,133, Blu-ray < 1,470)
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan (309 < DVD < 483, Blu-ray < 1,470)
lol

I post a lot on AnimeSuki too. :(

I do too, but it seems we will never cross paths there since that's the way AS works. As an omnibus thread, Animu-GAF works a lot better in terms of people who like different things actually interacting and discovering things they wouldn't otherwise have tried watching.

Uchip

Banned
"quality of execution" is vague
and says nothing about the subject matter
its almost like saying "watch anime for its shot composition and transitions"

Uchip

Banned
It's not a sarcastic answer. Equating "having actual knowledge" with "going to school" is laughable.

then how about putting your money where your mouth is and going into a bit more detail than "quality of execution", or more laughably "bleach filler camerawork"
or are they just catch phrases to make you sound knowledgeable?

not once have I seen you actually explain why something was well directed or poorly directed.

duckroll

I noticed that no one in AnimeGAF thread has talked about Key the Metal Idol in ages. Maybe it's time to get people who hasn't seen it before to watch it and post impressions!

Risette

A Good Citizen
then how about putting your money where your mouth is and going into a bit more detail than "quality of execution", or more laughably "bleach filler camerawork"
or are they just catch phrases to make you sound knowledgeable?
I've gone into detail plenty of times and are you seriously still bitter over that Avatar thing?

Uchip

Banned
I've gone into detail plenty of times and are you seriously still bitter over that Avatar thing?

its a prime example of misplaced priorities, and doesn't actually say much at all.
Link me one of your reviews or something if you feel that you have said something with actual substance.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I noticed that no one in AnimeGAF thread has talked about Key the Metal Idol in ages. Maybe it's time to get people who hasn't seen it before to watch it and post impressions!

I'll add it to my to watch list that I'll get round to when I'm 96.

cajunator

Banned

Actually thats one of the old animes I keep intending to buy but is sold out and difficult to find.
I need to check ebay again for it.
I havent seen it in like a decade.
A few others are Nadia, Sukeban Deka, and Ushio and Tora

duckroll

Gen Butch retweeted the Psycho-Pass official twitter. I guess it's almost confirmed that he's writing the show now, as if it wasn't already obvious enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom