• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

As an occasional victim of KyoAni I was wondering if you had any idea what leads them to create so many 'boring' works? Is it just part of their studio culture? It seems odd to me that a studio staffed with so many talented people so often fails to achieve the basics of entertainment.

Beats me. I didn't even watch K-On! If they made more shows which actually interested me, maybe I would care more to find out. As it is, I don't really care much.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why would you even question the presence of Frieza in K-On? KyoAni and DBZ go way back together.

ZWdRr.jpg

jman2050

As an occasional victim of KyoAni I was wondering if you had any idea what leads them to create so many 'boring' works? Is it just part of their studio culture? It seems odd to me that a studio staffed with so many talented people so often fails to achieve the basics of entertainment.

I guess a big part of it is what they choose to adapt. Haruhi certainly isn't boring, at least most of the time (Someday in the Rain/Endless Eight say hi!) Nichijou is energetic and only manages to be boring most of the time by virtue of being a comedy that isn't humorous. Lucky Star is a similar deal. Not even KyoAni can save K-On from itself.

I guess the only real wish I have of KyoAni is to pick better stuff to adapt.

Ultimadrago

Nichijou is energetic and only manages to be boring most of the time by virtue of being a comedy that isn't humorous.

You know, a number of the comedies praised by the most avid of Nichijou "haters" aren't "funny" for the most part. I find this in itself quite humorous.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka makes me miss Nichijou actually, even if I found it to be hit and miss at times. At least Nichijou didn't hinge itself on a structurally crippled narrative.

Articalys

Round 1, Group B, Day 3 Results:

B03
1st 288 Shinobu Oshino @ Nisemonogatari
2nd 220 Shirayuki Hotogi @ Hidan No Aria
3rd 150 Ayame Shaga @ Ben-To

B07
1st 293 Azusa Nakano @ K-On!
2nd 256 Sakurako Oomuro @ Yuru Yuri
3rd 167 Yuno @ Hidamari Sketch

B11
1st 259 Yozora Mikazuki @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
2nd 255 Chihaya Ayase @ Chihayafuru
3rd 151 Nazuna @ Hidamari Sketch

-----------------------------------------------

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Even in such a vulnerable state, Princess Chode Sack still fills me with terror. Good thing my White Knaitfu is there to protect me.

To think I'm allied with you in the SAO Waifu Wars. We are living in dark times.
That is an interesting title you have for her there.

I'm missing something aren't I?

Yuru Yuri 8

Pretty good episode, but it was lessened quite a bit by an overabundance of the terrible Chinatsu. On top of that, any amount of focus on her pairing with best girl, as was shown in the last segment, is entirely mediocre. All in all, this episode needed more Kyoko x Yui, as does the entire show. The tsun duet between Himawari and Sakurako was great though, as were all the scenes that involved Kyoko being awesome.

However the festival arc had a decent amount of character development and interaction and it managed to do all that without being as dull as growing mushrooms. That is major strike against the episode and the series as a whole.

KyoAni studios are infected by 'boring' and I don't know how they can be cured.

Even though I thoroughly enjoy Hyouka and consider it one of KyoAni's best shows, I can definitely understand why some find it boring. The only show by KyoAni that I consider to be rather boring is Nichijou, and a few particular parts of Haruhi.

Although it certainly remains to be seen, Chuunibyou looks like it has the potential to be a considerable departure from their "duller" works.

I suppose, as jman pointed out, that it mostly comes down to what they've chosen to adapt. They certainly have the talent and ability to create more appealing/entertaining shows, judging by their consistently unique and imaginative commercials. I think they're one of the top studios though, so I've never had a problem with their style.

Jex

You know, a number of the comedies praised by the most avid of Nichijou "haters" aren't "funny" for the most part. I find this in itself quite humorous.
You know what, forget it. This thread is garbage.

Wow.

Also, I don't find strawmen argument particularly compelling. Some people liked Nichijou, other people did not. It's just like any other series except that, because it's a comedy, the reactions to it are far stronger. Comedies are, by their nature, either funny or not funny.

Jex

Beats me. I didn't even watch K-On! If they made more shows which actually interested me, maybe I would care more to find out. As it is, I don't really care much.
I guess a big part of it is what they choose to adapt. Haruhi certainly isn't boring, at least most of the time (Someday in the Rain/Endless Eight say hi!) Nichijou is energetic and only manages to be boring most of the time by virtue of being a comedy that isn't humorous. Lucky Star is a similar deal. Not even KyoAni can save K-On from itself.

I guess the only real wish I have of KyoAni is to pick better stuff to adapt.
I suppose the material that they chose to adapt has to be the largest factor in determining whether or not I (and presumably others) find their work interesting. Perhaps there's no amount of talent anywhere on earth that could have made the story of Hyouka - 18 interesting to watch. Mundanity is inherently boring.

Perhaps I just find it hard to swallow that far weaker studios can churn out interesting works with surprisingly regularity where as KyoAni really struggle to produce anything that can stop me from nodding enough.

Articalys

Following famous people on Twitter can sometimes lead to amusing things happening. For example, someone just tweeted the following question to famous astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: "Do you think we'll ever be able to reverse entropy? Hoping to hold off heat death. Good to plan ahead... "

To be fair, it was in response to Tyson answering someone else's question of "is there an upper limit for temperature", not for the reasons we might have asked it.

Does this happen every time a new Hyouka episode is released?

Because, man, I'd rather have list wars.
What if it's a list war about which KyoAni shows are the least/most boring?
Following famous people on Twitter can sometimes lead to amusing things happening. For example, someone just tweeted the following question to famous astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: "Do you think we'll ever be able to reverse entropy? Hoping to hold off heat death. Good to plan ahead... "
Nice.

Jex

huh? What's wrong here? From "based KyoAni" to KyoAni is boring in just 24 hours.

I don't know what's odd about this. It follows a fairly established discussion we've been having about Hyouka. It goes a little something like this:

1 - 11: This show is really, really, pretty but kind of dull. All these mysteries seem to be revolve around really boring, mundane stuff that doesn't really tie into anything at all.

12 - 17: Hmm, the characters in the show actually seem to be having fun and engaging in interesting activities that also further develops them. The mystery is nicely integrated into the plot as a whole and builds up over the course of the arc before culminating in a satisfying finale and it's just as pretty as it was before.

18: I hear mushrooms grow better with electricity.

That Hyouka has become boring again is just a return to how the show began. There's nothing odd about this.

So was just reading through some backlog of the thread. I was actually curious to see what they said about it and the justification. I then went to the forum and read the talkback of the review.

The reviewer wrote this.

I now know to ignore their opinion as a whole because they're either an idiot or a troll.

Wow. That's...yeah.

I'm used to shitty opinions and bad reviews from ANN, but the entire construction of that argument just hurts my head.

Hyouka is less boring than Kids on the Slope.*

*When the characters aren't playing music.

Kids on the Slope is many things, but boring is certainly not one of them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuru Yuri 8

Pretty good episode, but it was lessened quite a bit by an overabundance of the terrible Chinatsu. On top of that, any amount of focus on her pairing with best girl, as was shown in the last segment, is entirely mediocre. All in all, this episode needed more Kyoko x Yui, as does the entire show. The tsun duet between Himawari and Sakurako was great though, as were all the scenes that involved Kyoko being awesome.
Chinatsu is probably in the top three yuri rankings for me, so this episode was heartwarming at times, heartbreaking at others. It sort of had a very strange feel to it, unlike the rest of the season two stuff so far. A lot of the humor was darker than usual, and there was more reliance on caricatures to deliver the punch lines.

cajunator

Banned

All of this pales in comparison to the true king, Azumanga Daioh.
Personally I'd recommend checking out Galaxy angel because
1. It has short episodes
2. It has lots of cute characters (although of the uguu variety)
3. The music is super catchy happy stuff
4. The show is on drugs
5. There are so many episodes, that if something isnt funny its only a matter of time before you find something that is hilarious.
6. Because Mint is in it.

I don't even like KotS that much but this post is abysmal.

Kids on the Slope was a bit dull sometimes but it was done well enough to hold interest the whole way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom