• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I suppose the material that they chose to adapt has to be the largest factor in determining whether or not I (and presumably others) find their work interesting. Perhaps there's no amount of talent anywhere on earth that could have made the story of Hyouka - 18 interesting to watch. Mundanity is inherently boring.

That's the whole point of an adaptation. You cut out the boring shit and animate the rest. Novel purists are the people you never listen to when adapting a work.

i just realized... if you remove the k, kotaku is otaku.

:eek:
i3IMbYXZIRSL3.gif

jman2050

Yuru Yuri S2 8

Way too much Chinatsu. At least most of it was her either getting owned or suffering, so that helped things a bit. Again, Kyouko is the best part of this show.

Ah well, at least there won't be any more Chinatsu episodes and this one is just about to finis-- what? WHAT?

WHY?

ZRm4w.jpg

duckroll

You know, I didn't notice it before, but somehow they seem to have updated a minor thing on the Staff page of the Magi anime site: http://www.project-magi.com/staff/index.html

Naotaka Hayashi is credited as the "Series Unit Director". I guess he's one of the staff who will be apparently helping Masunari with the more action driven parts of the series as mentioned by the producers.

duckroll

That's the whole point of an adaptation. You cut out the boring shit and animate the rest. Novel purists are the people you never listen to when adapting a work.

But here's the interesting thing about Hyouka. It's not really a pure adaptation. Ep18 for example, does not exist in any of the published novels. It is a short story printed in the magazine which carries Hyouka stuff many years ago. They went out of their way to find it, just to include it back into the continuity. This is why the episode does not have an English catchphrase at the end of the episode, just like ep11.5 didn't. The catchphrases are used to identify which novel they're from, because each one has an English catchphrase as a sort of subtitle.

Clearly the staff working on Hyouka enjoy and respect the work, and they're not just adapting it blindly. They probably don't think it is boring either, or there is no reason for them to go out of their way to find more material to expand the series with. I don't think they're really "listening" to anyone other than themselves.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 6:
It's the mark of a great show when you just sit there watching in a captivated manner the whole episode, and are then surprised when the ending credits start rolling. That's what this episode was like for me. It didn't feel like that much time passed at all. These last two episodes have done a great job at developing Shimao's character. It's really interesting to see how his new experiences are pushing him into different directions and doing things that I never would have expected. I also love the way Rokka's flashbacks are used, and how they reflect upon the current events through a mirror. With the current setup, we're getting a lot of double meanings in just about every scene, where two characters are talking and each one has a profoundly different understanding of what is actually going on, which leads to some very interesting conversations for the viewer.

I also love how Hazuki is just taking everything in complete stride. It's pretty hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I expected this kind of response from you because that's a perfectly reasonable argument.

However the festival arc had a decent amount of character development and interaction and it managed to do all that without being as dull as growing mushrooms. That is major strike against the episode and the series as a whole.

KyoAni studios are infected by 'boring' and I don't know how they can be cured.
I don't need to be distracted by the side characters in order to be entertained! Perhaps you might find Oreki boring (and really, his story isn't new or anything), but I don't think the show itself is boring.

Squid Girl OVA

Better than Sword Art Online by a mile!

There's a lot of :wonzo in this, but at least it's used well at times:
I thought Sanae going 2d because of her hard stop was amusingly cartooney.

Anyhoo, I hope S3 is being planned in some moe factory somewhere. Although I guess S2 bomba'ed.

YuruYuri 8
Why is there a random shot of the Falls here?

Poor SDBurton. :(

Jarmel

Banned
But here's the interesting thing about Hyouka. It's not really a pure adaptation. Ep18 for example, does not exist in any of the published novels. It is a short story printed in the magazine which carries Hyouka stuff many years ago. They went out of their way to find it, just to include it back into the continuity. This is why the episode does not have an English catchphrase at the end of the episode, just like ep11.5 didn't. The catchphrases are used to identify which novel they're from, because each one has an English catchphrase as a sort of subtitle.

Clearly the staff working on Hyouka enjoy and respect the work, and they're not just adapting it blindly. They probably don't think it is boring either, or there is no reason for them to go out of their way to find more material to expand the series with. I don't think they're really "listening" to anyone other than themselves.

That sounds even worse. That's like if Jackson was trying to adapt the LOTR trilogy and not only filmed everything in the books but added in stuff from the Silmarillion. Stuff like that is usually left out for a reason.

I imagine most people working at KyoAni's definition of a fun Saturday night is writing letters to the editor at Cat Fancy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That sounds even worse. That's like if Jackson was trying to adapt the LOTR trilogy and not only filmed everything in the books but added in stuff from the Silmarillion. Stuff like that is usually left out for a reason.
I'm sure there are film-only additions in LOTR, as there are in any adaptation that changes media.

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ - Episode 8

I never saw true horror until witnessing that ending...

681dac70.jpg

Overall I enjoyed this episode due to the karaoke bit. Everyone's singing was great with Yui being at the top of course (Yui's singing voice is best).

I don't prefer Chinatsu/Yui but the segment was entertaining for the most part and then there was the ending... oh gawd...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I imagine the most people working at KyoAni's definition of a fun Saturday night is writing letters to the editor at Cat Fancy.

At least they're reading magazines and not stewing them in a pot of water for subsistence!

maybe idle hands are the (boredom) devil's playground after all

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yuru Yuri S2 - 08

Hell yeah! Episode focused on Chinatsu! Heart desire to be with Yui needs to be acknowledge and respected! That girl has heart!

M7xxr.png

That ending! Holy shit!

Muv-Luv 7
jipwdkwgISmH9.jpg

This one image is basically the show in a nutshell.

I take back what I said. Instead, I'd like to live in an alternate reality where this version of the show and a new version that's completely void of grimdarkness exist, because I find myself growing worryingly attached to these characters and their interactions. It's yet another show this season that's just really fun.

In particular, I've really warmed up to Yuuya. He's this incredible blend of insecure asshole, charismatic swagmaster, and goody two-shoes boyscout, and I love it.

Another helping of butts. Delicious butts. Also, dat chest hair.

jZoXZhHvMqnCj.jpg

Bridge bunnies keeping it real.

PewPewK

Squid Girl OVA

Better than Sword Art Online by a mile!

There's a lot of :wonzo in this, but at least it's used well at times:

I thought Sanae going 2d because of her hard stop was amusingly cartooney.

Anyhoo, I hope S3 is being planned in some moe factory somewhere. Although I guess S2 bomba'ed.

There's a new Squid Girl OVA? I must find this!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Muv-Luv 7

I take back what I said. Instead, I'd like to live in an alternate reality where this version of the show and a new version that's completely void of grimdarkness exist, because I find myself growing worryingly attached to these characters and their interactions. It's yet another show this season that's just really fun.

In particular, I've really warmed up to Yuuya. He's this incredible blend of insecure asshole, charismatic swagmaster, and goody two-shoes boyscout, and I love it.

Another helping of butts. Delicious butts. Also, dat chest hair.

Isn't there like, an entire war going on and shit, and they're all goofing off havin hella beach fun?

Isn't there like, an entire war going on and shit, and they're all goofing off havin hella beach fun?
They're a ragtag band of rejects from various countries, and they aren't on the front lines. It's also meant to be a publicity/morale stunt to keep spirits high and encourage enlistment while keeping people's minds off the fact that humanity is currently staring down the barrel of a loaded gun.

edit: also what DTL said about camaraderie.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri 8

Why is there a random shot of the Falls here?

One of her puns was based off of Niagara Falls. She had Buckingham Palace in the last series.

Also I didn't have enough alcohol to cope with that ED. That subtle 3D was over the top.

One of her puns was based off of Niagara Falls. She had Buckingham Palace in the last series.

Also I didn't have enough alcohol to cope with that ED. That subtle 3D was over the top.

I would say we need to make .gifs of that ED, but the horror might be too much to bear to go through it...

BTW nice change of Avatar, you are true Akarin!

Kingdom 12
tumblr_m92t7xfb481qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty thrilling episode on both battlefronts. Xin is really good, always good with his great sword skills.

Bi taking one for the team was surprising and then when he was felled, I was almost in tears!

Wei Xing though, cant wait to see how he versus Changewen will go.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yuru Yuri S2 08:

Chinatsu, you suck. Stop bothering the others. Yui taking 10 for the team.

Karaoke times. Chinatsu still sucks.

Yui x Chinatsu hanging out why? Yui, you dun have to feel guilty about a dumb character.

See, she even completely ruins the ED. Seriously, this is the stuff of nightmares.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yuru Yuri S2 08:

Chinatsu, you suck. Stop bothering the others. Yui taking 10 for the team.

Karaoke times. Chinatsu still sucks.

Yui x Chinatsu hanging out why? Yui, you dun have to feel guilty about a dumb character.

See, she even completely ruins the ED. Seriously, this is the stuff of nightmares.

I thought we were friends Zel....

*click*
*click*
*click*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom