• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this the thread where I could ask for anime recommendations? This may sound weird, but I was looking at Evangelion at the exchanges between Misato and Ritsuko thinking, "Yeah, I could watch a show like that." :p

Basically, after watching Nazo no Kanojo, I'm growing bored of High School anime. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that's ever made. I'd like to see an anime that

1) doesn't take place in a High School
2) preferably centered around college age people and older
3) set in the present day (i.e. not feudal Japan or a robot/cyborg-heavy future)
4) has at least a little comedy in it.

I guess in a way an anime similar to many American sitcoms. lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So is this the thread where I could ask for anime recommendations? This may sound weird, but I was looking at Evangelion at the exchanges between Misato and Ritsuko thinking, "Yeah, I could watch a show like that." :p

Basically, after watching Nazo no Kanojo, I'm growing bored of High School anime. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that's ever made. I'd like to see an anime that

3) set in the present day (i.e. not feudal Japan or a robot/cyborg-heavy future)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshiken

Here you go.

Dead

well not really...yet

Honey and Clover is all I can think of at the moment. The first season is wonderful, but I dont remember thinking much of the 2nd.

trejo

Space Brothers is set in the present(ish) day and features adults as the main characters with Nanba Mutta in particular being probably one of the most relatable and likeable protagonists I've ever seen. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least check it out.

cajunator

Banned
It doesn't seem like my kind of anime though...

But it has Ohno...
UHedT.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nah, her hair is totally purple.
I've seen lots o' blue haired girls and they are a lovely species, but Haruna is not amongst them.

I would say its blue. It does indeed at times go towards the purple spectrum.

I have a roommate who bought the School Days VN apparently without knowing about any of the craycray endings. It's sitting on her desk right now, staring at me.

Is your roommate hot? A/S/L?

One Piece 164 - 173

Bon Voyage, in English, is starting to grow on me, or rather just the way she says it (FuniDub). The ending theme, A to Z, though sounds awful. I think all these ending songs are awful. Really, they pale in great comparison to the songs found in Naruto/Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, for example. Howver I do love the "Come back to your friends" x 8 with each Straw Hat showing up (FuniDub).

Skypeia itself is still pretty not good. Just lots of fights of characters no one cares about being defeated in dull ways (well Zoro's was awesome), and then just backstory of characters no one cares about (does anyone really care about the history of these weaklings in Upper Yard, not me).

Still I didnt remember
that Jaya was blasted up there and that was how all that land is there, or that there was some entity, unkown that fixed up the Going Merry, who was it?!

Lurky

It's about a college club of losers that like to read and make doujins and play hentai games. I'm not sure how you can say it isn't up your alley.

Hmm... I didn't see the part about hentai. I better put this on my watchlist then :p
Edit: I also probably overlooked this because it said college. >_>

Honey and Clover

I second this recommendation. Fantastic show. Although, despite it's high quality remaining the same for me, the second season definitely becomes quite a bit more serious.

: l
If we are assembling YuruYuri OTPs it's:
KyoukoxAyano
YuixChinatsu
HimawarixSakurako
AkarixAkane

Kyouko x Yui
Himawari x Sakurako
Nana x Rise
Tomoko x Akari
Chitose x Ayano
Akane x Akari pillow
Chinatsu forever alone

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Man, that's kind of tough. I totally understand what you're looking for, but not a lot exists.

I haven't seen it, but The Tatami Galaxy might fulfill your criteria based upon what I've heard about it. A more unconventional suggestion might be Arakawa Under the Bridge, which is the first thing that pops into my head when I think "modern sitcom with adults in a non-school setting". It's bizarre and divisive, but you may enjoy it.

Personally, you may want to reconsider Genshiken unless you're interested in the concept of anime that deal with hardcore otaku culture. Arcana Famiglia is also a definite no--not trying to throw my fellow animegaffers under the bus, but DTL is the only one here who likes it, and only because it's a show about pretty boys doing pretty boy things. He means well, but he doesn't enjoy the things that he enjoys for the same reasons that you or most of us do. It's an extraordinarily vapid show that exists solely as advertisement for a Visual Novel for female otaku and not remotely worth your time.

Instro

Princess Jellyfish.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Love Hina

trejo

I guess if he's looking for anime that feels like american sitcoms he could also give Working! a shot, since it basically is a sitcom in animated form, the second season much more so. Granted, a number of the characters are in high school but there's a fair number of adults too and it never really takes place inside a high school setting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I guess if he's looking for anime that feels like american sitcoms he could also give Working! a shot, since it basically is a sitcom in animated form, the second season much more so. Granted, a number of the characters are in high school but there's a fair number of adults too and it never really takes place inside a high school setting.
We're supposed to recommend good shows though.

cajunator

Banned

This too. No high school involved. It all takes place at restaurant Wagnaria. Yamada is a goddess.

Cwarrior

One Piece - 532

This episode just reaffirmed my thoughts that Luffy will never have a girlfriend/wife. The guy is such an asshole.

the man looks like his doing fine.

I find it odd that you marathoned like 100eps of one piece and all your posts are about the girls and not the plot.

Unfortunately, these days there are only other women in One Piece in the sense that all of the identical incarnations of Oda's female have slight variances in personality.

huh not sure what you trying to say but sounds like your insinuating the females in one piece have similar personalities, which is untrue, take for example recent ladys of one piece.

Boa,kemi,shirahoshi,persona, nami and robin personalities are nothing alike, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom